Backpack left on in Stateroom 2400 Venezia

OP - sorry to hear of the loss of your property.  I understand you venting here on CC, but I do not think you will get too much sympathy here.  Maybe post somewhere where there is a roll-call for the cruise after yours.  Perhaps you will be lucky and a person on that roll-call will have been in your cabin after you and can help in some way.   If you have travel insurance file a claim through them.  Also, some major credit cards have trip insurance as a "perk."  Look into that also.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2024 at 1:43 PM, chengkp75 said:

What do you think was done in the "full investigation" that Carnival says was done?

In my experience with corporate "full investigations" of this sort... nothing. Absolutely nothing. Not a tiny bit of investigation.

Complaint/question went right in the spam folder, and corporate is just PR shilling an actually did nothing at all.

• Like 1

On 4/28/2024 at 7:04 PM, Lilfeat said:

All I wanted when this first occurred was for a Carnival Rep to have the Steward check the exact location of where I left my backpack on the same day in which I left it

First let me say that I also think that this is a troll post, but let me explain what would happen if the OP really notified pier-side staff that an item of value was left behind in a stateroom.

First, there is a pier-side staffer on the ship during the disembarkation.  This person is usually by the podiums where passengers are being scanned off the ship.  This pier-side staffer is the one relaying the passenger counts to the terminal managers.

If the OP had approached a staffer in the luggage hall and said that a backpack had been left in a stateroom, he would have been directed to a supervisor who would have relayed that information to the pier-side staffer on the ship. That staffer in turn, would have told the one of the ship officers overseeing the disembarkation that they needed to retrieve / look for a backpack in stateroom #.  This happens all the time with passports/ wallets accidently left behind in stateroom safes.  Asking to look for an item (especially an item of value like a backpack) happens on every cruise day. 

Believe me, both the ship and the pier-side luggage team would prefer to find any missing or misplaced item before having to fill out paperwork.

As to the OP later revising his tale by saying the maybe his backpack was in a spot not obvious to the room steward - all I can say is that 99% of the newly embarked passengers would, IMO, turn in an item like a backpack if they found it sitting in their closet.  Most folks are decent people, and they would do the right thing.

• Like 13

21 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

"Do not believe everything people post on the internet".

~  Abraham Lincoln, 1935.

Everyone knows that quote was from 1936, not 1935. Quit trying to throw us off! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

First let me say that I also think that this is a troll post, but let me explain what would happen if the OP really notified pier-side staff that an item of value was left behind in a stateroom.

First, there is a pier-side staffer on the ship during the disembarkation.  This person is usually by the podiums where passengers are being scanned off the ship.  This pier-side staffer is the one relaying the passenger counts to the terminal managers.

If the OP had approached a staffer in the luggage hall and said that a backpack had been left in a stateroom, he would have been directed to a supervisor who would have relayed that information to the pier-side staffer on the ship. That staffer in turn, would have told the one of the ship officers overseeing the disembarkation that they needed to retrieve / look for a backpack in stateroom #.  This happens all the time with passports/ wallets accidently left behind in stateroom safes.  Asking to look for an item (especially an item of value like a backpack) happens on every cruise day. 

Believe me, both the ship and the pier-side luggage team would prefer to find any missing or misplaced item before having to fill out paperwork.

As to the OP later revising his tale by saying the maybe his backpack was in a spot not obvious to the room steward - all I can say is that 99% of the newly embarked passengers would, IMO, turn in an item like a backpack if they found it sitting in their closet.  Most folks are decent people, and they would do the right thing.

Thanks for sharing … I hope I don’t ever need this information, but I’m certainly glad to have it should the need arise. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, VIFP1987 said:

Thanks for sharing … I hope I don’t ever need this information, but I’m certainly glad to have it should the need arise. 

People who work at cruise ports are in the hospitality business - they want to make passengers happy.  In a situation like this (left behind item of value), passengers should always feel that they can ask for help, and if the first staff person asked seems unsure, then ask for a supervisor.  Generally, they will make every effort to try to find the lost/left behind item.  The pier-side staff makes the request, and it is the  ship's crew who the actual people looking, but everyone does their best.

@VIFP1987, thanks for letting me know that you found this information helpful.  ;  )

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

People who work at cruise ports are in the hospitality business - they want to make passengers happy.  In a situation like this (left behind item of value), passengers should always feel that they can ask for help, and if the first staff person asked seems unsure, then ask for a supervisor.  Generally, they will make every effort to try to find the lost/left behind item.  The pier-side staff makes the request, and it is the  ship's crew who the actual people looking, but everyone does their best.

@VIFP1987, thanks for letting me know that you found this information helpful.  ;  )

Plus paperwork bad....

4 hours ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

Huh? What travel insurance policy covers loss due to forgetfulness?

I'm thinking insurance would respond to an accident but not to recklessness.  Forgetting to pick up the bag would likely be considered the latter.