Question from new CPAP user

Cabunit

16 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

Am on the Sapphire right now ( still at the dock in Vancouver dealing with propulsion issues.)

Here’s a picture of the bedside table in an ocean view cabin.  www I’ll be a tight fit for my CPAP, but the lamp has a USB port, which is an improvement.  Still need to plug in at the desk, though.

IMG_5338.jpeg

The shelf underneath is a good option.

3 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

Need to get out of the mind set of putting it on the night stand.  The CPAP is supposed to be below your sleeping level.  The drawer works perfectly.  The box needs to be slightly taller than the draw (6 - 8 inches).  

Either use it when packing or fold it flat and "expand" when you get to the ship.  A regular cardboard box is sturdy enough without adding tape or other adhesives.  

The reason it's supposed to be lower than you are is so that IF your using a humidifier and it doesn't have "active" humidification (i.e. the level changes with room temp), there will be moisture build-up in the hose and it could get blown into your nose. That would wake you up.

For those who don't uses a humidifier, it isn't an issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

The reason it's supposed to be lower than you are is so that IF your using a humidifier and it doesn't have "active" humidification (i.e. the level changes with room temp), there will be moisture build-up in the hose and it could get blown into your nose. That would wake you up.

For those who don't uses a humidifier, it isn't an issue.

And I have never needed the humidifier portion. 

• 2 weeks later...

Back from my cruise, and have recovered from the redeye across country (SEA to RDU) so catching up.

My machine is an AirCurve 10 (https://www.resmed.com/en-us/sleep-apnea/cpap-parts-support/sleep-apnea-full-products-list/cpap-machines/aircurve-10-bilevel/)

I placed the machine on the side of the lamp towards the bed (see copied picture in comment #51, without the BiPAP), and used an extension cord to connect to the power at the desk.  (While the extension cord was on the floor the entire time in my obstructed view OceanView, it wasn't in the way as I got in/out of the bed on the other side.)

I did find that the machine got pulled onto the mattress during the night. More of a "lean" than falling onto the mattress.  No harm to the machine.  I didn't need humidification (unlike home;  guess being surrounded by the Pacific Ocean helped there!), so there wasn't a water issue.

The new USB lamps were a help, I was able to plug in my phone to use as a clock/alarm.

For anybody who might be wondering about the best way to power your CPAP (my opinion...) here is what I do:

As has been stated previously...*most* ships that I've been on have a 220 volt "European style" 2 prong socket behind one of the beds. (The nightstand lamp is generally plugged into this socket.)

I use the adapter below (Amazon) to give me both a European style socket as well as a US style socket.  This way, you can keep the lamp plugged in while also giving you the US style socket needed for the CPAP.  Of course...you need to MAKE SURE that your CPAP power supply is a dual voltage unit!!!  (Most are...)

Ship Power Adapter.jpg

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

For anybody who might be wondering about the best way to power your CPAP (my opinion...) here is what I do:

As has been stated previously...*most* ships that I've been on have a 220 volt "European style" 2 prong socket behind one of the beds. (The nightstand lamp is generally plugged into this socket.)

I use the adapter below (Amazon) to give me both a European style socket as well as a US style socket.  This way, you can keep the lamp plugged in while also giving you the US style socket needed for the CPAP.  Of course...you need to MAKE SURE that your CPAP power supply is a dual voltage unit!!!  (Most are...)

Pretty sure that ALL CPAPs are dual voltage. The manufacturers send the machines all over the world. They got tired of making one machine for the US and a different one for just about everyone else. It's a money thing.

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Pretty sure that ALL CPAPs are dual voltage. The manufacturers send the machines all over the world. They got tired of making one machine for the US and a different one for just about everyone else. It's a money thing.

I agree...but sure as a world, *someone* will come up with a 110 volt only power supply and give me grief! So...I just always toss in that warning. 

My CPAP is an Airsense11 and I love it.  Has a small carrying case and easy to transport.  My post #29 about the desk being on the opposite wall in our Mini Suite was incorrect.  I was looking at the standard Mini.  Saw a video of our accessible Mini and was happy to see the desk is by the bed. So we will be bringing a small cruise approved extension cord.  😀  

Don’t bother with buying a travel CPAP. Just bring your regular one. It will fit on  nightstand. Also travel with a few feet of duct tape wrapped around a bottle or pencil that you can peel off little bits of and use if needed to hold cord or tubing in place (never had it damage furniture or walls).  I travel with an AirSense 11.  It has a nice compact travel case that I also tuck other carryon/ must have items into.

Edited by Thunderbird19

On 5/10/2024 at 12:13 AM, Teechur said:

Have you explored the electrical connection? You may need a (ship supplied) extension cord because there are no outlets by the bed(s) except on the new Sun. One 220 outlet under the bed for the lamp.

Many of the ships have an outlet under the head of the bed, but you need an European adapter.