Beverage package

Wirewalker

Viking let us cancel the package after we realized that tours took up happy hour.  The package is not cancellable, but I think Viking was being nice to first time cruisers.

• Like 1

I rarely drink, mostly because I only like a few mixed cocktails (no beer or wine for me). And my husband likes a bourbon & diet coke, or Limoncello too. Since we would of both had to get it, for 22 days, we knew that it wasn't ever going to be worth it. We ended up paying maybe $100 total for the few bar drinks we got and since hubby was able to bring alcohol on board, he had his Limoncello for the trip and that was plenty.

And like @JerryInIL said, our cruise was very port intensive, with long days in port, so we often weren't back until late afternoon, just in time to get ready for dinner.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thekeifer1 said:

Thanks. They don't allow under 21 to drink. It's a European cruise so it is a weird policy. 

All it means is having to buy ashore and Viking missing out on two lots of bar sales

On 6/1/2024 at 4:34 AM, KBs mum said:

The rest of us can buy alcohol at 18 and Viking allow (unless policy has changed recently) all guests to drink alcohol

Our experience was that Viking would not allow the 18 year old we were travelling with to drink alcohol.

Seems strange that Viking’s policy for drinking alcohol is 21, when the majority of countries in the world is 18. Especially so when Norway’s minimum age is 18, albeit for spirits it’s 20

49 minutes ago, shipboy said:

Seems strange that Viking’s policy for drinking alcohol is 21, when the majority of countries in the world is 18. Especially so when Norway’s minimum age is 18, albeit for spirits it’s 20

What percentage of Viking's customer demographic is in their twenties, much less under 21? I suspect not enough for this to ever be a concern, nor ever a big enough issue to result in a policy change. IMHO 🤔

1 hour ago, Haqdeluxe said:

What percentage of Viking's customer demographic is in their twenties, much less under 21? I suspect not enough for this to ever be a concern, nor ever a big enough issue to result in a policy change. IMHO 🤔

Or to become a policy in the first place?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

Or to become a policy in the first place?

The only thing I can think of is they want to have a consistent policy across ships since they have some ports in the US. They should make it easier to add the SSBP to rooms with only one person who can buy it though (since the other person is "underage") - I can't think of any reason not to allow that. 

On 6/1/2024 at 1:49 AM, thekeifer1 said:

I am going on a Viking Cruise in the fall and will be taking a child who is under 21 (I guess technically an adult but not for the drinking age). How do they handle that with the beverage package? Do they make the cabin pay for 2 for the package? - I know they use the US drinking age.

IMHO, discuss this with Viking before you go. Contact them at tellus@vikingcruises.com. Be sure to include your booking number and a phone number where they can reach you. They will be able to answer all of your questions in regard to buying the drinks package for just one person in the cabin.

In the meantime, you may want to think about about if the package is really right for you -- unless, you aren't worried about breaking even.

Keep in mind:

• All coffees (except those made with spirits), tea and hot chocolate are free 24/7.

• The contents of your minibar is yours to consume. DV and above is replenished daily; V cabins may purchase additional contents.

• All soft drinks (sodas, bottled water, fruit juices at breakfast) and specific wines and beers are complimentary at meals, but are on you the rest of the time.

• Viking has a liberal BYO policy, no corkage fee in the bars or dining rooms and may be consumed anywhere on the ship (they will even supply glasses, ice and water).

• The drinks package does not include everything -- but it does cover soft drinks:

Ocean & Expedition: This Silver Spirits beverage package includes premium wines by the glass, house champagne by the glass, cocktails, aperitifs, and any drink up to $18, throughout the day and anywhere on the ship; The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing; 30% discount on premium beverages above $50 USD, and 50% discount for premium tasting events

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

IMHO, discuss this with Viking before you go. Contact them at tellus@vikingcruises.com. Be sure to include your booking number and a phone number where they can reach you. They will be able to answer all of your questions in regard to buying the drinks package for just one person in the cabin.

In the meantime, you may want to think about about if the package is really right for you -- unless, you aren't worried about breaking even.

Keep in mind:

• All coffees (except those made with spirits), tea and hot chocolate are free 24/7.

• The contents of your minibar is yours to consume. DV and above is replenished daily; V cabins may purchase additional contents.

• All soft drinks (sodas, bottled water, fruit juices at breakfast) and specific wines and beers are complimentary at meals, but are on you the rest of the time.

• Viking has a liberal BYO policy, no corkage fee in the bars or dining rooms and may be consumed anywhere on the ship (they will even supply glasses, ice and water).

