Cunard Faux Pas

DCThunder

I'm a rookie Cunard cruiser, heading to Alaska on QE on June 21.  What are some on-board etiquette mistakes I should avoid so I don't look the fool in the august surroundings of a Cunard ship?😀

I've cruised a lot on Princess and HAL, so not a total noob, but want to be sure I'm not "that guy" on Cunard!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

I'm a rookie Cunard cruiser, heading to Alaska on QE on June 21.  What are some on-board etiquette mistakes I should avoid so I don't look the fool in the august surroundings of a Cunard ship?😀

I've cruised a lot on Princess and HAL, so not a total noob, but want to be sure I'm not "that guy" on Cunard!

Despite the impression you might get from some posters here, it is really not like that. Basic standards of politeness and a little kindness are all that is required. Don’t worry, and smile at all the crew.

• Like 10

Agrée with exlondoner ! We’ve never once felt the need to worry about snobbishness from others on Cunard. People are either very friendly and want to be sociable, or they’re minding their own business and happy that way. 

• Like 6

I feel that I am making a faux pas every time I step on the Queen’s Room dance floor!
Seriously, the onboard atmosphere is more calm and relaxed than one may imagine. Many pax are well-seasoned travelers and are interesting and open to conversing. I also concur with the suggestion to smile at the staff. 

Your concern may be centered on how to dress after six and what others may think of you. All I can say is to try your best attire-wise after six and you’ll be fine. QE is an elegant ship so enjoy and participate in the occasion and don’t worry about what others think (you may even see a few fellow pax around and wonder what’s the deal with them!)
A few tips: arrive early for Afternoon Tea and the pub lunch, room service is included in your fare, and I hope you have booked some excursions because many have sold out. Juneau and Ketchikan are going to be busy crowded port days. 
I’ll be on that same voyage and hope to see you onboard. 

• Like 3

I read a review recently complaining that there were no announcements and that passengers were expected to read the Daily Programmes - The horror !

Have a great time 

• Like 8
  • Haha 13

I've only been on one other company apart from Cunard (I mean, why go elsewhere?) but thinking what are the things that have made me think "it's that guy". Not that it happens often, usually Cunard is about style, grace and being comfortable. Even the evening dress code which causes so many posts here - on board it all tends to work absolutely fine.

But if thinking allowed:

- excessive use of mobile phones in restaurants and other venues would be a bad idea

- wearing shorts in Britannia or other formal locations = not good. It's pretty rare in the Golden Lion.

- don't jump the queue (line) unless it's a real emergency

- when sitting down near another passenger in a restaurant, bar or what not, smile and say "good evening, lovely weather isn't it?" or some such, then gauge the response to work out whether they want to engage further. Some do, some don't.  Breakfast events can stick to "Good morning" though!

- Generally you don't need to tip on board, if you paid the hotel service charge, but if a crew member does something really nice then a few dollars is a good idea.

Generally trying to board early or disembark at the first opportunity rarely shows Cunard at its best, if you can go an hour later it's a lot calmer.

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, NE John said:

I feel that I am making a faux pas every time I step on the Queen’s Room dance floor!
Seriously, the onboard atmosphere is more calm and relaxed than one may imagine. Many pax are well-seasoned travelers and are interesting and open to conversing. I also concur with the suggestion to smile at the staff. 

Your concern may be centered on how to dress after six and what others may think of you. All I can say is to try your best attire-wise after six and you’ll be fine. QE is an elegant ship so enjoy and participate in the occasion and don’t worry about what others think (you may even see a few fellow pax around and wonder what’s the deal with them!)
A few tips: arrive early for Afternoon Tea and the pub lunch, room service is included in your fare, and I hope you have booked some excursions because many have sold out. Juneau and Ketchikan are going to be busy crowded port days. 
I’ll be on that same voyage and hope to see you onboard. 

Thanks, NEJohn.  I've got my excursions all booked (both through the ship and otherwise) so I'm good there.  And I bought a secondhand tuxedo, so I think I'll be covered as well on that front. Hope to meet you as well. 

• Like 4

Just now, Pushpit said:

Generally trying to board early or disembark at the first opportunity rarely shows Cunard at its best, if you can go an hour later it's a lot calmer.

I have definitely found that boarding later in the process is better than earlier, so I totally agree here.  Thanks for the other tips.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Host Hattie said:

I read a review recently complaining that there were no announcements and that passengers were expected to read the Daily Programmes - The horror !

Have a great time 

The lack of: announcements, general commotion, reliance on staring at your phone/apps, and non-stop background music brings me back to Cunard. 

• Like 11

The other specific faux pas is trying to blag your way into the kennels as a non-pet owner.  Almost every crossing someone gets in there, hoping for some photos or video for their social media, and neither the ship nor the pet owners look on it kindly.  

