Transfers Show included even though I booked Port to Port

Jim_Iain

I was just checking out a booking we have for our first Silversea cruise.     Since it was cheaper for us to book air on our own (no hotel required) we purchased Port to Port.  

I was just looking at our reservation on SilverSea site and it suggests we have transfers included.     Is this a mistake or should I call my agent to figure out.   My confirmation from agent doesn't mention transfers.

silversea.thumb.jpg.94f3ded10cfa49c29df83b3f77e40294.jpg

Hello Jim,

The shore excursion notation is correct since SS includes tours, unless it's an "essentials fare" which you haven't booked. 

I don't have an firm answer for you regarding the transfers; however, P2P fares should not include the transfer.  You can check you confirmation from SS to see if it's listed there as well.  Personally, I'd leave it alone and see if SS gives it to you; they would send a link to Blacklane to book the transfers about 30 days before your trip. Since arranging the transfers are easy for you it may be good to roll the dice. 

I've been watching that cruise myself: the easy flights makes the itinerary especially attractive.  It's unlikely I will book (to many other trips planned) at least I know I'll be able to follow your journey.  😃

Posted (edited)

For an example like yours: We are on a Kimberley Cruise in two weeks, which we booked last June. We booked D2D but took the air credit, which should have eliminated the airport-to-hotel transfers along with the flights. The airport to hotel transfers showed up on My Silversea for a few months after we made the reservation. Eventually they disappeared. Yours probably will too at some point.  

Oops - I reread your post and I see you're talking about the Blacklane transfers. Mea culpa. I guess I'm no better than Silversea when it comes to attention to detail!

Edited by jpalbny
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was just checking out a booking we have for our first Silversea cruise.     Since it was cheaper for us to book air on our own (no hotel required) we purchased Port to Port.  

I was just looking at our reservation on SilverSea site and it suggests we have transfers included.     Is this a mistake or should I call my agent to figure out.   My confirmation from agent doesn't mention transfers.

I agree to first checking your documentation.  Is it possible that you have been booked Port to Port minus air rather than Door to Door?  Otherwise, as  @mchell810 advised, leave it alone and wait.

• Like 1

Hi Jim, It does get a little confusing because Silversea recently changed the definition of Port to Port. So looking at the website now is not helpful as far as determining what you have booked. Did you opt for the non refundable deposit of 15%? If not, your deposit is refundable and, if you booked prior to the recent changes, then Blacklane transfers are included. You may have booked a refundable fair and removed the airline tickets so it looks like what Port to Port is now but was called Door to Door without air. If you kept the air, then it would include a day room if necessary and transfer to the ship/hotel.  Very confusing! 

• Like 2

@billc23 Makes an excellent point which I had not considered.  The definition of Port to Port changed around March 18th so if you booked before that you should have the transfers; if it was after that date then (officially) no transfers.

3 hours ago, jpalbny said:

Oops - I reread your post and I see you're talking about the Blacklane transfers. Mea culpa. I guess I'm no better than Silversea when it comes to attention to detail!

That's why the OR nurses count the sponges in and out!  😅

• Haha 1

Wait, what? We booked the old Port to Port and it doesn't include anything until we are on the ship- no air, no hotel, no transfers. Am I missing something? I thought transfers were only included on Door to Door (with or without airfare).

18 minutes ago, late2cruisin said:

Wait, what? We booked the old Port to Port and it doesn't include anything until we are on the ship- no air, no hotel, no transfers. Am I missing something? I thought transfers were only included on Door to Door (with or without airfare).

The old Port to Port never included transfers. The deposit was also non refundable - typically at 15% - but the price was a bit lower. Now the Port to Port deposit is refundable and does not have the pre cruise benefits. Port to Port always restricted cabin choice as it does currently. It is confusing and unfortunate that they used the same name.

3 hours ago, billc23 said:

The old Port to Port never included transfers. The deposit was also non refundable - typically at 15% - but the price was a bit lower. Now the Port to Port deposit is refundable and does not have the pre cruise benefits. Port to Port always restricted cabin choice as it does currently. It is confusing and unfortunate that they used the same name.

