NOORDAM March 15 lifeboat drill

anley

Did anyone else notice the number of people at the lifeboat drill without lifejackets.

Also the number of men in the front rows ?

RULE OF THE SEA ALWAYS WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST

This proves to me that the people handling the drill are not properly trained

or just don't care.

The fire on the princess cruise is a vivid reminder that the lifeboat drill is

IMPORTANT!!!!

I agree that the lifeboat drill is not to be taken lightly by the crew nor the passengers. There is no excuse for the crew not making certain that everyone wears their life jacket properly at the drill. However, in our 9 cruises in 5 different lines, we never saw just women and children in front.

Perhaps the rule is enforced only in the event of an actual abandon ship order.

Did anyone else notice the number of people at the lifeboat drill without lifejackets.

or just don't care.

IMPORTANT!!!!

I'm sure you are telling it like it was on the Noordam, but that comes as a real surprise. I've never seen anyone at any HAL muster without a life jacket and every person is checked that it is fastened properly or shown how to do it. Also, men are always told to move to the back and if they don't they are guided to the proper place. The drill has never been over until everyone has been checked and rechecked.

My only gripe with the lifeboat drill is the number of times you couldn't get onto the deck to begin the drill without having the photographers take your picture! They blocked the entrances and then during the drill walked back and forth taking pictures, too.

Somehow it took away from the seriousness of the event. Does HAL have to allow them everywhere?

Dear everybody who answered,I guess there is a FIRST TIME for everything.

I've cruised 6 times on 4 different lines and this was the first time I noticed

such blatant disregard for the rules. What would have happened in a real emergency would be unthinkable!!l

My only gripe with the lifeboat drill is the number of times you couldn't get onto the deck to begin the drill without having the photographers take your picture! They blocked the entrances and then during the drill walked back and forth taking pictures, too.

Somehow it took away from the seriousness of the event. Does HAL have to allow them everywhere?

I couldn't agree with you more.

Shouldn't the photographers be taking part in the drill as well? It does detract from the seriousness of the dril. I would also think they would be asking themselves...If the ship is sinking how an I getting off?

I agree that the lifeboat drill is not to be taken lightly by the crew nor the passengers. There is no excuse for the crew not making certain that everyone wears their life jacket properly at the drill. However, in our 9 cruises in 5 different lines, we never saw just women and children in front.

Perhaps the rule is enforced only in the event of an actual abandon ship order.

I have never heard that men have to stay in the back. I'm taken 5 cruises. I'll be sure to listen:rolleyes: this time.

Our drill on the Oosterdam was taken very seriously. It has been on all 4 HAL cruises I've been on. You were on the Noordam, so I am not doubting your account, it's just very surprising to hear. You are correct, such a drill should be taken very seriously.

Marie

Life Boat drills on HAL are taken VERY seriously....always have been. If a guest is not present, they are contacted about. HAL's are the very best of all drills we have had on any cruiseline.

As to why someone does not have a lifejacket on.......Please do not always judge that the drill is being run in a sloppy manner. You may not know something that those in charge do.

There are sometimes very legitimate reasons and the person has been excused by the Officer in charge of their area from wearing it. As long as this Officer is sure the passengers knows the proper way to put it on in the case of true emergency, he will allow them to avoid what could be suffering pain or extreme discomfort during a drill.

Gets us back to making assumptions when we do not know 'the whole story'.

I couldn't agree with you more.

Shouldn't the photographers be taking part in the drill as well? It does detract from the seriousness of the dril. I would also think they would be asking themselves...If the ship is sinking how an I getting off?

Crew members have their own drills and they have them often. They drill for all sorts of things including 'man overboard' and fire.

The lifeboat drills on the Hal is one of things that has impressed us. On other cruise lines it has been not been taken serious, but with Hal it was. On both our cruises Zaandam and Veendam you had to have your life jacket on and tied correctly. Men had to be in the back. Yes photographers were there, but not in the way. On the Veendam in Nov. 05, we had the fire alarm go off twice in less than 24 hours. Fortunately every thing turned out okay. The one thing that did surprise me, was the lack of concern when the first one went off, we were in the dining room at the time and everything went on as if it wasn't sounding. Finally the captain came on with an annoucement. Happy to say we didn't have to respond, but I was wondering why things didn't at least slow down, maybe that was a way of keeping us from getting upset. Good job by all then.

