2 Ultimate Dining Plan Qs

Looking into getting the Ultimate Dining Plan (UDP) and wondered if anyone knew anything about following:

1) The ala carte credit-Is it just per day or is it per day per establishment (i.e. can you go to Playmakers and Izumi in the park?)

2) Can you go to a specialty restaurant for lunch on embarkation day?

Thanks

2 hours ago, mikegrip said:

1) The ala carte credit-Is it just per day or is it per day per establishment (i.e. can you go to Playmakers and Izumi in the park?)

It should be by venue. 
If open, maybe - that may vary by ship. 

I've read the ala carte is per meal, you cant pick 2 for dinner for instance and do ala carte at both.

So it may depend on ship. Biker first time I've read its per venue. Answers seem to vary. 

Posted (edited)

I've purchased the UDP for my upcoming cruise. Under the terms, it states that the $20 credit is once per day. So if you use it at a restaurant, you can't use it again until the next day, even if you spend less than $20 at the restaurant. You can share your $20 credit with your partner, and your partner can use their $20 credit later or at a different restaurant, however.

It also says lunch on sea days only, but some reviews I've read, people have used it on departure day. I'm planning to try to see if I can use it on departure day. Here is a cut and paste from the terms: 

• Specialty dining for dinner every night of your sailing and lunch on sea days.
  • For venues with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit — with the exception of Izumi in the Park, where you’ll receive a $10 food credit. Credits can only be used once a day.
  • For ships with Izumi Sushi, you’ll have a choice of a prix fixe menu, or a $39.99 food credit for the a la carte menu.
  • For ships with the following venues, these are included with an additional surcharge: Izumi Hibachi/Teppanyaki — $15 surcharge. Chef's Table — $49.99 surcharge. Empire Supper Club — $130 surcharge. Wonderland by DaDong — $24.99 surcharge. These will be charged once onboard.
  • For applicable sailings, Holiday Celebration Dinners are included with a $49.99 surcharge. This will be charged once onboard.
Edited by cruisinfly
Typo

I have used the UDP for lunches.  Go to the Cruise Planner and see if they have the specialty restaurant lunches available.  Select each restaurant separately, as if you are going to buy the reservation, and all the days they are available for lunch will show up as reservation choices.  Note these for each available restaurant, and those are the days you can use your UDP.  

I usually go in to one of them on embarkation day, ask to be seated, and give them a list with all my reservation requests for lunch and dinner for the cruise (with a cash tip), and ask they be made for me while I'm eating. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have never had a problem dining at a specialty restaurant on embarkation day with the UDP. We've also used the ala carte credit at multiple locations on the same day.  This was on Icon last month as well as many other ships. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

There has always been at least one specialty restaurant open when we have boarded. I wouldn't worry about that at all.

@pcur's advice is good and something we have done.  Make a list of when you want to eat and at which restaurant in advance and print the list out before leaving home.  Head to whatever restaurant is open for lunch on embarkation day, had the Maitre' D the list as you are being seated and it'll all be taken care by the time you finish lunch.  

Edited by Tree_skier

I have had the UDP on a few cruises...
The $20 credit is pp/pd. 

We went to Playmakers for lunch and used my credit (we went over the $20 by a few dollars. They just charged me the difference) We went back for a late-night snack and used my DHs $20 credit. 

We always eat at a specialty restaurant on boarding day. 

• Like 2

Thank you everyone and great advice to give them a list while enjoying lunch.  Went ahead and doing it for Utopia 4 night and Giovannis and Mason Jar are open on Embarkation day.

• Like 2

I did Icon in March. The UDP credit was per venue / per day. I was traveling with a D+ couple that thought it was just $20 per day, and had to confirm it with the staff. 

• For venues with a la carte pricing, you’ll receive a $20 food credit — with the exception of Izumi in the Park, where you’ll receive a $10 food credit. Credits can only be used once a day.

The way I read this, and the way it was implemented on my last cruise, each venue has a $20 food credit, and it can be used daily. I also came to these boards to clarify this question before our cruise.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Hutcha said:

I did Icon in March. The UDP credit was per venue / per day. I was traveling with a D+ couple that thought it was just $20 per day, and had to confirm it with the staff. 

The way I read this, and the way it was implemented on my last cruise, each venue has a $20 food credit, and it can be used daily. I also came to these boards to clarify this question before our cruise.

Good clarification from real world experience. I would have mistakenly read it as one credit use per day instead of one credit use per day at the same venue.

Thanks.

On 5/11/2024 at 4:26 AM, mikegrip said:

Looking into getting the Ultimate Dining Plan (UDP) and wondered if anyone knew anything about following:

Thanks

Just a worthless FYI, it is called the Unlimited Dining Package, not “Ultimate”.