Finest Cuisine at Sea

1 hour ago, Yesimapirate said:

I'd suggest you immediately disqualify the comment.

I'd never be dismissive of someone else's opinion on the food they've eaten. 

• Like 1

Re: lobster

I've been reading for some time about he disappointment of some with the lobster preparation. Granted, the lobsters are frozen, and while they'll never be as sweet as a live new-shell lobster at a Maine lobster pound, the quality is pretty good.

It's all about the preparation. My wife ordered the surf and turf, and another night the steamed lobster, both at Polo, and I twice had grilled lobster tail at the Terrace. On all occasions we asked "please don't overcook the lobster", and they always came out perfectly, even the Florida lobster tails, which are notoriously easy to overcook.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Harters said:

I'd never be dismissive of someone else's opinion on the food they've eaten. 

The famous (?) Latin quote "De gustibus non est disputandum" applies here.  If arguing about which food is "good" or "bad" was around in ancient times, we can be sure it will continue now on this board and forever in infinity.  "Best Cuisine at Sea" is a marketing tool.  If it gets people to book, then it's working.   What I personally think about any given dish is a different discussion.

(Roughly translated:  "About taste there can be no dispute.")  Can we get back to people's favorites now?  I'm making a list for my next cruise.

Edited by Kay S
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Yesimapirate said:

If you're looking for fine dining or authentic food with a menu that changes daily, maybe that local ethnic restaurant is more appropriate.

That's what we like to do. 'Google is my friend.' I can find places anywhere. Even found the "best soup in the world" according to Bourdain in Hue, Vietnam. LOL Side streets are also a great friend 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, clo said:

That's what we like to do. 'Google is my friend.' I can find places anywhere. Even found the "best soup in the world" according to Bourdain in Hue, Vietnam. LOL Side streets are also a great friend 🙂

I agree 100%, look around enjoy the city you are in--not only do you get good food, but a bonus--you get to people watch and sometimes if you're lucky you'll get to talk to them.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

sometimes if you're lucky you'll get to talk to them.

Absolutely. And English is spoken, better than most Americans speak other languages, pretty regularly. Especially young people.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

I agree 100%, look around enjoy the city you are in--not only do you get good food, but a bonus--you get to people watch and sometimes if you're lucky you'll get to talk to them.

One of the biggest joys in travel. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, clo said:

Absolutely. And English is spoken, better than most Americans speak other languages, pretty regularly. Especially young people.

True story...Once in Germany I needed a little help and tried to speak German to someone, he asked me if I Spoke English.  Of course I did, he told we could communicate better and he could help me.  Sad to say he was German--I was a little embarrassed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

To reiterate the subject, we are currently on a driving trip (post O cruise) through Slovenia and Austria, before we drive back into Italy.    DW and I do not speak more than a few words in either language, but this is not an issue.  Everywhere we have gone (Lake Bled, Graz, Salzburg, and now Innsbruck), most speak some English or are completely fluent.  As independent travelers, we routinely enjoy interacting with locals, which is where we learn lots of valuable info.  Just yesterday, we stopped in a nearby wine bar for a late afternoon rest (and relaxation).  We asked the two ladies, running the place, to recommend some decent Italian restaurants and quickly had two strong suggestions on an upscale pizza place and a higher end Italian restaurant.  Last evening we went to the pizza place which was owned and operated by a couple of Sicilian gentlemen.  The pizza was some of the best we have had anywhere (and that is saying a lot).  

I do think that many fellow cruisers get into the "Excursion mode" where they primarily do things with large groups of cruisers.  While this does have some advantages, it does mean you go to tourist places and mostly interact with fellow cruisers and guides.  In our experience, it is a lousy way to get the true feel/flavor os a city or site.  Yes, you do get plenty of history, some tales, etc. but it is not quite the same as being by yourselves or in a tiny group and taking advantage of the opportunity to meet locals.  In our experience, many folks are more then happy to share their knowledge (and favorite places) with visitors who smile, show some respect, and are curious.

Hank

• Like 6

On 5/6/2024 at 8:15 PM, Vineyard View said:

I am reading a lot about the lack of spices….control from Miami…..no opportunities to choose local produce/proteins from local ports…..pretty disappointing to read.  
Where/on whom, do you recommend that people look to sail to avoid the No no’s?  I am not being snarky, but honestly curious. 

While I'm probably the least qualified to answer this from a cruise perspective, I'd guess the answer is just to eat in port as much as possible. And for that, you want a cruise line with later departures (such as Azamara tends to have) rather than earlier, though it may be difficult to fit in a dinner even with a 9-10PM departure.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

To reiterate the subject, we are currently on a driving trip (post O cruise) through Slovenia and Austria, before we drive back into Italy.    DW and I do not speak more than a few words in either language, but this is not an issue.  Everywhere we have gone (Lake Bled, Graz, Salzburg, and now Innsbruck), most speak some English or are completely fluent.  As independent travelers, we routinely enjoy interacting with locals, which is where we learn lots of valuable info.  Just yesterday, we stopped in a nearby wine bar for a late afternoon rest (and relaxation).  We asked the two ladies, running the place, to recommend some decent Italian restaurants and quickly had two strong suggestions on an upscale pizza place and a higher end Italian restaurant.  Last evening we went to the pizza place which was owned and operated by a couple of Sicilian gentlemen.  The pizza was some of the best we have had anywhere (and that is saying a lot).  

