NCL Prima eastbound 15 days TA (Live) 27 Apr, 2024 - N.Y. to Southampton via Halifax, Iceland & EU ports - preview intro

Posted (edited)

Supplement to "Station Zebra" on this TA cruise - most items are self-explanatory in an effort to miniaturize as much as possible ... having 2 USB-A thumb drive, loaded with bootable ChromeFlex OS and Linux Ubuntu OS, to run off just about any work station/computers.  

Packing a 12V USB car adapter/charger - renting a 4WD to drive on our own to sightsee - it will keep the smartphone and other's devices charged - wireless charging is expected.  Sightseeing buses & trains are often equipped with USB charging ports - always a good idea to bring a cable along.  

PXL_20240422_18160045C.thumb.jpg.10f261b6366132da730088f72323f162.jpg

@Ellis1138 - Thanks, will try to see if I can get as much MDR menus as possible and post them, possibly in 1 or 2 batches together, instead of scattering them on a live thread - especially if they made changes.  Niece traveling with us has food allergies, with luck, we'll get a full preview early on and not have to do it daily to plan her special orders.  From what I've seen thus far this year, maybe minor changes w MDR menus but otherwise, same as 2023 and not the usual large scale changeover.  NCL "should" be changing menus as they normally do annually, it's been puzzling ... oh, well. 

@cruiseny4life  - 150 trees for an orchid, that's serious.  Your memory is just as excellent, ours an apartment-sized, tiny corner indoor garden ... 2 smaller plants protested over the last 2 years and quit on us, down to just 4 green plants.  They are strong and required minimal moisture, a bit of "natural" light daily to be happy ...  going in the Home smart app to set the daily schedule, switch on/off UV plant light as the window blinds will be closed.  

PXL_20240422_200342719.thumb.jpg.9a98d33bd3a361880fe267653e77e449.jpg

@dexddd just for your commentary 😆

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Niece traveling with us has food allergies, with luck, we'll get a full preview early on and not have to do it daily to plan her special orders.  From what I've seen thus far this year, maybe minor changes w MDR menus but otherwise, same as 2023 and not the usual large scale changeover. 

Hopefully, your niece had filled out the access desk form. But so far, each ship has made me do the 'choose what you want the night before" thing. Ironically, I would have done better with Prima's experimental static MDR menu, as opposed to the fleet-wide one. My husband thinks it's hysterical that I know the menus so well that I'll say something like "Oh no, not the Lemon Pepper Shrimp night! There's NOTHING for me that night." I'm also looking forward to Indulge and hoping I can have some of that stuff.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

T minus 4 ... almost, technically still T minus 5

for several hours based on EDT

Norwegian Pearl has left Miami earlier today, crew-only sailing north to NYC at a leisurely 15 kts for her TA, ETA is 5:30 AM - Thurs. 25th Apr and will be visiting Halifax and then Iceland, basically 2 days ahead of us ... I look at the Pearl as being "Pace car" like to give us a good lead of what's ahead (make sense, huh) - whether on what's going in/around the ports, what's open & unexpected, and sea state/waves & weather, and arrival / departure or all abroad / sailaway time. It appear their arrival time isn't being affect by the Right whales speed restriction zones near/around NY's coastal waters. 

Norwegian Prima, just left USVI for a short run to San Juan, PR in the morning, then onward to Puerto Plata, DR on Wed - departing at 3 PM there - with 2 full sea days - head for NYC, arriving 2 hours later than scheduled at 10 AM (per officially NCL notifications) with pier arrival & check-in, embarkation no earlier than 12 noon - or risk getting turned away.   Let's see what happen if and once we see an ETA for NY late Wednesday.  

Collage_2024-04-22_20_16_36.thumb.jpg.3624b3d63cb093b81c7fe33222161ee0.jpg

Getting ready - time to set up & make some changes on the smartphone (or, iPhone) home screen, enabled that world clock widget  < see below > 4 city's "current" time being displayed - NYC (home), Halifax, Iceland, and UK (London) ... of course, the key is to be aware of "ship time" as sometimes (if not always) - it is done slightly different, check the clock at/near the gangway if and when going ashore. 