Yes, that's the way I understood it too. But someone said that if you booked the old port to port, you would have transfers included. The OP said that he booked port to port and his booking showed included transfers. Sounds like a glitch, or else he didn't actually book port to port. 

10 hours ago, late2cruisin said:

Yes, that's the way I understood it too. But someone said that if you booked the old port to port, you would have transfers included. The OP said that he booked port to port and his booking showed included transfers. Sounds like a glitch, or else he didn't actually book port to port. 

His information looked like mine. I booked Door to Door without flights.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

silversea.thumb.jpg.94f3ded10cfa49c29df83b3f77e40294.jpg

Well, this is my theory on why you got the free transfers.

Due to your status at CC and SS is a RCI company, my guess is that they decided to comp you the transfers as a way to acknowledge your business with RCI as a whole.

I would agree with @mchell810 to leave it alone to see whether would SS really give it to you but at the same time have a Plan B as a backup if things changes.

19 hours ago, Port Power said:

I agree to first checking your documentation.  Is it possible that you have been booked Port to Port minus air rather than Door to Door?  Otherwise, as  @mchell810 advised, leave it alone and wait.

Hmmm.. now thinking back about booking..   When I first booked the first leg was available as Port to Port but when I tried to book the two legs at the same time it would only give me the Door to Door.    I contacted my agent and he was able to book the full cruise as Port to Port.   

Maybe he did it by booking Door to Door and taking Air and Hotel Credit.   It doesn't say anything on either Silversea or my Agent's documentation.

18 hours ago, mchell810 said:

@billc23 Makes an excellent point which I had not considered.  The definition of Port to Port changed around March 18th so if you booked before that you should have the transfers; if it was after that date then (officially) no transfers.

That is a possibility, I booked the cruise in February. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Hmmm.. now thinking back about booking..   When I first booked the first leg was available as Port to Port but when I tried to book the two legs at the same time it would only give me the Door to Door.    I contacted my agent and he was able to book the full cruise as Port to Port.   

Maybe he did it by booking Door to Door and taking Air and Hotel Credit.   It doesn't say anything on either Silversea or my Agent's documentation.

Is your deposit refundable less the $250 pp admin fee??

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

This makes sense as the old P2P fare was not offered on all cruises.  After the change SS created 3 categories of booking: D2D and P2P offered on everything and the Essentials fare only offered on some cruises sailing in about a 6 month window.

3 hours ago, billc23 said:

Is your deposit refundable less the $250 pp admin fee??

THAT would answer the question. If your deposit is (partially) refundable, you didn't book the old Port to Port.

7 hours ago, agape01 said:

Well, this is my theory on why you got the free transfers.

Due to your status at CC and SS is a RCI company, my guess is that they decided to comp you the transfers as a way to acknowledge your business with RCI as a whole.

I would agree with @mchell810 to leave it alone to see whether would SS really give it to you but at the same time have a Plan B as a backup if things changes.

Hah, wouldn't THAT be nice! Although I'm guessing they are indeed Zenith with Celebrity, I think there's almost zero chance that they are getting that benefit (or any other benefit) from their Celebrity status.

10 minutes ago, late2cruisin said:

THAT would answer the question. If your deposit is (partially) refundable, you didn't book the old Port to Port.

Exactly! I asked that from the start. To me, the old P to P was to get a lower price and a non refundable deposit. If  one desires an upgraded room D to D is the only way to go.

1 minute ago, billc23 said:

Exactly! I asked that from the start. To me, the old P to P was to get a lower price and a non refundable deposit. If  one desires an upgraded room D to D is the only way to go.

I'm not sure what you mean by that last sentence. What does D to D vs. P to P give you in the way of upgrades? (Unless you're talking about the 2-category upgrade that is currently on promotion.)

55 minutes ago, late2cruisin said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that last sentence. What does D to D vs. P to P give you in the way of upgrades? (Unless you're talking about the 2-category upgrade that is currently on promotion.)

I could not book a Silver Suite as a P to P booking.

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

I could not book a Silver Suite as a P to P booking.

OK, got it. I did not think of a Silver Suite as an upgrade, just a much better (and more expensive) suite 😀