Cunard Faux Pas

DCThunder

@Jim_P, I won't pretend to be knowledgeable about proper etiquette concerning which side to walk along passageways on Cunard ships. I will say as an American, I tend to walk on the right-hand side, in line with the side of the road we drive on, which no doubt adds to some of the confusion.

I will offer this transcription of a portion of the Captain's Emergency Procedure Broadcast made prior to departure which may be of some further help to inform the matter from a purely procedural standpoint. This goes along with the crew keeping to the right.

The Captain's instructions for proceeding to your assembly station in case of an emergency state "Walk quickly and quietly keeping to the right-hand side."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, @Jim_P, I'm an Aussie too, and I also keep to the left normally, but find it a bit hard on board to know what is expected. It's tricky because Cunard is owned by an American corporation, but is a British-based line, so I don't know whether to follow the Brits or the Yanks. It's pretty clear which way to go around the promenade deck, though. Don't ask me how I found out.

• Like 1

I remember the first time I was on the QM2. I noticed all the staff keeping to the right so I thought that's how it must be so I was doing that.  I was walking to my cabin and an older British woman was coming the other way. She rolled her eyes at me and says "you must be American". So I've been confused ever since 😄

• Haha 1

I would say, all the things that should be come naturally ( like manners, a smile now and then- nobody expects you to have false grins on your face all day long, politness, consideration for others - Thank you and Please wount go a miss either)   apply also on board a Cunard ship.

Or quite simply act upon the Golden Rule - treat everyone as you like to be treated and you will get along famously.

Posted (edited)

That was amusing- the no anouncement policy is one of the things that make me book Cunard over and over again. Celebrity has the same policy, such a bother always those announcement about this and that.

Edited by Germancruiser
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I tend to walk on the opposite side to the stateroom doors so I don't bump into room stewards or passengers emerging from rooms.

It's funny because it's common in many countries for everyone to keep to a certain side on pavements and footpaths, but when visitors to the UK ask what side people should keep, they are surprised to find that we don't do that in the UK. I just tell them to choose the side that the person coming towards you isn't on.

Edited by jay1283
  • Like 1

I don't think there is an etiquette to it, though the captain's instructions in the event of an emergency is an interesting one. But the other oddity is that the UK (and Australia, NZ) don't have an etiquette for pavements and pathways on land, so it wouldn't be a natural thing to bring to a ship if a landlubber. Jaywalking is a citation offence in parts of the USA but in the UK I can't believe anyone has ever been arrested for that.

The etiquette is a more general "be nice, be polite and help those less fortunate than yourself". The exception to this is that in subway / tube stations and other restricted environments where there is a risk of accidents due to people walking at speed, there would be big signs up saying - in London at least - "Keep Left".

6 hours ago, jay1283 said:

It's funny because it's common in many countries for everyone to keep to a certain side on pavements and footpaths, but when visitors to the UK ask what side people should keep, they are surprised to find that we don't do that in the UK. I just tell them to choose the side that the person coming towards you isn't on.

5 hours ago, exlondoner said:

On London Underground escalators the convention (universally observed by Londoners) is to stand on the right and walk on the left.

The above posts are so true!  In the UK you will be dodging and weaving as everyone will be walking on whichever side they want. And even though, when driving, you will keep to the left and pass on the right, the opposite is true when on the escalators. 

I do the same as @jay1283… choose the opposite side of the person coming toward you. I also tend to get behind someone else, when in a crowd, as they will lead the way and clear the path.  Usually. 😜

2 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

And even though, when driving, you will keep to the left and pass on the right, the opposite is true when on the escalators. 

Maybe that's because it was an American who invented escalators.  The first one was installed at Coney Island in 1896.

5 hours ago, david63 said:

When walking along passenger corridors I walk on the same side as the handrail, other times the route of least resistance.

On a couple of crossings, I kind of bounced off both of the walls as I walked down the corridor. Makes it more interesting when the floor moves.

• Haha 1