Monarch MUST be very popular!

Hi Ginny, I still think we'll do the Med. I'm really interested in the two new celebrity ships. I like the 710 passenger size. We absolutly loved Celebrity's Expedition. We're going to hawaii on NCL in sept. and the reviews are awful about the NCLA line. We're doing the Monarch Dec 3 for 4 nights and then doing the Voyager in janary so fall 2008 is still open for a cruise.My email is Cruiseprn@hotmail.com

I have a question for all of you who have done this cruise. I just recently got back from my first cruise on Freedom. After talking to my mom and telling her how much I loved it, she said that she would like to try a cruise too. She doesn't want to be gone too long, so we are looking at 4-5 days and this seemed like it might be a possibility. Should we even be considering this cruise? Neither of us have been to California, and the prices seemed pretty good. However, it sounds like only people who can drive to the port do this cruise and it's an older ship. Any opinions on this?

I would instead suggest the Navigator when she returns to Florida and offers shorter cruises. You really cannot compare the Freedom to the Monarch.

San Diego, however is a wonderful place to visit, I just think one day is too short.

###

I have a question for all of you who have done this cruise. I just recently got back from my first cruise on Freedom. After talking to my mom and telling her how much I loved it, she said that she would like to try a cruise too. She doesn't want to be gone too long, so we are looking at 4-5 days and this seemed like it might be a possibility. Should we even be considering this cruise? Neither of us have been to California, and the prices seemed pretty good. However, it sounds like only people who can drive to the port do this cruise and it's an older ship. Any opinions on this?

Having sailed both, Freedom once, Monarch numerous times, while I agree with Phoenix that you can't compare the 2 ships there are different things I like about both. We have also sailed the Monarch with plenty of people that fly in and IMHO it is a wonderful first ship/trip to sail. She was our first so I may be a bit predjudiced. Here is a link to the website photo's of the person who started this thread and his sailing with his mother.

Having sailed both, Freedom once, Monarch numerous times, while I agree with Phoenix that you can't compare the 2 ships there are different things I like about both. We have also sailed the Monarch with plenty of people that fly in and IMHO it is a wonderful first ship/trip to sail. She was our first so I may be a bit predjudiced. Here is a link to the website photo's of the person who started this thread and his sailing with his mother.

Thanks for the picture information. I enjoyed them especially the "adult beverage" photo.:)

Okay, after all of this Monarch talk, my sister and I decided we couldn't wait until October for our annual Monarch trip...so we scheduled another one for June!!!!!

Problem is, I've never sailed in anything lower than a mini suite...and because we are just throwing this cruise in at the spur of the moment, we booked inside guarentee...am I going to go crazy????

Hey there guys, I just got off the Vision of the Seas in Vancouver and several of the crew said that the Vision will be replacing the Monarch on the Baja 3 night/4 night runs next year, not sure when it will actually happen but it looks like a bigger ship is headed for that trip. :)

Okay, after all of this Monarch talk, my sister and I decided we couldn't wait until October for our annual Monarch trip...so we scheduled another one for June!!!!!

Problem is, I've never sailed in anything lower than a mini suite...and because we are just throwing this cruise in at the spur of the moment, we booked inside guarentee...am I going to go crazy????

Well, they *are* 119 square feet!!!! :eek:

I am flying from Philadelphia to Los Angeles to cruise on the Monarch! :D

I am flying from Philadelphia to Los Angeles to cruise on the Monarch! :D

Knoxville, TN to LAX for the Monarch in January. :)

Already have the plane tickets and everything.

kel3120: FYI -- not sure about your area but there seems to be a good sale on now to LAX. Turned out we could go to LAX for about half what we can fly to Florida for. Go figure! :eek:

Since it's your mom's first cruise and you only sail in suites YES you will go crazy. Try to get an outside cabin even if it's an obstructed view. :eek:

Why do you go back to the ship for lunch when you have so many options at the port :confused:

###

For some of us, a day of relaxation is far more important than seeing a port town like Ensenada. Been there, done that, don't like it ;)

I'd only suggest flying a great distance to this ship for a cruise if 1. you can get really cheap airfare 2. you tack it on as an addition to another vacation or business trip 3. you have a group of great friends to join. 4. if it were me, I'd only fly to do the 4 day, not the 3 day.

