QM2 short cruise

Deafcruise

Hi all,

We are finally going on QM2 for the very first time this Sunday to Hamburg. We staying in QG (Penthouse)

As it is out first time ever cruising, Any advice or things that regular Cunard goers know that others may not know.

What we are not to miss out on in QG? I remember there were several recommendations on foods, could not remember what they were but need to look them up.

Really looking forward experiencing the Cunard magic 🙂

We will be sailing on Disney Wish this August be interesting to compare the different.

Have Afternoon Tea in the Grills Lounge vs the Queens Room. On your next longer voyage, you can check out Tea in the Queens Room. 
Also, tell the Concierge on Deck 9 that this is your first Cunard voyage and ask for all the benefits you get onboard on QG. The concierge is very helpful. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, NE John said:

Have Afternoon Tea in the Grills Lounge vs the Queens Room. On your next longer voyage, you can check out Tea in the Queens Room. 
Also, tell the Concierge on Deck 9 that this is your first Cunard voyage and ask for all the benefits you get onboard on QG. The concierge is very helpful. 

I would say tea in the Queens Room, although it is likely to be crowded. It's more of an "experience" than the Grills Lounge. Get there early to beat the crowd!

Isn't the concierge in the Grills Lounge on 7 on QM2?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I would say tea in the Queens Room, although it is likely to be crowded. It's more of an "experience" than the Grills Lounge. Get there early to beat the crowd!

Isn't the concierge in the Grills Lounge on 7 on QM2?

No Deck 9, in among all the Q5s and 6s, and a most depressing space it is.

Totally agree about tea. The Grills Lounge on QM2 is fairly miserable as well. Queens Room much more impressive, and there is music.

5 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

No Deck 9, in among all the Q5s and 6s, and a most depressing space it is.

Totally agree about tea. The Grills Lounge on QM2 is fairly miserable as well. Queens Room much more impressive, and there is music.

It's a lot of years since I was in PG on QM2, but now I remember it. Rather a sad space. 

• Like 1

Yes, the QR Tea production is impressive but I like the loose tea served with nicer nibbles in the Grills lounge along with the more personal service. I actually do like the calmness of Tea at the Grills lounge over the more energetic QR. 

At least our OP @Deafcruise heard two sides of the Afternoon Tea service. 

• Like 2

One minor souvenir / practicality to consider.

In the Grills they offer to print up some personalised headed stationary to a set of Cunard writing paper. About a dozen sheets I think. Firstly on the short sailings you best get that organised earlier on departure day, to have a chance of getting them before Hamburg. Secondly, you are given a free hand on how to describe yourself, so it could be

Mr. and Mrs. Deafrcruiser

Suite nnnnn

RMS Queen Mary 2 en route to Hamburg

.... and various variations. So to save time you may want to think about how you want it done.

Then you also have only a short time to compose your brag letters!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Pushpit said:

One minor souvenir / practicality to consider.

In the Grills they offer to print up some personalised headed stationary to a set of Cunard writing paper. About a dozen sheets I think. Firstly on the short sailings you best get that organised earlier on departure day, to have a chance of getting them before Hamburg. Secondly, you are given a free hand on how to describe yourself, so it could be

Mr. and Mrs. Deafrcruiser

Suite nnnnn

RMS Queen Mary 2 en route to Hamburg

.... and various variations. So to save time you may want to think about how you want it done.

Then you also have only a short time to compose your brag letters!

I hope it hasn’t been abandoned in line with the alleged modernity of the new ship. After all, modern people don’t write letters, do they? They text.

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I hope it hasn’t been abandoned in line with the alleged modernity of the new ship. After all, modern people don’t write letters, do they? They text.

For QA I have no idea if this is still offered. But the OP here was asking about QM2 and I know it is still a feature of the other 3 ships. It's 10 writing sheets incidentally, and a few envelopes.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Pushpit said:

For QA I have no idea if this is still offered. But the OP here was asking about QM2 and I know it is still a feature of the other 3 ships. It's 10 writing sheets incidentally, and a few envelopes.

Yes, sorry, of course s/he was. And indeed it is, and very useful too.

IMHO, the Grill's Lounge (cocktail bar) is the most boring bar on the ship. To be honest, our hospital waiting area is more interesting. I was hoping for an upgrade after the QM2's last refit.

Guess not.....sigh....

