What NOT to Pack on a Cruise (& other things to know before your cruise)

Following some recent issues among travelers who have faced legal issues due to packing illegal items on a cruise (here's an example), we wanted to be sure to share a few resources with important info to know before your sailing -- especially ahead of the summer travel season. 

Any other advice to add? 🤔

Do not take a bad mood and worries with you!

Cruising is the best, isn't it? Loads of fun and relaxation. On my last cruise, I almost wished I hadn't packed my fancy iron. Totally unnecessary! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DeclanAllen said:

Do not take a bad mood and worries with you!

Cruising is the best, isn't it? Loads of fun and relaxation. On my last cruise, I almost wished I hadn't packed my fancy iron. Totally unnecessary! 

Absolutely leave all the negative energy behind.  Don't pack negative energy.

I am not saying that everything is always perfect on a cruise vacation, but there are some folks that just seem to invite and find negative wherever they go.  We just chuckle under our breath and think - here he/she/they go again - they found a new problem to whine about.

• Like 2

Agree with the above, but also don't bother with: 

- Towels -- they're provided 

- Snacks -- except you might want to bring pre-packaged snacks to take off the ship 

- Excessive clothing -- you just won't need it 

10 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I am not saying that everything is always perfect on a cruise vacation, but there are some folks that just seem to invite and find negative wherever they go.  We just chuckle under our breath and think - here he/she/they go again - they found a new problem to whine about.

You're absolutely right about keeping the negativity at bay on a cruise.  I remember this one trip to the Bahamas where there was this couple who constantly complained – the food wasn't fancy enough, the music was too loud, even the weather wasn't cooperating according to them!  It definitely brought down the mood for a bit.

On the other hand, I've also met some amazing people on cruises who focus on the positive.  There was this fun group on my last Alaskan adventure who were always up for trying new things, from kayaking in the glaciers to joining the dance competitions at night.  Their enthusiasm was contagious, and it really made the trip even more enjoyable for everyone.

• Like 1

We like to pickup snacks in our ships Logo Shop to keep in the cabin.

Or will pickup snacks or goodies when in port at one of the local stores by the pier.

17 hours ago, DeclanAllen said:

You're absolutely right about keeping the negativity at bay on a cruise.  I remember this one trip to the Bahamas where there was this couple who constantly complained – the food wasn't fancy enough, the music was too loud, even the weather wasn't cooperating according to them!  It definitely brought down the mood for a bit.

On the other hand, I've also met some amazing people on cruises who focus on the positive.  There was this fun group on my last Alaskan adventure who were always up for trying new things, from kayaking in the glaciers to joining the dance competitions at night.  Their enthusiasm was contagious, and it really made the trip even more enjoyable for everyone.

I move away from negative people.  If I meet someone on a cruise that then starts to spout negativity I then begin to distance myself from them.  Unfortunately one person we cruised with one time (and never again) began being negative about many things.   This is not how it is at home, this is not how I would make this dish, and on and on...

15 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

We like to pickup snacks in our ships Logo Shop to keep in the cabin.

Or will pickup snacks or goodies when in port at one of the local stores by the pier.

We don't travel from home with snacks - other than what we might want on the plane - but will pick up local snacks to try that are unique to the country.

If you are ever in Tokyo, don't miss the Kit Kat Chocolatory store.  The Japanese and Kit Kat have a love affair and the flavours and specialty Kit Kat chocolate bars are amazing and not found in many other places in the world.  Be aware however that you may spend some serious cash on Kit Kat.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/16/2024 at 2:37 AM, CDNPolar said:

Hey, that isn't fair!  I put a lot of time and energy into finding things to complain about.😀  

• Haha 4

Make sure when you pack your luggage or carry on, you empty these pieces of luggage first, make sure the luggage is empty. Then start filling them! Do you want to be arrested for carrying something illegal ! Just ask the individuals that are in jail in the Turks and Caicos. They had bullets in their luggage,they claimed they did not know it was there! Just check! No THC or CBD either! Some countries don’t allow lighters in luggage, (China)  No gum in Singapore! Do some research ,before travel!

• Like 2

Surge protectors. A coffee pot or other heat plate. A fan - the cruise ship likely has some by request. Check your destinations for prohibited items and

prohibited drugs. Toilet paper - cruise ships need special toilet paper.  Flushable wipes - they aren’t flushable anywhere.  

I do bring snacks after an 8 hour flight where food was expected yet never arrived. Lesson learned.  I also bring my own trail mix for hiking.  

