Park 19 on the Sun Princess

On 5/7/2024 at 5:07 PM, levonfan said:

Anyone have an update on Park 19 opening??? We are scheduled to go in 3 weeks. 

Asked yesterday....(I'm on it right now).....and the answer was "We have no plans for it to be opening for the next few weeks"

He didn't give a reason why.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

Asked yesterday....(I'm on it right now).....and the answer was "We have no plans for it to be opening for the next few weeks"

He didn't give a reason why.

Thanks so much for the updates. We board June 1. Are there any aspects of Park 19 open, or is it 100% not usable? Thanks again. 

41 minutes ago, Mary Kelly said:

Thanks so much for the updates. We board June 1. Are there any aspects of Park 19 open, or is it 100% not usable? Thanks again. 

I saw somebody mention on another platform that they spoke with a crew member and were told there are no plans to open any parts of Park 19 in the next several weeks. 

We sail on the Sun Princess over Thanksgiving and I'd like to think there's no way it's not open by then, but who knows at this rate. 

I know Park 19 is the only reason we chose this ship so I certainly hope they figure out how to get it open soon...I feel really bad for the families who have sailed already and didn't get to enjoy it. 

12 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I saw somebody mention on another platform that they spoke with a crew member and were told there are no plans to open any parts of Park 19 in the next several weeks. 

We sail on the Sun Princess over Thanksgiving and I'd like to think there's no way it's not open by then, but who knows at this rate. 

I know Park 19 is the only reason we chose this ship so I certainly hope they figure out how to get it open soon...I feel really bad for the families who have sailed already and didn't get to enjoy it. 

Exactly. That is the absolute only reason we chose to sail on the Sun. 

• Like 2

On 5/8/2024 at 12:57 AM, Mary Kelly said:

We are in the June 1 cruise and hoping that Park 19 is open. We wanted this for our Grandkids and specifically booked the Sun for Park 19. 
Hopefully we can get some updates soon. 

We are on now with kids.

There is nothing for them to do.

Previous cruises they've been on (Princess)  they have loved the kids club and I couldn't keep them away. Now they don't want to go.

Park 19 is not open and not expected to be for "some weeks"  (what they said yesterday)  and there is only one pool worth going to and that's at the back.

Kids are having a very expensive week in the pool!

Never this ship again!

1 minute ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

We are on now with kids.

Previous cruises they've been on (Princess)  they have loved the kids club and I couldn't keep them away. Now they don't want to go.

Park 19 is not open and not expected to be for "some weeks"  (what they said yesterday)  and there is only one pool worth going to and that's at the back.

Never this ship again!

Why don't they like the kids club? 

My kids have loved the kids clubs on every ship we've ever been on... Is there something wrong with the one on the Sun Princess? Or are they just being stubborn?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

We are on now with kids.

Never this ship again!

Ugh!!! I have to wonder if there is any financial recourse for parents with kids and having Park 19 completely closed. Especially since this was the main reason for booking the Sun. I wasn’t thrilled about sailing on the Sun but what swayed us was Park 19 for the kids. I kept saying Park 19 was going to make it worth it. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Mary Kelly said:

Ugh!!! I have to wonder if there is any financial recourse for parents with kids and having Park 19 completely closed. Especially since this was the main reason for booking the Sun. I wasn’t thrilled about sailing on the Sun but what swayed us was Park 19 for the kids. I kept saying Park 19 was going to make it worth it. 

I hope you have a better experience than us.

It's 8pm and kids are bored and want to go back to the cabin.

2 hours ago, FiftyOnePlus said:

We are on now with kids.

Never this ship again!

On another thread I mentioned a few weeks ago that this would be a problem when school vacations started for the summer.  I really hope for all parents’ sake that the “few weeks” projection is an accurate one. Rolling into July without Park 19 will not be pretty. 

11 minutes ago, vjmatty said:

On another thread I mentioned a few weeks ago that this would be a problem when school vacations started for the summer.  I really hope for all parents’ sake that the “few weeks” projection is an accurate one. Rolling into July without Park 19 will not be pretty. 

By the time July rolls around, the majority of summer break will be over here in Virginia...our kids go back at the end of July.

Princess definitely missed the boat on this one (or is that ship?).

For what's supposed to be a premium cruise line, they seem to operate much more like their Carnival counterpart than Celebrity.

• Like 1

Not only for kids and families with kids. I am so looking forward to Park 19th and I am not a kid, yes, in my 70's and want to do the slide, and the walks and all of it. So, we will be very, very, very sad and unhappy if this venue is not up and running by Oct when we go. What could possibly taking so long to get something like this working, I know it is new, but really?????

• Like 3

NCL can get the Go Karts working without an issue on their ships straight away.

Princess are really shooting themselves in the foot with the Park 19 delay. 

My son has always enjoyed the kids' clubs but he just turned 18 and aged out. This was our whole reason for choosing this ship. What is he going to do now? This was a graduation present.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Cafabi said:

My son has always enjoyed the kids' clubs but he just turned 18 and aged out. This was our whole reason for choosing this ship. What is he going to do now? This was a graduation present.

He can do anything aboard any other adult can do, including buy booze if sailing around Europe.

There should be "Club 1820" meetups, ie cruise staff facilitated meetups for that age group - but they'll be limited.  And may not be all that much on European sailings, for instance, given 18 is an adult (in all ways) over there.. 

And honestly - how often was he really going to ride the roll glider or climb the ropes course? 50 times a day? Nope. Maybe a couple times a day, maybe, if that - and the slides aren't exactly long rides.. once he's done it all, the entire rest of the cruise time would still be open..  assuming Park 19 isn't open yet when you sail, there goes an hour or so of activities on sea days...the games like Cornhole and connect 4 and the court type area are open already...

