Where are all the "regular folks"?

9 hours ago, no1talks said:

"Jack, I want you to draw me like one of your Bella Guarantee girls."
- Rose DeWitt Bukater

Laughing so hard right now!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

"Waiter could take an order, but kitchen could not deliver an order with no salt all week."

Fortunately, we have no dietary restrictions requiring, as you say, repeated explanation to a dining room server. 

If we did, I would add such a necessity to the printed requests we prepare for each cruise.

In the case of YC, both butlers, the maître d' & assistant, the sommelier, both server teams (breakfast and dinner), and the concierge desk receive the printed requests applicable to their specific billets before the first dinner.

Of course, the most comprehensive research and preparation can still fail to prevent miscues. Cruises, regardless of the line or ship, whether they cost three, four, or five figures per week, can have disappointments.

Incorrectly provisioned.

Inadequately staffed.

Marginal entertainment.

The list of things that can be less-than-ideal on a cruise is indeed long.

Regardless of the most thorough preparations, any cruise can go a little (or a lot) sideways. Ultimately, we all are playing the percentages.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, no1talks said:

I'm a traditionalist and only consider a bathroom to be full if it has both tub & shower with the sink and toilet.

Of course, other traditionalists might correctly point out that "three-quarters" more correctly describes the lower bathroom of a YC duplex suite. I would agree, but still not use the term for two reasons:

• The use of "three-quarters" in the description of a bathroom leaves open the question of whether the tub or shower is omitted.

• A good many people would scratch their heads over the unfamiliar use of "three-quarters" bathroom.

So, I use one-and-a-half baths colloquially to convey a meaning of one bathroom being full and the other less-than.

I haven’t used a tub since I was 6 or so…we just ripped out two of them in my casa for nice large showers..

29 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

I haven’t used a tub since I was 6 or so…we just ripped out two of them in my casa for nice large showers..

Ah, but one should never underestimate the motivational power within the simple gesture of arranging a surprise, scented bubble bath for one's significant other. (Especially when including a favored adult beverage.) 😉

• Like 3

On 5/8/2024 at 10:48 AM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

We are sailing MSC for the first time in a few days, so I have been stalking the MSC boards for months.  It has been a terrific source of information, and I am grateful.  There are lots of wonderful and very helpful folks here.

However, it seems like there are a lot of very affluent posters here.  Much more so than on other cruise line boards.  There are so many posts about the YC and people mentioning suites that they have spent thousands to enjoy.

Don't get me wrong - I am happy for you.  If you can afford it, go for it.  However, where are all the "regular folks"?   The people who travel on a budget.  The people who are glad to just be on a ship, even if they can "only afford" an inside stateroom?

I am feeling like I might be a social outcast on this ship in not dining in the "private dining room" or having access to the spa.

I am worried that the class differences will be as obvious as they were for Leo and Kate in 1997.  That's not a feeling I want while on vacation.  

All experiences and perspectives are welcomed.  Please play nice.

The regular folks don't post as much because we don't have the flex to show off.  My experience is YC folks are pretty snotty honestly, I met one couple that was nice.  And before people attack me, I am speaking from MY experience only and that experience has been YC people are absolutely the entitled types.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, codingmunkey said:

The regular folks don't post as much because we don't have the flex to show off.  My experience is YC folks are pretty snotty honestly, I met one couple that was nice.  And before people attack me, I am speaking from MY experience only and that experience has been YC people are absolutely the entitled types.

Maybe you only met the show offs.  Many cruisers are like us, whether in the Yacht Club or not, who just cruise to relax and/or visit new places with our significant others and/or (in our case) our family members who are cruising with us. We are cordial to anyone we meet but have no desire to make new acquaintances and never, ever discuss politics, religion or how much we paid for a cruise. I guess we are just anti-social but that isn't the same as entitled.

56 minutes ago, Best Cat Mom said:

Never mind... I was getting off-topic.

Sometimes the best stuff on this board is the off-topic stuff. 😁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, morpheusofthesea said:

Description 'fits me to a t.'

I think you mean, "Fits me to two pair of t's," because he said, "pretty snotty." 🧐

I am speaking from my experience, no need to get offended.  I am nice to everyone I meet regardless.  There are entitled folks on all sides but the topic on this thread was YC, sorry if you were offended.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, codingmunkey said:

I am speaking from my experience, no need to get offended.  I am nice to everyone I meet regardless.  There are entitled folks on all sides but the topic on this thread was YC, sorry if you were offended.  

Where did you get the idea someone here is offended? "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam
I yam what I yam what I yam what I yam." said Morpheus the sailorman 

13 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I yam what I yam what I yam what I yam." said Morpheus the sailorman 

But in the US and Canada, you're sweet potatoes. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, no1talks said:

But in the US and Canada, you're sweet potatoes. 

polysemantic ambiguous. (another gin and tonic, bartender !)

P.S. We're waiting for Churchill's "underidoderidoderiododeridoo”.

Edited by morpheusofthesea
P.S.

On 5/8/2024 at 7:48 AM, Momto3girlsintheCarolinas said:

However, it seems like there are a lot of very affluent posters here.  Much more so than on other cruise line boards.  There are so many posts about the YC and people mentioning suites that they have spent thousands to enjoy.

We are the regular folks!

• Like 1

👋🏻 we are both. Our last cruise (late March) was in a regular (Bella) inside, in couple weeks we are in a YC suite, 3 weeks after that in an oceanview (different cruise line).

As far as MSC specifically, YC is amazing. But we’ve had great experiences outside of YC as well. As a general preference, we would prefer YC but choose to sail “regular” more often. 

• Like 4

"Regular" folk here. We always sail generally in an interior cabin, bella or fantastica. We spend virtually no time in our room and prefer to cruise more often, rather than in YC.

35 minutes ago, Ottawa_Cruiser said:

"Regular" folk here. We always sail generally in an interior cabin, bella or fantastica. We spend virtually no time in our room and prefer to cruise more often, rather than in YC.

I think that is the crux of the matter for us. We like to sail 4-5 times a year and it just doesn't make sense in terms of bang for our buck to do that in the YC versus a regular balcony with drinks & wifi included.

• Like 2