The lifeboat drills on the Hal is one of things that has impressed us. On other cruise lines it has been not been taken serious, but with Hal it was. On both our cruises Zaandam and Veendam you had to have your life jacket on and tied correctly. Men had to be in the back. Yes photographers were there, but not in the way. On the Veendam in Nov. 05, we had the fire alarm go off twice in less than 24 hours. Fortunately every thing turned out okay. The one thing that did surprise me, was the lack of concern when the first one went off, we were in the dining room at the time and everything went on as if it wasn't sounding. Finally the captain came on with an annoucement. Happy to say we didn't have to respond, but I was wondering why things didn't at least slow down, maybe that was a way of keeping us from getting upset. Good job by all then.

You can be absolutely, positively, unquestionably certain the Captain had complete confidence that the situation was well under control and required no action by the guests. Whatever crew were assigned to be handling the situation had been trained and drilled and trained and drilled again and again and he was sure they were fully informing him and he approved of their actions. He was convinced they were successful in their assignment.

Bet the Farm on that One!!!! :)

SAFETY for crew and passengers will Always be first for every Captain, as well it should be.

I believe that the real reason for women and children up front is not because of chivalry - after all, there are more than enough boats for everyone nowadays...

...it's because most men are taller and most women and children are shorter therefore we are asked to arrange ourselves tallest at the rear and shortest at the front so that all can see the "proper way to wear a lifevest" demonstration.

I too was appalled at the lack of respect and attention paid to the drill aboard Noordam. Pix before and after the drill are fine, but I don't find that the photographer's posing folks for pictured during roll-call helps the situation at all. I really wish that HAL would get their photographers under control...

I don't know what lifeboat you were assigned to; my experience at lifeboat #3 was decidedly different.

We were arranged women and children to the front; when men came later they were moved to the back, even in the crowded conditions. Everybody was checked that their jacket was on properly, and the stewards fixed those that were not (dumb RuthC forgot kyro's experience and had her's on right :rolleyes: ).

There was an officer pacing up and down in front of at least the first three boats demanding silence.

I found the drill the usual serious exercise.

Crew members have their own drills and they have them often. They drill for all sorts of things including 'man overboard' and fire.

They also use the inflatable rafts you see on deck in the white canisters. The only crewmen in the life boat with the passengers is the boat officer and the helmsman.

I too was on the Veendam in November, when the first alarm went off i was just getting off the elevator and was very surprised that no-one seem to notice anything untowards in the dining room, the second alarm went off in the middle of the night- my first thought - it was my mobile phone [ UK time], then i realised it was the captain speaking, i was suddenly wide awake, had to rush to the bathroom , i grabbed some clothes, topping it of with my bath robe- forgot about shoes, my passport and jewelry , opened the cabin door and was very surprised to find only about 4 people stood near their cabin doors, it was not long before the captain re-assured everyone that the fire was out . I just couldnt sleep anymore, believe me as a solo traveller i was very shook up and it took many hours for me to feel calm again, On the 9 cruises i have taken - the drill has been taken very seriously and everyone has been checked that they are present, also women and children were at the front. I have every confidence in Hal.

or just don't care.

IMPORTANT!!!!

I think those rules about women and children first are antiquated. Yes, women should be in the front of the line IF they have young children with them ... to ensure the youngsters don't get separated from their parent ... but a single woman, in good physical health, has no reason to be ahead of an elderly gentleman who is in fragile health. I'd prefer to see him board the lifeboat first ...

As for lifejackets, if someone doesn't have time to get back to their cabin for a lifejacket, they should have plenty of spares up on deck to give them. No reason someone should be at the drill without one. That's the crew's failing to have allowed it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Has anyone here ever actually bought a photo of themselves wearing their life jackets? Is that a photo anyone would really want to have????

