Why tip for room service?

Pudgesmom

Here's another question: If the room service delivery person is tipped, does he or she have to add that tip to the pool of tips? Isn't there some rule about the tips being pooled if the passenger auto-tips or doesn't?

How would they keep track of this if the tips are pooled?

I liked it better in the olden days!!!:confused:

Beth

Here's another question: If the room service delivery person is tipped, does he or she have to add that tip to the pool of tips? Isn't there some rule about the tips being pooled if the passenger auto-tips or doesn't?

How would they keep track of this if the tips are pooled?

I liked it better in the olden days!!!:confused:

Beth

It is my understanding that if you decide to personally tip whoever on board (the steward that shows you to your room on embarkation day, the room service guy, the bar waiter, etc.) they get to keep that amount and do not have to share it and/or put it in an employee pool.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that one!

BTW and excuses if I go OT too much, but there are now tip jars on your local Starbucks counter - even see them here in the drive-byes:eek: , sorry, I mean drive-thru windows. Does anybody here tip those employees? Do you consider them making your Venti cup of Decaf Komodo Dragon Blend services rendered "above and beyond"?

I'd go OT with you--- but I haven't yet been able to get into the MochaChocalata craze! :D :D I have taken the young uns'. I don't tip there as it seems much like a McDonald's or other fast food restaurant.

Beth

Copper10-8 some of this tipping is cultural. My daughter's boyfriend who is American recently visited us in northern Canada. We filled up the truck at the gas bar. A gas jockey came out and filled the tank and we went in to pay. our American friend was shocked we didn't tip the gas jockey. I'd never heard of such a thing. That's his job. It's what he does. No one tips the gas guy. So to answer your question I've never seen a tip cup here in the Starbucks but we're not the big city either. What's expected in one place is not necessarily the custom in others.:D

I'd go OT with you--- but I haven't yet been able to get into the MochaChocalata craze! :D :D I have taken the young uns'. I don't tip there as it seems much like a McDonald's or other fast food restaurant.

Beth

I'm with you on that one, Beth - I think it's over the top Next time, try a Chai Late - pretty good!

Copper10-8 some of this tipping is cultural. My daughter's boyfriend who is American recently visited us in northern Canada. We filled up the truck at the gas bar. A gas jockey came out and filled the tank and we went in to pay. our American friend was shocked we didn't tip the gas jockey. I'd never heard of such a thing. That's his job. It's what he does. No one tips the gas guy. So to answer your question I've never seen a tip cup here in the Starbucks but we're not the big city either. What's expected in one place is not necessarily the custom in others.:D

Makes a lot of sense, I'm with you too Mr Black - A "gas jockey" huh;) Don't have those here in la la land but then again we don't have dudes in intersections selling newspapers either like you see in Fla. Did you buy your TSA locks yet?;)

I frequently use room service for meals in a hotel, especially on arival day (I tend to get in around 8 or 9 at night). I used to tip generously, but when the hotel began adding 15% (and, now 18%) to the bill, I stopped.

As Susana noted, the person who delivers your tray is part of the auto-tip. Should they: show up on time, place the food where its accessible and - generally - be pleasant about it then the auto-tip should be sufficient. If the same person comes to our room multiple times, learns how we like the breakfast arranged and, in general, goes above and beyond then I'll also add in a little "above and beyond" the auto-tip.

Most of the rest of the world finds it amusing (when they don't find it demeaning) that Americans throw money at people for simply doing their jobs. Many Americans are uncomfortable with determining when additional payment is warranted and, so, try to tip everybody. I'm sure you can figure out when the service warrants an extra gratuity and act accordingly.

I agree with what Dave says. Coming from a country where tipping is not a way of life, for us it seems to be going over the top to tip the steward who brings the breakfast tray when a percentage of the automatic tip does go to him. It is really double dipping.

We do not tip the dining room steward each day when he brings us our breakfast, so I cannot see the difference. We do not need anyone to carry our trays in the Lido as we are quite fit and can do it ourselves. But if our trays were carried, again we would not be handing over a tip.

In Europe, there is usually a service charge added to the bill whether it be in a hotel or restaurant and that solves a lot of problems. I know tipping is part of the American way of life, but it is not so in so many countries and it does make it hard for people who are not used to it.

Jennie

Thanks, Dave....

I was thinking the same thing. An extra tip for having to go back because he forgot to bring everything that was ordered???!!!@1?!#

Sure....an extra tip if WE forgot to ORDER it.

We always tip for Room Sevice..without fail .... but I would not include extra for him making another trip because of his error.

How do YOU know he forgot it? How do you know who puts what on a tray ? I seriously doubt these guys put everything on a tray. If the omelet is missing the cheese you ordered, do you blame the steward who delivers it ?

What is extra ? Is it beyond the 10.00 ? You said you always tip for room service without fail. What is the difference between me tipping for room service and you tipping for room service ?

Please read my post. I was pointing out how hard these guys work. No where did I say I gave the guy an extra tip just because the guy had to go back for something that was forgotton.

I always tip for room service. I tip for the service provided.

Did you ever receive a tray and something was missing ? These guys will run back and get it for you. The ones I have come across work their butts off.

I don't think they receive much from the tipping pool. JMO.

