Documentation needed

Hi,

My mom, 8 year old daughter and I are going on the Explorer in January. My husband will be staying home. What documentation, if any, do I need saying it’s okay for me to travel with our daughter? Already got her passport. Is there a form on the RC website? I’ve looked and looked but all I can find is if you’re traveling with a child that is not yours. 

Thanks! 

Posted (edited)

Unless you are divorced or separated, or under some sort of custody agreement regarding your children, I don't think any documentation is needed to travel without your spouse, but with your children.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

If you run into an over zealous agent you will wish you had a notarized letter from the absent parent. 
There have been posts on this and other travel sites about a parent and child being held from crossing the border. 

If I ran into such an agent I would ask to see their supervisor or a representative from the ship. I'm not aware of any such requirement for a solo parent traveling with their child on a closed loop cruise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Nothing need from you. We did need to fill out a form for our granddaughter who had a different last name, but at the terminal and at checkin no one ever asked for any thing .

We have been asked every time for a notarized permission slip for our grandchildren with a different last name. They both have passports.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, fpcruiser said:

We have been asked every time for a notarized permission slip for our grandchildren with a different last name. They both have passports.

That is different if they were traveling alone with you without their parents?  If so, that would be required.  But a child traveling with a parent of the same name should not be an issue.

I traveled with my minor son many times on RC and never had an issue. My son had a passport, but never took any documents related to my custody agreement with his father, etc. 

14 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

That is different if they were traveling alone with you without their parents?  If so, that would be required.  But a child traveling with a parent of the same name should not be an issue.

Yes, I was replying to the person who said they have never been asked for documentation for their grandchildren.

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

Unless you are divorced or separated, or under some sort of custody agreement regarding your children, I don't think any documentation is needed to travel without your spouse, but with your children.

How do the check in agents know when traveling solo with your child if you are happily married to the father, divorced, or separated and what a custody agreement says?  They don't.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

How do the check in agents know when traveling solo with your child if you are happily married to the father, divorced, or separated and what a custody agreement says?  They don't.

Good point. 

RCCL: 

Should the last names of the parent and minor child traveling with them differ, the parent is required to present the child's valid passport and visa (if required) and the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy). The name of the parent(s) and the child must be linked through legal documentation.

Adults who are not the parent or Legal Guardian of any minor child traveling with them are required to present the child's valid passport and visa or the child's birth certificate (original, a notarized copy or a certified copy) and an original notarized letter signed by at least one of the child's parents. The notarized letter from the child's parent must authorize the traveling adult to take the child on the specific cruise, must authorize guardian to sign legal documentation/waivers for participation in any activities requiring them (i.e. Rock Climbing, Flowrider, Bungee Trampoline, Inline Skating, or Ice Skating) and must authorize the traveling adult to supervise the child and permit any medical treatment that must be administered to the child. If a non-parent adult is a Legal Guardian, the adult must present a certified certificate of Guardianship with respect to the child. 

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

If I ran into such an agent I would ask to see their supervisor or a representative from the ship. I'm not aware of any such requirement for a solo parent traveling with their child on a closed loop cruise.

There are actually laws surrounding a parent from crossing international borders without consent from an absent parent. 
A closed loop cruise is international travel as far as this is concerned. 

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

That’s exactly why it’s a good idea to have a simple document to CYA

• Like 1

3 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

There are laws and a heightened awareness surrounding child trafficking and parental abduction.

I have told this story before on these boards, but it bears repeating. My wife, my children, and myself are caucasian.  I have a beautiful grand-daughter adopted from an African nation. My daughter and son in law have been stopped and questioned NUMEROUS times at airports, CBP, and cruise terminals regarding their relationship to the girl.

Once one of these agents decides you are suspicious there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, you can do.  Call all the supervisors you want, protest in any way imaginable, in these situations you are guilty until you can prove innocence.

A simple notarized form costing a couple dollars, as I stated above, is a million dollar insurance policy for your sanity should you run into ANYONE that questions your intent. Probably a one in a hundred chance of needing it........................but if you do-you do.

• Like 11

16 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There are actually laws surrounding a parent from crossing international borders without consent from an absent parent. 
A closed loop cruise is international travel as far as this is concerned. 

Are we sure a closed loop cruise from child's country of citizenship is considered international and therefore requires a notarized document from non-travelling parent? My experience like others above with is that I never needed anything to document consent when traveling  on a US closed loop cruise with US passports.  Now,  I have been asked several times when traveling by air out of the country but again-on the return the one time out of probably 20 when asked, I simply asked if there was a law preventing minors from returning to their country of citizenship--at which point I was told no and admitted in with my minor children and no documents presented.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

There are laws and a heightened awareness surrounding child trafficking and parental abduction.

