Canadians downunder

Hello,  lots of questions as I try and help our son and friends book a Sydney to New Zealand cruise.  P and O has a 14 day mid November Sydney to NewZealand  return. 

1). How rough would the crossing be between Sydney and New Zealand,  mid November and the end of November?

2) is it possible to leave the ship and stay in New Zealand?  Their flights from Canada are to Australia and home from Auckland. 

3) none of them drink, would they be happy on P and O?  He has only cruised Holland America.  They are all early forties.  
4) is it even possible for a Canadian to book this cruise, or does it have to be done from Australia.  

thanks for any help! 

1. There is no way to know ahead of time if the crossing of the Tasman Sea will be rough. We have been on around a dozen NZ cruises and never had rough seas.

2. I doubt very very much that they will be able to leave the ship in NZ. If this is what they want to do, I suggest they look at a one-way cruise.

3. The average age on P&O is much younger than HAL, even though the average on NZ cruises is a bit higher than on Pacific Island cruises.

4. I cannot answer this question for sure, but I should think you would be able to do it on line.

• Like 2

1. November of what year?

2. Book a one-way cruise ex Sydney if you want to stay in NZL.

3. Any half-decent travel agent will find you a suitable cruise if you aren't comfortable to book yourself. 

4. Look at other options as well, rather than only P&O

🙂

• Like 1

November 24, looks like the only option is the round trip.  Can’t find any others, other cruise lines seem to be more in early 25. Needing to find a Canadian agent familiar with P and O Australia.   They could also fly back from Sydney.  

Edited by bennybear

1. I think November is a little early in the season for NZ, but since you are from Canada the weather shouldn't be a problem. The only thing you can say about the Tasman Sea is that it is more rough than smooth at any time of year.

2. I doubt that the NZ border force people would allow you to depart the ship in NZ. They would have to setup all the customs and immigration facilities just for a few people. P&O could probably tell you.

3. P&O is a very different scene to HAL, but I don't think it would be anything to worry about.

4. I believe you can book with P&O from overseas if you contact them directly. Or just let a TA do it for you.

P&O, Celebrity and Princess all have round trip NZ cruises in mid Nov 2024 for about the same price.

HAL have a one way Sydney to Auckland on Nov 9th 2025.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Silversea have a 14 day cruise from Sydney to Auckland one way on November 22.

It is 3 times the price of the others but it is all inclusive so may only work out a little more and saves airfares back to Auckland.

Viking has one on Nov 29 but that is double the Silversea fare

• Like 1

DW & I are teetotallers and have cruised P&O multiple times without issue. But if you expect to receive the same standard of food, service, etc as HAL you will be disappointed. I describe P&O as "cheap and cheerful". 

• Like 4