The Silversea wine appreciation society.

DavyWavey70

1 hour ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

I love Deutz.

Buying Deutz for my daughter’s wedding nearly bankrupted us … 🙂

I wonder whether you like Laurent Perrier Blancs de Blancs Nature? It’s back to the original process ie sans dosage.   Oddly for me based on my previous postings - it’s chardonnay. 😱  Luckily this is where most of my roughly 1.6m BA miles went a few years back and we still have loads and loads. 

Do you also enjoy non-champagnes?  If so what has been your proudest finds?

EDITED:

ps ….. who exactly drinks Blue Top Monopole …… 👿

yes , I am very into white wines as well and in summer the better Provence rosé 

I learnt a lot of German and Austrian white wines aboard Hapag Lloyd cruises 

they have a rather expensive Austrian Riesling  "Singerrieder" 

I like the white Burgundies by Louis Latour  - ranging from the Macon Lugny to the Corton Charlemagne (1 every year with Christmas )    and the white Far Niente and the far too expensive whites by Gaja   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, vistaman said:

yes , I am very into white wines as well and in summer the better Provence rosé 

I learnt a lot of German and Austrian white wines aboard Hapag Lloyd cruises 

they have a rather expensive Austrian Riesling  "Singerrieder" 

I like the white Burgundies by Louis Latour  - ranging from the Macon Lugny to the Corton Charlemagne (1 every year with Christmas )    and the white Far Niente and the far too expensive whites by Gaja   

Interesting variations. 

I do find that Provence Rose always tastes at it’s very best when drinking it in Provence. 🙂

Just on the off chance.  You don’t have a deep’ish interest in Flemish art? 

Jeff

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UKCruiseJeff said:

Interesting variations. 

I do find that Provence Rose always tastes at it’s very best when drinking it in Provence. 🙂

Just on the off chance.  You don’t have a deep’ish interest in Flemish art? 

Jeff

of course but I prefer the finesse by Anthony Van Dyck above Rubens and I like Magritte 😊

another great artist was Paul Delvaux  

i will join the Crystal Symphony in Toulon , but I will go to Bandol the morning of the embarkation by train  12 min  - there is a wine store having nearly all the Bandol wines . "Oenotheque de Bandol" 

• Like 1

One of the miracles ascribed to Jesus is that, at a wedding where presumably the cheapskate father of the bride had underestimated the amount of wine that would be slurped up by the guests, he turned water into wine.  As the story goes, the guests complained "Why did you keep the good stuff 'til the end?" So, SS oenophiles, what sort of wine do you suppose he conjured up?  And do they have it onboard SS ships?  😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, christraveller said:

Pommery Brut Royal $53 at an online wine store. 
Duval-Leroy Brut Reserve $64. 

other stores/wholesale/on sale prices will differ. 

checked for interest’s sake. 

in Belgium completely the opposite ...

around Christmas  the Heidsieck Monopole Blue Top was  22,5 eur

with Duval Leroy you never know : there is Brut , Brut reserve and Brut Fleur de Champagne

the Rosé of Duval Leroy is not so bad at all ... 

On 5/14/2024 at 1:10 AM, canderson said:

Some day, I'd like to sample a wine made from Aglianico grapes.

They are legion, but one of my favorites is Galardi Terra di Lavoro (don't know if this is available on board but still worth seeking out).

Edited by Winemaker_1

A little from Downunder. Australian wine makers have taken to screw tops instead of cork enthusiastically. First with white wines as early usage of these tops in trials were with white wines which lasted longer with the screw tops. More cautious with the reds.

I bought the screw top releases of 2 of my favourite wines as the vineyards released both cork and screw tops with the 2004 vintages. Twenty years down the track I can say that I prefer the screw top versions. They are lasting 5 - 10 years longer than their corked siblings.

An interesting article.

https://chrisshanahan.com/articles/2007/a-new-seal-for-penfolds-grange/

46 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

They are legion, but one of my favorites is Galardi Terra di Lavoro (don't know if this is available on board but still worth seeking out).

Funny you should use the word "legion" in this context - given when/where it was popularized!

No, I was thinking of a white version from the Aglianico (aka Aminea Gemina) grape as it's widely believed that they made Falernian back in Rome in the 'really old days', perhaps with some Greco thrown in.  It seems that all of the modern day Aglianico wines are reds, and I've always wondered what a full bodied white would be like from this grape.

19 minutes ago, drron29 said:

A little from Downunder. Australian wine makers have taken to screw tops instead of cork enthusiastically.

