Canceling prepaid dining reservations onboard

mfjj

Will there be a penalty? I am new to HAL. I have "Have it all plus gratuities" on an upcoming cruise on the NS, and will likely end up with excess non-refundable onboard credits. I understand there will be a penalty (10%?) if I cancel and rebook prepaid excursions once onboard, and the excursion prices have actually gone up since I booked them. What about doing this for prepaid specialty dining? Even a reservation for the second day of the cruise? 

Also, I assume I can use the Navigator app to cancel and rebook specialty dining once onboard (and the refund will go to the original form of payment and the charge will go to my onboard account)? If that doesn't work, where is the reservation desk on the NS? Thanks very much for your help!

Mike

18 minutes ago, mfjj said:

Will there be a penalty? I am new to HAL. I have "Have it all plus gratuities" on an upcoming cruise on the NS, and will likely end up with excess non-refundable onboard credits. I understand there will be a penalty (10%?) if I cancel and rebook prepaid excursions once onboard, and the excursion prices have actually gone up since I booked them. What about doing this for prepaid specialty dining? Even a reservation for the second day of the cruise? 

Also, I assume I can use the Navigator app to cancel and rebook specialty dining once onboard (and the refund will go to the original form of payment and the charge will go to my onboard account)? If that doesn't work, where is the reservation desk on the NS? Thanks very much for your help!

Mike

No penalty on moving excursions from prepaid to OBC. Don’t cancel in APP!  Go to shore excursions desk. Dining - no personal experience with this but reports say can make change at Guest services. Again do not cancel in app as you may lose your reservation. 

• Like 1

Do the same thing as for the shore excursions only go to the FRONT DESK and ask them to refund you credit card and charge it to your on bard account.

In reality the monies get refunded as OBC but it is refundable OBC and if you don’t use it, your credit card will be credited.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, SeaMatesNYC said:

No penalty on moving excursions from prepaid to OBC. Don’t cancel in APP!  Go to shore excursions desk. Dining - no personal experience with this but reports say can make change at Guest services. Again do not cancel in app as you may lose your reservation. 

@mfjj you will lose the reservation if you do it in the app or online- you must go to the desks once onboard. Dining you change at Guest Services,  Excursions at Excursions desk.

But if you cancel a dinner or excursion booked w/HIA there's nothing to refund to a CC - all HIA perks (dining & excursions) credit back to HIA, which are use it or lose it. You can add additional meals & excursions paid w/OBC. You can move pre-purchases not part of HIA.

Edited by Haljo1935
Additional comment
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

Do the same thing as for the shore excursions only go to the FRONT DESK and ask them to refund you credit card and charge it to your on bard account.

In reality the monies get refunded as OBC but it is refundable OBC and if you don’t use it, your credit card will be credited.

Correct but I think OP is asking about doing this for HIA reservations, which would not get refunded to a CC.

2 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Correct but I think OP is asking about doing this for HIA reservations, which would not get refunded to a CC.

Maybe just me, and not wanting to seem argumentative, but while OP states s(he) has HIA, the question posed pertains to “excess non-refundable onboard credits.”

In fact if it WERE HIA redemption, the whole point of the question is mute, yes? Why use other OBC when you have gotten the item “free” (as part of HIA)?

• Like 1

When we were on Koningsdam recently their was a Dining Reservations "desk" opposite Guest Services. This is where I went to change our dining reservations for Pinnacle and Tamarind.

It was fairly easy.  The struggle was getting a time that worked for us.  All worked out great!

FYI we also had HIA.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I saw prepaid and assumed they had reservations they had paid for.  

Absolutely on HIA reservations - there is nothing to refund.  they are use it or lose it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much everyone! Yes, I was talking about the additional dinings and excursions beyond HIA. I'm not sure where I read that there would be a 10% penalty if I cancel the prepaid excursions after I get on onboard. It sounds like that's not the case. I think I will go to the excursion desk first.
Mike

1 hour ago, mfjj said:

Thanks so much everyone! Yes, I was talking about the additional dinings and excursions beyond HIA. I'm not sure where I read that there would be a 10% penalty if I cancel the prepaid excursions after I get on onboard. It sounds like that's not the case. I think I will go to the excursion desk first.
Mike

Some excursions, but very few, do incur a penalty and all have a penalty if you don’t cancel at least 48 hours in advance.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfjj said:

Mike

But you would not be cancelling, simply adjusting the source of funds for payment, if I understand correctly. 

• Like 2

That's right. I just want to move the prepaid excursions or specialty dinings to OBC. The first dining is on the second day of the cruise. The excursions are much later.

This post reminded me to ask a similar question. Maybe it will help someone else, as well.

We recently became aware that we are now 3* members after having taken a cruise in May of 2023.  I noticed that we should be getting 25% off of Specialty Dining reservations (outside of HIA).    Before receiving info on being a 3* member, I booked and paid for a reservation in Canaletto for an upcoming cruise.  Payment made 1/17 of $59 for 2 persons.  How do I get the 25% off?