• Like 1

While most first time cruisers aren't going to be on a trans-Atlantic, (though I was!) if you take a TA bring salty snacks. They're sometimes hard to find onboard, and very expensive at the ports. You'll crave some by about the tenth day.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OldCaver said:

While most first time cruisers aren't going to be on a trans-Atlantic, (though I was!) if you take a TA bring salty snacks. They're sometimes hard to find onboard, and very expensive at the ports. You'll crave some by about the tenth day.

I agree, my home blend has a lot of nuts - also hard to find on ship and perfect for hiking but you do need to check Import restrictions .  Some countries ban their import even if in a sealed package 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Drones.

I need to ask, is this because you don't like drones?

Drones are difficult to travel with because many countries you have to have a letter of permission in advance to use a drone.  Then there are significant restrictions in public areas.

There is a lot of advance arrangements necessary to use a drone, including the ship if you plan to use it on the deck of the ship you are on.

16 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Drones.

6 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

I need to ask, is this because you don't like drones?

Drones are difficult to travel with because many countries you have to have a letter of permission in advance to use a drone.  Then there are significant restrictions in public areas.

There is a lot of advance arrangements necessary to use a drone, including the ship if you plan to use it on the deck of the ship you are on.

I thought drones were on the prohibited list.  

• Like 1

Here is Holland America’s policy and I am sure it is closely aligned with all of the CCL brands’ policies

Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any other remote-controlled aerial devices/toys. (The exception is when permitted for company sponsored events when approved in advance by Fleet Security).

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2024 at 8:57 AM, CDNPolar said:

We don't travel from home with snacks - other than what we might want on the plane - but will pick up local snacks to try that are unique to the country.

If you are ever in Tokyo, don't miss the Kit Kat Chocolatory store.  The Japanese and Kit Kat have a love affair and the flavours and specialty Kit Kat chocolate bars are amazing and not found in many other places in the world.  Be aware however that you may spend some serious cash on Kit Kat.

True Story!! My daughter lived in Japan for 3 years and she would send us kit kats quite often. The matcha and the caramel macchiato were delicious, the mashed potato and the corn on the cob, not so much!

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

I thought drones were on the prohibited list.  

We have travelled with, and used Drones for our personal cruise movies that we create.

We have only travelled with a drone on Viking River and we got permission from Viking in advance, and from the River Ship Captain when we boarded... (He knew in advance from corporate but it was a courtesy to double check).

Then is was about permission from the country that you were in or countries that you were visiting.  You must obtain that permission in advance - and it can take months.  Then you must know the laws and restrictions in public areas.

We checked out flying with them, and certainly you are allowed to fly with a drone, and there are no restrictions that I know of.  Just things like lithium batteries mean that they need to be in carry on luggage.

We were in Lisbon in a square beside the sea, and at that time in Portugal, public squares could not have more than 12 people in attendance for you to fly a drone.  We watched police circle around a tourist that started to fly his drone in this square that clearly had more than 12 people and they forced him to bring the drone down and confiscated it from him.  (Don't ask me where the 12 people count comes from, it was in the permission letter we received.)

As much as we really enjoyed the images that we got from this drone such as arial views when the ship was going through the locks on the Douro River, in the end it was too much advance work for us to bother with again.

Oh, and for anyone that is thinking about using a drone, know that most drones return to the launch site based on GPS coordinates, so you must be cautious that you don't use on a moving ship as you may very well not be able to bring the drone back.  Not impossible, but if the drone gets too far from you where you cannot control it, then it relies on the GPS coordinates to return by itself and now those coordinates are open river...

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Here is Holland America’s policy and I am sure it is closely aligned with all of the CCL brands’ policies

Drones also referred to as Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) or Remotely Piloted Aerial Vehicle (RPA), and any other remote-controlled aerial devices/toys. (The exception is when permitted for company sponsored events when approved in advance by Fleet Security).

Cruise ships that are prohibiting these are likely doing so for privacy concerns that drone operators are not flying them around balcony windows peering in, etc.

I would like to know however if they would actually confiscate the drone on boarding or just tell you not to use it on the ship.  

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Cruise ships that are prohibiting these are likely doing so for privacy concerns that drone operators are not flying them around balcony windows peering in, etc.

I would like to know however if they would actually confiscate the drone on boarding or just tell you not to use it on the ship.  

Various YouTubers have said they need first to file paperwork prior to sailing , the drones are held and are handed over when you leave the ship. Upon returning you are then asked to relinquish it once again 

2 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Various YouTubers have said they need first to file paperwork prior to sailing , the drones are held and are handed over when you leave the ship. Upon returning you are then asked to relinquish it once again 

Makes sense.  Ships don't want them buzzing around.  Even as a past drone user, I would find that annoying.