Monarch MUST be very popular!

I just looked at the July 9th cruise....and it's there...at least on Rccl....and still listed for my Oct. 1, 2007 cruise! But I agree with a previous poster, I would prefer a sea day, that San Diego! This is a great little cruise, however, would love more sea time!

It is interesting how people have different opinions :)

We love the San Diego stop most of all. Catalina is nice, but way too crowded for such a small town. We rarely bother to get off the ship in Ensenada, that is a good thing. Better than a sea day, warmer weather and the majority of people get off to see Ensenada :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: .

We haven't yet had a great sea day off the coast of Baja.

Hey Henderson.... I lived in Green Valley for 15 years! (now in Summerlin) I do believe it's so close and like other posters have said, we don't need a plane. I have sailed the itenerary before when the Viking Serenade was there... just for that reason. Close to home and at the time, cheap! I can't wait to have first hand experience of the crew, ship, and atmosphere!

I too, wouldn't mind having a sea day instead of SD. That is one thing I am missing... a sea day. I love sea days!

The pics that everyone has posted are awesome. I am curious though, how far is the parking to the port... walking distance?

D :)

I know... another picture. I'm just one of those people who say a picture is worth a thousand words. This picture was taken as I still sat in the car in the parking lot in our parking space. Notice the fence for the parking lot at the bottom of the picture. There is a much larger perimeter fence around the whole port.

The door to the lobby is directly behind the Super Shuttle van on the right. You can also see how close the ship is by the stack showing above the building.

Let me know if you have any other questions. :p

2522458340046215528S425x425Q85.jpg

It is interesting how people have different opinions :)

We love the San Diego stop most of all. Catalina is nice, but way too crowded for such a small town. We rarely bother to get off the ship in Ensenada, that is a good thing. Better than a sea day, warmer weather and the majority of people get off to see Ensenada :confused: :rolleyes: :confused: .

We haven't yet had a great sea day off the coast of Baja.

My guess as to why so many people get off at Ensenada is that they haven't been here before. On our cruise last week, from the figures provided at the C&A party, there were only about 200 of the cruisers who were Gold and only about 70 were Platinum or above. That's not very many on a ship of over 2000 people. :)

Mohave Mommy!

I LOVE that pic. It does say 1000 words... I wish I remembered and took more of the port in Galveston in as well... for some reason, I'm thinking like the airport parking... shuttles, trams, little trains. Thanks for putting this weary mind at ease!

I like Ensenada... just for the great specials, and the fish tacos! But, as with any port, after a while, it's just a stop and I too, would enjoy my time on the ship.

D :)

I always go for a stroll in Ensenada even though I've been there many many many times. It's always nice just to stretch the legs and look at the colorful wares lining the streets. Before I head back to the ship for lunch I stop at the local supermarket and buy bottles of vanilla for $1 which they hawk on the street for $5-$6.:)

Once you disembark from the Monarch it is two hours by car to San Diego. It is also two hours by car to the Monarch if you were visiting San Diego the day before.

I'm not familar with San Diego - is there anything of interest within walking distance of the pier there?

I'm not familar with San Diego - is there anything of interest within walking distance of the pier there?

I don't know if Sea Port Village is within walking distance. It is not too far. If you don't feel like walking, there is a light rail system that goes there. The main terminal for the light rail system (I don't recall what they call it) is just across the parking lot from the cruise ship.

Now that I think about it, any place the light rail system goes is within walking distance of the cruise ship.

So, you can add Old Town and Horton Plaza. Horton Plaza is a shopping mall with one very interesting feature, the floors on one side are offset from the floors on the other side. In other words, in order to stay on the same floor, you have to go up or down. So, it is easy to get lost, which can make it kind of fun.

You could take the light rail system to the border and cross into TJ if you wanted to. The last time I did that was in 1996, so I don't know what it is like under the new post Sept 11 rules.

Ask this question under the West Coast Ports forum and you will get a lot better information than I can give.

Right now the Monarch is very popular in my house...we're on it tomorrow for the quick/long weekend! Haven't done the 3 day before, so here we go!....:D

Have a wonderful time!!!

I too am a huge Monarch fan. She is close for a getaway, inexpensive and the crew and fun are fantastic. The crew loves their little ship and all the passengers. New and repeaters as well. Always keep one or 2 Monarch reservations in your back pocket to look forward to!

I always go for a stroll in Ensenada even though I've been there many many many times. It's always nice just to stretch the legs and look at the colorful wares lining the streets. Before I head back to the ship for lunch I stop at the local supermarket and buy bottles of vanilla for $1 which they hawk on the street for $5-$6.:)

Why do you go back to the ship for lunch when you have so many options at the port :confused:

###

Great reviews for a good 4 day vacation. The DH and I lived in San Diego for a long time before moving north. I just visited my mother in Febraury for her 90th and we stayed at the Lowe's Coronado. Wow, that was nice experience wonderful service and they made my mom feel like a queen! :0 You can walk to Horton Plaza and Sea Port Village each approxiamately 1/2 -1 mile walk but a nice one in the great San Diego weather. Personally I just want to be on a cruise!;)

Why do you go back to the ship for lunch when you have so many options at the port :confused:

###

After we've walked a few miles and bought our vanilla there's nothing new for us to see. If you haven't been there before I'd suggest you go see La Bufador. Having done this itinary at least 10 times on Monarch (and previously on Viking Serenade) I can't fill up a whole day in Ensenada anymore. If you are asking why I eat lunch on the ship VS the port it's simple, I don't consume anything in Mexico except a canned or bottled diet coke.:eek:

I love a short get away on the Monarch! If I can grab a quick get away on her I will take it anytime! However, like other posters have said, if a Radiance class ship comes to the West Coast to do the Riviera I would even be happier to grab a quick get away on the Vision anyday!:D

After we've walked a few miles and bought our vanilla there's nothing new for us to see. If you haven't been there before I'd suggest you go see La Bufador. Having done this itinary at least 10 times on Monarch (and previously on Viking Serenade) I can't fill up a whole day in Ensenada anymore. If you are asking why I eat lunch on the ship VS the port it's simple, I don't consume anything in Mexico except a canned or bottled diet coke.:eek:

Hi Karyn! I agree, we spent a few hours in Ensenada and then enjoyed a nice afternoon on the ship. I have never seen so many activities planned on a port day onboard as I have seen in Ensenada. It makes me think that a few other people think that way, too!;)

BTW, are you still interested in the Med?

I don't know if Sea Port Village is within walking distance. It is not too far.

It's a little bit of a walk in my opinion. As we got off the ship, we came across a bike rickshaw (is there another term for that?). We paid the guy $5 & he drove us to Seaport Village. We used another one to head back. We were glad we did it after all the walking we did while we were at Seaport Village.

I don't know if Sea Port Village is within walking distance. It is not too far.

There is a free shuttle bus system from the cruise port to Sea Port village every 15 minutes. They pick you up within a few feet from the door when exiting the terminal.

There is a free shuttle bus system from the cruise port to Sea Port village every 15 minutes. They pick you up within a few feet from the door when exiting the terminal.

We took the shuttle both directions from Seaport - very easy!:)

Archived