Passports while in port?

38 minutes ago, island lady said:

Passport cards work there.  😉 

Passport card  is basically a passport. So I guess people need to order both.

We never had them.

My husband has OCD about all docs, so he has all kind of belts to carry docs as close as possible, but card is definitely a good idea.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, island lady said:

Passport cards work there.  😉 

If you are in a country that requires a visa, a passport card probably won't be accepted in any circumstance.  Additionally, they really are only intended for entry by land and sea to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean so outside of those countries, law enforcement likely won't even know what to make of a passport card.

If I lived near the Canadian or Mexico border and crossed either frequently, I would probably get a passport card.  But since I don't, they really seem to have very limited value.  My driver's license is more than sufficient if I'm in the Caribbean and staying close to the port (I'm willing to take the risk in those limited circumstances).  Otherwise, I'll generally carry my passport.  If I'm on a land trip in a foreign country I find ways to keep it on my body (through a money belt or even waterproof pouch) - I can do the same for travel where I arrive by cruise ship.

1 hour ago, Tatka said:

Passport card  is basically a passport. So I guess people need to order both.

We never had them.

My husband has OCD about all docs, so he has all kind of belts to carry docs as close as possible, but card is definitely a good idea.

I love...love having them.  It is our "government photo ID" card of choice.  Book passport stays in the safe, unless the cruise line takes them from us on embarkation.  Has happened twice now in the last year.  

Many times I will tour in port with just the sea pass card, RCI credit card, some folding bills, and the passport card...all secured in my button down front pocket.  I find it's all I need.  

I have a tiny cross body purse just big enough to fit my phone, and small items when I want to take them, but the cards and cash are always separate and in my pocket.  

This works for us, but we are not all alike.  😉 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

If you are in a country that requires a visa, a passport card probably won't be accepted in any circumstance.  Additionally, they really are only intended for entry by land and sea to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and the Caribbean so outside of those countries, law enforcement likely won't even know what to make of a passport card.

If I lived near the Canadian or Mexico border and crossed either frequently, I would probably get a passport card.  But since I don't, they really seem to have very limited value.  My driver's license is more than sufficient if I'm in the Caribbean and staying close to the port (I'm willing to take the risk in those limited circumstances).  Otherwise, I'll generally carry my passport.  If I'm on a land trip in a foreign country I find ways to keep it on my body (through a money belt or even waterproof pouch) - I can do the same for travel where I arrive by cruise ship.

As I posted..."we are not all alike".   My method just works for us.   And I am happy Baskin Robbins does not offer only one flavor of ice cream.  😄 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, island lady said:

I love...love having them.  It is our "government photo ID" card of choice.  Book passport stays in the safe, unless the cruise line takes them from us on embarkation.  Has happened twice now in the last year.  

Many times I will tour in port with just the sea pass card, RCI credit card, some folding bills, and the passport card...all secured in my button down front pocket.  I find it's all I need.  

I have a tiny cross body purse just big enough to fit my phone, and small items when I want to take them, but the cards and cash are always separate and in my pocket.  

This works for us, but we are not all alike.  😉 

Taking just a passport card with you in port is really not much different than taking a driver's license.  You can't fly home with it so you still have to somehow get your passport from the ship safe or go to a consulate/embassy, if you have an emergency or get left behind and in my most cases it won't serve as any better identification than a driver's license.  For those that are okay with that risk and prefer to not carry their driver's license, it's a great option.  My point is that it doesn't replace the need for a passport book when you truly need a passport.  When passport cards get praised in threads like this, I think some don't realize it has its limits.

Edited by prmssk
  • Like 1

Just now, prmssk said:

Taking just a passport card with you in port is really not much different than taking a driver's license.  You can't fly home with it so you still have to somehow get your passport from the ship safe or go to a consulate/embassy, if you have an emergency or get left behind and in my most cases it won't serve as any better identification than a driver's license.  For those that are okay with that risk and prefer to not carry their driver's license, it's a great option.  My point is that it doesn't replace the need for a passport book when you truly need a passport.

Indeed, the passport card won't get you home from a foreign country...or so I hear.  Have never had to try it....fortunately.   As far as my passport book in my safe, that is where the ship's officers will look for and find it...giving it to the customs officials at the port if I were to miss the ship.   I have seen it happen several times to other pax.   

We have traveled extensively in foreign countries during this last year.  My passport card was readily accepted.  I also have Global Entry.  

Now...here is one for you.  What do you do when they take your passport from you on a cruise when you embark?  

As I said, this works for us.  And we most certainly do not spend our travels only in the Carib.  😉  Your way works for you...good for you.  🙂 

7 minutes ago, island lady said:

Now...here is one for you.  What do you do when they take your passport from you on a cruise when you embark?  

As long as the passport is in the cruise line's possession, they have a lot of incentive to make sure I get it should I get left behind as they are taking responsibility for it.  