Or, risk being involuntary induction into the infamous pier runners club & stranded on the pier, looking for the port agent ... and, always take a photo or note of the agent's contact info: name, email & phone numbers, etc. before stepping off the ship, things happen !  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

Posted (edited)

Luggage, ideas & thoughts -

Countdown toward final packing in progress, both of our checked 24" expandable (not) spinners are done, hers under 44 lbs. and mine at 43 lbs.  That's not bad, aiming to stay with 40 lbs and only possible if we bring less clothes along, given the latest weather forecast trending - Iceland isn't as cold as it might be, that will help lighten our load.  As mentioned, if we are just modestly over-weight for our return flight - each of us could do the compression packing cube trick (eBags, medium size or equivalent (14" x 10" x 4" wide if packed full & heavy at 3 to 5 lbs, depending on content) plus our carry-on ... and, not be bothered with paying Norse Air that extra $90 for 1 additional checked bag. 

Why play with the "pillow trick" to disguise & stuff it - just carry that packing cube (could be our "heavy" winter coat, compressed to fit ... and my 3XL fit) under our arms and board the aircraft - about the size of a child's or travel pillow (slip a case over it, viola)  Advantage - flying a wide body B787, priority check-in & boarding, bulkhead/extra legroom - forward section/main cabin - odds of being asked to gate check our carry-on should be lower, personal bag will slip thru as well.  Let's see, 4 x med packing cube @ 5 lbs ea is 20 lbs plus stealthy "loaded" travel vest at 8 to 10 lbs - close to 30 lbs combined weight "hidden" ... smartphones, chargers & other heavier items in the zipped jacket/parka pockets. This solved the "bulk" problems when trying to pack as much as we can into the 24" spinner.  

P.S.  Ziplock bags (qt. and gallon sizes) and zip ties, don't travel without them.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

15 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Iceland isn't as cold as it might be, that will help lighten our load.  

Well, a little north and west of the nation's capital, it was 29 degrees this morning. My sister who lives outside Boston observed it was warmer there.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Collage_2024-04-22_22_21_26.thumb.jpg.a38b9c922ac842c7de6c2b8c8083c6ae.jpg

Holy cow, I might need to find & bring my Bermuda shorts & Hawaiian Tee's for next Monday, and an umbrella ...  If AccuWeather forecast is even 85% accurate 😎 🤔  I should note - Weather Channel's Halifax forecast is "slightly" different & lower for Sunday & Monday, about the same for Iceland.  Best to check the "official" government forecast issued to cross-reference.  

Watch out for Prima's chair hogs if not going ashore next Monday. 

Something about global warming and Europe being another hot summer ahead ... Ripley's, believe it or not. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Collage_2024-04-22_22_21_26.thumb.jpg.a38b9c922ac842c7de6c2b8c8083c6ae.jpg

Holy cow, I might need to find & bring my Bermuda shorts & Hawaiian Tee's for next Monday, and an umbrella ...  If AccuWeather forecast is even 85% accurate 😎 🫢

Something about global warming and Europe being another hot summer ahead ... Ripley's, believe it or not. 

I checked the Accuweather app for Halifax NS and it was completely different from what you have. Check to make sure you are not on Halifax, Hoboken NJ, because those temperatures are very similar to the temperatures shown for your "Halifax."

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@Sugar Magnolia  Refreshed my AccuWeather app and now it looked more probable & match Weather Channel's - maybe silly AI doing a number on the app and me (or, I simply didn't do a full refresh going thru my list of cities to check ahead ...)  At a minimum, heavy wool, gloves, scarf and boots probably optional at this point - that's weight saving & good for those riding the subway and or city bus on the final miles to Pier 88 this Saturday.

