Monarch MUST be very popular!

I just checked RCCL's site and both the 3 day AND 4 day are totally sold out until April 28th!:eek: I know MANY of you have done repeats on this ship....what keeps you coming back again and again and again? I'll be there in two weeks and want to make SURE I experience all your favorite things while I'm on-board:D

I see that you live near Vegas. Many of us in southern California live relatively close to the San Pedro pier where the Monarch is. It's a great short cruise with no planes. Also, it's just a good ship. I always enjoy the Love and Marriage GAme, the Quest, and the entertainment. The food is good also. Some people really enjoy trivia, etc. Maybe, the best part of the Monarch are all the wonderful people who work on the ship. You will have a good time. Enjoy.

Robin :cool:

I second that. I've noticed that a lot of people from Northern CA (particularly Sacramento area) take this cruise, as well. LA is well within driving distance to us. Whatever you do, don't miss Dueling Pianos in the Boleros Lounge. They play every night except the last, on the 4-night cruise. It was the highlight of my last Monarch cruise and one that I'm looking forward to on my next.

My DW and I call it our 3 or 4 night cruise to "nowhere"! It's great to climb aboard and be taken care of for a few days. No cooking, no cleaning, put an outgoing message on the cell that says "I'm not available till __", be entertained, enjoy the sights of San Deigo, a fun restaurant in Avalon, people watch in Ensenada, and listen to Moe, the CD for the fun games by the pool, or watch him in action at Quest!

We enjoy the Monarch and will be back aboard on Labor Day!

Rick

Monarch is our occasional "Christmas cruise." We like to take a weekend off between the shopping and holiday madness. The rates are low and the ship is festive and we always have a lot of fun.

However, to be perfectly honest, we--like so many other Californians--sail the Monarch because that's all there is. If RCCL were to change ships, offer us something with aft balconies, we'd probably fit in a short, local cruise more often.

I hate to say it...but it's not the Monarch that's popular...it's the cost and convenience...

I would much rather have a newer RCCL ship in Los Angeles...one that's a little less crowded and that has more amenities and standard cabins a little larger than 112 square feet!

But, I do cruise on the Monarch (and will be cruising it again this coming Friday) and did on its predecessor, the Viking Serenade, largely because it's a CHEAP, EASY cruise out of San Pedro...

When you can't take a lot of time off of work or you don't quite have the budget for a longer or more exotic cruise...and you live in Southern California...or even Northern California, Arizona or Nevada...it's a very short drive (or a quick, inexpensive plane ride) and you're there...

We use it for a relaxing weekend getaway...

It's cheaper than driving to Santa Barbara or Palm Springs and checking into a decent hotel and eating for three days in restaurants...And you never have to sit around in your hotel room in Palm Springs or SB and say "So, what do we do next?"

• 1 year later...
does anyone know why the port of san diego was taken out of the 4 day monarch cruise?:confused:

:confused: We stopped in San Diego (and Catalina and Ensenada) when we were on her last week for a 4-day cruise...is this something new for 2008?

It's cheaper than driving to Santa Barbara or Palm Springs and checking into a decent hotel and eating for three days in restaurants...And you never have to sit around in your hotel room in Palm Springs or SB and say "So, what do we do next?"

That is exactly how we ended up booking the Monarch the first time. We were planning a long weekend for my birthday in Monterey or Santa Cruz and realized it would be cheaper to do the cruise, since lodging, food, and entertainment are all included in the price. Now we can't wait to go back! :D

does anyone know why the port of san diego was taken out of the 4 day monarch cruise?:confused:

This is just a guess, but the San Diego port is starting to get very busy, and it is just not equipped for this. The port can dock two cruise ships, perhaps a third. After that you start tendering. For November 2007 I counted six ships home ported in San Diego:

Carnival - Spirit and Elation

Princess - Dawn

HAL - Zaandam, Oosterdam and Ryndam

Perhaps RCI was just getting tired of fighting for dock space. Also, the big three in San Diego (Zoo, Wild Animal Park & Sea World) are better as all day trips. San Diego is on the mainland and is easy to get to. I would rather spend a day at sea than a day in San Diego, if I was on a cruise ship. I, and most others who cruise on the Monarch, can get to San Diego fairly easily.