Yes, in other cases when passengers maintain control of their passports and many leave them in their safe, standard protocol is to empty the safe should someone not return to the ship but I have heard enough stories of where that protocol was not followed to know it is not a perfect system.

I completely agree with you that we all need to make our own risk assessments and I don't take mine with me to port every single time.  I make the call based on the country and what we are doing in port.  My comment was more just focused on the passport card not necessarily being the great solution some may think it is due to its limits.

23 minutes ago, island lady said:

Indeed, the passport card won't get you home from a foreign country...or so I hear.  Have never had to try it....fortunately.   As far as my passport book in my safe, that is where the ship's officers will look for and find it...giving it to the customs officials at the port if I were to miss the ship.   I have seen it happen several times to other pax.   

We have traveled extensively in foreign countries during this last year.  My passport card was readily accepted.  I also have Global Entry.  

As I said, this works for us.  And we most certainly do not spend our travels only in the Carib.  😉  Your way works for you...good for you.  🙂 

We had our passports taken on a cruise once and as you I was a little hesitant to have it out of my sight. But…..we got them back a few days later…..😅

Posted (edited)
On 4/17/2024 at 10:25 AM, Tatka said:

We always carry our passports aside from private islands.

Thing is, pickpockets are out and about in all the ports -- and they practice their trade /hone their skills every day.  They're pros. 

On 4/17/2024 at 1:25 PM, c-leg5 said:

Unless you have an emergency and miss the ship.

This fear is overblown and gets way more discussion time on this board than it deserves.  Judging from these boards, you could get the idea that multiple families miss the ship at every port; in reality, most cruisers are back on board hours before sail-away.  You have great control over whether you get back on time; whereas, you have little control over whether a criminal targets you.  

8 hours ago, island lady said:

Open air convertible on the small road up into the hills.  Guys on motorcycles grabbed it out of the back seat.  

That's like something out of a James Bond movie!  

A more common story:  My friend had her passport in her purse, and -- in the back seat of a taxi -- she rearranged things in her purse /shopping bag.  In the process, she lost her passport.  Dropped it between the seat cushions. 

Whatever you're carrying, you have a chance of losing -- either to a criminal or through a moment of foolishness.  If you're saying, "I could never ...", you're fooling yourself.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, prmssk said:

As long as the passport is in the cruise line's possession, they have a lot of incentive to make sure I get it should I get left behind as they are taking responsibility for it.  

Yes, in other cases when passengers maintain control of their passports and many leave them in their safe, standard protocol is to empty the safe should someone not return to the ship but I have heard enough stories of where that protocol was not followed to know it is not a perfect system.

I completely agree with you that we all need to make our own risk assessments and I don't take mine with me to port every single time.  I make the call based on the country and what we are doing in port.  My comment was more just focused on the passport card not necessarily being the great solution some may think it is due to its limits.

As in all things...of course there are limits.   Is a passport card perfect?  Of course not.  I just have had much better acceptance with this U.S. government issued Photo ID connected to my passport book, than I would a state issued Drivers License.   Has happened...and learned from it.  And when I am not able to have my passport with me (cruise line keeps it), I am happy that is what I have as an alternative.  

But once again...if that works for you...good on you.  😉   I am happy we are not all alike.  It just happens to work for me.  

Edited by island lady

1 hour ago, island lady said:

Yes.  My typical going-ashore outfit is a tee-shirt dress over bike shorts, which have deep, tight pockets on each leg.  The pocket on the right holds my phone, and the pocket on the left holds my ID, credit card and cash money. 

All that's in my backpack is sunscreen,a protein bar, etc.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

We had our passports taken on a cruise once and as you I was a little hesitant to have it out of my sight. But…..we got them back a few days later…..😅

LOL...I did not get mine back for weeks.  (World Cruise) and also on the European 3 week river cruise in the middle of Europe last year.  But did not bother me.  I was like you...a bit hesitant, but got used to it.  😉 

I am happy with all the interesting stamps in it while I did not have it.  Pretty cool!  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Thing is, pickpockets are out and about in all the ports -- and they practice their trade /hone their skills every day.  They're pros.  

This fear is overblown and gets way more discussion time on this board than it deserves.  Judging from these boards, you could get the idea that multiple people miss the ship at every port; in reality, most cruisers are back on board hours before sail-away.  You have great control over whether you get back on time; whereas, you have little control over whether a criminal targets you.  

That's like something out of a James Bond movie!  

A more common story:  My friend took her passport ashore, and -- in the back seat of a taxi -- she rearranged things in her purse /shopping bag.  In the process, she lost her passport.  Dropped it between the seat cushions.  

Thanks...exactly this.  😉  ^   But in some cases...you have to learn the hard way.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Yes.  My typical going-ashore outfit is a tee-shirt dress over bike shorts, which have deep, tight pockets on each leg.  The pocket on the right holds my phone, and the pocket on the left holds my ID, credit card and cash money. 