Updated / corrected forecast for Halifax ahead - 

Screenshot_20240422-225514.png

P.S.  PistolPete13 - unofficial S.I. New York photographer still "AWOL" - well, I tried.   Let me see if I can "page" alert to an old CC friend, usually over at a different CC forum these days  @meatball_nyc - hello - any chance of "waving" at us (from your balcony window) this weekend when we sail down the Hudson in the evening. Trust all is well.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Supplement to "Station Zebra" on this TA cruise - most items are self-explanatory in an effort to miniaturize as much as possible ... having 2 USB-A thumb drive, loaded with bootable ChromeFlex OS and Linux Ubuntu OS, to run off just about any work station/computers.  

Packing a 12V USB car adapter/charger - renting a 4WD to drive on our own to sightsee - it will keep the smartphone and other's devices charged - wireless charging is expected.  Sightseeing buses & trains are often equipped with USB charging ports - always a good idea to bring a cable along.  

PXL_20240422_18160045C.thumb.jpg.10f261b6366132da730088f72323f162.jpg

@Ellis1138 - Thanks, will try to see if I can get as much MDR menus as possible and post them, possibly in 1 or 2 batches together, instead of scattering them on a live thread - especially if they made changes.  Niece traveling with us has food allergies, with luck, we'll get a full preview early on and not have to do it daily to plan her special orders.  From what I've seen thus far this year, maybe minor changes w MDR menus but otherwise, same as 2023 and not the usual large scale changeover.  NCL "should" be changing menus as they normally do annually, it's been puzzling ... oh, well. 

@cruiseny4life  - 150 trees for an orchid, that's serious.  Your memory is just as excellent, ours an apartment-sized, tiny corner indoor garden ... 2 smaller plants protested over the last 2 years and quit on us, down to just 4 green plants.  They are strong and required minimal moisture, a bit of "natural" light daily to be happy ...  going in the Home smart app to set the daily schedule, switch on/off UV plant light as the window blinds will be closed.  

PXL_20240422_200342719.thumb.jpg.9a98d33bd3a361880fe267653e77e449.jpg

@dexddd just for your commentary 😆

NCL is not in the habit of changing their menus annually.

They did an overhaul during Covid then unexpectedly had to remove items from the menus fleetwide due to supply chain issues.

Glad we finally saw plants. What about that visiting dog?

Do you have backup power like solar if an extended technical issue?  Lastly, maybe pack some Spam.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, mking8288 said:

🤣

"down to just 4 green plants.  They are strong and required minimal moisture, a bit of "natural" light daily to be happy ...  going in the Home smart app to set the daily schedule, switch on/off UV plant light as the window blinds will be closed. "

@mking8288  Back  in the day my mother and I would put all of her houseplants into the tub with an inch or so of water..african violets, spider plants, ferns etc. They would do great  while gone for a couple of weeks. 

My style of gardening is "survival of the fittest"...if possible they are outside/shady area that will get rain and if they survive, voila. You'd be surprised how hardy orchids, christmas cactus, prayer plant etc are. 

Our house sitter/dog sitter will be watering the tomatoes and is going to trim the fig tree that should have been trimmed earlier in spring. May have mulch delivered to be spread too. Need to make the "to do list" while we are gone. My better half joked that maybe I should ask to have him paint the house ! ha

Edited by Fogfog
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)

T minus 4 Days - 

Good morning, out in Long Island this morning briefly to finish some errands, stopping by to see the grand nephews & grand niece as the "teens" are off from school (Happy Passover to those that celebrate and let dream of global peace) and the pooch is chilling as usual (doesn't like "strangers" to approach, let alone to try to pet.  After lunch, a quick stop for haircut and then home, dieting until we are onboard and going into semi-lockdown mode, isolating and minimize further, unnecessary contacts ... it's not uncommon for travelers (cruisers) to bring "unwanted" onboard, then unknowingly "spread" it around silently.  