Passengers are welcome to come up to the kennel gate and chat to dog owners and see those pets that are outside, and people wanting photos of the doggies on board should find out when the pet parade during the crossing will be held - usually late morning a day or two before arrival, depending on the weather.  Then all the dogs come out for the group photo on the deck area where the boardwalk cafe is, and then get to parade and exercise their dogs, mingling with the few passengers who have heard about it on board.  Keep this secret info to yourself, as it’s not supposed to be an audience event!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, IB2 said:

The other specific faux pas is trying to blag your way into the kennels as a non-pet owner.

Good point but note to Cunard newbies that the kennel is available on the QM2 Crossings. Of course the OP will book a Crossing soon after his first Cunard voyage. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NE John said:

Good point but note to Cunard newbies that the kennel is available on the QM2 Crossings. Of course the OP will book a Crossing soon after his first Cunard voyage. 

Yes, I skipped over that the OP is going to Alaska.  There won't be any pets on that trip!

• Like 1

We were fortunate last crossing to stumble upon the once per week pet parade outside of the kennels on Deck 12.

Very happy animals with their owners . Mostly well behaved .

Some loose , some leashed, all having fun for 1 morning.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, IB2 said:

Yes, I skipped over that the OP is going to Alaska.  There won't be any pets on that trip!

Maybe they'll bring the sled dog puppies aboard!🐕

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I was a Cunard noob last summer for a crossing from Brooklyn to Southhampton.  I read the threads about dress codes and theme nights ahead of time and planned accordingly.  My daily dress habits pretty much meet the standards for non-formal nights.  I purchased a Tuxedo for formal nights because I was planning to use it for future events.  Following the theme for the theme nights was enjoyable for my GF, who enjoys dressing fashionably.  

We enjoyed watching the couples dance in the Queen's room each night. The waiter remembered our order preferences and accommodated us each night. One night, we joined a line dance, not knowing the steps. The male and female dance hosts expertly paired with us and ensured we enjoyed ourselves.   They had a 70s and 80s night, and then I got out on the floor and channeled my inner John Travolta (or Revolta, if you prefer).  A few regulars saw me the next day and noted my performance in a smiling, friendly way.  

My major faux pax was getting angry with a couple of crew members when I failed to itemize the laundry list.  They returned the laundry not completed.  I really should have known better.  I was trying to assist GF, and some of the words on the list did not match the types of close she had, and I was lazy.  I apologized profusely, and all was well.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 5/13/2024 at 7:45 PM, NE John said:

Yes, that's exactly the case, @NE John Two Cunard voyages completed, and guess what? I have another FOUR Cunard voyages booked, one of which is of course a Transatlantic on QM2 in 2026 🛳️🙂

• Like 2

I will be on my 9th, 10th and 11th voyages on the QM2 beginning August 23rd (2 crossings and the British Isle cruise). I always travel solo because I like meeting new people of the type of you find onboard the singular QM2. They tend to be genteel, well-dressed, and very well educated, so dinner in the MDR and pub conversations can be scintillating! Of course, if you want to be solitary at times, everybody respects that. Always keep in mind, on the QM2 the journey is the reward. Enjoy the grandest of ships and those who sail on her. 

May you always find fair winds and following seas.

• Like 4

Do as you would normally do on your usual cruise lines and I am sure you will enjoy it. On the few Cunards we have now done, we did just that, in keeping with recommendations onboard re: attire etc (I am sure there are some who travel and just want to be contrary!). With the exception of very few snooty passengers who would never be happy with anything in life and seemed to moan at everything and treat crew with disdain, the passengers were really lovely: chatty, engaging, mutually respectful etc…fabulous crew, too.

We found it was far removed from an intimidating ship experience as some had led us to believe initially and the whole atmosphere onboard was lovely. 

Edited by Camberley
  • Like 4

On 5/12/2024 at 3:11 PM, NE John said:

Wait! You mean that being an uncoordinated klutz is a faux pas? I thought I was just endearingly pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

22 hours ago, NE John said:

Especially worse when DW is a really good dancer. 

Tell me about it. My wife started dance lessons at age 7 or so, including years of classes at the Washington National Ballet in the 1970s. I had a few lessons at the racquetball club/gym I patronized in Knoxville a couple of decades ago.

• Like 2

I dont mean to hijack the OP's thread, but I have a small query about Cunard etiquette that after four cruises on Cunard I'm still not completely sure of - when walking in passageways, what is the correct side to pass someone? 

Im Australian and its never been a question I've had on Australian based ships, everyone just keeps to the left, the way you would when driving. I assumed it would be the same on an English line, however there always seems to be a bit of confusion there. I have noticed that the staff always keep to the right, while most (but not all) of the passengers tend to keep to the left, which often leads to a lot of dodging and weaving in busy areas like the buffet when there's staff walking around with trays. I also did the behind the scenes tour and we were told to strictly keep to the right like the crew when walking through the working areas of the ship.