All that's in my backpack is sunscreen,a protein bar, etc.  

That works!  Good plan! 🙂 

I got pickpocketed earlier this year in Guatemala.  They got my little bills (12 bucks) I keep in my back pocket for little booth souvenirs.   (never felt it 😮 )   So they must have assumed that was all I had.   My important items were  in my front button down pocket.  

Edited by island lady

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, island lady said:

Thanks...exactly this.  😉  ^   But in some cases...you have to learn the hard way.  

I do my best to learn from others' mistakes!  Doesn't always work out for me. 

13 minutes ago, island lady said:

My important items were  in my front button down pocket.  

If you're putting your ID or credit cards deep down in a front pocket, consider adding a big safety pin just above those valuables.  While nothing's guaranteed, that safety pin is hard to see, and it'll make things significantly more difficult for a pick pocket.  

Edited by Mum2Mercury
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, island lady said:

I take my Drivers License. Passport Card may make you feel better but that is just an illusion. It is not better than any other government ID in a port.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mum2Mercury said:

We are pros at watching our stuff.

62 cruises, many-many trips abroad including overseas.

It is not that difficult. We do not want to lose our documents (passports, DL etc) or money. So we watch them. No different really than in any city here where we do the same.

Edited by Tatka
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, Coralc said:

Whichever anyone decides to do. These threads never change anyone's mind. 😀

No, they don’t but they might give a newcomer enough information to make their own informed decision. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

This fear is overblown and gets way more discussion time on this board than it deserves.  Judging from these boards, you could get the idea that multiple families miss the ship at every port; in reality, most cruisers are back on board hours before sail-away.  You have great control over whether you get back on time; whereas, you have little control over whether a criminal targets you.  

Nobody said it happens often but when it does it is a reality.

MOST people do get back on board in plenty of time fortunately.

MOST of the time you do have great control over whether you get back on board by exercising due diligence but do not dismiss so lightly those that do not make it back in time due to circumstances beyond their control be it a criminal act, a medical emergency or mechanical breakdown. 

2 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

Unless you have an emergency and miss the ship.

Hence the reason for the word emergency that you quoted in my post.

I haven’t experienced such an emergency while cruising but I almost missed a coach during a land vacation many years ago due to such an emergency and it isn’t fun I can tell you.

I have also witnessed someone trying to fly out of Cozumel having lost their passport for whatever reason. Not only did it delay the passenger concerned but many people in the line trying to check in behind them (including us).

I agree with the PP that said they weigh up each port on the day. Everyone has to be comfortable with their own risk assessment. I would never try to impose MY way of thinking on any one else - we take passports sometimes and sometimes we don’t.

BUT the fact remains IF, for whatever reason, you are stranded abroad without your passport it is going to be inconvenient. Unsurmountable? Probably not. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, prmssk said:

No, they don’t but they might give a newcomer enough information to make their own informed decision. 

I think it was so funny. I think it was Antigua. And I couldn't find my Seapass card to get through the security shack to get back on the ship. The guard had me dump my whole purse out to find it, because clearly, she didn't want to have to call the ship. 

About that time one of the bartenders came through, and put his arm around my shoulders, and told her, "It's okay, we know her." 😀

As we were walking back to the ship, I found it in the pocket of my shorts.😊 

• Haha 1

Thank you all. This was very helpful. And I did forget to mention Coco Cay because I don't plan on getting off the ship there.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Lots of opinions and even though many people think they are right, only an individual can determine what is correct for them.  I’ll add that we sometimes take passports and sometimes not, many different reasons factor into the decision.

First note you can never plan for everything.  Long story but we once had our tour bus stuck in the parking lot at a site due to an helicopter evacuation of a medical emergency.  Never a problem with us or our tour and no risk based on our port times but if port times were different it could have easily been a delay that put us at risk.  

Second note, and much more fun, we like to get passport stamps.  Some of the ports do this for you, so if you want to get one you have to bring your passport with you.  Nassau, Williamstad and Qranjestad all have an office right at or very near the port or port area where you can pop in and get a passport stamp.  

Edited by wdwkings
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Mum2Mercury said:

I do my best to learn from others' mistakes!  Doesn't always work out for me. 

If you're putting your ID or credit cards deep down in a front pocket, consider adding a big safety pin just above those valuables.  While nothing's guaranteed, that safety pin is hard to see, and it'll make things significantly more difficult for a pick pocket.  

Good idea!  Though my button down (two buttons to release) front pockets are even difficult for me to open.  😉 😄  

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I take my Drivers License. Passport Card may make you feel better but that is just an illusion. It is not better than any other government ID in a port.

As I keep posting...over and over again.  We are not all alike.  My way works for me...your way works for you.  Good for you.  

Traveling all through Europe last summer, and then just recently in South America this year...the officials I did show it to were happy I had that, instead of showing a DL.  But that's just me, and works well for me.  Not your thing...no problem for me.  😉 

Edited by island lady