If You Live/Lived

PAHORNER

If you have lived or currently live in a port city, have you ever just said I'm going on a cruise this weekend, on the spur of the moment and actually gone. I have often though about this, how FUN would that be. We have to plan so far in advance to go. It's like you live your life for that one/two week a year away. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has just up and gone.

Patty

We have thought about it, but we've never done it. We lived on the outskirts of Fort Lauderdale for a few years; now we live in Palm Beach County. A drive to the port is about an hour and a half.

I work, so I have to plan my vacations ahead of time.

Also, DH needs an HC cabin, and those are often impossible to get at the last minute. Given the handful of HC cabins on a ship, we have to make our arrangements many months in advance, and even then we may not get our first or second choice of cruises.

I thought the 7-day limit was discussed elsewhere on this board and someone said that there isn't one ... that people can book until the last minute?

Back in the early 90's while they were still healthy enough to do so my father and step-mother would drive down to the Miami/Ft Lauderdale area from Orlando to visit my uncle. They quickly learned they could go to the cruise terminals and pick up last minute....and I mean that literally....cruise deals. Several times I got these "We're getting on a ship right now and won't be back for 7 days!" calls from them. Health problems caused them to stop that well before 9/11 so I can't say for sure how long that lasted but it certainly hasn't been a possibility since the ports were put under tighter security after 9/11. As for the lead time, not sure it's 7 days as I get emails from my TA as little as 72 hours out with special offers. Since we both work and aren't close to any of the ports I don't pay much attention to those....not something we're prepared to take advantage of. Still and all, living in Florida would certainly open up a whole new selection.....it would be nice not to have to add $400 - $1,000 to every cruise for airfare. :)

Still and all, living in Florida would certainly open up a whole new selection.....it would be nice not to have to add $400 - $1,000 to every cruise for airfare. :)

It is nice! :)

Also, we have a choice of several ports within driving distance: Port Canaveral is about 2 hours from us ... then there's Miami and Tampa. But we've always sailed from Fort Lauderdale.

I am thinking how nice it would be to be retired and able to take advantage of some last-minute deals. Not sure how easy they are to come by these days, as I imagine there are a lot of retirees down here thinking the same thing!

One couple at our table on the 2005 GWV live in San Diego and they did a spur of the moment cruise in 2004. They just went down to the dock, told security that they wanted to talk to the HAL representative, a rep came out and talked to them, said it might be possible, came back out a bit later and processed them through. They were past passengers on HAL, so it may have helped that they were "known" to HAL.

Bottom line, yes, it can be done, but don't be disappointed if you can't do it.

I did a spur of the moment cruise in February 1998 - there was a group cruise arranged for belly dancers on the Carnival Holiday. I live about 20 minutes from LA's cruise terminal, so transportation was not an issue.

I'd just started classes a few months before, knew about the cruise and called the Monday before a Friday departure of a 3 night LA to Ensenada party cruise. There was an opening so I just went for it and had a blast. My roommate was one of the musicians, met a lot of fun people and took a bunch of dance classes (included for the group) on board during El Nino seas. That was something - the floor was rarely level! The only time our group had to perform on Sunday night was after all the regular entertainment finished at 1 am or something outrageous like that!

I'm not crazy for the Carnival atmosphere, but didn't care since i was with a group. It also took me a couple of weeks to get my equilibrium back though, felt like I was still at sea the whole time.

I don't think I could get on a cruise that late anymore.... It's still a travel highlight because of the sheer enjoyment of the weekend.

Jane

It`s not as easy to do that anymore, The Cruise line need all of your info 7 days out to satisfy security requirements. Just another thing they have to do now since 9/11.....jean:cool:

Actually, they can do it a lot quicker now ... more like 48 hours.

I would love to sail out of my home port city. Problem is that only NCL and RCCL sail from Philly ... and they only go to Bermuda. :(

New York isn't too far, though ... with a lot more variety from there.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I am thinking how nice it would be to be retired and able to take advantage of some last-minute deals. Not sure how easy they are to come by these days, as I imagine there are a lot of retirees down here thinking the same thing!

