Time to see a Broadway show on an excursion from the Volandam

Have a Canada/New England cruise on the Volandam that pulls into NYC at 7:00 am and departs 6:00 pm. Is it too close to see a matinee Broadway show?

18 hours ago, powlan said:

Have a Canada/New England cruise on the Volandam that pulls into NYC at 7:00 am and departs 6:00 pm. Is it too close to see a matinee Broadway show?

What day of the week is it? Wednesdays and Saturdays tend to be 2pm matinees (although there are a lot of 1pm ones) and Sundays are 3pm matinees (and some can be on Saturdays as well). 

This will be day and show specific but it might be doable at 1pm (check run time of show), will be pretty tight at 2pm, and most likely not doable at 3pm. 

Which cruiseport?

If Manhattan, as long as the show is done by 5PM you could even walk back from most Broadway theaters in about 35 minutes or less

For Brooklyn or Bayonne you'd need more time

Posted (edited)

I can't find a cruise on the Volendam that calls on NY City in 2024. I see one that's in NY on October 7, 2025, which is a Tuesday...and there normally aren't Tuesday matinees.

Edit: OK...I found one that per cruisetimetables.com departs Montreal and is in NY on October 16 2024.For some reason it's not on the official port schedule. That's a Wednesday so there will be matinees.

Edited by njhorseman

The Volandam is in NY on Wednesday October 15 and there are numerous matinees. Some start at 1:00, some at 2:00 and some a bit later. Shows are anywhere from 1 and 1/2 - 2 and 1/2 hours. I'm pretty sure that it will be docked in Manhattan. That being said, I think that we'll just go for a good pastrami sandwich at Katzs..

9 hours ago, powlan said:

The Volandam is in NY on Wednesday October 15 and there are numerous matinees. Some start at 1:00, some at 2:00 and some a bit later. Shows are anywhere from 1 and 1/2 - 2 and 1/2 hours. I'm pretty sure that it will be docked in Manhattan. That being said, I think that we'll just go for a good pastrami sandwich at Katzs..

Plenty of shows are 3 hours long, make sure you check run time before you assume a show will be shorter

15 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

I was planning on eating at Katz's till I read the reviews.  Big portions, dry bread, and surly service.  Wish Carnegie Deli was still in Manhattan.

Big portions shouldn't be an issue.  Dry bread?  I've never heard that or had that there.  And the service is part of the atmosphere. 

Plenty of other delis still in NYC

You should be able to find running times and schedules in many places.   I use the TodayTix app.   You can also use the website:  Performance Times for Broadway Shows in NYC - Broadway.org - Presented by The Broadway League

Six is a shorter show and ends before 4:30 p.m, giving you enough time.  Hamilton ends before 4 p.m.  Book of Mormon and Chicago end a few minutes later.   Assuming that you are docked in Manhattan, this gives you plenty of time to return to the ship.

I would recommend a lot of other things before I would recommend having a large sandwich at a deli with high prices and rude service, even if there is a famous movie scene associated with the deli.   But, you don't know me.   Maybe you want to find out if other people who only have one day in New York would have chosen that experience.

On 6/7/2024 at 9:53 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

I was planning on eating at Katz's till I read the reviews.  Big portions, dry bread, and surly service.  Wish Carnegie Deli was still in Manhattan.

Not sure where you read that about dry bread. Carnegie always had the same portions if not bigger and far more surley service. Katz's quality wise was and always has been better than Carnegie was. It's one of the few tourist traps that that even hardened New Yorkers still don't consider a tourist trap because of how good it is. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, princeton123211 said:

Not sure where you read that about dry bread.

It's the old " I'm going to focus on one negative review and ignore 30,000 good ones". 🙄

In almost 39,000 Google reviews  Katz's has a rating of 4.5 out of 5.

I don't pay a whole lot of attention to reviews but I do pay attention to my personal experience...and I've been eating Katz's food for over 70 years. I don't live in the city any more and I don't even get into the city very often, but a couple of times a year I get a shipment of Katz's food delivered to my home and I'm never disappointed...other than being disappointed that they haven't found a way to ship some authentic NY City attitude in the box with the pastrami, corned beef and pickles.

I actually find their bread to be the weakest component of their sandwiches, not because it's dry but because it's too thinly sliced to stand up under the weight of a good portion of Katz's pastrami...and also I'm in the apparent minority of pastrami aficionados who prefers seeded rye to the unseeded bread used by Katz's.

• Like 2

On 6/7/2024 at 6:53 PM, Dancing Shoes said:

Wife also recommended eating at Carmines. My favorite NY Italian restaurant. Then put me on a gurney back to the ship. 

13 hours ago, powlan said:

Wife also recommended eating at Carmines. My favorite NY Italian restaurant. Then put me on a gurney back to the ship. 

Carmines is a fairly mediocre chain by NYC standards-- PLENTY of much better options. Don Angie, Carbone (although tough to get a reservation), Emilio's Ballato (no reservations but takes some planning to get there earlier), Rao's (nearly impossible to pull off as an out of towner), I'd even put John's of 12th Street (which is the weakest link of this list food wise but has tremendous atmosphere) as better.  

• Like 1

On 6/10/2024 at 6:03 PM, powlan said:

Carmines is very popular with tourists for their portions and prices.  Not popular with locals who disdain the food.  SO much better out there for Italian, even some with big portions and reasonable prices!

Update:  I have heard like njhorseman says that Katz's deli meat is the best.  We have a friend who lives in Oregon that has their pastrami shipped in for parties.  No lie.......I just want a good sandwich.