Collage_2024-04-23_10_54_56.thumb.jpg.1a08b99ffa5f18905343284dfcb64b5a.jpg

Seeing the raised "alert" from Iceland's "Met" (gov't weather) office about urgent lava warning about - just going to have to deal with that, when and if we get there ... checking our 4WD rental, can cancel ahead by giving them notice & 100% refundable ... printing the confirmation out & saving PDF, download offline navigational maps.  

Google Fi's 5G data only nano-sim (2x) activated & in the iPhone and Galaxy S22+, this will be our MiFi hotspot that support multiple devices tethering at the same time, although I prefer to use the Google Pixel 4a 5G sometimes (photos & videos uploaded to "Drive" and "Photo" are unlimited at near original quality, no "caps")   As long as we have cellular signals, including roaming (no extra charges abroad, 200+ countries covered & included - 50GB max before "subject to" speed reduction or throttled) - always careful about this, regardless & check billing and SMS alerts, if any - we can pretty much do whatever, off the ship and onboard while docked or within range of land signals - that's one of the beauty of using this highly flexible plan w/o contract.  

With the S22+ configured in addition to 2 Pixel smartphones, we will be able to catch up on live news (Samsung Live TV Plus) and not depend on "feeds" onboard from NCL's satellite-based signal, Amazon Prime Video, Spotify premium (just turned on a 3 mos. free "trial" that will cancel later) - still need to refresh offline & downloaded video & music, eBooks for reading ... yeah, if and only if we have time on sea days.  And, with 23 hours day ahead & several time zone changes en route.  

Contingency planning and continuous readiness, one of the few vestiges from being involved in disaster & emergency management, learning all the time on how best to improvise.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 4

Hello All

Hope all celebrating have had a blessed Passover. 

Good cruise friends of ours (we met on a eastbound TA several years back) are in French Polynesia on a ship at the moment. They said that over 100 were gathering together on the ship to celebrate Passover. Warmed our hearts to hear about it.

On Iceland -

Found this site which I find helpful. See the tabs on the left.

At the moment the gases are very centralized and it looks as though touring in the northernly region we will be fine.

Lets hope that not only we have smooth sailing, yet also make port and have drier spring weather to enjoy the sites.

https://en.vedur.is/volcanoes/fagradalsfjall-eruption/volcanic-gases/

A friend's son lives in Iceland and he recommends layers, to expect cold and winds for those of us out on the Golden Circle. We are really looking forward to this sailing as we had hoped to make Iceland and Greenland in a westbound crossing from Dublin in 2020 which didn't go. 

Got yet another reminder of the delayed embarkation.

I suspect NCL is expecting it to be messy on Saturday.

In other NCL news,

-still no Haven luggage tags (so absurd)

- the stock ownership credit of $250 is basically good for nothing: we got a long official list from Haven concierge on things it cannot be used for....1) can't be used for Cruise Next etc, 2) can't be used to Daily Service Fees, 3) Can't be used towards Grats certs for crew  etc etc... 

We will do some upgrading onboard to capture-use it and some other OBC from TA

As for the $$$ from the price drop on the cost of the cruise-- I suspect in then end it will be money left on the table as we have to spend it on a 7 day sailing within 365 days of disembarkation of May 12... and we don't yet see anything to choose...

With the delayed embarkation which maybe they could have adjusted the sailing PR/DR and then started northernly route earlier?  Wouldn't that have had had less impact on current pax disembarkation and their travel plans/connections. Also less impact on Embarkation.

Feels like some of these things where NCL dropped the ball (Embarkation, Haven tags or NCL makes it hard to spend your Stockowner OBC), NCL takes a little sparkle out of things, don't they?

We are looking forward to this sailing and hope the onboard experience is more smiles instead.