Edited by reedprincess
  • Like 1

Is ANYTHING up on Deck 19 open?  The Princess promo material lists the following features.  Are any of them usable, such as the Jogging Track, Recreational Court, Splash Zone or Hammock Area?  

Located on decks 19, 20, and 21, Park19 was envisioned for active guests and multi-generational families to explore and connect through inclusive and engaging activities, including:

• Sea Breeze – Inspired by the dream of hang gliding but in a safe environment, the Sea Breeze is the first Rollglider on a cruise ship and takes guests high above to enjoy panoramic views of the ocean and breathtaking ports of call. Using an overhead track, guests are seated and harnessed to this electric ride which reaches speeds of up to 11 mph during the 60- to 90-second experience that is also ADA accessible.
  • Coastal Climb – On this engaging climbing structure guests ascend from decks 19 to 20 through a series of obstacles. Once at the top, guests can take in the gorgeous views before sliding back down to the bottom.
  • The Lookout – At the top of the climbing structure, adventurers make their way to The Lookout open-air observation deck to take in stunning 360º views from the highest point available to guests onboard Sun Princess.
  • The Net – Harnessed above deck 19, guests are challenged to trek across unstable bridges, a z-shaped balance beam and climb cargo nets.
  • Infinite Horizon – For those who love heights, leaning tilt walls cantilevered over the side of the ship allow guests to peer out from deck 19 and look down to deck nine and beyond.
  • Hammock Area – Another first for Princess, relaxing hammocks allow Park19 visitors to take a break from exploring to hang out with family and friends.
  • Splash Zone – A whimsical splash area with pop jets and a beautiful water sculpture offer a refreshing and relaxing area to chill.
  • Recreational Court – From ping pong, shuffleboard, Xponential Fitness classes and morning meditation, a rotation of sports and wellness options will be offered to guests in this multifunction sports court.
  • Jogging Track – A refreshing open-air track allows guests to walk, jog or run at their own leisure and pace, with 6.7 times around the track equaling one mile.

1 hour ago, JimmyVWine said:

Is ANYTHING up on Deck 19 open?  The Princess promo material lists the following features.  Are any of them usable, such as the Jogging Track, Recreational Court, Splash Zone or Hammock Area?  

Located on decks 19, 20, and 21, Park19 was envisioned for active guests and multi-generational families to explore and connect through inclusive and engaging activities, including:

• Sea Breeze – Inspired by the dream of hang gliding but in a safe environment, the Sea Breeze is the first Rollglider on a cruise ship and takes guests high above to enjoy panoramic views of the ocean and breathtaking ports of call. Using an overhead track, guests are seated and harnessed to this electric ride which reaches speeds of up to 11 mph during the 60- to 90-second experience that is also ADA accessible.
  • Coastal Climb – On this engaging climbing structure guests ascend from decks 19 to 20 through a series of obstacles. Once at the top, guests can take in the gorgeous views before sliding back down to the bottom.
  • The Lookout – At the top of the climbing structure, adventurers make their way to The Lookout open-air observation deck to take in stunning 360º views from the highest point available to guests onboard Sun Princess.
  • The Net – Harnessed above deck 19, guests are challenged to trek across unstable bridges, a z-shaped balance beam and climb cargo nets.
  • Infinite Horizon – For those who love heights, leaning tilt walls cantilevered over the side of the ship allow guests to peer out from deck 19 and look down to deck nine and beyond.
  • Hammock Area – Another first for Princess, relaxing hammocks allow Park19 visitors to take a break from exploring to hang out with family and friends.
  • Splash Zone – A whimsical splash area with pop jets and a beautiful water sculpture offer a refreshing and relaxing area to chill.
  • Recreational Court – From ping pong, shuffleboard, Xponential Fitness classes and morning meditation, a rotation of sports and wellness options will be offered to guests in this multifunction sports court.
  • Jogging Track – A refreshing open-air track allows guests to walk, jog or run at their own leisure and pace, with 6.7 times around the track equaling one mile.

We disembarked Sun Princess on Saturday May 25.   The jogging track is open. Walked on it most days.  Hammock area is also open.  It can be a nice place to hang out if it’s not too windy.  
There’s a netted off area that has a bean bag toss and other things. I’m not sure if this could be the Recreational court.  All the rest was not available 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I have a connection to someone who works in corporate Princess (I don't want to say the department they work in or how I know them, but they are very much in the know via their job title). They've told me that Park19 won't be open in June. Very disappointing. 

Edited by GK95

And honestly - how often was he really going to ride the roll glider or climb the ropes course? 50 times a day? Nope. Maybe a couple times a day, maybe, if that - and the slides aren't exactly long rides.. once he's done it all, the entire rest of the cruise time would still be open..  assuming Park 19 isn't open yet when you sail, there goes an hour or so of activities on sea days...the games like Cornhole and connect 4 and the court type area are open already...

I do understand what you are saying, but in the defense of the passengers who are sailing on the Sun it would appears that a lot of us would like the boat to be complete and usable as advertised. We did not pick this ship only for Park 19, but I will admit that was a very big part of the decision. Granted we may not use it every minute, but then again we do not use the buffet hardly ever and I bet there are a lot of folks who would be unhappy if for some reason it was closed. Yes, you can still get food many other places, but to be fair that is not what is advertised. So, at least Princess should let the passengers understand what the problems are and how they are to be fixed since this is a VERY LARGE part of the advertising for the new ship. Sorry to vent.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Shaver John said:

Wow, did they mention Oct. Just wondering.....

No, only mentioned the upcoming month. I’d be curious if Princess even knows right now past a month-to-month basis but wanted to respect them sharing what they did by not asking a bunch of questions.