If you only have a short time, I'd stick my head in to see it, and then head to the Commodore, the Chart room, even the pub for more animation..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mudhen said:

IMHO, the Grill's Lounge (cocktail bar) is the most boring bar on the ship. To be honest, our hospital waiting area is more interesting. I was hoping for an upgrade after the QM2's last refit.

Guess not.....sigh....

If you only have a short time, I'd stick my head in to see it, and then head to the Commodore, the Chart room, even the pub for more animation..

Is that your verdict after the Christmas cruise?

We don't plan to sail in grills, but all the reviews here and on YT that I've read or watched seemed to think the freshening up it got in November was an improvement.

The Chart Room is our favourite lounge for drinks, tea and coffee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, D&N said:

We don't plan to sail in grills, but all the reviews here and on YT that I've read or watched seemed to think the freshening up it got in November was an improvement.

It certainly goes towards explaining why US healthcare is so expensive. 😀

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, D&N said:

If there was "freshening" in the grill's bar, I must've missed it....

What's in there isn't bad, per se, just old and boring. We've cruised the QM2 a lot and enjoy the ship, I just wished they could've gotten away from the black&white photo prints that've been there forever.....

23 hours ago, NE John said:

I much preferred the Queens Room for tea. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mudhen said:

Guess not.....sigh....

Agree - Grills Lounge is really quite dull, though VLogs report that it has been refurbished somewhat

On 5/6/2024 at 1:37 PM, Deafcruise said:

Hi all,

We are finally going on QM2 for the very first time this Sunday to Hamburg. We staying in QG (Penthouse)

As it is out first time ever cruising, Any advice or things that regular Cunard goers know that others may not know.

What we are not to miss out on in QG? I remember there were several recommendations on foods, could not remember what they were but need to look them up.

We will be sailing on Disney Wish this August be interesting to compare the different.

The food recommendations are probably the a la carte options that you need to pre-order at Breakfast or Lunch. Dover Sole, Lobster Thermador, Beef Wellington, Rack of Lab, and others... for a short cruise not sure I'd bother with the Steakhouse (extra cost)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, buchanan101 said:

Agree - Grills Lounge is really quite dull, though VLogs report that it has been refurbished somewhat

I’m starting to think that I may like dull and boring…!!  For the past 30 years, I’ve commuted to NYC for over an hour each way and work in a crazed industry so maybe hanging out in a quiet space where the staff remember who we are and really seem to care about our satisfaction is near the the top of my list of travel requirements. I feel blessed that I can travel on the Grills level on any Cunard ship.
But I do like the QR Tea too. You are correct, there is no comparison between the two venues.  However, my main point was to mention to the OP to try Tea in the Grills lounge since they’re on a short trip via Grills. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NE John said:

I’m starting to think that I may like dull and boring…!!  For the past 30 years, I’ve commuted to NYC for over an hour each way and work in a crazed industry so maybe hanging out in a quiet space where the staff remember who we are and really seem to care about our satisfaction is near the the top of my list of travel requirements. I feel blessed that I can travel on the Grills level on any Cunard ship.
But I do like the QR Tea too. You are correct, there is no comparison between the two venues.  However, my main point was to mention to the OP to try Tea in the Grills lounge since they’re on a short trip via Grills. 

True, the OP can do both and compare. Need to get to QR early (we liked a seat by the windows to watch the sea go by feet below)

• Like 2

Thank you all for. Your advices…. 

Definitely will be ordering beef wellington just hope they don’t use foie gras. I also recall something about eggs for breakfast? Cannot remember what it was. I need to read back!

Just now, Deafcruise said:

Definitely will be ordering beef wellington just hope they don’t use foie gras. I also recall something about eggs for breakfast? Cannot remember what it was. I need to read back!

Can have just about anything you want for breakfast. The menus are huge, and you can order off menu.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NE John said:

I have read the Grills lounge on QV is boringly dull in atmosphere and 'buzz' of an evening after dinner. Suits us. Sometimes, a quiet drink to round off the day is just perfect. Staff who, as you say look after us [and who know how I like my L.I.I.T] is so important and so, as the oft used phrase goes...each to their own!🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/6/2024 at 8:37 AM, Deafcruise said:

Hi all,

Your butler will deliver a plate of cold canapés to your room shortly before dinner.  You can ask for hot ones instead.  A nice accompaniment to your complimentary champagne.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Deafcruise said:

Don’t forget to report back on your thoughts and what you did onboard.