@mking8288, so true about the germs and having to be careful about being around those with active "ick". Years ago an officer was telling some of us at a loyalty event how some bugs come onboard..and how traceable some of this is. Was fascinating. Icky yet fascinating. Makes me wish we had bright flashing lights and noise when people skip hand washing---bawahahah 🤣

• Like 2

Important Notice (NCL) again 😬 

Screenshot_20240423-125822.thumb.png.d9ff02031ecc779ff00a9adf0f236783.png

OK, OK ... got it and stop spamming 🙄

Screenshot_20240423-125846.thumb.png.54506a677c1f30a64716585bb66b799c.png

Let's see if and how the Pearl is affected by these regulations or not. They are northbound now at just 15 kts with crews only.  Once docked this Thursday morning at Pier 88 by/before 10 AM - they can possibly early board Haven & others by 11 AM, easily.  Good for them on their TA.  Staterooms will be ready and few will miss lunch on embarkation day ...  

Screenshot_20240423-125928.thumb.png.5f6a4d893a5376218e9b2f101ad19f4a.png

Err... , I see. "Houston" HQ, we might have a few, slight, logistical challenges (I mean, NCL Miami) with pax  possibly affected by these changes.  Great for anyone flying in that morning or on a red-eye flight with delays, they'll have extra time to get to Pier 88, in time for afternoon tea & coffee or early bird dinner. 

Hoping that travel partners will have proper # of buses ready to do the transfers at both area airports for embarking pax, and, for disembarking pax - starting at 10 AM - many will be looking for the best way to ... 

This could set off surge pricing for Uber & Lyft and a shortage of vehicles at Dial 7 and Carmel.  We are better off booking our local car service, 3 to ride minivan for the price of a Carmel standard sedan. Niece is going to meet us at the pier 

Fortune Teller said, port congestions & traffic jams, and hectic operations inside & outside the terminal ... on the bright side, weather is good. 

Re-repacking those clothing layers a bit,  adjusting for slighting warmer weather;  more ,"last minute" stuff coming from Amazon via USPS.  Bills payment scheduled, another Fall cruise paid in full ... (yes) tax refunds expected tomorrow.  

No cooking, grocery runs, cleaning, laundry and garbage disposal, etc.  Quoting another CC, another day at sea is better than at home, at work or otherwise staring at gossips & posts on CC or news of trouble around the world. 

• Like 3

Henry

So for those of us "in town", taxi is best from hotel to the port? (staying S/near the park/W of 6th)

Plan had been cab or Uber

Yet your Uber surge pt is well taken

• Haha 1

I see Halifax is one of your ports.

Here is our experience with that port. We took a morning excursion to Peggy's Cove, pretty, but we both agreed it was not really worth the price.

In the afternoon we wandered around the port intending to visit many places, but when we found ourselves in the Canadian Immigration Museum we were both fascinated and found ourselves basically staying the afternoon there.

Your views may vary, but I thought I would share that.

• Thanks 1

Can we pls take a group vote on how much pressure to apply for FogFog to change to SunSun?

Before Getaway, knowing that Bermuda had presented a problem 3 wks in a row (well, technical for 1 cruise), it didn't take a super psychic to predict we wouldn't be stopping there though nobody on the rc agreed.  Just the winds alone.  As we boarded, sure enough, "the letter."  

I also have really wondered about Iceland due to closures like Blue Lagoon and evacuation of the south, ongoing activity & enormous lava flows.  Again, normal reaction is, "They can alter excursions."   But on Getaway learned a bit more about both ship-used as well as private tour operators & how insurance restrictions can come into play. Blue Lagoon has been closed (still is?) and maybe more spots.

Why would I learn this on Getaway?  Well on St. Maarten our "3 hour tour" Double Decker bus all around the island became 6 hrs 10 mins.  A large oil leak caused bad accident up on the point/hill and a 2nd one down below such that in 1 hr 15 mins we had not traversed from one end of the runway to the other!  Sitting on uncushioned seats. Those who vied for the top found themselves in at least 3 good downpours.  Tour operator explained how they were in touch with the ship and since it was a 9:20 am shorex we had nothing to worry about.  With the "Late 8" in Africa fresh on our minds, a lively discussion flowed since we had nothing to do but sit & wait.  Had it been a little later in the day, the ship would have waited for us....unless it were so late they would have to go sooner or later.  2 diabetics in the group found gelato at 2 pm. as we were at a total standstill.

