Live From the Grand Princess, 22-Day Alaska B2B, Apr 30 - May 22

45 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK. Now I’m really confused. But that’s OK. We’re going to Glacier Bay two more times on this next leg, so I’ll have listen a little closer next time. But what you’re saying is that the Grand Pacific Glacier is on the right of this picture and the Margerie Glacier is the one on the left.

IMG_5528.jpeg.b903b640ac8aafee190aea1e5a27ad7f.jpeg

Yes, the end of the Tarr Inlet, I believe.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

We arrive in Vancouver tomorrow at 4 am, on the Majestic Princess.

Cool! According to the Cruise Mapper Port Schedule, the Majestic arrives at 3 am and departs the following morning at 2 am. That seems kind of an odd time to leave a port. 

IMG_5535.thumb.jpeg.f9214058443b14caf358e700ce3add0d.jpeg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

She's just too big...to get under the Lions Gate Bridge at low tide.  She has to wait it out.  At least her passengers will have a full day in Vancouver.  

And then she will head out to sea (not Inside Passage).

12 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Cool! According to the Cruise Mapper Port Schedule, the Majestic arrives at 3 am and departs the following morning at 2 am. That seems kind of an odd time to leave a port. 

IMG_5535.thumb.jpeg.f9214058443b14caf358e700ce3add0d.jpeg

Edited by cr8tiv1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s our updated itinerary for the second leg of our cruise. Basically, we’re not going on any excursions when we are in Juneau, as our Juneau excursion on the first leg pretty much checked the box of places we wanted to see there. 

8-Day Inside Passage                                 14-Day Voyage of the Glaciers

Date Destination   Arrive Depart Date Destination    Arrive Depart
4/29 Fly to Vancouver BC 10:30 PM   5/8 Port of Vancouver   7:30 AM 4:00 PM
  Fairmont Hotel     5/9 Inside Passage    
4/30 Port of Vancouver   9:30 AM 4:00 PM 5/10 Ketchikan AK   6:00 AM 2:00 PM
5/1 Johnstone Strait     5/11 Juneau AK   8:00 AM 9:00 PM
5/2 Sitka AK 10:00 AM 6:00 PM 5/12 Skagway AK   7:00 AM 8:30 PM
5/3 Juneau AK   8:00 AM 9:00 PM 5/13 Glacier Bay NP   6:00 AM 3:00 PM
5/4 Skagway AK   7:00 AM 8:30 PM 5/14 College Fjord   6:00 PM 8:30 PM
5/5 Glacier Bay NP   6:00 AM 3:00 PM 5/15 Whittier AK 12:30 AM 8:30 PM
5/6 Ketchikan AK   9:00 AM 6:00 PM 5/16 Hubbard Glacier   3:00 PM 8:00 PM
5/7 Inside Passage     5/17 Glacier Bay NP   9:15 AM 7:30 PM
5/8 Port of Vancouver    7:30 AM 4:00 PM 5/18 Skagway AK   7:00 AM 8:30 PM
        5/19 Juneau AK   6:30 AM 4:00 PM
        5/20 Ketchikan AK 10:00 AM 6:00 PM
        5/21 Inside Passage    
        5/22 Port of Vancouver   7:30 AM  
          Fairmont Hotel   3:00 PM  
        5/23 Fly Home   9:15 AM
  • Like 3

1. 16 hours ago, warren buffet said:

Hey that is me and.my wife's sailing.both legs also.  Maybe we should meet for a drink 

You betcha (in my Minnesota accent).  Let me know when and where and I'll confirm it with my blushing bride.  Cheers.

Posted (edited)

In Juneau if you have never done it before the Mt. Roberts tram on a sunny day is spectacular.  The views from the top are amazing and if you are into hiking there are many nice trails you can take at the top.  Also, if you are a beer drinker you can take a tour of the Alaska Brewing Company.  There is a small store in town that will provide you transportation to and from.

In Whittier I would suggest taking the 26-glacier cruise which is right next to where your ship will dock.  Great opportunities for seeing wildlife and glaciers up close.  Some will be the same as what you'll have seen in College Fjord, but also many others.

