Would you pre-tip Dining Room Maitre'd??

I live in Vegas so we have (or used to have) Maitre'ds everywhere. I'm going to go check on our dinner seating when I get on the ship, even though it's only 3 nights I hope for a really good table as it's my mom's first cruise. Would you tip the Maitre'd at this point to ensure a nice table with fun people or not? And if so, how much? $5.00, $10.00?

Thanks

No, I would not. At that point your table is already assigned and he would have no idea about the personalities of those you are seated with.

If you have a problem and he helps you, or if he performs a special service for you, by all means give him an extra tip if you are so inclined. But pre-tipping would be pretty pointless, in my opinion.

We requested a different location and smaller table on our last cruise - Anniversary Cruise - so wanted table for 2.....Maitre' D.. gave us a table for 4 and blocked it out so we'd have privacy .. then, he refused a tip... imagine that!!

Hi Dona! Seems alot of us "desert rats" seek water for vacation!:p

Yes, those of us that are in Vegas more than 10 years have been TRAINED by the Maitre'ds to tip or you get put in the corner by the service entrance!:eek:

I'm very glad I asked this question and have gotten a resounding "No!" so I don't look like a newbie on board! Thanks everyone for your responses!

Hi Dona! Seems alot of us "desert rats" seek water for vacation!:p

Yes, those of us that are in Vegas more than 10 years have been TRAINED by the Maitre'ds to tip or you get put in the corner by the service entrance!:eek:

I'm very glad I asked this question and have gotten a resounding "No!" so I don't look like a newbie on board! Thanks everyone for your responses!

Hi SakeDad! It's nice to see someone from the desert wanting water as well!! If you ever want to drop a line on the e-mail thing, my e-mail is lawsoncd@cox.net. I lived in Green Valley for 15 years.. now I'm a Summerlin gal!! :) Have a great cruise and keep in touch... :D

We requested a different location and smaller table on our last cruise - Anniversary Cruise - so wanted table for 2.....Maitre' D.. gave us a table for 4 and blocked it out so we'd have privacy .. then, he refused a tip... imagine that!!

What ship was that on? I've been on 35 cruises and always the Maitre'D is standing there the last night for his/her tip, even though you don't see him/her all week.

I agree with CrusinJoe, you often don't see the maitre'd until the last night when he wants tips. We have always gotten the tables we requested because our TA has made the request. We really do not appreciate the "couldn't care less attitude" at the beginning of the cruise and the huge smile with the "how has everything been?" on the last night. Our dining room staff has always been fabulous and our tables where we wanted them.

What ship was that on? I've been on 35 cruises and always the Maitre'D is standing there the last night for his/her tip, even though you don't see him/her all week.

I too have seen this occur. Although on one cruise we saw the Maitre'D at our table numerous times. I was impressed with him and he did get a nice tip from me and my wife.

Are we getting maitre 'ds mixed up with headwaiters? I always thought on RCI there may be 2 or 3 maitre 'ds onboard, and they are salaried personnel only..lots of headwaiters though, they are part of the tip package.The headwaiters usually make a point of visiting the tables. I think the terminology is different depending on which line you are on.

I'm not sure pre-tipping is a good idea. Some may think that's all they're getting and service may suffer because of that! They expect to be tipped at the end of the cruise--standard procedure. If someone goes above and beyond with some special request, by all means, reward them. We've always had such good service w/o pre-tipping that we tip more than the recommended amount the last night.

Archived