Usually the transatlantic crowd taking a northerly crossing is pretty "go with the flow."  (or crazy).  We'll be waiting for Pearl updates for some clues!  Thanks, Henry!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, mking8288 said:

Norwegian Pearl has left Miami earlier today, crew-only sailing north to NYC at a leisurely 15 kts for her TA, ETA is 5:30 AM - Thurs. 25th Apr and will be visiting Halifax and then Iceland, basically 2 days ahead of us

We booked the 2025 Pearl TA, leaving a year from tomorrow, from NY with a few stops in Canada, then Iceland, Belfast, Dublin, Le Havre and ending in Southampton.

However, we still have a year (okay, eight months before final payment) to change our mind. Kind of leery about Iceland temperatures in early May, based on your weather report a few pages back. We've never been into cruising in parkas, Also, not thrilled about having to fly to NY, stay a night or two at outrageous prices, then have to maneuver around the city from the airport to the hotel and to the port. (Again, based on what we read a few pages back.)

But I guess we'll see how it goes...

Edited by schmoopie17
  • Like 1

Oops, FogFog had posted while I was composing so I hope it's clear I was talking abut the weather!

Point well taken about non-ref.OBC whether shareholder or not.  Thrilled about the $250.  As you correctly state, it can't be used towards Daily Svc Chg - nor the extra $5 grats. left for a specialty - nor casino nor my casino "convenience" fee for room charge.  Have used it in the spa (& prices there, like everywhere, have gone up though there are still specials) but on Getaway I ended up shopping!  Our 40th is coming up later this month (yes, while I'm on Prima & Bob is recuperating from tomorrow's surgery) so....have never spent so much on a pair of sunglasses in my life and hope he likes them.  For me, the 2 for $25 last day sale, lol.

With Haven + specialties + Bev. pkg (if you have), you won't need a lot on that score.  

I use mine to pick up the slack on shorex, after the $50 credit and Lat. disc.  Only pre-booked 2 things so will put the N-Ref. OBC towards tours.  

Tip - I find the bills can get confusing esp. when you're trying to "match up" the shorex with the $50 credit that could be many lines down!  Bob had our Escape one marked up like a QB's playbook.  What works for me is getting printouts frequently (squinting into the TV a/c) to have a look.  For some reason, I'm always "off" with that N-Ref. so keep an eye on that as well.

Happy Passover to those observing.  Nice story, FogFog.

• Like 3

@snorklinbarb

Thanks for the clarification  🥰

I was thinking that maybe my first world problems whining about NCL and the stock OBC was a downer...NCL doesn't show much love do they. Just a bit miffed with NCL and some of this. And its not like we haven't got a lot of skin in the game with Haven etc too!

I do think NCL didn't serve the folks on the Prima right now very well-- could have made adjustments. It's not like this marine migration and shipping lanes isn't watched and known. I am all about respecting it all. Would love to see some whales. Haven't seen some since we were in Kona.

Hoping for the best on Iceland-- and wonder if they'd move us to Akureyri if need be...?

Fingers crossed for nice embarkation weather and as Henry reminded us back on the RC- bring your patience and sense of humor. 

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

Let's see if and how the Pearl is affected by these regulations or not. They are northbound now at just 15 kts with crews only.  Once docked this Thursday morning at Pier 88 by/before 10 AM - they can possibly early board Haven & others by 11 AM, easily.  Good for them on their TA.  Staterooms will be ready and few will miss lunch on embarkation day ...  

