Norwegian Jade - MDRs and long cruises

11 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

i have seen a video of the RCL churrascaria and it looked awful; NCLs top notch especially the "buffet"/ starter bar. 

Moderno is classified as one of the fixed-price restaurants? So, one of the ones that should be booked first before the à la cart venues? 

DINNER

COMPLIMENTARY

Grand Pacific Main Dining

Alizar Main Dining 

Jasmine Garden - Asian

Garden Café Buffet 

COVER CHARGE APPLIES

Moderno - Brazilian

Teppanyaki - Asian 

A LA CARTE CHARGE APPLIES

Cagney's Steakhouse

La Cucina - Italian

Le Bistro - French 

Sushi - Asian 

16 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

the bean pie with matcha ice cream is the best dessert on the ship. i will eat somewhere else and stop there for just for dessert.

i am not even a dessert person, i am a savory person...it is just that good.  

Looks like I’m going have to screenshot this and add it to my list just so I don’t forget! 🥰

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, YVRteacher said:

Those seats are reserved for high level latitudes guests.

Maybe I can flash my ORANGE beginners card at them and they’ll have pitty. 🤣Although I’ve read greasing the palm of the waitstaff or maître d may help. 😉

7 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Maybe I can flash my ORANGE beginners card at them and they’ll have pitty. 🤣Although I’ve read greasing the palm of the waitstaff or maître d may help. 😉

The tables by the picture windows are usually 4 top (4 people) or 6 top (6 people) not 2 top (one or two people).

13 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Moderno is classified as one of the fixed-price restaurants? So, one of the ones that should be booked first before the à la cart venues? 

um, its fixed price as opposed to a la cart yes.

idk about booked first i always use my "free at sea" and platinum meals...and occasionally purchase vouchers before i sail.

with the a la cart if you use whatever kind of voucher, they treat it like a "fixed price" because you get a starter main dessert type set up.

i know out of pocket the a la cart prices can run "out of control" very quickly. 

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

The tables by the picture windows are usually 4 top (4 people) or 6 top (6 people) not 2 top (one or two people).

I grabbed a couple of screenshots from a walk-through video and posted them on a different thread. I wonder if it varies by sailing, but most of all these look like two tops? 

IMG_0851.jpeg

IMG_0852.jpeg

Edited by dmwnc1959

7 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

idk about booked first i always use my "free at sea" and platinum meals...and occasionally purchase vouchers before i sail.

with the a la cart if you use whatever kind of voucher, they treat it like a "fixed price" because you get a starter main dessert type set up.

i know out of pocket the a la cart prices can run "out of control" very quickly. 

In order to give all the other dining venues a fair shake I’ve settled on the 5-night specialty dining package, plus the two FAS. If I add Moderno, I’ll have to make sure to add it on a night when we leave port late in order to hope that it won’t be packed early in the evening. For Le Bistro it’s on the night that we leave Guatemala at 9pm, that is if we even go there.  Maybe I can add Moderno to the night we’re in LA and we leave at 11pm. Or vice versa. 😉

8 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

If I add Moderno, I’ll have to make sure to add it on a night when we leave port late in order to hope that it won’t be packed early in the evening.

it is my father and i; it is our "tradition" to do moderno on the last night of any cruise we are on, as a consolation prize of sorts.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSUjohn said:

the bean pie with matcha ice cream is the best dessert on the ship. i will eat somewhere else and stop there for just for dessert.

i am not even a dessert person, i am a savory person...it is just that good.  

The coconut tapioca pudding would like a word. I'm not a tapioca person, but that was honestly the best dessert I had on that cruise...and I had it four times. Kudos to our waiter for recommending it...as well as an extra tip. (Oops...not another tipping thread...)

20 minutes ago, MSUjohn said:

it is my father and i; it is our "tradition" to do moderno on the last night of any cruise we are on, as a consolation prize of sorts.

That’s so fantastic! Absolutely heartwarming! 🥰

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

The coconut tapioca pudding would like a word. I'm not a tapioca person, but that was honestly the best dessert I had on that cruise...and I had it four times. Kudos to our waiter for recommending it...as well as an extra tip. (Oops...not another tipping thread...)

I’ve never had tapioca pudding before either! Another cut and paste to my dining reminders. 🤣

34 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

If I add Moderno, I’ll have to make sure to add it on a night when we leave port late in order to hope that it won’t be packed early in the evening

I would not waste time nor a FAS or dining package meal on Moderno.  We've given it a bunch of tries on the Jewel-class ships and NCL just can't pull off a churrascaria.  The meats were invariably cold, tough, poor quality.  I realize that food is subjective, and other folks may feel differently.  But we've decided we are done with Moderno.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, YVRteacher said:

Those seats are reserved for high level latitudes guests.

I'm sure that is sometimes true, but not always.

