Lost Luggage with Formal Wear

stan01

BA has the notorious distinction of being the only airline to ever have lost my luggage in decades of flying. 

Upon my return home I had to send letters and receipts to request compensation. Costs were far below the allowance provided as I was being quite frugal, given it was London. I wish I had just gone ahead and purchased what I needed instead of sticking to a tight budget. (Shopping for essentials during a vacation is not high on my list of things to do when I am on vacation.)

Having said that, United Airlines is the worst experience I have ever had flying First on a number of legs. I go out of my way to not ever fly with them again. 

Been there, done that. Transatlantic Crossing on QE2 in Queens Grill with no luggage. I had a little black dress, black ballet flats and my jewelry in my carry on and did a mad dash around John Lewis for essentials. I did buy one dress on board and other passengers loaned me clothes. Each night when I arrived at the table for dinner I would tell my table mates what I would have been wearing, had my luggage arrived. My laundry was expedited and free for the duration of the trip. If nothing else, I have a great story to tell, even all these years later and people who remember me always ask about my luggage when I see them for the first time on any trip.

• Like 3

On 5/10/2024 at 8:58 AM, *Miss G* said:

BA has the notorious distinction of being the only airline to ever have lost my luggage in decades of flying. 

Upon my return home I had to send letters and receipts to request compensation. Costs were far below the allowance provided as I was being quite frugal, given it was London. I wish I had just gone ahead and purchased what I needed instead of sticking to a tight budget. (Shopping for essentials during a vacation is not high on my list of things to do when I am on vacation.)

Having said that, United Airlines is the worst experience I have ever had flying First on a number of legs. I go out of my way to not ever fly with them again. 

I have just returned from the QV world cruise and BA managed to lose my bags in as much as they had not been loaded onto the flight to SFO. Fortunately I was staying in SFO and the luggage caught up with me the next day, before I boarded the flight to NZ. I must say BA could not have been more helpful and professional about getting the bags to me and the best advantage was that I didn't have to shlep the bags all around SFO which was worth quite a bit!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi all,

I'm overly paranoid about airlines losing luggage but, knock wood, thankfully it hasn't happened for years.  For some "essentials" it might be easy to replace but others (e.g. formal wear) not so much, plus I'm not sure if the airline would consider it essential either.  Therefore here are my tips:.

1 - Male "outfit" - Husband has a very expensive Italian dark suit.  With a nice dress shirt and bow tie it can pass for formal wear.  He wears the jacket on the plane and packs the pants in his carry-on (has a separate section for pants and dress shirts to hang/fold).  Therefore, in a pinch, he feels he will still fit in on formal nights if the rest of the luggage doesn't make it.

2 - Woman's outfit - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the designer name or not but there is a great Toronto, On, Canada designer that doesn't believe in anything else but a carry-on for traveling 🙂.  Therefore all of her outfits can be packed easily into a carry-on without wrinkling and can be worn multiple ways.  One of her long dresses is called a maxi bubble dress (which I know doesn't sound formal) but I have worn the black dress and the red dress (I have both and travel with both 🙂 ) on many formal occasions and always get compliments.  The dress can be worn multiple ways (at least 7) so on different nights people I've met are always amazed that it is the same dress.  For packing the material is amazing and I can pack it into a small packing cube with no issues and it goes into my carry-on. 

Therefore we have at least some "dressy" options in case the worse happens.

I'm not sure if I can post the link or the designer's name or not. 

Let me know if I can and I'm happy to share.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

As long as you're not the designer it's fine !

So the designer is Diane Kroe ( https://dianekroe.com/) and one of the dresses I always take with me is the Maxi Bubble Dress (which I can wear shorter if needed).  It was originally designed for warmer weather cruises and in patterns it will look quite casual.  However, I always have the black one with me which can be styled to look formal.

The material is very flowy (which I love) and the material has a nice sheen to it in black that makes it look elegant.  With a lovely shawl and great shoes & jewellery I can make it look quite dressy. 

She also has some other long dress options (again can be worn multiple ways and packed really tiny 🙂 that can be quite dressy (check out her Lame Goddess Dress).  Again can be packed in a small cube for your carry-on. 

I've been buying her pieces for decades and they last forever.  The material she uses is great.

If you are on her website go under "shop" and click on "dresses" under "By Category".

If it wasn't for needing other things I could probably get away with a Carry-on but on colder trips that isn't an option.

• Like 2

Seems ingenious but not my wife's style.

Since we can take enough luggage for her to have something different for twelve lunches and fourteen dinners, we'll just stick with twenty-six outfits. 🙂

Ideal if luggage is severely limited.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, ilv4cruising said:

So the designer is Diane Kroe ( https://dianekroe.com/) and one of the dresses I always take with me is the Maxi Bubble Dress (which I can wear shorter if needed).  It was originally designed for warmer weather cruises and in patterns it will look quite casual.  However, I always have the black one with me which can be styled to look formal.