• The drinks package does not include everything -- but it does cover soft drinks:

Ocean & Expedition: This Silver Spirits beverage package includes premium wines by the glass, house champagne by the glass, cocktails, aperitifs, and any drink up to $18, throughout the day and anywhere on the ship; The Chef’s Table premium wine pairing; 30% discount on premium beverages above $50 USD, and 50% discount for premium tasting events

I called and Viking’s response was the exact advice offered by CDNPolar above. They cannot do anything in advance on it. I’m supposed to go on the ship and talk to the bursar/beverage folks and see if it can be bought for one person since the other person is under 21. Viking said there was no guarantee that this would be allowed.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, thekeifer1 said:

The only thing I can think of is they want to have a consistent policy across ships since they have some ports in the US. They should make it easier to add the SSBP to rooms with only one person who can buy it though (since the other person is "underage") - I can't think of any reason not to allow that. 

They serve alcohol even if in the coastal waters of 'dry' countries, and on the Nile in a country where alcohol is frowned upon. 

A consistent policy would be to match the law of the country the ship is in the waters of. 

Absurd that a Brit, Kiwi or Aussie aged 20 can't have a drink with a meal when they will have likely been doing so from age 16 and buying their own for two years. 

Still, not a major difficulty to get round

9 hours ago, thekeifer1 said:

I called and Viking’s response was the exact advice offered by CDNPolar above. They cannot do anything in advance on it. I’m supposed to go on the ship and talk to the bursar/beverage folks and see if it can be bought for one person since the other person is under 21. Viking said there was no guarantee that this would be allowed.

Unfortunately, if you call instead of sending an email to tellus@vikingcruises.com, you're likely to get the answer you got.  The customer service representatives who respond to emails at this address are more knowledgeable, (much) more consistent, and generally able to actually help you.  Even though you've called, I'd still suggest sending an email, as per @Peregrina651's suggestion.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, aungrl said:

Unfortunately, if you call instead of sending an email to tellus@vikingcruises.com, you're likely to get the answer you got.  The customer service representatives who respond to emails at this address are more knowledgeable, (much) more consistent, and generally able to actually help you.  Even though you've called, I'd still suggest sending an email, as per @Peregrina651's suggestion.

Anxious to see what the response is when the email is sent.

We experienced this with a friend that has sailed Viking over 15 times now and she knows her way around Viking both email and phone, and her very consistent response was you can only address this onboard.  Viking will not sell the package to one person in a cabin that is inhabited by two people in advance of embarkation.

Highly likely that they will approve onboard if the proper people are approached, but I will be very surprised if this is dealt with prior to being onboard.  It must be assessed by the appropriate crew with the appropriate authority onboard.

This is also not the first time that this has been discussed on CC and others have reported the same thing - no approval before boarding, but can be done once onboard.

15 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Anxious to see what the response is when the email is sent.

We experienced this with a friend that has sailed Viking over 15 times now and she knows her way around Viking both email and phone, and her very consistent response was you can only address this onboard.  Viking will not sell the package to one person in a cabin that is inhabited by two people in advance of embarkation.

Highly likely that they will approve onboard if the proper people are approached, but I will be very surprised if this is dealt with prior to being onboard.  It must be assessed by the appropriate crew with the appropriate authority onboard.

This is also not the first time that this has been discussed on CC and others have reported the same thing - no approval before boarding, but can be done once onboard.

Sounds like there are enough data points out there that confirm the only way to do it is once you're on board - but if @thekeifer1does end up writing Tellus, I'd love to hear if they do anything in advance, as well.

On 6/3/2024 at 6:49 PM, aungrl said:

I emailed at your suggestion. Instead of responding by email, they called me 😂

1 hour ago, thekeifer1 said:

I emailed at your suggestion. Instead of responding by email, they called me 😂

And?? What did they say? Did you get what you needed?

BTW, the CC veterans are not surprised that you got a phone call. Much faster than days of e-mails back and forth.

23 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

And?? What did they say? Did you get what you needed?

BTW, the CC veterans are not surprised that you got a phone call. Much faster than days of e-mails back and forth.

I had already called before (see above). I was specially told here that calling wasn’t what I should have done and that emailing would get me better information. I was reporting back as people said they were interested - an email had the exact same effect as a phone call. It’s a phone call either way. 

