Passports while in port?

Occasionally a country requires you to carry them (there will be a notice in the Cruise Compass and announcements made if that is the case).  Otherwise, it is your choice.  There are pros and cons either way.  You are less likely to lose it if it stays in the cabin safe.  If you get stuck in another country especially some distance from the port, it will probably be a little easier if the passport is on you.

We bring them along when we have a long excursion that takes us far from the port.  We leave them in the cruise cabin for shorter excursions or water activities.  We always have some sort of photo ID on us (like a driver's license) and a photo of our passports in our phone (or a paper copy).

12 minutes ago, wrg said:

Thanks! The ports of call are: San Juan, PR, St. Croix and St. Thomas.

These are all US territories.  If you are a US citizen, any photo ID is sufficient.

1 hour ago, wrg said:

Should we bring our passports with us while in port or leave them in the cabin safe?

We never take our passports off the ship unless it is a requirement of that country.  Only once in 25 years of cruising, that was for Tunis.  Had to give our passports to cruise staff once in a port stop in Chile. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, wrg said:

Should we bring our passports with us while in port or leave them in the cabin safe?

Never. leave them locked up. 

Unless required or you are crossing a border (e.g., Skagway Alaska crossing into Canada on a shore ex). 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, wrg said:

Thanks! The ports of call are: San Juan, PR, St. Croix and St. Thomas.

You must have some foreign port. Those are all US possession ports. Where are you leaving from, or do you go to St. Martin, too?

We just take our passport cards with us. They are inexpensive when you renew your passport, and fit nicely in a wallet. If for some unfathomable reason, we should miss the ship, the port agent should have our passports. 

• Like 1

Loads of countries require you to carry your passport , Guam USA was a require by all and 5 Japanese ports all required and was checked . You need to see the world by sea ...

9 hours ago, Coralc said:

I have never seen an itinerary like that. I believe a foreign port is required even on a closed loop cruise. 

A little investigative work had me find what itinerary the OP is doing, and it does, indeed include Coco Cay in addition to the 3 they mentioned. 

• Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, Scottdalfonso said:

A little investigative work had me find what itinerary the OP is doing, and it does, indeed include Coco Cay in addition to the 3 they mentioned. 

Thanks. It just doesn't work without that stop.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Coralc said:

You must have some foreign port. Those are all US possession ports. Where are you leaving from, or do you go to St. Martin, too?

We just take our passport cards with us. They are inexpensive when you renew your passport, and fit nicely in a wallet. If for some unfathomable reason, we should miss the ship, the port agent should have our passports. 

Exactly this and exactly what we do.  🙂  ^^

We love using our passport cards as government issued photo idea.  Slips into my pocket with my sea pass card.  Very convenient.