Once you disembark from the Monarch it is two hours by car to San Diego. It is also two hours by car to the Monarch if you were visiting San Diego the day before.

At any rate, this is just my guess. I don't have any inside information.

I just looked at the July 9th cruise....and it's there...at least on Rccl....and still listed for my Oct. 1, 2007 cruise! But I agree with a previous poster, I would prefer a sea day, that San Diego! This is a great little cruise, however, would love more sea time!

Must have been a glitch It's listed now

09-Jul Los Angeles, California 5:30 PM

10-Jul San Diego, California 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

11-Jul Catalina Island, California 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Tendered

12-Jul Ensenada, Mexico 8:00 AM 5:00 PM Docked

13-Jul Los Angeles, California 6:00 AM

This is just a guess, but the San Diego port is starting to get very busy, and it is just not equipped for this. The port can dock two cruise ships, perhaps a third. After that you start tendering. For November 2007 I counted six ships home ported in San Diego:

Carnival - Spirit and Elation

Princess - Dawn

HAL - Zaandam, Oosterdam and Ryndam

Perhaps RCI was just getting tired of fighting for dock space. Also, the big three in San Diego (Zoo, Wild Animal Park & Sea World) are better as all day trips. San Diego is on the mainland and is easy to get to. I would rather spend a day at sea than a day in San Diego, if I was on a cruise ship. I, and most others who cruise on the Monarch, can get to San Diego fairly easily.

Once you disembark from the Monarch it is two hours by car to San Diego. It is also two hours by car to the Monarch if you were visiting San Diego the day before.

At any rate, this is just my guess. I don't have any inside information.

They have had 4 ships in port on one day before.

1152523243_4shipsinsandiego.jpg.a439fdacb46e98721e655446f7f3389f.jpg

The DH (with much arm-twisting) and I will be on the Monarch celebrating our anniversary on the July 2nd sailing. This is our first RCL ship and we are looking forward to checking it out even though it is for a short get out of town to celebrate the anniversary trip. Myself, I just can't wait to on a cruise ship again. Today going over the Golden Gate and spotting a (sorry Princess) ship all I could think of is...I have to book a cruise! Needless to say, guess what I did as soon as I returned to Sacramento today?!:D

The DH (with much arm-twisting) and I will be on the Monarch celebrating our anniversary on the July 2nd sailing. This is our first RCL ship and we are looking forward to checking it out even though it is for a short get out of town to celebrate the anniversary trip. Myself, I just can't wait to on a cruise ship again. Today going over the Golden Gate and spotting a (sorry Princess) ship all I could think of is...I have to book a cruise! Needless to say, guess what I did as soon as I returned to Sacramento today?!:D

Is that a sorry Princess ship? LOL...I've been on that sorry Princess ship, and she's not so sorry, she's beautiful!

;) I should have said sorry to mention another ship name on this thread! LOL See what happened - I saw a "princess" and could only remember after the long drive back to Sacramento tonight that I had to book something with royalty involved so I booked on the Monarch. :) :)

We've done the Monarch 4-day cruise three times. Its a great getaway even for us Northern Californians. We drive down the night before and step on board fresh the next day :cool:

I see that you live near Vegas. Many of us in southern California live relatively close to the San Pedro pier where the Monarch is. It's a great short cruise with no planes. Also, it's just a good ship. I always enjoy the Love and Marriage GAme, the Quest, and the entertainment. The food is good also. Some people really enjoy trivia, etc. Maybe, the best part of the Monarch are all the wonderful people who work on the ship. You will have a good time. Enjoy.

Robin :cool:

Hey Henderson.... I lived in Green Valley for 15 years! (now in Summerlin) I do believe it's so close and like other posters have said, we don't need a plane. I have sailed the itenerary before when the Viking Serenade was there... just for that reason. Close to home and at the time, cheap! I can't wait to have first hand experience of the crew, ship, and atmosphere!

I too, wouldn't mind having a sea day instead of SD. That is one thing I am missing... a sea day. I love sea days!

The pics that everyone has posted are awesome. I am curious though, how far is the parking to the port... walking distance?

D :)

Archived