9 minutes ago, thekeifer1 said:

I had already called before (see above). I was specially told here that calling wasn’t what I should have done and that emailing would get me better information. I was reporting back as people said they were interested - an email had the exact same effect as a phone call. It’s a phone call either way. 

I think you've somewhat misunderstood. When you call Viking, you will be connected to the 'general' support system. Tellus@ is a higher-echelon group, staffed with senior and more knowledgeable people who are capable of dealing with more complex situations.

You can't call Tellus@ - you have to start the conversation by email. They usually call back - part of the enhanced service.

The advice you were being given was on how to connect to the support team at Viking that is more likely to solve your issue or at least explain it coherently. 🍺🥌

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

I think you've somewhat misunderstood. When you call Viking, you will be connected to the 'general' support system. Tellus@ is a higher-echelon group, staffed with senior and more knowledgeable people who are capable of dealing with more complex situations.

You can't call Tellus@ - you have to start the conversation by email. They usually call back - part of the enhanced service.

The advice you were being given was on how to connect to the support team at Viking that is more likely to solve your issue or at least explain it coherently. 🍺🥌

Exactly!

It took us some time to realize that calling in and emailing got you a completely different response from a different "level" of knowledge.

I consider emailing tellus as starting at an escalated level of customer service.  We email about many things now and are always pleased with our response and if not pleased, we feel that at least it is the correct answer.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, thekeifer1 said:

You seem to be focusing on how the exchange of information took place while what the rest of us want to know is if you got a different answer than what the call center gave you.

Why are we so interested in what was said? Because it builds the collective wisdom. It is a way of paying it forward.

• Like 1

Probably not a situation that happens all that often...with minimum age to cruise on Viking being 18, I really don't see a lot of under 21 guests on board anyway.  

8 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

Exactly!

It took us some time to realize that calling in and emailing got you a completely different response from a different "level" of knowledge.

I consider emailing tellus as starting at an escalated level of customer service.  We email about many things now and are always pleased with our response and if not pleased, we feel that at least it is the correct answer.

This, to me, is the key..."even if we aren't pleased, it's the correct answer."  That's the big difference.

• Like 2

Very disappointed with the choices of wine by glass on our transatlantic cruise in March with the SSP.  Very low caliber of wine by the glass offered.  Would have been better off just buying the wine by the bottle instead; especially since we don't drink wine at lunch or have any type of drink during the day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hutch1994 said:

Very disappointed with the choices of wine by glass on our transatlantic cruise in March with the SSP.  Very low caliber of wine by the glass offered.  Would have been better off just buying the wine by the bottle instead; especially since we don't drink wine at lunch or have any type of drink during the day.

This is a question my DH asked when we booked but he didn't really get a clear answer. 

We like good wine with dinner (not fancy, expensive bottles but not the cheapest, either) so we were told, you can bring your own with no corkage fee.  But carrying 14 bottles of wine on-board doesn't sound appealing unless we were visiting wine producing countries and a pain, even then.

Can anyone share some examples of what is typically "included" and available?   Is it just a white and a red?  Any specifics would be helpful....

And further, what is typically available if you've purchased the Silver Spirits Package?  Is there an available wine menu somewhere to actually see some examples?

Thank you in advance.

• Like 1

Each day a red and a white is designated as "the included" lunch/dinner wine.  House sparkling wine is also available.  The majority of "stations" have these wines of the day for included.

We have learned that if you like a certain wine, and it is not the wine of the day, you can ask your server for your favorite, and they will try to find it.

We just got off a Viking Ocean cruise.  The included wines were basically the ones we've had on many cruises before.  A Chilean Cabernet, a Marius Grenache-Syrah, a German Red Blend (Volmer), a Portugal Red, a Spain Riojo, a Spanish Tempranillo, and maybe a couple more reds I cannot remember.  The whites seemed to be Chardonnay, Sauv Blanc, Pinot Grigio, and some other white blends (wan't paying much attention to whites).  Enjoyed the Cab and the German Red the best and got them every meal regardless if they were designated as the "daily" wine.

We used to get SSBP but on this cruise, it appeared the SSBP people were mostly cocktail drinkers (as observed, the SSBP people get wines served in a stemmed wine glass while the included wine drinkers get a non-stemmed glass).  We saw hardly any stemmed glasses but lots of cocktails.  It appears that the affect of the post-COVID change reducing the quality and availability of wines available on SSBP has caused the perhaps desired affect.  We are not cocktail drinkers and thus SSBP is a waste for us, as for us, the included wines are not that much different from the wines by the glass available on SSBP.

• Like 1