New Cagney’s Menu…

It appears Cagney’s has an updated menu:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Fleet_Cagneys_Dinner-Dessert-Mobile-Menu_052824.pdf

A couple significant changes:

Specialty dining packages were listed as a starter, soup/sald, entree and dessert. 
The new menu gets rid of the starter/soup separation, and just has appetizers. So likely getting one less course on dining packages. 

Prior menu had 4 starters, 2 soups and 3 salads. New menu has 7 items total. Same 2 soups, beef steak tomato removed, ahi tuna tartar removed, oysters Rockefeller removed. Thick cut bacon added.  

In the steaks, they removed option of a porterhouse for a supplement. 

In the featured selections, they removed the pork chop. In the seafood, they removed the trout. 

So loss of 3 appetizers, addition of 1. Loss of 3 entrees with no additions. 

Also sides reduced: No more potatoes au gratin, no more onion rings, no more zucchini.  So 3 items removed with no replacements.  

And finally, they removed a dessert. 

So seems like a 10-20% reduction in the menu, and changing it from a 4 course meal to a 3 course meal for dining packages. 

• Thanks 9

seem like its a healthier menu.  I bet if you ask nicely, you can still get a soup/salad as well as an appetizer.  Looks like the new sides are just easier to have on hand.  Ever get cold and hard Potatoes Au Gratin?  That is pretty much a make on demand dish, the others can b made up in huge batches and then stored.  As for the removal of the pork chop and trout, maybe those were just not as popular as you would think.  I can cook a pork chop or trout at home, when I go out to eat, I want something that I don't cook.  Cagney's is not one of my favorite restaurants anyway.  The last three times, food was bland and room temperature.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

https://www.ncl.com/sites/default/files/Fleet_Cagneys_Dinner-Dessert-Mobile-Menu_052824.pdf

Specialty dining packages were listed as a starter, soup/sald, entree and dessert. 
The new menu gets rid of the starter/soup separation, and just has appetizers. So likely getting one less course on dining packages. 

Prior menu had 4 starters, 2 soups and 3 salads. New menu has 7 items total. Same 2 soups, beef steak tomato removed, ahi tuna tartar removed, oysters Rockefeller removed. Thick cut bacon added.  

In the featured selections, they removed the pork chop. In the seafood, they removed the trout. 

Also sides reduced: No more potatoes au gratin, no more onion rings, no more zucchini.  So 3 items removed with no replacements.  

So seems like a 10-20% reduction in the menu, and changing it from a 4 course meal to a 3 course meal for dining packages. 

Of course we don't know how much of anything removed was actually ordered consistently.

Restaurants change their menus periodically, and the slower items always are removed or are reduced.

I liked the pork chop, but it was essentially the same as in Le Bistro.

The Ahi Tuna is available in Ocean Blue.  We had it last week.

Trout is maybe not all that in demand anymore?  I never saw it ordered, so I don't know the serving size.  And it was never going to be "fresh" except maybe from NY or Boston ports.

The 20 oz Porterhouse is simply too much meat for 90% of the customers.

I didn't finish my 16 oz prime rib last week.  I suspect it was larger than 16 oz, but we also noted Cagney's was not that crowded that night.

I had zucchini last week in Cagney's.  Guess I was one of the last. 

The bacon sounds interesting, as I don't recall seeing it in other specialties before.

The one less dessert won't bother us, we never get past the OMG and the chocolate cake.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, stellarose33 said:

heard they had vegetarian but don't see if on the menu?

In our experience Cagney's has not had a vegetarian option. Ocean Blue has the cauliflower steak and Le Bistro has the Vegetable Napoleon. I usually get a bunch of sides. One time I just ordered the pizza from the child's menu. And I was very happy!

• Like 1

Yes, it seems they mostly removed the less popular entrees— they save money by not having to stock items rarely ordered, by simplifying things.  

Cost cutting is most evident in the appetizers — getting rid of tuna and oysters, replacing with bacon. 

Personally, I’m not hugely impacted but I would have ordered both the tuna tartar and the onion rings as a side. 

9 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Of course we don't know how much of anything removed was actually ordered consistently.

and that's what has me wondering why all the teeth-gnashing over the menu cuts.  Sure it's a drop in options, but how often did any of the people complaining about fewer choices actually order the items removed?

Of more interest to me, based on the wording of what you were previously allowed on an SDP credit - were the apps, salads and soups previously combined like this?  Looking at a menu posted to another website - NO.  This may signal a change in THAT offering - one item from appetizers, one entree, one dessert rather than getting one soup/salad, one app, one entree, one dessert.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, hallux said:

and that's what has me wondering why all the teeth-gnashing over the menu cuts.  Sure it's a drop in options, but how often did any of the people complaining about fewer choices actually order the items removed?

