Event voyages question

sucramdi

I'll be sailing on QM2 this fall with the Royal Shakespeare Company. Will they be performing nightly in the royal court theatre or will they mainly be holding daytime events? The last event voyage I was on was with the Greatest Generation foundation and they only held insights style talks in the mornings, I'm wondering if this will be similar.  

• Like 1

In 2022 the RSC folks has acting workshops in the Queen’s Room, a film of ‘Much ado about Nothing’ on the tv, and a couple of scenes presented in Carinthia (I think at the same time as chorus rehearsals).

On a previous sailing (2019) there were RADA folks presenting in the main theatre, and a scene from ‘The Importance of Being Earnest “ in the lobby.

• Like 1

Here's the schedule of Royal Shakespeare Company events for the last crossing we were on which featured the Royal Shakespeare Company (and wasn't also another themed crossing in its own right such as the National Symphony Orchestra and the Festival of Food and Wine). That was the 8-night crossing May 18-26, 2023 which included a port day in Le Havre.

May 18 (Embarkation day in Southampton)

No events

May 19 (Le Havre)

5:00pm - Shakespeare Tales: Sonnets, Illuminations

May 20 (At Sea)

5:30pm - Shakespeare Tales: Time, Illuminations

May 21 (At Sea)

11:15am - Shakespeare Unwrapped - Macbeth, Queens Room

1:45pm - Workshop: Playing a Scene - Macbeth & Lady Macbeth, Queens Room

May 22 (At Sea)

3:00pm - Shakespeare Unwrapped - Benedict & Beatrice, Royal Court Theatre

May 23 (At Sea)

2:00pm - Miss Littlewood, Royal Court Theatre

May 24 (At Sea)

9:00pm - Royal Shakespeare Company Q&A, Carinthia Lounge

May 25 (At Sea)

1:45 - Workshop: Beginners Guide to Playwriting, Queens Room

• Like 1

I think I have participated in this workshop, as mentioned above.

Workshop: Playing a Scene - Macbeth & Lady Macbeth, Queens Room

I didn't know quite what to expect, and in fact it was 100% audience participation. It was focused on the scene where Lady M was baiting her husband to murder Duncan (hopefully we don't need to Spoiler flags on this one!). Members of the cast were getting us to focus on how to get the dialogue message across even if the precise words of 17th Century English text were archaic.  They also brought out how this was a more complex gender relationship here than first appears, there is more to it than Lady M being a mad witch. It helped somewhat if you knew the text, you would get more out of it, but by no means essential. 

I think the Royal Shakespeare company will be on my voyage in September but as it’s only a portion of a longer voyage I’m not sure if they’ll still be performing.  If they are still conducting workshops, does one need to register for them?  Would I be unable to register due to capacity already being reached from passengers who were already on board for the TA part of the voyage before I embark?

If it’s like the ballet workshops  you did have to register to attend and there was limited capacity. Performances and rehearsals were on a first come first served  basis. The ballet were only on one part of the TA so everyone had equal chance to book. I would image each segment would have separate bookings to give everyone a chance. 

I just bought a new wardrobe for this trip (to be fair I also lost enough weight that I needed new clothes.) and my pre cruise hotels and flights are booked. Quebec City has been on my bucket list and I’m finally going. Now I’m seeing that there are Royal Shakespeare Theatre workshops and performances on my cruise!  My excitement is ramping up.  Thank you fellow Cruise Critic Cunard people.  You’re part of the excitement.  Hopefully my fellow QM2 passengers will be pleasant and the waters will be calm.

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/24/2024 at 2:26 PM, Winifred 22 said:

If it’s like the ballet workshops  you did have to register to attend and there was limited capacity. Performances and rehearsals were on a first come first served  basis. The ballet were only on one part of the TA so everyone had equal chance to book. I would image each segment would have separate bookings to give everyone a chance. 

I've just discovered the return t/a on my 21 night July 2025 via Norway/Iceland/Halifax appears to be the ballet themed crossing.  Bit of a worry for me, my husband absolutely detests ballet.  This crossing was booked as a replacement for a Queen Anne we couldn't make this September and is my husband's first transatlantic and return trip to the US since 2004.  

Am I to assume that everything is going to be ballet themed as I know he will not enjoy much if it is. What exactly happens on this themed crossing?

Thank you.

5 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

I've just discovered the return t/a on my 21 night July 2025 via Norway/Iceland/Halifax appears to be the ballet themed crossing.  Bit of a worry for me, my husband absolutely detests ballet.  This crossing was booked as a replacement for a Queen Anne we couldn't make this September and is my husband's first transatlantic and return trip to the US since 2004.  

Am I to assume that everything is going to be ballet themed as I know he will not enjoy much if it is. What exactly happens on this themed crossing?

Thank you.

I've been on an RSC-themed voyage, and barely noticed it. There were a couple of workshops and one or two performances, but all in addition to the standard entertainment. I think your ballet-detesting husband will be fine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Thank you.

Poor him.
I don’t know, but:

1. You could hope for rough weather, which would not be conducive.

2. They can hardly demand compulsory participation.

Surely she is such a big ship that there must be other things going on?

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

Poor him.
I don’t know, but:

1. You could hope for rough weather, which would not be conducive.

2. They can hardly demand compulsory participation.

Surely she is such a big ship that there must be other things going on?

I hope so!!

Ironic really, he'd love the RSC, literary or an opera themed crossing.  It's just my luck after years of badgering him to do a T/A I get the ballet themedone.

I've only ever done two themed Cunard trips and they were James Taylor so no real comparison I can make.

I'm a bit worried everything will be ballet, including the lectures etc.

We did roundtrip to NY and on our return to Southampton was a Literature Festival and they literally took over the whole ship and was our worst crossing we ever had. Everything on the ship was based on Literature Festival and those that hadn't booked as part of that had nowhere to go. We booked before it was announced as Literature Festival and was with many others not happy with Cunard on return crossing and they had many complaints.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

I hope so!!

Ironic really, he'd love the RSC, literary or an opera themed crossing.  It's just my luck after years of badgering him to do a T/A I get the ballet themedone.

I've only ever done two themed Cunard trips and they were James Taylor so no real comparison I can make.

I'm a bit worried everything will be ballet, including the lectures etc.

The same cruise 2019 was fashion themed TA. Of no interest to me and had no impact as far as I can recall. I shall await with interest if next year is the same.

Edited by sogne
Correction
  • Thanks 1

I've done both an RSC and a Literature at Sea. I'm interested in both subjects, and enjoyed the various extra sessions, but you really needed to scrutinise the Daily Programme to know anything about it. I doubt it will be a full corps de ballet anyway. If you keep the Daily Programme firmly in your hands and read out "curated" extracts to DH, he will be none the wiser, and I suspect all DW are fully aware of this technique in some form or another. For things like Insights, I would expect one out of three would be ballet related.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1