Norweigan Fjords. Only E class?

Posted (edited)

OK.  I see Eclipse now for 2025.  I don't do short 7 day cruises though ...

Skipping May and September looking at June,July, and August ...

Edited by NMTraveller

We cruised Celebrity on Apex to Amsterdam then went to Norway.

But not on Celebrity!  Cruised to Norway on HAL.  The reason is simple.   It takes a day and a half to get to Bergen.  A 7 day cruise thus leaves only time for 3 ports in southern Norway.  For the same $$ HAL - last year - offered 14 days and 8 ports.  The experiences of the additional ports and seeing the high arctic was exceptional. 

As for HAL.  It was simply put OK.  The food good.  The buffet OK.  Entertainment no contest as Celebrity much better.

But for experiencing Norway.  Absolutely not close.  Look for a 14 day cruise to Norway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

OK.  Has anyone done a Princess Norwegian Fjords cruise?  It is looking like HAL vs Princess right now.

Just Celebrity  and HAL to Norway.  The key is getting to smaller ports and more of them.  If Princess does 14 days then flip a coin.  Both very similar

I'm booked on the Apex for May 2025 sailing from Southampton.  Its a 7 day that includes Flam and Geirangerfjord - two that I definitely wanted to see as they will be limiting access to these in 2026.  Flam - railway was a must for hubby.  Flying over to London for 3 nights, then 1 night in Southampton and 1 more night in London at the end so 7 day cruise works out best for us.  Did the same this year for a Spain/France cruise out of Southampton with Princess.  Like that there is a sea day the first day as we were extremely busy in London so was nice to rest for a couple of days on the ship.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

OK.  Has anyone done a Princess Norwegian Fjords cruise?  It is looking like HAL vs Princess right now.

We sailed Sky Princess out of Southampton 14 nights to Norway, loved it.

We sail both Celebrity and Princess most often they are mostly similar. Lately there have been a few comparison threads that can inform on the differences. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

Any more ideas on a Norway fjords cruise?

I'm looking at Celebrity Apex Nowegian Fjords and Arctic Circle 14 days Aug 2025. It goes back and forth from southampton. I like all of the ports, but can't find any information on available excursions .. itinerary or cost .. An infinite veranda ends up around 4K pp plus air. Celebrity has been our recent go to, so pretty much know what to expect

I also looked at Silversea $$. Out of Hamburg, returning Tromso. The explain the excursions, but not pricing for optionals. Also, recent reviews have not been positive. have never taken them

Was surprised that Viking offers very little in terms of Norway . (go figure?) .. We took our first (and last) river cruise w them for Christmas market Danube. understand their ocean is better.. but dont see anything compelling ..

Welcome thoughts

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Way to early for shore excursions to be listed.  On our HAL and X cruises to Norway had additions and some deletions even after we sailed.

We ended up.doing 4 private tours and Flam Railway thru cruiseline.

Edited by Arizona Wildcat

We also are looking at Norway in 2025 and prefer the longer cruises. Thing is, we much prefer S-class or M-class ships since they have real balconies. It appears we're out of luck and will be on Apex, unless we abandon Celebrity, the only cruise line we've ever used. Apparently it's time to start shopping around.

24 minutes ago, indy406 said:

We also are looking at Norway in 2025 and prefer the longer cruises. Thing is, we much prefer S-class or M-class ships since they have real balconies. It appears we're out of luck and will be on Apex, unless we abandon Celebrity, the only cruise line we've ever used. Apparently it's time to start shopping around.

Not a fan of E class myself…

I am looking elsewhere.

On 5/4/2024 at 3:46 PM, valuemkt said:

I like all of the ports, but can't find any information on available excursions .. itinerary or cost

I'm already booked on that cruise and there aren't many excursions up just yet. There are a few in a few ports, but many ports without any. Norway is spendy, I hear, and the excursions seem to bear that out. Costs are around $250pp for most of what's up, with some costing more, at least though X. We're about to head to (equally expensive, it seems) Alaska so I'm largely focused on those plans right now, but when we return it'll be time to dig into Norway.

On 5/3/2024 at 9:04 PM, NMTraveller said:

If you really want Fjords fly direct to Bergen and take the 12 night Classic Round-trip on Hurtigruten - 22 ports, right up to the North Cape - no need to take the more expensive Exoedition Cruise. You visit Fjords that lines like X, HAL, Princess etc can only dream of. Great local food served on the ship. Excellent viewing areas. Wide range of tours - don't miss the exclusive night concert in the Arctic Cathedral. Not your classic cruise but a true adventure. All the ports you stop at in the day going North you stop at in the night coming back and v.v. 

We went over Christmas and New Year. Also been on X and Royal both good in their way but no comparison with the Hurtigruten experience ( we have also been to the Antarctic with H hence our CC name).

We wanted a fortnight Artic Circle Norway cruise this year. Princess about £1k less and 2 extra nights in comparison with the Apex. Off on the Sky Princess next month. I imagine the Silhouette would have been similar price if she had not been replaced by the Apex.

We have done several X but only one Princess cruise. Like them both. Never been on E class but will be trying the Ascent in the Med in September.

We have become itinerary based cruisers. Sailed Royal, P&O, Oceania, Marella, Princess. Enjoyed them all but X is our go to if price and itinerary is the same. Trying Azamara for South Africa. 

22 hours ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

Way to early for shore excursions to be listed.  On our HAL and X cruises to Norway had additions and some deletions even after we sailed.

We ended up.doing 4 private tours and Flam Railway thru cruiseline.

Could you share who you used for private tours?  Thank you!

On 5/3/2024 at 4:04 PM, NMTraveller said:

They have boards to check…FYI