Boarding the Pearl in two days and we haven't heard anything on embarkation being delayed.   Just the usual spam on watching the safety video.  😁

We'll make sure to get Halifax and Reykjavik ready for you all!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

@ontheweb  Great idea & worthy for those panicking last minute to find a tour in NS, "downtown" or city centre is walkable along the waterfront, very easy & safe ... some of the other popular stops are slightly uphill.  From 2022, 2 of us took an Uber from Pier 20 to the Citadel (barrack/fortress) on the hilltop overlooking the city for $10 CN$ and slightly more hailing a taxi from one of the hotel's waiting zone back to the ship for a late lunch vs. spending more for the hop-on & off bus (price has gone up by an obscene amount since ...)   As usual, we'll play by ears & just wing it again since our "Escape" had to skip the stop last September.  Museum next door at the pier plus that indoor market/food court is the place for free & fast WiFi, with restrooms.  If "The Price is Right" with fresh lobsters in town, not flash frozen as this is still early in the season (unless they have soft shells at 2+ lbs a piece, then I "dive" for them, outta my way) - not going to starve for a few hours.

@snorklinbarb  Confession: I got lost on the Prima earlier on, took 3 others on an unscheduled cabin crawl toward the far end of the ship ... just once.  Now, "I believe I can fly" and neverlost (Hertz car rental commercial ...)  Plan to, but haven't really look at Windy App to preview sea state and waves ahead - if the going gets tough, just rock and roll with it, minding the stairs and hold on (loosely, at least) to hand rails.  

Folks: remember, the triangles on the carpet, look closer, are pointing the way - Fwd/Aft)   

We have a lot of TA "veterans" on this sailing's roll call, many sailed NCL x times and more, and some with other lines and changing up their pace & sampling to compare.  

Those non-refundable OBC - head for the duty-free shops and spend it down to zero ... cosmetics prices are usually fair ... LV bags are for sale onboard, "tax-free" and that should "fix" or solve anyone with too much OBC, not sure how to zero it out.  

Wait, I do wonder if one can refill those Starbucks gift cards and pay for the reloading using OBC.  

Sharon @Fogfog  Probably have a better idea by Thursday as to how bad things could become for Prima's day in NY - my gut feeling is that hailing the taxi from the doorsteps of the hotel is probably the best, fastest, easiest and it's going to be like $15 for the short ride, $20 at most with tips added.  Carmel will likely "overcharge" and Uber might not play the surge pricing game except no cars on the display being available in the vicinity.  Could be better than expected but too early to call the scores.  

@kattybiz  Great & Bon Voyage in less than 2 days, another app showing the Pearl's scheduled departure time is 18:00 - with an empty ship in ready mode when she get to NYC, should see a relatively smooth embarkation.  Besides, NCL can load provisions both while in Miami as well as NY for the TA crossing, unlike "our" Prima - fewer pax to get onboard.  Yes, we will be cheering and watching for your 1st two stops as the "pioneer" and pave the way for us.  Happy & safe travel ahead for a wonderful cruise.  

Lord, more spam NCL email about the video, oooookay - waiting, we ain't have a choice on the matter.  Heck, it beats 3,000 or whatever #'s people all standing around to wait for the last 100 to show up and for the crew to start the emergency/safety drill demo, which you often can't really hear or watch and then to try to get back to the cabin or elsewhere for the sailaway.  It's a no-win deal ... 

@Fogfog  I feel and think we have a fun & diverse group of cruisers onboard this weekend, the M&G will just be the kickoff for 2 weeks of informal & random gathering ... maybe, I should propose, on sea days, we have a daily (PM) roundtable inside Indudge Food Hall for CC'ers to hang out & shoot the breeze.  Close enough to the nearby bar at "The Loca" and the Haven elevator/lobby.  It was under-utilized on our last TA except during meal services & keep this low profile - just a thought, of course.  

Too bad the notion of a sailaway didn't materialize and the slot pull is a bust, but at least Peter is gung ho for a bar crawl and maybe surprise us with a scheme for cabin crawl.  Nor is there interest for LCR / LCR game on sea day (not that we play) fading away with the newer demographics ?  

