Silhouette transatlantic update

Currently enjoying sea day in the middle of he Atlantic.  Sailing has been mostly smooth.  The first 2 days out of Florida were the rockiest. Overall everything has been great. I’m in aqua and Blu has had great choices for dinners.    The comments people say about limited choices or preparation I would disagree completely with. 

Found a great pinot noir by the glass, penner ash, yes over the premium limit by 4 but well worth it.  It costs about 60 or so in nh for the bottle in New Hampshire and it’s the one I drink at home.  Had a couple whites in premium that are very good also.  World class bar as always excellent. Mostly eaten breakfast in blu and all food as usual was great. Lunch mostly has been ordering a gluten free pizza with picked toppings, Ie peppers mushroom black olives.   Not a desert person so no comment there.   Cafe al bacio knew my order by day 2 and I just sit and my English breakfast tea is there within a cpl minutes. 

entertainment has been good to very good.  Magician was fun but as usual with magicians they would work better in a cabaret type setting.  The singers and other performers are very good.  Comic was good in spots.  

Some guests as usual are completely inconsiderate to other guests and staff.  Found it funny when walking decks yesterday morning when overhearing one guest all upset because he was adamant room service was an hour early and they woke home up.  Ummm someone forgot or didn’t listen to all the staff telling you about time change that happened. 

it’s my first TA and will do more in future as enjoying the sea days 

• Like 16

We love the Silhouette! Have taken two cruises (TA westbounds) on her. Thought Captain Kirk was the best but hear you have a new captain. Where did the new one come from?  

Just now, buzz031 said:

We love the Silhouette! Have taken two cruises (TA westbounds) on her. Thought Captain Kirk was the best but hear you have a new captain. Where did the new one come from?  

Captain is Nigel smith I believe.  He is pretty personable. From Ireland I believe.  This is my 6 or 7 on the silhouette.  Always good.  

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the report.  We also love the Silly.  We were on in February, and will be bringing her back across the ocean in November - our first TA. 

Captain is actually Nigel smyrh correct spelling.   Met him today while having a beer in craft social.  Really personable.  Crew likes him, which to me says the most.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Currently enjoying sea day in the middle of he Atlantic.  Sailing has been mostly smooth.  The first 2 days out of Florida were the rockiest. Overall everything has been great. I’m in aqua and Blu has had great choices for dinners.    The comments people say about limited choices or preparation I would disagree completely with. 

Found a great pinot noir by the glass, penner ash, yes over the premium limit by 4 but well worth it.  It costs about 60 or so in nh for the bottle in New Hampshire and it’s the one I drink at home.  Had a couple whites in premium that are very good also.  World class bar as always excellent. Mostly eaten breakfast in blu and all food as usual was great. Lunch mostly has been ordering a gluten free pizza with picked toppings, Ie peppers mushroom black olives.   Not a desert person so no comment there.   Cafe al bacio knew my order by day 2 and I just sit and my English breakfast tea is there within a cpl minutes. 

entertainment has been good to very good.  Magician was fun but as usual with magicians they would work better in a cabaret type setting.  The singers and other performers are very good.  Comic was good in spots.  

Some guests as usual are completely inconsiderate to other guests and staff.  Found it funny when walking decks yesterday morning when overhearing one guest all upset because he was adamant room service was an hour early and they woke home up.  Ummm someone forgot or didn’t listen to all the staff telling you about time change that happened. 

it’s my first TA and will do more in future as enjoying the sea days 

Nice summary, thank you!  Gald you are enjoying your first TA.  Did my first in 2022 on the Edge and am hooked.  Doing another on Eclipse in March, sea days are the best.  Enjoy your cruise!

Glad you’re having a lovely sailing. We’re embarking Silhouette in May for the Baltics cruise.  Glad to hear the entertainment is good and that the service we’ve come to appreciate is on point! Hope the remainder of your sailing continues to be smooth! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, buzz031 said:

Found it! Came from the Summit. 

When did he go to Silhouette from Summit? We just sailed Summit before then Silhouette TA and he wasn’t the Captain on Summit

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Purplsmurf said:

Summit before then Silhouette TA and he wasn’t the Captain on Summit

Probably had a cruise off between or maybe they bring them on one cruise before taking over? Or maybe he had time off?? He was on the Summit last summer.

Captain Kirk from Silhouette went MIA for one cruise before showing up on the Reflection. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by buzz031
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Josie201 said:

Thanks for the report.  We also love the Silly.  We were on in February, and will be bringing her back across the ocean in November - our first TA. 

Here’s the link to the Roll Call for your TA:    (The Days Countdown is obviously wrong but this link will get you there)

9 hours ago, raudacruise said:

Here’s the link to the Roll Call for your TA:    (The Days Countdown is obviously wrong but this link will get you there)

Yes thanks.  I am on it.  

• Like 1

Thanks for the update!

It will be our first time on the Silhouette (been on Solstice and Equinox), so it is good to hear that the sailing is going well. I guess we'll have Capt Smyth too for our July Norway cruise, unless he is on a break.

Also, great to hear folks enjoying TA trips.  We've looked at them over the years, and are just waiting for my retirement to enjoy one (or more) of them.  I find sea days to be quite "calming" with zero pressure to do anything but relax.  With port days, there's more of a get at it early mentality (rewarding in its own way), but from purely a slow down and decompress perspective, a TA cruise seems like a great way to just be pampered and enjoy.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, HopefulCruiser123 said:

Beautiful.  We will be stopping here on our TA next year on Equinox.  I hope we have pretty weather too.  Thank you for the review and pictures. 

I was worried a bit as I have read a few cruises have skipped the port because of weather.  He next few days I saw we’re going to be rain etc.  hope you get to visit the island as it’s a wonderful stop