When we were last on the Jade they were sitting everyone by the aft window first. I can't believe that all of them were due to Latitudes.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I would not waste time nor a FAS or dining package meal on Moderno.  We've given it a bunch of tries on the Jewel-class ships and NCL just can't pull off a churrascaria.  The meats were invariably cold, tough, poor quality.  I realize that food is subjective, and other folks may feel differently.  But we've decided we are done with Moderno.    

Just watched a video of Moderno on the Norwegian Star. Are the Dawn-class ships that much different? This looks really good. 

Edited by dmwnc1959

1 hour ago, MSUjohn said:

If you are booking more meals than you have dining credits for (usually due to latitudes but may be due to buying additional dining packages later) you should make your reservations for fixed price places first. The system only lets you book the number of meals you have dining credits to cover before it starts charging you. The charge for a la carte places is zero, but for fixed price places it is that cover charge.

Always make reservations for fixed price places first to avoid any potential charges. You can still decide how to pay for them on the day.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

By the way, I posted this on another thread...but the NY Strip in the Grand Pacific on the Jade was awesome. The prevailing opinion on this board is "Don't order the MDR NY Strip." Both Mrs. Schmoopie and one of our cruising companions decided to order it, despite my telling them "DON'T DO IT!"

They both said it was cooked to perfection and tasted amazing. I though this was an early April Fool's joke until I tried a bite, and they were right. It was so good, I ordered it the next time we were in Grand Pacific and it was just as good.

Now, maybe it was a quirk and NCL actually ordered some fantastic NY Strip from a supplier by mistake. But it was honestly as good (if not better) than the filet we had from Cagney's. 

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Just watched a video of Moderno on the Norwegian Star. Are the Dawn-class ships that much different? This look really good. 

You can't tell how food tastes by how it looks.  🙂  And you can't tell whether the service is any good either.  (Which often in Moderno it was not.) 

You were having trouble fitting Moderno into your schedule; I was merely suggesting you not bother.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

By the way, I posted this on another thread...but the NY Strip in the Grand Pacific on the Jade was awesome. The prevailing opinion on this board is "Don't order the MDR NY Strip." Both Mrs. Schmoopie and one of our cruising companions decided to order it, despite my telling them "DON'T DO IT!"

They both said it was cooked to perfection and tasted amazing. I though this was an early April Fool's joke until I tried a bite, and they were right. It was so good, I ordered it the next time we were in Grand Pacific and it was just as good.

Now, maybe it was a quirk and NCL actually ordered some fantastic NY Strip from a supplier by mistake. But it was honestly as good (if not better) than the filet we had from Cagney's. 

I’ve had the strip a few times in the MDR and it has always been decent. Not fantastic, but certainly not as bad as I often read people saying it is on here.

I’d certainly order it again.

• Like 1

Just now, Turtles06 said:

You can't tell how food tastes by how it looks.  🙂  And you can't tell whether the service is any good either.  (Which often in Moderno it was not.) 

You were having trouble fitting Moderno into your schedule; I was merely suggesting you not bother.  

I’ll put’r on the back burner for a while. I’m very happy with the idea of La Cucina and Jasmines filling up several days with Cagney’s and Le Bistro taking up a couple of slots. I had originally thought of buying the

7-night specialty dining package, plus the two FAS, but that turned out to be too many for my planning right now.

8 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

Always make reservations for fixed price places first to avoid any potential charges. You can still decide how to pay for them on the day.

If you are booking more meals than you have dining credits for (usually due to latitudes but may be due to buying additional dining packages later) you should make your reservations for fixed price places first. The system only lets you book the number of meals you have dining credits to cover before it starts charging you. The charge for a la carte places is zero, but for fixed price places it is that cover charge.

Another screenshot added to my dining planning page. 👍 👍 👍 

12 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

I’ll put’r on the back burner for a while. I’m very happy with the idea of La Cucina and Jasmines filling up several days with Cagney’s and Le Bistro taking up a couple of slots. I had originally thought of buying the

7-night specialty dining package, plus the two FAS, but that turned out to be too many for my planning right now.

Another screenshot added to my dining planning page. 👍 👍 👍 

If you are going to put something on the back burner, it needs to be La Cusina 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, zqvol said:

If you are going to put something on the back burner, it needs to be La Cusina 

Noooooooooooo! 😢  

I love Italian food having lived in Naples, Italy for two years. I know it’s probably not even close to being the same, but the La Cucina menu looked amazing! 

27 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

I’ve had the strip a few times in the MDR and it has always been decent. Not fantastic, but certainly not as bad as I often read people saying it is on here.

I’d certainly order it again.

That’s where I am. It’s fine.

Some people on here must be eating at Morton’s every time they have a steak based upon the comments.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, dmwnc1959 said:

Noooooooooooo! 😢  

I love Italian food having lived in Naples, Italy for two years. I know it’s probably not even close to being the same, but the La Cucina menu looked amazing! 

It may look amazing, but IMO Olive Garden is much better. 

• Thanks 1