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, mking8288 said:

Plan to, but haven't really look at Windy App to preview sea state and waves ahead - if the going gets tough, just rock and roll with it, minding the stairs and hold on (loosely, at least) to hand rails.  

Folks: remember, the triangles on the carpet, look closer, are pointing the way - Fwd/Aft)   

We have a lot of TA "veterans" on this sailing's roll call, many sailed NCL x times and more, and some with other lines and changing up their pace & sampling to compare.  

Those non-refundable OBC - head for the duty-free shops and spend it down to zero ... cosmetics prices are usually fair ... LV bags are for sale onboard, "tax-free" and that should "fix" or solve anyone with too much OBC, not sure how to zero it out.  

Wait, I do wonder if one can refill those Starbucks gift cards and pay for the reloading using OBC.  

Probably have a better idea by Thursday as to how bad things could become for Prima's day in NY - my gut feeling is that hailing the taxi from the doorsteps of the hotel is probably the best, fastest, easiest and it's going to be like $15 for the short ride, $20 at most with tips added.  

I feel and think we have a fun & diverse group of cruisers onboard this weekend, the M&G will just be the kickoff for 2 weeks of informal & random gathering ... maybe, I should propose, on sea days, we have a daily (PM) roundtable inside Indudge Food Hall for CC'ers to hang out & shoot the breeze.  Close enough to the nearby bar at "The Loca" and the Haven elevator/lobby.  It was under-utilized on our last TA except during meal services & keep this low profile - just a thought, of course.  

Too bad the notion of a sailaway didn't materialize and the slot pull is a bust, but at least Peter is gung ho for a bar crawl and maybe surprise us with a scheme for cabin crawl.  Nor is there interest for LCR / LCR game on sea day (not that we play) fading away with the newer demographics ?  

You have reminded me of when we had BIG swells between Madeira and Lisbon on a TA. My spouse slept through the night--I held onto the mattress for dear life--just terrified. It was more than I had expected. We were aft and had an amazing deep balcony and upper deck. I had gotten up in the middle of the night to throw towels down on the floor in case the toilet sloshed on the floor. Hangars and all banging in the closets in our stateroom and next door. 

Crew slept fine in the lower decks and thought I was hilarious.🤪

We'd be up for CLR/LCR-- I just dont have a set here to bring. If someone has a set, happy to join.

Same for your idea of am afternoon gathering as folks can.

I am hoping to see Bridge on the dailies in the AMs.

On OBC--I think the Starbucks was a No for the stockholder OBC. The list from the Haven concierge advising us on what we can not use it on was rather "unfortunate". I will see if I can post it later.

Guess tom I have to get serious about packing.

Did some errands today including some grocery shopping for the house sitter. 

Worked on things like "dog" info (vet/shots records/emergency vet info" etc today. 

No plants to worry about here 😉 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, schmoopie17 said:

We booked the 2025 Pearl TA, leaving a year from tomorrow, from NY with a few stops in Canada, then Iceland, Belfast, Dublin, Le Havre and ending in Southampton ... till have a year ... guess we'll see how it goes...

This year's Pearl TA, see post below from fella CC sailing shortly hasn't heard otherwise, fingers crossed for 2025. 

Deja vu - just saw this on Cruisehive now ...we aren't alone with the times-a-changing  😳🙄😤  but to my fellow RC members, Sharon got it  - Let it Go, Let It Be and Let It Roll. It is what it is 😬

Screenshot_20240423-225254.thumb.png.1b4ecc17e879d292660b7db5a80fabfe.png

In short, not mechanical or engine ... Right whales protection & speed restriction regs, not exactly "unforseen circumstances" after most cruisers, including seasoned ones, have finalized travel plans.  Just not (kindly fill in one's own) cool with thisLet the Getaway folks on this upcoming TA speak for themselves.  

Edited by mking8288