Just spare me the versions of the synthetic cork that require a 1/4 stick of dynamite to remove.  When even my Cork Pop struggles (great for removing very old, dodgy corks), it's definitely too tight.

• Haha 2

30 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just spare me the versions of the synthetic cork that require a 1/4 stick of dynamite to remove.  When even my Cork Pop struggles (great for removing very old, dodgy corks), it's definitely too tight.

Thanks for the reminder. I've not seen many of them lately! Maybe that's a sign?

9 hours ago, canderson said:

Funny you should use the word "legion" in this context - given when/where it was popularized!

I guess I should be embarrassed to admit that was intentional.

9 hours ago, canderson said:

No, I was thinking of a white version from the Aglianico (aka Aminea Gemina) grape as it's widely believed that they made Falernian back in Rome in the 'really old days', perhaps with some Greco thrown in.  It seems that all of the modern day Aglianico wines are reds, and I've always wondered what a full bodied white would be like from this grape.

Oh, I totally misunderstood but an interesting quest.  I can't say I've ever had a white Aglianico, but it must exist somewhere.  There are many nice Grecos and Fianos though!  (Greco being one of the more likely candidates for Aminea Gemina).  Have you tried the Falerno del Massico DOC wines?  

As you probably know already, Falernian wine may have been both red and white.  From what Patrick McGovern had found (an undergraduate teacher of mine), the Romans often harvested late then sun-dried the grapes before fermentation.  The wines were believed to often be madierized.  

I haven't seen any evidence of a red Falernian yet.  The writers I've run across to date have all indicated no time on the lees.

Falerno del Massico is such a tiny space, I'm almost surprised they export outside of the country.  Have not yet run across one here in the U.S., and I've not followed the coast much at all N of Naples.  Again, we're talking reds, I think.

I hardly dare enter these august portals with my plebeian taste, but having not had any vinho verde for many years I bought a couple on advice from the Times, and discovered it to be not only delicious drinking but slightly petillant.  Is it always marginally sparkling?  I hasten to add that this is just the Waitrose own at about £7.50, and they have just temporarily sold out.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I hardly dare enter these august portals with my plebeian taste, but having not had any vinho verde for many years I bought a couple on advice from the Times, and discovered it to be not only delicious drinking but slightly petillant.  Is it always marginally sparkling?  I hasten to add that this is just the Waitrose own at about £7.50, and they have just temporarily sold out.

I believe that it usually does have a tiny bit of fizz. It's a very nice summer sipper!

• Like 3

Lincslady,

I agree - mere mortals hardly dare set foot in these hallowed halls, where erudition is the order of the day, and a compendious - nay, encyclopedic - knowledge of all things oenological is SOP.  That said, I agree that Vinho Verde is a wonderful thing, as summery as fireflies, and generally available at a nice price.  As an uncultured, ill-mannered schlump, I pride myself on being able to assemble a decent case of quaffable swill for under $150 USD.  My DW undertook to "grow our own", and is getting pretty serious about it.  (Basement is now a winery, essentially.)  Hope to try her first decanting soon.

Meanwhile in viticulture land, here on the upper left corner of N America, the grapes are taking off.  Today I'm tasked with reinforcing the arbor.  When I built it in 2020 when grapes were planted (about 100 feet long), I thought it was light and airy and all artsy-fartsy looking, but up to the task.  Last year's load of grapes partly tore it apart, so reinforcements are being made.  A grape vine waits for no man.  Work here is being supervised by Tiramisu, our OES.  

IMG_6422.jpeg

IMG_6423.jpeg

IMG_6425.jpeg

• Like 9

33 minutes ago, mchell810 said:

A personal winery and tiramisu ... what more could one want? 😀

I was going to suggest that a number of the leaves in the photo looked a bit yellowish, but I guess that means Tiramisu isn't provided any added nitrogen! 😄

@Will Work for Tiramisu

Speaking of which, how are your soil pH levels there?  A bit high, perhaps?  What variety(ies) have you planted?  Looks from the 3rd photo that you've got a bit of an arch available - for netting?  Between the birds and squirrels here, it's essential.

I’ve a Victorian vine, c1850, here that somehow takes tips from Audrey 11 from the little shop of horrors. The grapes are huge with an abundance of pips. We often machete it but it never loses heart. They don’t sweeten every year (the climate of North Wales can be a little melancholy) but I have successfully made wine in good years. If anybody wants cuttings from a 170 year old vine that Putin would have a job getting to die back a bit then let me know. 

• Like 2