carrying CPAP on land portion of an Alaskan Cruise/Tour?

We're looking at a Princess land first then cruise Alaska tour.   In reading the luggage details, each person is allowed ONE handheld item onto the tour bus with them.    Is the CPAP machine that one item?

What have other CPAP users done?

Thanks,

Mary

I do not believe that they are included in your one carry on and can be carried on separately. I know I read this somewhere but cannot find it. I will keep looking. 

Kim

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, VikingRob said:

I do not believe that they are included in your one carry on and can be carried on separately. I know I read this somewhere but cannot find it. I will keep looking. 

Kim

I am hoping this is the case.   I had no luck searching, but maybe didn't look hard enough on the Princess website.     Otherwise, we're trying to figure out how to make this work.

Thanks!

Mary

A CPAP is considered a medical device and can be carried on a bus. The problem will be…where to store it.  Some busses will have overhead compartments. Others may not.

I purchased a chamber block so that I could use my CPAP without the water chamber/water.  If you are coming off a cruise, you could bring the left over distilled water with you.  I would transfer it to a water tight container.  

• Thanks 1

No problem taking the CPAP in addition to the one published item.  We keep our CPAPs in rolling backpacks.  If we carry them on the bus we can always find an empty seat for them.  But in our experience the bus drivers typically offer to open the chamber on the bottom of the bus for those and other larger bags that folks carry on.  Your luggage travels separately so there is always a lot of room on the buses.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, azbirdmom said:

No problem taking the CPAP in addition to the one published item.  We keep our CPAPs in rolling backpacks.  If we carry them on the bus we can always find an empty seat for them.  But in our experience the bus drivers typically offer to open the chamber on the bottom of the bus for those and other larger bags that folks carry on.  Your luggage travels separately so there is always a lot of room on the buses.

oh, perfect!!

Thanks very much 🙂

Mary

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

A CPAP is considered a medical device and can be carried on a bus. The problem will be…where to store it.  Some busses will have overhead compartments. Others may not.

I purchased a chamber block so that I could use my CPAP without the water chamber/water.  If you are coming off a cruise, you could bring the left over distilled water with you.  I would transfer it to a water tight container.  

We were able to get distilled water at all of the Princess Lodges we stayed at. If I remember right it came in glasses with Saran Wrap over the top. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mark_K said:

We were able to get distilled water at all of the Princess Lodges we stayed at. If I remember right it came in glasses with Saran Wrap over the top. 

That's interesting.  I didn't have a CPAP when I did the land tour many years ago.  

I have "researched" options.  Found out that Reverse Osmosis is the closest to distilled water.  Then bottled water.  I would not venture to use tap water for my machine.  

I am sure @JF - retired RRT would chime in on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark_K said:

Yes, that's what we got too.

• Like 1

We are leaving in 2 weeks for an Alaska cruise tour. My husband has a cpap and likes to bring it in a small rolling suitcase. I was wondering the same thing. Especially wondering about the train portion. Hope it won't be a problem!

19 minutes ago, con3 said:

We are leaving in 2 weeks for an Alaska cruise tour. My husband has a cpap and likes to bring it in a small rolling suitcase. I was wondering the same thing. Especially wondering about the train portion. Hope it won't be a problem!

Would really appreciate your feedback after your trip.  

enjoy!

Mary

10 minutes ago, Mary loves to travel said:

Would really appreciate your feedback after your trip.  

enjoy!

Mary

Will try and remember to come back and let you know!!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

That's interesting.  I didn't have a CPAP when I did the land tour many years ago.  

I have "researched" options.  Found out that Reverse Osmosis is the closest to distilled water.  Then bottled water.  I would not venture to use tap water for my machine.  

I am sure @JF - retired RRT would chime in on this.

Sure...tap water is OK for short periods of time (like a cruise). The problem with tap water is the minerals (and some bottled water may have this issue). If you use tap water (BTW: the tap water on the ship is perfectly fine), when you get home, just do a thorough clean/soak with 1 part water to 3 or 4 parts white vinegar.

Years ago, I had a patient who went on a cruise and didn't know water was available for his CPAP. He went without and got REALLY dry mucous membranes as a result...don't do that. If you need humidification, you need it. DH uses CPAP without water and does better than with.

BTW: he bought a Z2 Auto from Breas for travel. It's really, really small (maybe weighs 2 pounds). It would fit in a purse or backpack easily. It comes with a "French nose" for those who need humidification.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2024 at 3:05 PM, cr8tiv1 said:

I would not venture to use tap water for my machine.  

@JF - retired RRT

Have used a CPAP for over 20 years and the overwhelming majority of the time have used tap water in my water chamber with no problems.  Occasionally need to scrub out the chamber with an old toothbrush.

On 5/5/2024 at 11:39 AM, Mary loves to travel said:

We're looking at a Princess land first then cruise Alaska tour.   In reading the luggage details, each person is allowed ONE handheld item onto the tour bus with them.    Is the CPAP machine that one item?

What have other CPAP users done?

Thanks,

Mary

CPAP is considered medical equipment & not included in the hand held item category. Hopefully you have a battery back up not all transports have sockets.

42 minutes ago, rbtan said:

CPAP is considered medical equipment & not included in the hand held item category. Hopefully you have a battery back up not all transports have sockets.

thanks.    DH only uses it at night; so should be able to just plug it in while at the lodges.

• Like 1