Also saw the following and wondered if it is automatic when booking, or do we need to ask for the OBC?  For our upcoming cruise (booked back in 8/2023), we should get a $200 OBC, if eligible, but I mainly want to know for any future bookings. For future bookings, are any of the Mariner benefits automatic?

NEW Mariner Society Loyalty Benefit

Exclusive Mariner Society® Early Booking Bonus: Mariner Society® loyalty members can enjoy this new exclusive benefit of up to $400 onboard credit per stateroom, when select cruises open for sale.

3 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

This post reminded me to ask a similar question. Maybe it will help someone else, as well.

We recently became aware that we are now 3* members after having taken a cruise in May of 2023.  I noticed that we should be getting 25% off of Specialty Dining reservations (outside of HIA).    Before receiving info on being a 3* member, I booked and paid for a reservation in Canaletto for an upcoming cruise.  Payment made 1/17 of $59 for 2 persons.  How do I get the 25% off?

Also saw the following and wondered if it is automatic when booking, or do we need to ask for the OBC?  For our upcoming cruise (booked back in 8/2023), we should get a $200 OBC, if eligible, but I mainly want to know for any future bookings. For future bookings, are any of the Mariner benefits automatic?

Exclusive Mariner Society® Early Booking Bonus: Mariner Society® loyalty members can enjoy this new exclusive benefit of up to $400 onboard credit per stateroom, when select cruises open for sale.

You will have to handle this in person at the restaurant.  Best practice is to book onboard when it seems to be automatically credited. I never have a hard time booking onboard and often simply walk up without a reservation. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Iamthesea said:

This benefit from what I have read applies within the first 90 days of release of the itinerary.  However, you should also ask if there is any other Mariner benefits to be had.  Often if you book within 90 days of returning from a cruise you are eligible for a Welcome Back bonus of similar amount.  I am of the mind that you need to always ask if there are any other credits for returning passengers (Mariners).  We booked onboard recently and in addition to the "booking on board" bonus, there was another $125 each in OBC that just showed up.  The Future Cruise Consultant said that these will just be attached to your Mariner Number and they get applied, and go by many different "marketing" names, depending on what promo is then being pushed!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, mfjj said:

I just want to move the prepaid excursions or specialty dinings to OBC. The first dining is on the second day of the cruise.

For the dining I suggest you go to the desk located on deck 2 opposite Pinnacle Grill and Rudi's Sel de Mer restaurant and ask them to change it.  I have successfully done this last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

For the dining I suggest you go to the desk located on deck 2 opposite Pinnacle Grill and Rudi's Sel de Mer restaurant and ask them to change it.  I have successfully done this last year.

Thanks! I imagine there would be a dining reservation desk, at least on the first day. I guess I could also change the prepaid excursions to OBC but the prices have gone up significantly. I'm not sure they will honor the prices of my original booking.

1 hour ago, mfjj said:

could also change the prepaid excursions to OBC but the prices have gone up significantly. I'm not sure they will honor the prices of my original booking.

Should not make a difference. This is not about corporate greed, but simply accounting. Although some would correlate the two…I couldn’t possible comment. 🤪

5 hours ago, Cruise Suzy said:

You must book within 90 days of the cruise being available to receive the Mariner Early Booking Bonus.

We originally booked the cruise with HAL within that 90 days (turned it over to our TA a little later on) but at the time of the booking, we had not yet sailed on that May 2023 cruise where we apparently earned enough to become 3* members.  We will be sure and ask next time!  We did so well turning the booking over to our TA (almost $1100 in OBC) that we don't mind missing out on another $100 OBC from HAL.  Already getting $100 from them for the original booking.

And I will check with Specialty reservations on the ship, so that we do not lose our origianl reservation.  Thanks all!!!

8 hours ago, mfjj said:

That's right. I just want to move the prepaid excursions or specialty dinings to OBC. The first dining is on the second day of the cruise. The excursions are much later.

I move my pre-paid excursions to OBC on every cruise and have not ever been charged a penalty nor have I been charged a higher price if they've gone up.

If you cancel the excursions yourself and rebook them to use OBC, you could possibly incur the penalty and pay a higher price (if there's been a price increase). It's very important you have the Shore Exc Desk handle the changes.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

I move my pre-paid excursions to OBC on every cruise and have not ever been charged a penalty nor have I been charged a higher price if they've gone up.

If you cancel the excursions yourself and rebook them to use OBC, you could possibly incur the penalty and pay a higher price (if there's been a price increase). It's very important you have the Shore Exc Desk handle the changes.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

That's wonderful! Thanks so much!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Iamthesea said:

When you pre-pay you pay the full amount for the meal.  Once you are on board, you will receive on board credit for the discount you are entitled to.  It should appear on your statement  on embarkation day or by the next day at the latest.

If it fails to appear (I haven’t had this happen in years) then go to the Front Desk (Guest Services) to have it attended to.

14 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I tried to do that and was told to go to Guest Services (Front Desk) who took care of it.  The specialty dining podium can make reservations or amend but they cannot do the switch to OBC - at least that is what I was told on the Rotterdam.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2