Edited by TM

To add to TM's comment, at the top of the Mt. Roberts tram is a restaurant that serves crab nachos.  As my daughter said while eating them, "If these are wrong, I don't want to be right."  Goes very well with Alaskan Amber beer.  Cheers.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, TM said:

In Juneau if you have never done it before the Mt. Roberts tram on a sunny day is spectacular.  The views from the top are amazing and if you are into hiking there are many nice trails you can take at the top.  Also, if you are a beer drinker you can take a tour of the Alaska Brewing Company.  There is a small store in town that will provide you transportation to and from.

In Whittier I would suggest taking the 26-glacier cruise which is right next to where your ship will dock.  Great opportunities for seeing wildlife and glaciers up close.  Some will be the same as what you'll have seen in College Fjord, but also many others.

Thanks! We’re actually planning to do both of those, but weren’t aware of the trails up top. We noticed the tram was near where the Grand was docked last week, so we figured no need to book an excursion for that. As far as the 26-glacier cruise, we actually have that one booked through Princess. We realize it was a little cheaper if we booked it directly, as the tour boat will be right next to where the Grand will be. But since we recently made Elite, we get a 10% discount booking excursions through Princess, so it was pretty much a wash.

Thanks all for the info about the Great Spirits cocktail event.  We treated ourselves to the Plus upgrade so are looking forward to trying all kinds of craft cocktails.

Alexandra

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

We have arrived back in Vancouver!!

IMG_7228.thumb.jpeg.4ebf4f1960aae8826a6cb13eede891d2.jpeg

@Ken the cruiser thanks for the trip report! I was on the same cruise and appreciated your comprehensive insights I would’ve otherwise missed.  Enjoy your next trip up to Alaska!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bemidji Ty said:
  1. You betcha (in my Minnesota accent).  Let me know when and where and I'll confirm it with my blushing bride.  Cheers.

That's "ya sure, you betcha"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, silkismom said:

That's "ya sure, you betcha"

Ooh ya, don'tcha know.  I been away from Bemidji too long.  I gotta a guy from church what's from Wisconsin and I can kinda understand him.  Hows about we finda bar what plays polka music and we can have a beer ana bump din?  Okey dokey?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

OK. Now I’m really confused. But that’s OK. We’re going to Glacier Bay two more times on this next leg, so I’ll have listen a little closer next time. But what you’re saying is that the Grand Pacific Glacier is on the right of this picture and the Margerie Glacier is the one on the left.

IMG_5528.jpeg.b903b640ac8aafee190aea1e5a27ad7f.jpeg

That's correct.  Grand Pacific is the fastest receding Glacier in the world apparently.

• Thanks 1

After our “free” dinner in the Crown Grill for being in a suite, we headed off to watch a very engaging Rock n Roll pianist, Jefferson McDonald.

IMG_7314.thumb.jpeg.0a098a2440cf9efb0feb8e05dbf903ab.jpeg

IMG_7317.thumb.jpeg.25099ce9d8f790264fb0aa0a2070718c.jpeg

Then we were off to the Explorers Lounge to watch Strike Out hosted by Nick, the assistant CD, whom we very much enjoyed on the last leg.

IMG_7324.thumb.jpeg.882ce44f536ac2e140540661ec4e2d45.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Day 10 - May 9 - Sea Day

IMG_7325.thumb.jpeg.52831b05a285ec6bb2239e647c8b8213.jpeg

IMG_7326.thumb.jpeg.1a75556bbe39be080510702c85781c71.jpeg

The internet is a little slow this evening. Maybe a bunch of the new 2,515 guests onboard are back in their cabins streaming movies! 😂 

BTW there were only 20 of us staying on from the last cruise.

IMG_5601.jpeg.43247ce2d1523cc1fc3e8f4a1f39fcc2.jpeg

What time was dinner so that you were out in time for the 9 pm show?  

You are the master of game show timing.  Do you have to attend the 7:30 theater in order to make it to the Explorer’s Lounge?  Is there anything worth while if I do the 9:30 shows?

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

What time was dinner so that you were out in time for the 9 pm show?  

You are the master of game show timing.  Do you have to attend the 7:30 theater in order to make it to the Explorer’s Lounge?  Is there anything worth while if I do the 9:30 shows?

They had the regular 7:30 and 9:30 pm shows this evening, unlike embarkation day on April 30 when there was only the one 9 pm show. 

You can always go to the 8:30 pm game in the Explorers Lounge and then head to the late 9:30 pm show. I’m sure there might be something after the 9:30 pm show. But we usually head back to the cabin so I don’t have any experience in that area.