Cunard Chefs and other cooks coming into the Britannia Dining Room

Felyfrog85

On the QV world cruise the chefs came in to Britannia most nights for a walk round and chatted with you. It was all grades of chef

On 5/6/2024 at 1:40 PM, Host Hattie said:

Usually the last formal night

Has this changed since open dining was introduced? On our crossings last summer on QM2 there was no parade coming or going. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thaxted said:

Has this changed since open dining was introduced? On our crossings last summer on QM2 there was no parade coming or going. 

We have not seen since our 2022 sailing. Not known before then. Quite some time.

• Like 1

I read somewhere that the practice of a room full of hundreds of diners twirling post-meal used napkins is frowned upon in these high-alert sanitary days. Maybe that’s a reason why these chefs’ parades have disappeared. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NE John said:

I read somewhere that the practice of a room full of hundreds of diners twirling post-meal used napkins is frowned upon in these high-alert sanitary days. Maybe that’s a reason why these chefs’ parades have disappeared. 

Good. The passenger clapping and twirling of used napkins, of the chefs as they 'marched around the restaurant on HAL to the Radetzky March was always a low light of the final dinner. I didn't realise it still happened on Cunard as the only time we ever saw a chef was if the M'd hauled the Executive Chef up for a table chat and that didn't happen very often.

• Like 6

We were on the QV world cruise and really liked the fact that the kitchen brigade wandered around the dining room (Britannia, late seating) chatting to diners on several evenings. They went round in twos and threes and stopped at most tables for a few moments. Really nice, and much more personal than the chefs parade. And an opportunity to say thank you.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, NE John said:

4 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Good. The passenger clapping and twirling of used napkins, of the chefs as they 'marched around the restaurant on HAL to the Radetzky March was always a low light of the final dinner. I didn't realise it still happened on Cunard as the only time we ever saw a chef was if the M'd hauled the Executive Chef up for a table chat and that didn't happen very often.

I have always thought the napkin twirling was disgusting. I don't mind the parade and the applause, but flinging about whatever bits may have fallen into one's lap is horrible.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2024 at 3:00 PM, Felyfrog85 said:

On what night does the Cunard Chef and cooks walk into the Britannia Main Dining Room ? Is it the first night or on Gala nights ?

The Chef's parade in the Britannia restaurant  no longer takes place since the introduction of the 'Open Dining' concept  

Previously when dining was either early or late "Fixed Dining" the parade would take place twice usually on the final formal evening.

Since the pandemic things have greatly changed in the Britannia main dining room .

eg no longer the Captains table ( or officers hosted tables)  with invited guests . 

Edited to add; 

I have just disembarked from Queen Anne where the 'executive chef' visited the Britannia Club restaurant. Briefly stopping at a few tables to interact with a few guests.  

Edited by Bell Boy
  • Thanks 1