I do think that many fellow cruisers get into the "Excursion mode" where they primarily do things with large groups of cruisers.  While this does have some advantages, it does mean you go to tourist places and mostly interact with fellow cruisers and guides.  In our experience, it is a lousy way to get the true feel/flavor os a city or site.  Yes, you do get plenty of history, some tales, etc. but it is not quite the same as being by yourselves or in a tiny group and taking advantage of the opportunity to meet locals.  In our experience, many folks are more then happy to share their knowledge (and favorite places) with visitors who smile, show some respect, and are curious.

Hank

Some people just want to go on a vacation and be pampered and not have to think about it.

• Like 1

We have really embraced the "no no" term and think it is right on!  Where to avoid the no-no?  Having been on 18 cruise lines (#19 coming up late this year) we can think of no line that ignores the no-no's except, perhaps, the Explora Journeys folks.  That being said, they are a new line (with very deep pockets) who will likely learn as they go and may well bow to the "no no pressure."  I doubt if a ghost pepper will ever find its way onto a cruise ship (unless smuggled by a passenger).  And basic things like garlic, onions, and oregano seem to be more and more underused.  I could not help but notice that pizza in Waves, is made without oregano (unless it is specifically requested).  In Italy, it would considered an essential ingredient.  

Hank

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We have really embraced the "no no" term and think it is right on!  Where to avoid the no-no?  Having been on 18 cruise lines (#19 coming up late this year) we can think of no line that ignores the no-no's except, perhaps, the Explora Journeys folks.  That being said, they are a new line (with very deep pockets) who will likely learn as they go and may well bow to the "no no pressure."  I doubt if a ghost pepper will ever find its way onto a cruise ship (unless smuggled by a passenger).  And basic things like garlic, onions, and oregano seem to be more and more underused.  I could not help but notice that pizza in Waves, is made without oregano (unless it is specifically requested).  In Italy, it would considered an essential ingredient.  

Hank

Don’t forget the Waves Marguerite pizza without a hint of basil! That’s like a cheeseburger without the cheese. It’s not really a cheeseburger and it’s not really the pizza as advertised.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Don’t forget the Waves Marguerite pizza without a hint of basil!

How can you have a Margherita without basil? It's one of the three colours which,  so the story goes, represent the colours of the Italian flag (along with the red of tomato and white mozzarella) that make up the pizza. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ronrick1943 said:

True story...Once in Germany I needed a little help and tried to speak German to someone, he asked me if I Spoke English.  Of course I did, he told we could communicate better and he could help me.  Sad to say he was German--I was a little embarrassed.

I was in Barcelona where Catalan is frequently spoken. I speak a little Spanish but no Catalan. I was looking for a particular place and approached a young man and asked "Habla Ingles?" He replied "How may I help you?" A fun travel memory.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, JYDCruise said:

While I'm probably the least qualified to answer this from a cruise perspective, I'd guess the answer is just to eat in port as much as possible. And for that, you want a cruise line with later departures (such as Azamara tends to have) rather than earlier, though it may be difficult to fit in a dinner even with a 9-10PM departure.

We always eat in port. On our own 99% of the time (no excursions). For us, that is pretty non-negotiable. A must do part of the experience….I have noticed a couple of lines we have sailed taking on fresh produce, local wines, different ingredients to be used on board. Not sure why  the “nono’s” can just say no to the spices and let others enjoy a recipe as it was intended to be. Or….offer a little of both…..meals without herbs/spices in one section, and another that offers more authenticity…..I know, it wouldn’t stay that simple. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Vineyard View said:

We always eat in port. On our own 99% of the time (no excursions). For us, that is pretty non-negotiable. A must do part of the experience….I have noticed a couple of lines we have sailed taking on fresh produce, local wines, different ingredients to be used on board. Not sure why  the “nono’s” can just say no to the spices and let others enjoy a recipe as it was intended to be. Or….offer a little of both…..meals without herbs/spices in one section, and another that offers more authenticity…..I know, it wouldn’t stay that simple. 

We're not a Hospital at Sea, one would think food is part of the cruise (we go off ship also to eat and just people watch.  Even the airlines have dishes with spice--even jalapeño on an egg dish on United.  "O" needs to wake up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, clo said:

I was in Barcelona where Catalan is frequently spoken.

Catalan is the local language in Barcelona. Spanish (Castilian) is their second language. In the Balearic islands, they speak a dialect of Catalan - my partner's sister lived on Mallorca for many years,  early in her marriage. She's fluent in Spanish and has workable Catalan. It was (and may still be) a requirement that children at secondary schools learn English and reach a certain level of competence. She offered private coaching to students in conversational English. 

The use of Catalan was suppressed under the dictatorship so its probably no surprise that it is fiercely protected. I'm sure it forms part of the political movement for Catalonia to become independent from the rest of Spain 

Edited by Harters
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Harters said:

Catalan is the local language in Barcelona. Spanish (Castilian) is their second language. In the Balearic islands, they speak a dialect of Catalan - my partner's sister lived on Mallorca for many years,  early in her marriage. She's fluent in Spanish and has workable Catalan. It was (and may still be) a requirement that children at secondary schools learn English and reach a certain level of competence. She offered private coaching to students in conversational English. 

The use of Catalan was suppressed under the dictatorship so its probably no surprise that it is fiercely protected. I'm sure it forms part of the political movement for Catalonia to become independent from the rest of Spain 

Thanks for the education. Interesting. And I could live there for the food 🙂

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

For some levity:

Paul McCartney and confusion about Margherita

https://ardbegembassy.se/meny/middag/

Liam Gallagher is one of brothers who front Oasis and top long time British rock band.

Unless I'm completely missing it that link has nothing to do with what you mentioned. 

• Like 1

On 5/7/2024 at 5:26 AM, Yesimapirate said:

try a different line until you find one that makes you happy.   

Or don't cruise.

• Like 1