The material is very flowy (which I love) and the material has a nice sheen to it in black that makes it look elegant.  With a lovely shawl and great shoes & jewellery I can make it look quite dressy. 

She also has some other long dress options (again can be worn multiple ways and packed really tiny 🙂 that can be quite dressy (check out her Lame Goddess Dress).  Again can be packed in a small cube for your carry-on. 

I've been buying her pieces for decades and they last forever.  The material she uses is great.

If you are on her website go under "shop" and click on "dresses" under "By Category".

If it wasn't for needing other things I could probably get away with a Carry-on but on colder trips that isn't an option.

You intrigued me when you first posted about the dress and after digging around with your supplied clues, I found her.  She has quite a few pieces that can be dressed up or down, and I especially like the Convertible Cami.  I sew and was already thinking of making myself a “formal capsule wardrobe” for our trip (back to back on QM2, three weeks total.). I think I might supplement what I’m making with some of her pieces.  I love that they can be dressed up or down.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, D&N said:

Seems ingenious but not my wife's style.

Since we can take enough luggage for her to have something different for twelve lunches and fourteen dinners, we'll just stick with twenty-six outfits. 🙂

Ideal if luggage is severely limited.

A lady after my own heart. I pack 2 dresses for every cruise day plus a couple of extras In case I have changed my mind regarding my original choices,  and two for travelling. Packing is very easy and split them over my cases. As I won’t wear them again I pack them away after I have worn them to save on packing last day. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, napria said:

You intrigued me when you first posted about the dress and after digging around with your supplied clues, I found her.  She has quite a few pieces that can be dressed up or down, and I especially like the Convertible Cami.  I sew and was already thinking of making myself a “formal capsule wardrobe” for our trip (back to back on QM2, three weeks total.). I think I might supplement what I’m making with some of her pieces.  I love that they can be dressed up or down.

Yes I totally agree.  All pieces are very versatile and lovely material. 

I would love to see what you put into your "formal capsule wardrobe" for you trip.  I always love some inspiration.

• Like 1

I am really grateful for learning about Diane Kroe.  (She seems to be a dressier version of a designer now in Maine who has similar convertible dresses, Roxi Sugar.)  Particularly as I've gotten stouter, I'm nervous about buying clothes online, especially when they're not easily returnable since hers are made-to-order, but I'm really tempted by the goddess dress.  

Thank you!

Just now, Tattycoram said:

I am really grateful for learning about Diane Kroe.  (She seems to be a dressier version of a designer now in Maine who has similar convertible dresses, Roxi Sugar.)  Particularly as I've gotten stouter, I'm nervous about buying clothes online, especially when they're not easily returnable since hers are made-to-order, but I'm really tempted by the goddess dress.  

Thank you!

I hear you, my body has also changed (especially post-menopause 😞 ).  She has a great team with all different body styles.  She has been in the business for a really long time.  I've personally been buying from her for over 25 years.  The material she uses is amazing and the clothes last forever.  My only "challenge" is my personal style changing over the years 🙂 .

I hear you about buying online but I know people from around the world that have been buying from her.  She tends to have online "trunk shows" about every 6 or so weeks.  A lot of people join but you can ask questions via the chat and you can get answers.  She has a plus size model and a lot of people buying from her that are different sizes.  They are great answering any question/concern you might have.

Also, feel free to message her on her site to ask any questions.  She or her team will be happy to help.

Enjoy.

• Thanks 1

Cruise Critics are a font of information!  A few weeks ago here I learned about an Australian designer (Camilla) whose very elegant silk caftans pack down small.  Too pricey for me, I'm afraid, but if I ever make it back to Australia I hope the trip coincides with one of her sales!

I was thinking of perhaps making myself a similar style dress if I can find a heavy enough weight of silk.  For this trip I'm going to need everything from Cunard wear, London wear, and walking-in-Ireland wear including hiking boots.  And my draconian family rule from which I am not exempt is one not-very-big suitcase per person.

Another restriction is that I like to have a pocketbook that's not too big (small wallet, book, maybe a travel umbrella and small wrap), otherwise my children and husband are always giving me their stuff to carry!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Tattycoram said:

Cruise Critics are a font of information!  A few weeks ago here I learned about an Australian designer (Camilla) whose very elegant silk caftans pack down small.  Too pricey for me, I'm afraid, but if I ever make it back to Australia I hope the trip coincides with one of her sales!

I was thinking of perhaps making myself a similar style dress if I can find a heavy enough weight of silk.  For this trip I'm going to need everything from Cunard wear, London wear, and walking-in-Ireland wear including hiking boots.  And my draconian family rule from which I am not exempt is one not-very-big suitcase per person.

Another restriction is that I like to have a pocketbook that's not too big (small wallet, book, maybe a travel umbrella and small wrap), otherwise my children and husband are always giving me their stuff to carry!