You will not believe how small these inside cabins are, they are great for one person! When my husband and I cruise on Monarch (we always get ocean view minimum, only once in an inside, what a difference 3 square feet makes!) even in the ocean view we have the beds separated, otherwise there is no space to stand up.

The 3 square feet is storage, you get more drawer space and a skosh more closet (shelves). That doesn't sound like a big deal until you get there. The drawers are about the size of a nightstand drawer, in the inside cabin there are 2 drawers, the closet has no shelves.

I'm not saying don't go if you can only afford an inside, just pack really light and take a huge sense of humor.

The more I read about this ship the more excited about this cruise I become! I have to admit like some of the other posters the DH and I may only disembark in Catalina. This is just a relaxing trip for us and since we have either lived or been to the ports before we chose this trip more to try out RC than visit ports. I see us spending alot of time at the pool napping and reading.:cool:

In Catalina make sure you visit Cold Stone Creamery. Very good ice cream!

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/

Creations_cone.jpg

In San Diego go to Sea Port Village. Many neat little shops and crafts there.

http://www.seaportvillage.com/

home-left.jpg

In Ensenada we only got off the ship sometimes to the shops at the port or those within walking distance if there is something that we are looking for. We will probably get a stone chess set or domino set next time there. I believe the chess sets were between $12 and $20 depending on size.

2161596000046215528S425x425Q85.jpg

There is also the medication in Ensenada. With prices in the US being so high, sometimes it pays to buy it in Mexico. Buying it is as easy as visiting your local 7-11. Just make sure you are familiar with the actual generic drug name and not just the brand name to avoid confusion.

2824851810046215528S425x425Q85.jpg

Hey there guys, I just got off the Vision of the Seas in Vancouver and several of the crew said that the Vision will be replacing the Monarch on the Baja 3 night/4 night runs next year, not sure when it will actually happen but it looks like a bigger ship is headed for that trip. :)

Really? And what is replacing the Vision? RCI says the Vision will be doing the Mexican Riviera next summer (summer 2008). So how is the Vision going to do both the one week and the 3 & 4 day cruises at the same time?

If all the rumors about a new RCI ship in Los Angeles were true, 25% the fleet would be based in Los Angeles.

The Vision is not replacing the Monarch next year. RCI is leaving the Vision to do summer runs out of LA for Summer 08 instead of moving her to Alaska. :)

In Catalina make sure you visit Cold Stone Creamery. Very good ice cream!

http://www.coldstonecreamery.com/

Creations_cone.jpg

Great, I just saw this and now have to go get my shoes on and car keys, so I can indulge. We have a Cold Stone a few blocks away, and it is 96 degrees today. Really obscene for early May, but whaddya do...sigh.

Waiting to read your review, Mohavemommy. :) We were on the same sailing last month...didn't go to the 'meet,' but had such a relaxing, enjoyable trip. We are new Monarch converts...;)

Cold Stone Creamery is good news for me! We actually just tried one for the first time last week on a shopping trip in the Detroit area. I'm not a huge ice cream fan but that was awesome ice cream.

Where will we find the one on Catalina?

The Vision is not replacing the Monarch next year. RCI is leaving the Vision to do summer runs out of LA for Summer 08 instead of moving her to Alaska. :)

MM is correct. I was on a Radiance tour with RCI last week and the Vision will be doing the Mexican Riviera 7 days year round. There are no plans to replace the Monarch and no other ships scheduled to come to the west coast at this time due to dry dock issues and Cabo not having the facilities for a larger ship. RCI is considering building a pier but that is in the distance. The closest dry dock for a voyager class ship is in Hawaii and that is quite a tow!

Cold Stone Creamery is good news for me! We actually just tried one for the first time last week on a shopping trip in the Detroit area. I'm not a huge ice cream fan but that was awesome ice cream.

Where will we find the one on Catalina?

Sorry...I was out getting ice cream :D . I've honestly never looked for it while there since we have a couple of them in my hometown, but I 'think,' (if memory serves, but I could be completely off) it is on the second or third side street off the main waterfront/bay thoroughfare. Avalon is VERY SMALL, so I can't imagine it wouldn't be within walking distance no matter where it is, and sure if you ask someone when you arrive, they'll point you in the right direction.

Archived