Are gratuities added to drink purchases (NOT the cheers package)

Hi! Seeking help.

I've searched high and low and can't find an answer. We usually purchase the cheer's package, but not this time. We're trying to plan how much cash to bring.

Our question: if we order a single drink at a bar on a Carnival ship, is a tip added automatically?

I can only find answers about the various packages, not individual purchases, and the answer will change how much cash we bring.

Thank you in advance, and apologies if this is somewhere obvious, but I searched Carnival Q&A and this forum and couldn't find the answer. Really appreciate the help! 😀

2 minutes ago, yucky007 said:

Hi! Seeking help.

I've searched high and low and can't find an answer. We usually purchase the cheer's package, but not this time. We're trying to plan how much cash to bring.

Our question: if we order a single drink at a bar on a Carnival ship, is a tip added automatically?

I can only find answers about the various packages, not individual purchases, and the answer will change how much cash we bring.

Thank you in advance, and apologies if this is somewhere obvious, but I searched Carnival Q&A and this forum and couldn't find the answer. Really appreciate the help! 😀

Yes it is 18% was the amount in March

• Like 3

Thanks! That's really good to know. We used to tip cash but if they're already adding a couple dollars automatically I'm not sure what to do. It feels wrong not to tip, but if it's already being deducted.... What do most folks do nowadays?

2 minutes ago, yucky007 said:

Thanks! That's really good to know. We used to tip cash but if they're already adding a couple dollars automatically I'm not sure what to do. It feels wrong not to tip, but if it's already being deducted.... What do most folks do nowadays?

But, you aren't not tipping, you simply aren't choosing the minimum amount (because you can always tip more if you want to). The same applies with Cheers- the tip was paid with the plan. Whether or not I add more doesn't impact that. 

27 minutes ago, yucky007 said:

You are tipping, it's just automatically added to the bill. If you want to tip more that's up to you but it's not necessary or expected.

46 minutes ago, yucky007 said:

It will say right on the receipt you sign what the gratuity is.  

2 hours ago, yucky007 said:

.... What do most folks do nowadays?

I typically do not add anything extra.  I don't drink a lot, and I don't need a bartender to get to know me or provide any special service.  It's entirely up to you.   If you do want to tip extra, you can either add it to the tab or tip in cash.   

• Like 1

On 4/29/2024 at 8:44 AM, yucky007 said:

We generally do not tip extra. If the bartender is particularly helpful or is hustling (seems to be the case more now, as bars seem understaffed) we will add an extra dollar amount to the slip. Sometimes we will give extra cash on the last night to a bartender who had been outstanding

• Like 1

8 hours ago, simplelife said:

We generally do not tip extra. If the bartender is particularly helpful or is hustling (seems to be the case more now, as bars seem understaffed) we will add an extra dollar amount to the slip. Sometimes we will give extra cash on the last night to a bartender who had been outstanding

They might seem understaffed but in reality there are only so many bodies that can move around back there efficiently. With the number of customers they are serving they most definitely have to hustle and I rarely waited more than 5 minutes at the bar for a drink last week, even when they were busy.

• Like 1

Thanks for posting this! I also was searching everywhere without finding an answer, but I did find you can add bar cash to your Sail and Sign account before boarding. Since gratuities are included you won't have to carry a wad of cash. Just don't add more than you're sure you will use, it's use it or lose it.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2024 at 6:45 AM, sparks1093 said:

They might seem understaffed but in reality there are only so many bodies that can move around back there efficiently. With the number of customers they are serving they most definitely have to hustle and I rarely waited more than 5 minutes at the bar for a drink last week, even when they were busy.

Some of the bars on our last couple of cruises were definitely understaffed; These were ships we had been on before and knew that bars that had only one person this time had 2 or 3 before. Wait time was more like 15 minutes.