Transportation from Schipol to Rotterdam

In about 5 months we'll be flying to Amsterdam for a TA from Rotterdam. We'll be arriving the day before our cruise so Holland's transportation isn't available to us. We will have 1 large and 2 smaller suitcases, so our question is the most economically feasible mode of transport for us to take. We're considering the train, but wanted to know if anyone has experienced it with that much luggage, and if the train can easily accommodate it? I've looked at Amsterdam boards as suggested on our roll call, but can't seem to find a definitive answer, and Taxis seem to be a bit too costly. Any transportation suggestions will be much appreciated. TIA.

The transportation question would depend on where you are staying the night you arrive.  Amsterdam or Rotterdam or by the airport?

Sorry for the lack of clarity. We're staying at the Rotterdam Marriott. We're scheduled to get into Amsterdam around 8:30 am and would want to head straight to Rotterdam.

• Thanks 1

Rotterdam Marriott is a great hotel right across the street from the train station. Should be an easy walk even with luggage. Not sure you could get a taxi for such a short ride.

That's good to hear. The train will work as long as we have a place to put our luggage. That's really the only hesitation. Thanks to all who have responded.

DH and I had similar luggage - one large suitcase, 2 carryon and two decent size "personal items"  - and did fine on train from Schipol to Utrecht then Utrecht to Amsterdam. We are in our mid-60s and fairly fit for our age.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Train runs direct from Schipol airport to Rotterdam.  Easy as can be.  The few extra Euro for first class will make the luggage easier as it may be less crowded.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We’ve always used a limo service. It will cost more than the train, but it is nice to have someone meet you after you clear customs, take you and your luggage to the car, and drive you straight to your hotel while you relax. We’ve done this three previous trips and have used Blacklane.com for two of the trips. They are very realiable.

• Like 2

There is no need to take a very expensive private car or even to book a first class train ticket. I’m a frequent traveler on the train route connecting Rotterdam to Schiphol and luggage is never an issue. There will be lots of other passengers with luggage. It’s perfectly okay to keep your suitcase next to you. Your 2 smaller suitcases can go in the overhead rack. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did this trip 3 weeks ago!

2 large suitcases and 1 carry on (plus my back pack and DW's large handbag).

We used standard class train, but ensure you get the Inter City Direct train, as it is non stop to Rotterdam Centraal.  We 'tapped in' and 'tapped out' using our debit cards and the cost of €14.50 was showing on our account next day.

We are both in our mid 70's and DW has a few health problems so needed help to get on the train.  As I lifted the two large suitcases on to the train at least 2 males and 1 female helped me lift them on (the door level is higher than platform level).  We did not take seats, although several people asked DW to take their seat!  We waited in the door area with our bags for the 30 minutes direct journey.

On arrival in Rotterdam Centraal, we were again assisted by commuters to dismount the train.

When you arrive to the Main Foyer/Shopping/Food area of the station, keep the platforms to your back, and go to the right side.  The Marriott hotel is just across the square - an easy walk.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Papaeagle said:

Did you not take a seat by choice or were no seats available? Also, what time of day was it?

We took the train at 9.10pm.  The train was pretty full and it was easier to stay in door area rather than look for seats, which appeared to be in short supply.

To be honest, standing for the 30 minutes was better for me, even after our short flight from Ireland.  One of us could have taken a seat if we wished, but we stayed together to keep an eye on the suitcases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/10/2024 at 4:31 PM, Papaeagle said:

Thanks again VMax1700. We're scheduled to arrive at 8:05 am, so hopefully it won't be as crowded. 

Yes, by the time you clear immigration and collect your bags, rush hour will be over.

• Like 2

Take any IC train to Rotterdam Centraal a lot of them do not have steps to enter. However the Intercity Direct has two steps if I am not mistaken.

Enter the train with a Bike or Wheelchair symbol usually there is a four seater nearby to sit in comfort and to keep an eye on your bags.

• Like 1

Excellent thread for all the Amsterdam Airport Schiphol to Rotterdam Centraal Station answers. :classic_biggrin:

The Intercity Direct that @VMax1700 used is also more tailored for larger pieces of luggage than the normal trains would be (and even those are actually good!). The first class advice given is also good for the added comfort but riding on the balcony or near it in second class is also very doable as proven.

The Dutch railways website for those who are planning future trips: www.ns.nl 

Anything else? :classic_laugh:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, julia said:

Great info here, thx so much.

We will be doing the opposite direction, (arriving Rotterdam on the Rotterdam) and heading to Schipol.  How close/far is the port to the train?

There is a metro station near the cruise terminal.  Maybe 5 minutes walk.

The metro goes to Rotterdam Centraal Station and take the train to Schiphol from there.  Or take a tram.  You can pay by debit or credit card, but each person needs their own card.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

There is a metro station near the cruise terminal.  Maybe 5 minutes walk.

The metro goes to Rotterdam Centraal Station and take the train to Schiphol from there.  Or take a tram.  You can pay by debit or credit card, but each person needs their own card.  

We did that but had to take metro as tram on Sunday did not run til 9:30 am and we were off ship by 8 am.  

On 5/10/2024 at 9:08 AM, VMax1700 said:

We did this trip 3 weeks ago!

2 large suitcases and 1 carry on (plus my back pack and DW's large handbag).

We used standard class train, but ensure you get the Inter City Direct train, as it is non stop to Rotterdam Centraal.  We 'tapped in' and 'tapped out' using our debit cards and the cost of €14.50 was showing on our account next day.

We are both in our mid 70's and DW has a few health problems so needed help to get on the train.  As I lifted the two large suitcases on to the train at least 2 males and 1 female helped me lift them on (the door level is higher than platform level).  We did not take seats, although several people asked DW to take their seat!  We waited in the door area with our bags for the 30 minutes direct journey.

On arrival in Rotterdam Centraal, we were again assisted by commuters to dismount the train.

When you arrive to the Main Foyer/Shopping/Food area of the station, keep the platforms to your back, and go to the right side.  The Marriott hotel is just across the square - an easy walk.

That train step can be a real issue with luggage!