Yes, me. What can I say? Sometimes I do really stupid things. :(

And, no ... it is not a photo I show off to others ... and also no, you don't want to know what I paid for it. :(

I purchased this photo on one of my first cruises. I always purchase ONE ship taken photo on each of my cruises (the TA usually gives me a credit voucher good for one photo ... so I use that). I also noticed on my recent Amsterdam cruise, however, that they didn't have photographers at the drill ... in some respects a good thing.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Chivalry is an appropriate word. But the truth is you never know how an individual in a real emergency will respond. It's know as stress response. One person may be noble and selfless while another may push an old lady and a child out of the way to save his/her own ass. I wonder if I would be the latter:eek:

Also remember, the ship is a dictatorship and one's allegiance to that rulership would be tested also.

Do I have a future as a psychologist? Those guys make enough money to live on a HAL ship:cool:

Mark....

On one of our lifeboat drills, I arrived at the muster station and found three women at the back leaning against the wall. About that time the crew member that was responsible for organizing and checking attendance at that station announced that women and children (as if there were any children onboard) should be in the front. One of the ladies announced that she was comfortable right where she was and had no intention of moving. On another drill, the crew member came to the back and asked a lady to step to the front. She informed him that in an emergency she would be in the front row, but for now she was going to stay in her shady spot at the back!

I never, ever saw a passenger without a lifejacket on Prinsendam or any other cruise I have been on.

Not to be a rebel or anything I just think its personl preferance. I have not gone to the drill on my last 4 crusies. The directions are cleary posted in the stateroom on what to do in case of an emergency. They are also televised on the TV through out the whole crusie. So on 3/4 on the noordam I did not go neither did my brother. Nobody comes and finds you and from what I heard they do check people off but I dont think it means anything. We were never contacted about it at all for not being in attendence.

Again just my prefrence. I have been on many crusies were I have gone and they are all the same. Plus you can hear the drill and the directions clearly sitting on your stateroom balcony.

Not to be a rebel or anything I just think its personl preferance. I have not gone to the drill on my last 4 crusies. The directions are cleary posted in the stateroom on what to do in case of an emergency. They are also televised on the TV through out the whole crusie. So on 3/4 on the noordam I did not go neither did my brother. Nobody comes and finds you and from what I heard they do check people off but I dont think it means anything. We were never contacted about it at all for not being in attendence.

Again just my prefrence. I have been on many crusies were I have gone and they are all the same. Plus you can hear the drill and the directions clearly sitting on your stateroom balcony.

Yankee--

I had respect for your opinions until you posted that...

:(

Just because you got away with being too self-centered or lazy to go to boat drill doesn't make it right.

I hope you have a great time on your next RCCL cruise...

:cool:

As for lifejackets, if someone doesn't have time to get back to their cabin for a lifejacket, they should have plenty of spares up on deck to give them. No reason someone should be at the drill without one. That's the crew's failing to have allowed it.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I provided the underline in the above quote.

Here is an example of why there might be a reason for a guest to be at drill not wearing their life jacket.

I carried mine with me. I did not attend without it. We have been on well over 40+ HAL cruises. I know how to wear the lifejacket.

I had open heart surgery a short time before the particular cruise in question.

For that surgery, they slit my chest open from my clavicle to the base of my sternum. They then spread all the ribs to gain access to the heart.

In closing after the surgery, the place wires to hold the sternum in place for it to heal.

Got the picture that it could be considered a little on the sore side?

I can't speak for anyone else but I had a plenty sore chest.

When I tried to put on my lifejacket I was in pain....

When I explained this to the Officer in Charge, he used common sense and sensitivity. He knew us from former cruises. He knew I was well versed in the proper way to wear the life jacket.

He (and I) saw absolutely no need for me to stand in pain when it was not necessary.

In the slight chance of an emergency, I would suffer the pain in order to not jeopardize my (or anyone else's) safety.

(Just to head off the next challenge......I would never have been so stupid to have endured such a serious surgery and cruise/travel prior to having full approval of my cardiologist and surgeons.)

So, as I wrote earlier.......there are good reasons you would have no way of knowing.

Even now, there are some days when the life jacket is very uncomfortable on me and I ask permission to not be required to wear it during drill.

Archived