Alaska - Skagway White Pass shore excursion option

TT304

Hello, I will take Celebrity for 7 night Alaska trip on Sep. 2024. There are two shore excursions on Skagway I am interested:

1. White Pass Railway and Klondike Highway Journey $182/pp 3hr15min - Train going and bus return between Skagway and White Pass. 

2. Best of Skagway $212/pp 6.5hr -  Train round trips plus other activates. 

Which option do you think will carry better experience? Thank you very much!

White Pass Trip.pdf

I think they would be equal but the second one is 6.5 hours vs 3 hours 15 minutes.   The round trip on the train you will basically have the same view coming and going.    The bus ride --runs parallel to the tracks but not very scenic like on the train.

I have done the train up, small bus down twice with Chilkoots Tours, and enjoyed it both times.  It looks like there is only a thirty dollar price difference between the 2 different excursion options, so I think I would be tempted to go with the 6.5 hour round trip which includes a salmon bake and a stop at the Red Onion saloon.

Also, at least the round trip train ride should guarantee you having a 'window' view of the scenery (left side of the train).  We spent a fair bit of time standing on the platform between the rail cars.  Chilly, but nice.

• Like 1

Through the years we have driven our own vehicles into Skagway, driven rental cars in Skagway and also have taken the White Pass and Yukon Railroad at least twice (or three?) times.  While opinions about scenery are subjective I don't agree that the road is not very scenic as compared to the train.  But I agree with @Ferry_Watcher -- I would take the 6.5 hour round trip.

• Like 1

We are booked for the White Pass Railway and Klondike Highway Journey next week.  I can let you know what we thought of it after we go.  

• Like 1

We’re currently on an Alaska B3B on the Grand Princess and was curious if Celebrity offered any excursions in Haines? We went on 2 there the last couple of weeks and enjoyed them both immensely!

If you’re interested in the descriptions of those PCL excursions in Haines we went on, by way of a ferry ride from/to Skagway, look in my below expanded signature and go to post 191 of my latest Live From thread to see our experiences at the Kroschel Wildlife Refuge and post 393 to see those of the Alaska Nature and Wildlife Expedition. If you enjoy seeing wildlife, maybe Celebrity offers something similar.

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

If you’re interested in the descriptions of those PCL excursions in Haines we went on, by way of a ferry ride from/to Skagway, look in my below expanded signature and go to post 191 of my latest Live From thread to see our experiences at the Kroschel Wildlife Refuge and post 393 to see those of the Alaska Nature and Wildlife Expedition. If you enjoy seeing wildlife, maybe Celebrity offers something similar.

We were on the Edge May 11-17, 2024 sailing and had booked this excursion thru Celebrity, but then we received a notice that the tour was cancelled months ago.  We were so disappointed.  Hopefully Celebrity is offering it on future Alaska/Skagway cruises.

(We replaced it with a Chilkott Tours' train up, visit the suspension bridge, bus down tour)

13 hours ago, TT304 said:

Hello, I will take Celebrity for 7 night Alaska trip on Sep. 2024. There are two shore excursions on Skagway I am interested:

1. White Pass Railway and Klondike Highway Journey $182/pp 3hr15min - Train going and bus return between Skagway and White Pass. 

2. Best of Skagway $212/pp 6.5hr -  Train round trips plus other activates. 

Which option do you think will carry better experience? Thank you very much!

White Pass Trip.pdf 383.19 kB · 6 downloads

Take the train I loved it, but then again I am a train geek.  The views are amazing!  Suggestion if you do is to try to sit closest to the front for the coaches where a little heater is.

Did the train  ( White Pass RR ) independently and saved some money Round trip.

Scheduled it early so as to be back to the ship in plenty of time.

No issues , great shore excursion.

We have rented a car in Skagway on two different occasions when our cruise stopped there.  Cannot remember the type vehicle but it was big enough for our group of 6.  The rental car cost around $200 for the day (i am sure it's more now) but that was a huge savings over the excursion prices.

It's an easy and scenic drive.  We drove several miles past Carcross and saw some beautiful scenery.

Have fun.

I recommend getting on the port ( um, left since you are on land) on the way up. The narration is the same both directions, but your interest level is better earlier in the journey. That side has a much better view.

if you are getting a Salmon Bake out of the $30 I would go that way.

We will also be there in September. It should be beautiful.

• Like 2