Actually, there are always deals ... a cabin here or there that is empty and they are looking to fill. Nothing is more perishable than an empty cabin ... or an empty airline seat ... so they are always looking to fill them ... and at distress prices too. They'll take a loss on the cabin, hoping that you make up for it with your onboard spending.

You can get your name put on the cruise line's registry for notification of "last minute" deals. So, if it is Tuesday and a ship is gonna sail on Saturday with 10 empty cabins, they notify you by email ... and offer a great price. Of course, you won't have your choice of cabins and this will only work if you are within easy driving distance of the pier ... cause you'd pay a bundle for airfare at the last minute ... but it sounds like a great way to get in a lot of nice cruises for what others pay for only a couple.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We live in Phoenix, so it is about 8 hours to either LA or San Diego. We have called our cruise consultant at HAL as early as 72 hours prior and goltten some smoking deals.

It is so worth it to keep travel necessities packed and then we can just take off on a whim. We have done so several times and enjoyed evey one.

Trisha

We live in Phoenix, so it is about 8 hours to either LA or San Diego. We have called our cruise consultant at HAL as early as 72 hours prior and goltten some smoking deals.

It is so worth it to keep travel necessities packed and then we can just take off on a whim. We have done so several times and enjoyed evey one.

I only wish I could be that flexible. :(

I'm only a couple of hours from New York, but unfortunately couldn't take advantage of these "last minute" specials due to the necessity of scheduling vacation time and coverage. :(

Two weeks notice would probably be the bare minimum I could work with.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I have done it, especially going out of Tampa! It was great fun. But you are talking to someone that will also take her grandson the Sunshine Skyway bridge/ Fort Desoto and watch the ships go by!

Living near a port and having the ability to driving 4 hours to get to a port provides the ability to get great deals on cruises! That is the benefit we get for living in hurricaine alley!

Susan

If you have lived or currently live in a port city, have you ever just said I'm going on a cruise this weekend, on the spur of the moment and actually gone. I have often though about this, how FUN would that be. We have to plan so far in advance to go. It's like you live your life for that one/two week a year away. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has just up and gone.

Patty

One of the advantage's to living in Florida is the HAL last minute deals for Florida residents. You can sign up and have last minute deals emailed to you. I have done this a number of times. We have taken cruise's on less than a week notice. That is one of the beauties of being retired, "I dont have to call in sick"!!!:D

I do not believe that there is a min time period either. I have been offered cruise's with less than 48 hour notice. In fact one was offered to me last month.

It`s not as easy to do that anymore, The Cruise line need all of your info 7 days out to satisfy security requirements. Just another thing they have to do now since 9/11.....jean:cool:

This is not correct..You can get last minute deals any time you want to..Homeland security does not check outgoing passengers..Only Incoming passengers are checked by immigrations & customs..As long as you have a passport or the required ID, you can get on an airline or cruise ship at the last minute..

I always keep my eyes open here in Vancouver around this time of year, and in September/October when the Alaska ships repo back to Mexico or the Caribbean. If I found a good last minute deal, I'd certainly take it :)

Especially after a week at work like I'm having now!

I lived in Juneau Alaska and worked right across from the cruise ship dock, everyday i would watch the ships come & go, but the closest i ever got to a ship back than was the ferry to skagway. It took a move to California and several years before i started cruising, now i can't be stopped.

If you have lived or currently live in a port city, have you ever just said I'm going on a cruise this weekend, on the spur of the moment and actually gone. I have often though about this, how FUN would that be. We have to plan so far in advance to go. It's like you live your life for that one/two week a year away. Anyway, just wondering if anyone has just up and gone. Patty

We are on the Dawn Princess out of SF this month. Booked her about 6 weeks ago, so that is pretty short notice. ;)

It will be interesting sailing from our home port. We did do a repositioning from FLL to SF and that was nice arriving home, picking up our vehicle and driving home (no flights :D )

How do you get your name on the last minute lists? I haven't seen them on the cruiseline sites anywhere. With many ships leaving out of NYC, that would be great for me.

You can register through Captain's Circle. We have gotten a number of email offers and even taken a couple of them. Hope to be getting more. :)

Archived