Cabin door left open

Gomac

2 hours ago, david,Mississauga said:

Especially because this issue was at 11:00 p.m., I think the purser's office should have sent a security officer to check the cabin to re-assure the passengers no-one was inside. Dismissing it as "housekeeping" wasn't good enough.

Yes! If nothing else, they are good at listening and re-assuring passengers.

I had an odd experience on QM2 a few years ago. I was standing on deck, not quite at the rail, but not completely blocking the walking path, either. A few young men were walking laps and one of them put his hands on my shoulders and sort of guided me closer to the rail to get me out of their way. He didn't shove me. It was the sort of thing DH would have done to move me out of the way of a cabinet or shelf he wanted to reach. But from a stranger, it was creepy. Why not say "excuse me" or "behind you," as runners often do. Or why not just move around me??? 

I didn't do anything because they were long gone, and I thought it would sound like I'm some hysterical old woman entertaining scary thoughts. The next day, I happened upon a security officer in a hallway, and we said good morning. And then I stopped him and told him what happened, mostly because I wondered if there were other incidents of these guys not respecting personal boundaries. He said there weren't, but he would make a note of it and took my name and cabin number. Then he said NEVER hesitate to report something you see as a problem. 

Part of the job of security on a ship is to make you FEEL secure as well as keeping you secure. 

As for doors not shutting, I was going to say that I have never had it happen. But now that people mention it, a few times on QA I didn't hear the click and had to pull the door tight. 

On 8/7/2024 at 9:29 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I had an odd experience on QM2 a few years ago. I was standing on deck, not quite at the rail, but not completely blocking the walking path, either. A few young men were walking laps and one of them put his hands on my shoulders and sort of guided me closer to the rail to get me out of their way. He didn't shove me. It was the sort of thing DH would have done to move me out of the way of a cabinet or shelf he wanted to reach. But from a stranger, it was creepy. Why not say "excuse me" or "behind you," as runners often do. Or why not just move around me??? 

I didn't do anything because they were long gone, and I thought it would sound like I'm some hysterical old woman entertaining scary thoughts. The next day, I happened upon a security officer in a hallway, and we said good morning. And then I stopped him and told him what happened, mostly because I wondered if there were other incidents of these guys not respecting personal boundaries. He said there weren't, but he would make a note of it and took my name and cabin number. Then he said NEVER hesitate to report something you see as a problem. 

Part of the job of security on a ship is to make you FEEL secure as well as keeping you secure. 

As for doors not shutting, I was going to say that I have never had it happen. But now that people mention it, a few times on QA I didn't hear the click and had to pull the door tight. 

“Odd” is true!  Were you mistaken for a deck chair?

I’m glad the security officer was so reassuring.  

On 8/7/2024 at 9:29 AM, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I assume that amazingly narrow promenade deck (that’s sarcasm, by the way) on QM2 prevented them from forming a single file to go around you.

• Haha 1

On 8/7/2024 at 10:23 AM, *Miss G* said:

I wouldn’t escalate it (on the first incident) to the head of housekeeping but I would, kindly, seek out and mention it to the room steward when they are back on duty. Escalation would be when it happens again. 

But how do you know it is the first time it has happened? It may have happened multiple times to different guests on multiple cruises, but if it is never raised as a issue then it never happened. If stewards are stretched to the point that they make errors which leave passengers and their possessions vulnerable then management needs to know.

On 8/7/2024 at 8:19 AM, Gomac said:

The door wasn’t wedged wide open. For some reason the lock had been turned and this prevented it closing. The blank housekeeping keycard was also in the slot. Realistically this means the door was left open for 3 hours. 

What have you done with the blank 'House keeping card " ? . Why haven't you mentioned the incident to your stateroom steward  , why do you need to ( your words)  escalate the incident  what is it you want to achieve.

If I had returned back to my cabin and found the door ajar and a 'House Keeping key card' in the slot  I'd be having a friendly word the next morning with my steward/ess .  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ExArkie said:

I assume that amazingly narrow promenade deck (that’s sarcasm, by the way) on QM2 prevented them from forming a single file to go around you.

Yeah, I thought of that, too. Amazingly narrow minds, perhaps?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Catchum said:

But how do you know it is the first time it has happened? It may have happened multiple times to different guests on multiple cruises, but if it is never raised as a issue then it never happened. If stewards are stretched to the point that they make errors which leave passengers and their possessions vulnerable then management needs to know.

You know very well that I was not referring to every single incident on every single ship, and that I was referring to this incident. 

People are human. They make mistakes for many different reasons.  Perhaps they have had bad news from home.  Perhaps they had a staff party the night before and didn’t get much sleep.  I have had an unlocked door on a sailing.  All I did was hand them back their access card and had a friendly chat.  That, alone, gives them a heads up they need to be mindful of that detail, as well as reassure myself that they are okay personally.  Going straight to their supervisor (on the first instance) is going to end with a miserable day(s) for them as they now have one more thing to worry about with all the other things which go along with being trapped on a ship far from home. (In addition to feeling miserable for being reprimanded.) Consideration for others is pretty high on my list of being a good person.

• Like 10

I'm rather miffed that Guest Relations didn't handle it immediately and take care of requiring a guest to figure out who to speak / complain to.   At the least they should have dispatched security to check the room out and make sure they felt safe and comfortable.

Totally unacceptable that a door should ever be left open when the housekeeping staff isn't actively working in the room

27 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm rather miffed that Guest Relations didn't handle it immediately and take care of requiring a guest to figure out who to speak / complain to.   At the least they should have dispatched security to check the room out and make sure they felt safe and comfortable.

Totally unacceptable that a door should ever be left open when the housekeeping staff isn't actively working in the room

I agree. I thought the point of calling Guest Relations was that they would know who should take care of a particular issue and forward the message to them. 

Naively, I wouldn't be concerned with anyone being in the room but I would be checking to make sure nothing was missing.

We had QV table mates years ago who 'travelled well' and came back from a shore visit to find travel agents being shown around their extremely large cabin on QM2.

To put it politely, they raised hell. Apart from the complete invasion of privacy, anything could have been pocketed/left in the cabin. I'm not too sure of the outcome, but they were satisfied with the result from Cunard HQ.

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

We had QV table mates years ago who 'travelled well' and came back from a shore visit to find travel agents being shown around their extremely large cabin on QM2.

WOW! 😮

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Naively, I wouldn't be concerned with anyone being in the room but I would be checking to make sure nothing was missing.

To put it politely, they raised hell. Apart from the complete invasion of privacy, anything could have been pocketed/left in the cabin. I'm not too sure of the outcome, but they were satisfied with the result from Cunard HQ.

I agree that theft would be the most likely problem if a door is left open. That's all the more reason for security to come to the cabin, just to establish a record in case anything turns out to be missing.