Is July too hot for Greece? Best time to cruise Greece?

JSR

We are looking at  cruise around the Greek islands. Is July too hot? Crowded? 
we can not go in May but otherwise open. Any suggestions to the best time of year in general? Thanks 

Posted (edited)

Ive been in mid May, mid Sept, and first week Oct.  All 3 were comfortable tmperatures for touring around. 

Unfortunately we hit a bad storm in Oct. Heavy rain and high wind EVERY day but one.  Really spoiled the trip but a storm can happen any time. But having said that ..... I wouldn't choose to sail that late in the season again.

My next trip is mid Sept (Italy not Greece). Kids are in school, warm but not too hot.   

Edited by mapleleaves

Greece certainly gets more than its share of awful heat waves and it can happen in June, July, August, etc.  One never knows!   The odds of less hear are much better if you travel in April, May, October, etc.  

We will be back in late August/early September and are keeping our fingers crossed.  We have been in Athens when it was soooo hot (over 115 f) that most folks stayed indoor (with A/C) until the sun went down (when it was still hot).  

We were last in Athens in early May, and the weather was beautiful.  But there are no guarantees.

Hank

"Too hot" is totally subjective.  What does that mean to you? It appears you are from New Mexico...but I know the weather varies there.

When we last visited Athens, it was late July, and it hit 100. 2 of our 4 thought it fine, two thought it too hot.

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

"Too hot" is totally subjective.  What does that mean to you? It appears you are from New Mexico...but I know the weather varies there.

When we last visited Athens, it was late July, and it hit 100. 2 of our 4 thought it fine, two thought it too hot.

You made me chuckle. 100 is way to hot for me. (We live in the mountains) 

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

100 fine?   Too much Ouzo ::)  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, JSR said:

You made me chuckle. 100 is way to hot for me. (We live in the mountains) 

I have worked in multiple layers of dark clothes at 110. Yes, as I get older, it's not easier. But I survived. 

Again,  it's subjective. 

Posted (edited)

I cruised on Celebrity Infinity June 15 to 22 this year. Athens was 35°C/95°F. On the islands it was around 32°C/90°F each day. We had Mykonos and Hydra cancelled because of high winds so we couldn't tender. Mykonos was replaced with Bodrum, Turkey and Hydra was replaced with Nafplio, Greece. They were also in the mid 30°C/90°F's. It was crowded everywhere except Bodrum and Nafplio as we were the only ship at both places. At the other ports (Santorini, Rhodes and Kusadasi) we were one of a number of ships in port. Athens was very crowded.

Edited by PurpleTraveller

16 hours ago, JSR said:

Crowded?

In recent years, European areas, towns, cities and islands have become more and more popular meaning they are busier than ever, sometimes uncomfortably so.Expect crowds everywhere you go, although off season dates will be quieter ( ie less crowded but not actually quiet) than peak season.  and weather is becoming more and more difficult to forecast. 

This summer, once again very high temps in Greece have forced the temporary  closure of outdoor monuments and sites during the hottest hours of the day, some days authorities advised residents and visitors to stay home, and a small number of tourist died from heat related illness when hiking during the hottest hours.

On 7/10/2024 at 5:42 PM, JSR said:

we can not go in May but otherwise open. Any suggestions to the best time of year in general? Thanks 

Just got back from one last week.  Usually go in May, but the itinerary I wanted was not offered until end of June into July.  Temps were 95-105 - hot but doable.  Be prepared for hot temps, high humidity, very little shade and possible strong winds in the Cycladic isnads particularly.

We went to Greece in May (I know you mentioned that is not an option), but our guide had a great point about visiting Greece in the summer heat. If you visit in June or July and even some weeks in August they close the Acropolis in the afternoon, because it gets too hot. Who knows if this happens often, but the guide made it clear if you visit in the summer months, be prepared for the extreme heat and possibly afternoon closings of the Acropolis.

We used to always go in the summer,  but IMO Fall is the best, the sea is still warm enough to swim.   Earlier in the year the sea can be quite cool of. Or downright cold, even for the locals.  

Less busy too hopefully! 

On 7/10/2024 at 5:42 PM, JSR said:

Two things to note:

1. July will be VERY hot.

2. July will be VERY crowded.

I suggest mid-September thru October would be the best time.