Tendering ticket system required for later hours?

We will have 3 tender ports on my next Celebrity cruise. I know people with excursions and the Retreat get priority. 

I read that some (all?) of these tender ports will have a ticketing system.  

But let's say, we are going to Isafjordur and arrive at 7:00, and you only go off board around 10:00, do they still work with a ticketing system or is that only for the first few hours? I couldn't find a clear answer online. 

Thank you in advance!

It’s incredibly variable and no one can tell you at what point they will stop requiring tickets but generally, they make an announcement to the effect that the tendering operation is going well and tickets are no longer required. When that announcement comes is anyone’s guess

• Like 3

Generally that is early on to ensure those with shore excursions are able to disembark in a timely manner.  You should be okay to just walk off at that time, however as every port and ship is different, always listen to on board announcements and your daily printed schedule for the most accurate information.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

We never get off when there are tickets. We enjoy the ship and once they announce tickets are not longer required, we leave the ship. A much more relaxing vacation. 

That's exactly what we want to do! But I didn't know how long it usually takes. But thank you so much everyone for your replies 🙂 I'll check the announcements and read the schedule!

33 minutes ago, sofienummer said:

That's exactly what we want to do! But I didn't know how long it usually takes. But thank you so much everyone for your replies 🙂 I'll check the announcements and read the schedule!

Usually a couple of hours after it starts. Tendering really does start early. We always try to leave the ship around 9-10 o’clock. And it’s a much calmer process. 

• Like 1

Would help if you mentioned the ship or class of ship.   Personally I found that on E-Class, even with the larger tenders it can take a couple hours with the ticketing system.   That also depends on how many are going ashore as well as how many on ships tours.    I've also found that on early morning ports the first couple tenders can be pretty empty. 

One other point.  If you are Elite or above or in Concierge there is also priority tendering.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

Would help if you mentioned the ship or class of ship.   Personally I found that on E-Class, even with the larger tenders it can take a couple hours with the ticketing system.   That also depends on how many are going ashore as well as how many on ships tours.    I've also found that on early morning ports the first couple tenders can be pretty empty. 

One other point.  If you are Elite or above or in Concierge there is also priority tendering.

Ah yes, didn't think about that! I'm on the Celebrity Silhouette. Is that perhaps E-class? I'm new to Celebrity Cruises... still reading and learning about it 🙂 

Just now, sofienummer said:

Ah yes, didn't think about that! I'm on the Celebrity Silhouette. Is that perhaps E-class? I'm new to Celebrity Cruises... still reading and learning about it 🙂 

Silhouette is an S-Class (mid - Size of the 3 classes).   I was on Solstice (S-Class) recently and we had an overnight in Hilo (Tender Port).   First day we were in really early and tendering began at about 7:15 AM.   The initial tenders appeared only 1/2 to 3/4 full but within 15 minutes tickets were required.   I think by 9:30 tenders were open to all.

• Like 1

I just recently got off of the Eclipse.  There was a tender into Martha's Vineyard.  We decided to take our time going down as we had no definitive plans.  The ship arrived at 8:00 AM, and started tendering fairly quickly at 8:15.  We went down around 10:15, figuring they would be at open tender by then, and were handed ticket number 44.  They were still only on number 23 at that time.  At 1:00, they still hadn't gotten to our number, so we decided not to even bother trying to get off the ship since we had to be back by 4:15.  It was a debacle.  So, if nothing else, I would head down early to at least get a low number, even if you aren't planning on leaving until 10 or so.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Or in a suite.

On 5/26/2024 at 1:36 PM, njshow said:

I just recently got off of the Eclipse.  There was a tender into Martha's Vineyard.  We decided to take our time going down as we had no definitive plans.  The ship arrived at 8:00 AM, and started tendering fairly quickly at 8:15.  We went down around 10:15, figuring they would be at open tender by then, and were handed ticket number 44.  They were still only on number 23 at that time.  At 1:00, they still hadn't gotten to our number, so we decided not to even bother trying to get off the ship since we had to be back by 4:15.  It was a debacle.  So, if nothing else, I would head down early to at least get a low number, even if you aren't planning on leaving until 10 or so.

Thank you for telling me your experience; that does sound like a debacle! I assume that's not common, but it's good to know that is also what could happen. 

And thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind! 

On 5/26/2024 at 8:13 PM, Mark_K said:

Or in a suite.

Or you purchased Premium Access. Speaking of which, does anyone know how Celebrity handles PA Priority Tendering? We purchased PA on an upcoming cruise specifically for this benefit. Do we just show up at some meeting place anytime we're ready to get off? When we had The Key on RC 5 years ago, there was only 1 time slot for priority tendering. It was essentially like having purchased a shorex with a specific meeting time and place. I wonder if the system on Celebrity is the same.

Posted (edited)

On my last few tender ports, it took as much as 2 hours before they called general disembarkation.  It really can vary by port and by sea conditions in that port.

Edited by phoenix_dream