Well, I’m totally inspired now and I found an “infinity convertible dress” free pattern on the internet.  Not exactly the same but very similar, and very easy to make.  One thing though, I believe the dress needs to be made with a stretch fabric. 

As far as caftans go, they are super simple to sew! Not my style for a cruise, but I’ve made a caftan for the pool to wear here at home. 

• Like 1

"Well, I’m totally inspired now and I found an “infinity convertible dress” free pattern on the internet."

From Mood?  A favorite store of ours in Manhattan!  Although in fact most of their fabric is not on display but only available via the internet.

Even excluding their packing benefits, caftans are comfy.  I love wearing clothes that look relatively grownup and respectable, but in fact feel like pajamas or nightgowns (Eileen Fisher is a favorite of mine.). Not all caftan's are rectangular.  Camilla's caftans have an interesting drape, narrowing to the bottom.  I see some old pattens from Vogue have a similar silhouette.  Oscar de la Renta used to make Nancy Kissinger's near-operatic caftans--but she is 6 feet tall and thin, and her caftans give her an elegant and dramatic silhouette, whereas I might look more like a mushroom.

• Haha 1

I was so interested when it was mentioned that Diane Kroe had lovely travel clothes.  Visited the site but it is not for me. I would need to somehow grow 10 inches around my bust (yes, I know it can be done) for something to fit my big hips. Then there are no items for short people with small bust. Petite sizes (for short people) are very hard to find these days.

Interested to see what this bubble dress looks like, but could not find a way to search.

I will just keep looking for clothes that pack and fit well. I do have to learn how to pack lighter also.

• Like 1

Voilà:  the Bubble Dress

https://dianekroe.com/en-us/collections/bubble-dress

Diane Kroe's website says they make each garment to order and can customize (presumably things like length).  Reviews praise the knowledgeable customer service, so it's worth a call to see what could be done and if there are pictures of customers like you.

I've only just learned about them, but I'm intrigued!

14 hours ago, oceansandseas said:

I was so interested when it was mentioned that Diane Kroe had lovely travel clothes.  Visited the site but it is not for me. I would need to somehow grow 10 inches around my bust (yes, I know it can be done) for something to fit my big hips. Then there are no items for short people with small bust. Petite sizes (for short people) are very hard to find these days.

Interested to see what this bubble dress looks like, but could not find a way to search.

I will just keep looking for clothes that pack and fit well. I do have to learn how to pack lighter also.

Hi there,

I'm curious to know how short as I'm definitely not tall and have a very small bust and, sadly, hips.  However, most of her clothes fit me no problem.

To look at the Maxi Bubble dress, under the "shop" drop down you will see "Categories".  Click on the "dresses/skirt" group.

Scroll almost all the way down and you will see one in Red (ignore the ones in the patterns unless you want that look 🙂 ).

The solid coloured ones come in Red, Black, Navy and Wine. 

If you scroll down the page it will show you the various ways to wear it.

I'm posting a link (not sure if it is allowed though).  Convertible Bubble Maxi Dress | Diane Kroe

• Like 1

Thanks Ladies. Watched the trunk show and other videos. Very interesting. Diane said to order by bust size as there was lots of material in the dress. 

Ilv4cruising..5 foot.

Should look more carefully and then maybe give it a try and travel light with only one dress.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tattycoram said:

This board is perhaps wandering . . . but has anyone found a convertible dress with sleeves?

Not sure if this helps, Diane Kroe sells separate sleeves that can also be used as a belt. I love that option as for me I sometimes get that hot flash and like to remove them for a bit.

it is under “Accessories “ (and, no I don’t work for her 😀)

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, oceansandseas said:

Thanks Ladies. Watched the trunk show and other videos. Very interesting. Diane said to order by bust size as there was lots of material in the dress. 

Ilv4cruising..5 foot.

Should look more carefully and then maybe give it a try and travel light with only one dress.. 

I’m 5’4” and for the bubble dress that is what I do. If you get the separate sleeves it adds to the versatility. 

also, any questions you have, use the chat feature, she will be happy to answer and guide you. 

You might want to confirm the length. Not sure if you wear flats or heels. If it is too long you can ask if it can be shorter but confirm how to do that in the order through the chat   

11 hours ago, ilv4cruising said:

I’m 5’4” and for the bubble dress that is what I do. If you get the separate sleeves it adds to the versatility. 

also, any questions you have, use the chat feature, she will be happy to answer and guide you. 

You might want to confirm the length. Not sure if you wear flats or heels. If it is too long you can ask if it can be shorter but confirm how to do that in the order through the chat   

I should add that it is best to let them adjust the length for you.  That way they will adjust the hidden snaps as well so you can still style it multiple ways.  If you do it you might lose the functionality of the lower snaps.

• Like 1