Of more interest to me, based on the wording of what you were previously allowed on an SDP credit - were the apps, salads and soups previously combined like this?  Looking at a menu posted to another website - NO.  This may signal a change in THAT offering - one item from appetizers, one entree, one dessert rather than getting one soup/salad, one app, one entree, one dessert.

Yes… seems they are changing it from an included 4 course meal to a 3 course meal. 

Posted (edited)

It appears the Le Bistro menu has been updated as well.  It also now combined Appetizers, Soups and Salads into one group.  Selections that have been removed include the pan seared bay scallops (appetizer)  , roasted maple leaf duck breast (entree) and marrons et clementines (dessert).

No new menu items have been added.

Edited by Pablo Diablo

55 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

I'll really miss the oysters and the tuna.  The variety of having a four course meal instead of just three courses will be missed, but I'll get over it.  I really enjoy potatoes au gratin, but as someone else noted, they sometimes were served cold, not very appetizing.

51 minutes ago, shof515 said:

they used to be two different sizes for the Filet Mignon. new menu only shows one size

It still shows 2 sizes.

32 minutes ago, Panhandle Couple said:

Restaurants change their menus periodically, and the slower items always are removed or are reduced.

I liked the pork chop, but it was essentially the same as in Le Bistro.

The Ahi Tuna is available in Ocean Blue.  We had it last week.

Trout is maybe not all that in demand anymore?  I never saw it ordered, so I don't know the serving size.  And it was never going to be "fresh" except maybe from NY or Boston ports.

The 20 oz Porterhouse is simply too much meat for 90% of the customers.

I didn't finish my 16 oz prime rib last week.  I suspect it was larger than 16 oz, but we also noted Cagney's was not that crowded that night.

I had zucchini last week in Cagney's.  Guess I was one of the last. 

The bacon sounds interesting, as I don't recall seeing it in other specialties before.

The one less dessert won't bother us, we never get past the OMG and the chocolate cake.

Seafood is never “fresh”. Federal,law requires it to be frozen to a certain temp, and held at that temp for a period of time before being sold to eliminate “bugs”. 

Food Republic menu is updated as well.  Presumably, NCL updated (or in the process of updating) all Specialty Dining restaurant menus.

For those interested, removed from FR's menu are firecracker shrimp (this was a favorite 😞),  tuna poke nachos, lamb kalbi gui (chops), ramen w/BBQ pork belly, dynamite roll & spicy pacific salmon roll,   

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, havoc315 said:

Yes… seems they are changing it from an included 4 course meal to a 3 course meal. 

I always ordered to apps and no soup/salad in the past. No change in dining package.

Is there a link to a change to the dining package? Or is it a bunch of poor assumptions. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Where I most liked the four-course menu was La Cucina: antipasto, pasta, main, dessert, a typical menu in Italy. One time I had a new server who didn't understand this and served the pasta and the main together. I had him take the main back until I was ready for it.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Pablo Diablo said:

It appears the Le Bistro menu has been updated as well.  It also now combined Appetizers, Soups and Salads into one group.  Selections that have been removed include the pan seared bay scallops (appetizer)  , roasted maple leaf duck breast (entree) and marrons et clementines (dessert).

No new menu items have been added.

10 minutes ago, Pablo Diablo said:

Food Republic menu is updated as well.  Presumably, NCL updated (or in the process of updating) all Specialty Dining restaurant menus.

For those interested, removed from FR's menu are firecracker shrimp (this was a favorite 😞),  tuna poke nachos, lamb kalbi gui (chops), ramen w/BBQ pork belly, dynamite roll & spicy pacific salmon roll,   

Historically, NCL has done major updated menus annually,,, normally with the launch of new ships. These menus have been more or less the same since the major post-pandemic update. 

Edited by BirdTravels

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Pablo Diablo said:

Maybe so. But the Le Bistro and Food Republic menus have just been updated in the past two weeks as I had only recently printed out the now-old menus for my upcoming cruise.  Also, Food Republic's menu was previously updated in Jan. 2024.  So, it's seems the current revisions are more than just the "annual" update and in line with the menu downsizing we've seen recently for the MDR menues.

Minor updates occur all the time. We cruise 5-7 times a year and will see changes on most cruises. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Haha 1

I just got off the Gem this morning (Boston to Bermuda/Bar Harbor) and this is the menu we had. We went to Cagney's last night and earlier in the week.

We were told by the waiter: You can pick 2 appetizers, 1 entree, 2 sides, 1 dessert.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

22 minutes ago, zqvol said:

Seafood is never “fresh”. Federal,law requires it to be frozen to a certain temp, and held at that temp for a period of time before being sold to eliminate “bugs”. 

Not on the Gulf Coast.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, hallux said:

how often did any of the people complaining about fewer choices actually order the items removed?

I ordered the onion rings every time I went to Cagney's.  They were very good in April.

• Like 3