I have told this story before on these boards, but it bears repeating. My wife, my children, and myself are caucasian.  I have a beautiful grand-daughter adopted from an African nation. My daughter and son in law have been stopped and questioned NUMEROUS times at airports, CBP, and cruise terminals regarding their relationship to the girl.

Once one of these agents decides you are suspicious there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, you can do.  Call all the supervisors you want, protest in any way imaginable, in these situations you are guilty until you can prove innocence.

A simple notarized form costing a couple dollars, as I stated above, is a million dollar insurance policy for your sanity should you run into ANYONE that questions your intent. Probably a one in a hundred chance of needing it........................but if you do-you do.

I understand child trafficking and parental abduction concerns, and while I also under understand your situation, it is rather unique.  My point being that I am not aware of any cruise line requirement to have a notarized document from the second parent confirming consent for a child of a solo parent who posses the necessary ID and documentation for themselves and that child, to permit that child from traveling on a closed loop cruise with the solo parent.  I'm certain that there will always be those reported cases where such a letter will be indicated as coming in handy, but it is not, again to my knowledge, required.  Which was the OP's question.

Just now, chfenton said:

Are we sure a closed loop cruise from child's country of citizenship is considered international and therefore requires a notarized document from non-travelling parent? My experience like others above with is that I never needed anything to document consent when traveling  on a US closed loop cruise with US passports.  Now,  I have been asked several times when traveling by air out of the country but again-on the return the one time out of probably 20 when asked, I simply asked if there was a law preventing minors from returning to their country of citizenship--at which point I was told no and admitted in with my minor children and no documents presented.

It is absolutely considered international travel

My daughter has sailed eight times with her daughter and has never been asked for anything and their names are different.  However, we have always brought a notarized letter signed by her father.  Once in Bermuda they questioned their setsail passes when they were getting back on the ship.  They asked my granddaughter a few questions and they were satisfied and let them back on the ship.  She was about ten at that time.

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

I understand child trafficking and parental abduction concerns, and while I also under understand your situation, it is rather unique.  My point being that I am not aware of any cruise line requirement to have a notarized document from the second parent confirming consent for a child of a solo parent who posses the necessary ID and documentation traveling on a closed loop cruise with that parent.  I'm certain that there will always be those reported cases where such a letter will be indicated as coming in handy, but it is not, again to my knowledge, required.  Which was the OP's question.

I am just a "better safe than sorry" kind of guy.  We have had the kids bring friends on cruises in the past when they were younger.  Always had the proper notarized forms from the parents, out of 9-10 trips, we were only asked for them once, but I was glad to have them.

I agree with you with respect to the question of the OP.  To my knowledge there is no cruise line requirement for paperwork for a single parent traveling with minor children; but non cruise line personnel can quickly become interjected into any situation.  Again, just my 2 cents.

Just now, not-enough-cruising said:

I am just a "better safe than sorry" kind of guy.  We have had the kids bring friends on cruises in the past when they were younger.  Always had the proper notarized forms from the parents, out of 9-10 trips, we were only asked for them once, but I was glad to have them.

I agree with you with respect to the question of the OP.  To my knowledge there is no cruise line requirement for paperwork for a single parent traveling with minor children; but non cruise line personnel can quickly become interjected into any situation.  Again, just my 2 cents.

You bringing friends of your kids along is a completely different story.  Not only should you have a notarized letter of permission to travel with you but a consent to act on the child's behalf with any medical emergency.  We have done that in the past as well and that was what was required of us.

But that has nothing do to the the OP's question.

1 minute ago, leaveitallbehind said:

You bringing friends of your kids along is a completely different story.  Not only should you have a notarized letter of permission to travel with you but a consent to act on the child's behalf with any medical emergency.  We have done that in the past as well and that was what was required of us.

But that has nothing do to the the OP's question.

You missed my point, but that's OK.  The point being you don't need it until you need it, so why not be prepared? It's kind of like travel insurance.

Cheers

• Like 2

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

It is absolutely considered international travel

That may be, but again I disagree that any thing is needed from a non traveling parent upon entry back to the country of citizenship.

2 minutes ago, chfenton said:

That may be, but again I disagree that any thing is needed from a non traveling parent upon entry back to the country of citizenship.

Re entry isn't the problem, leaving the country in the first place can be the issue. Disagree all you want, but the information is out there.