Ship excursion or on our own - Sorrento/Capri

mozfoz

We will be sailing on the Marina in October, our first time with Oceania.  We will tender into Sorrento and will be in port 7-6.  Our intent is to go to Capri in the morning, do the Blue Grotto and just stroll around the town and have lunch. Then head back to Sorrento and do some shopping, ship by and getting to the ship by 5.  Is this too ambitious as it will be on a Sunday. Do ship excursions leave from the ship or the main port? Our preference is to do it on our own, but maybe in this instance, the ship excursion may be the best route. Any advice/comments will be appreciated.

We did this many years ago in November on another cruise line, but I think it is doable given your time in port. 

Check the ferry schedule online.  That should give you some idea of what's feasible. I am sure you can probably buy tickets online these days. 

We did not go to the Blue Grotto because we were advised that the seas were too rough that day for the boats, so you will need to check on that.  And know what your transportation options are for getting there and back on Capri. 

The Church of San Michele in Capri has an incredible majolica floor which is worth seeing if it is open.   

We did a lovely coastal walk on Capri - beautiful place. 

Others can probably give you more up to date info. 

Hope it works out for you.  Enjoy your cruise. 

On your own for sure!!!  We spend time on land in Sorrento every year plus we have stopped many times on cruises.   Do not waste your time wandering this lovely area following a guide.

The tenders come in right at the ferry dock.  Ferries run several an hour and are appx a half hour long.  The ferry schedule is naplesbayferry.com. It lists all ferry companies.  You can purchase tickets online too, highly recommended, but please note, as of this past October, you still must pick up your tickets at the ticket office of your particular ferry company.  All the ticket offices are in a row at the ferry docks.

Purchase a round trip and you can pick up your return ticket at the same time.  Tickets do sell out for the most popular times when ships are in port so do purchase in advance.

In Capri, do not miss the gardens of Augustus, they have some of the best views on Capri.

Regarding the Blue Grotto, you will be bombarded with people selling tours to the Blue Grotto as soon as you get off the ferry.  You can also rent any size of a boat to take you around the island including a stop at the grotto and a stop or two for swimming.

Enjoy, Sorrento is our happy place…..

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, the more ports the better said:

On your own for sure!!!  We spend time on land in Sorrento every year plus we have stopped many times on cruises.   Do not waste your time wandering this lovely area following a guide.

The tenders come in right at the ferry dock.  Ferries run several an hour and are appx a half hour long.  The ferry schedule is naplesbayferry.com. It lists all ferry companies.  You can purchase tickets online too, highly recommended, but please note, as of this past October, you still must pick up your tickets at the ticket office of your particular ferry company.  All the ticket offices are in a row at the ferry docks.

Purchase a round trip and you can pick up your return ticket at the same time.  Tickets do sell out for the most popular times when ships are in port so do purchase in advance.

In Capri, do not miss the gardens of Augustus, they have some of the best views on Capri.

Regarding the Blue Grotto, you will be bombarded with people selling tours to the Blue Grotto as soon as you get off the ferry.  You can also rent any size of a boat to take you around the island including a stop at the grotto and a stop or two for swimming.

Enjoy, Sorrento is our happy place…..

Have you used this ferry service to Positano from Sorrento?

Edited by EJL2023

We did Capri on our own in August 2022. October should be a bit less crowded! It is a charming island. 

There are many different ferry lines but they are not quite as separate as you might guess. Departing from Sorrento when we pick up our ticket next time we will ask which boat/slip we are headed to. I didn't, and dragged DH to end of pier - right company, wrong boat. Walked all the way back to other end of embarkment for the correct boat, we were in the last 10 people to board lol.

Our return ferry was cancelled last minute but we were able to (as directed) exchange our tickets for a different line's boat that was scheduled to leave just before the one we'd been aiming for. All worked out fine but very grateful we didn't cut it too close! 

• Thanks 1

I would be quite surprised if the ship’s excursion goes directly from the ship to Capri (I assume you are asking if for the ship’s shore excursion to Capri that the ship will use its own tender boat and take you from the ship’s tender loading point directly to Capri instead of to the tender dock point in Sorrento to catch a ferry to Capri).

I was on Capri late September last year. It was terribly over crowded. Time consuming queus for everything. So my tip is do not be over ambitious with what you plan to do and ensure you allow plenty of time so you can really enjoy whatever you do.

Yes, I have taken the ferry from Sorrento to Positano several times.  Not off of a ship though.  We stay at the Excelsior on top of the cliff above the ferry dock.  They have an elevator that goes down the cliff to the dock so really easy.

The ferry is about 45 min and there are two around 9:00 and one later in the morning.  They are seasonal.  There are several returns between 2:00 and 5:00.

Positano is fantastic.  Honestly, the ferry ride itself is beautiful.  Much prettier than the ferry going to Capri.  Make sure you sit on the land side (left). The views of Positano from the water are almost better than being in town.

You would have time to take the ferry to Amalfi, stop in Amalfi for an hour or so, then ferry to Positano, stay there for 2-3 hours then back to Sorrento. The Positano to Amalfi ferry is equally spectacular.

NLG sells a day ticket with this route, 9:00-10:20 Sorrento to Amalfi, 11:30ish Amalfi to Positano (20 minutes) then appx 2:30 or 4:00 depending on your preference back to Sorrento.

FYI, the most spectacular hike I have done is going from Bomerano to Positano.  Stop at LaTagliata for lunch on the way down to Positano.  It’s another beautiful option.

• Thanks 1

In a "perfect world" your plan is doable.  But I would suggest you enjoy Sorrento on your own and save Capri for another time...or do a ship tour to Capri.

Just too many moving-parts doing Capri on your own that can go wrong.

On 4/24/2024 at 10:38 AM, mozfoz said:

We will be sailing on the Marina in October, our first time with Oceania.  We will tender into Sorrento and will be in port 7-6.  Our intent is to go to Capri in the morning, do the Blue Grotto and just stroll around the town and have lunch. Then head back to Sorrento and do some shopping, ship by and getting to the ship by 5.  Is this too ambitious as it will be on a Sunday. Do ship excursions leave from the ship or the main port? Our preference is to do it on our own, but maybe in this instance, the ship excursion may be the best route. Any advice/comments will be appreciated.

Greetings! 
i was in Sorrento last year on a land trip. I can tell you that without booking the Blue Grotto in advance you will most certainly not get in.

Our guide got us there with tickets in hand and onto the boat to go in without having to wait on line. We saw the line of people without reservations and it was ridiculous. We met a couple the following day who said they waited but never made it in.

The Blue Grotto is a once in a lifetime experience and I recommend you see it, with or without O.