I don't know what is considered doing something extra but these guys always do an excellent job and I feel they deserve to be tipped

Like others, I feel tipping is a personal thing and what I tip and the reason I tip is up to me. :)

I don't look at a missing item as something negative. I have found these guys bend over backwards to fix the problem, which is probably not their fault. :)

So let's see if I've got this straight: If the server forgets to bring something, you give a bigger tip??? If they simply forgot to deliver the tray, would you hunt him down and force money on him? :rolleyes:

The server should check to be sure he/she has everything on the order before making the trip, IMHO.

I don't think you have it straight. Read my post.

No where did I say I gave a bigger tip if the guy forgots to bring something.

Hunt him down ? Your post is beyond ridiculous but at least you used the correct icon.

"Aussie Gal" The may be a foolish question, but here goes. Since tipping is not the way of life in Australia and New Zealand, do you know if the automatic tipping is still used on the cruises that go there?

I think Copper has it right ... those tips can be retained by the person you give them to. The only time the employees have to return tips to the pool is if you remove the auto-tip from your bill, but give cash separately to the DR stewards or cabin steward, then they are obliged to return that money to the pool. This is, of course, the honor system but I think these guys are pretty good about sticking to the rules (unlike some of us;) ).

I agree with Gizmo that the steward delivering the tray to the room is most probably NOT the person who arranged the tray in the first place. So if they go back for something, I call that service beyond what is generally expected.

MrBlack, we don't call them "gas jockeys" here (although I rather like the term:) ), but until we moved to Florida in 2000 we lived in New Jersey where the stations are not self serve so someone always came to the car to fill your tank.

We never tipped them and no one did. I have never heard of that since I first started buying gas sometime back in the 60's. In fact, at one time they also washed our front and back windows and checked the air in our tires and no one I ever knew considered tipping.

But then again, times have changed and I guess if you're putting quarters in a Dunkin' Donuts cup, you would also tip the "gas jockey".

I agree with Gizmo that the steward delivering the tray to the room is most probably NOT the person who arranged the tray in the first place. So if they go back for something, I call that service beyond what is generally expected.

A good waiter checks the order against what's on the tray before delivering it. If the person taking the order forgot to write it down, that's one thing - I don't expect the steward to be a mind reader. But if something is on the order but missing from the tray - that's the steward's responsibility.

And, if the kitchen is anything like that in a hotel, the steward is sharing his tips with the person who "plates" the tray, giving that peson incentive to get it right.

Hi,

wow Mr black do you still have someone put the petrol in your car???? In the UK that went out many moons ago [sadly as I can never get the cap off, always spill the stuff etc].

Out of interest do you guys from over the pond actually tip in McDonalds? And to put the record straight I would and do tip in a restaurant onshore but not so much value wise.

The other thing i think - don't shoot me down in flames here - is that no one tips me for doing a good job. Most I get but never expect is chocolates at Christmas. Guess it is this service industry thing.

anyway I guess it really is a personal thing but influenced by what is the 'norm' in the country you come from.

happy Wednesday,

Teresa

PS Scrumpy I can't believe you have snow there!!!! Wow I'm even without tights today [that's a girl thing]

Teresa,

We (I'm assuming all will agree here) don't tip at fast food type restaurants where the food is ordered at the counter, then carried by the customer out of the restaurant or to his table. That's why the tip jar at a place like Starbuck's is of interest, as it would be a change to a "normal" procedure.

This type of tip jar seems to me, and some others, as a blatant ploy for extra money. Or maybe we're just as confused about that as some of us, including myself, are about onboard tipping!!!!:D

Beth

Teresa,

The tipping thing gets SOOOO tricky! Every time I turn around, I am wondering if I should be tipping someone, LOL! But, I don't tip at McDonald's. You're right; a whole lot of it really depends on the cultural norm and the individual's personal feelings. It is difficult to adapt whether you're used to tipping more or tipping less... Yes, we got a couple of inches of snow. It was coming down so hard for a while that I thought we were going to be in trouble. Probably 60-70% has already melted/evaporated, though. Crazy Colorado weather... I'd bet we were finished with winter, but someone was reminding me of how many times it's snowed on Memorial Day, so maybe I won't bet! You're without tights already? Wow! Must be pretty nice over there. Lucky you!!!

Scrumpy

Teresa,

We (I'm assuming all will agree here) don't tip at fast food type restaurants where the food is ordered at the counter, then carried by the customer out of the restaurant or to his table. That's why the tip jar at a place like Starbuck's is of interest, as it would be a change to a "normal" procedure.

This type of tip jar seems to me, and some others, as a blatant ploy for extra money. Or maybe we're just as confused about that as some of us, including myself, are about onboard tipping!!!!:D

Beth

What I find interesting is the parallel between the person making your coffee and a bartender. I tip bartenders. I used to be one and it's probably easier to make most drinks than it is to make some of those coffees... I wonder how the specific people are paid. In a tipping environment, it's not uncommon to make below the minimum wage. And, a couple of places I worked actively tracked your expected tip income based on percentage of sales so the income could be reported and properly taxed. Often, your pay check would be zeroed out with all that money held for income tax. Your net pay was your tips. That was one reason that those of us who did report our tip income would get so aggravated if we didn't get appropriate tips; we knew we could be auditted and held liable for "unreported income" that, in fact, we never actually received. A lot of people don't report all their tips, of course. And, in some places, you're not going to make enough money to pay taxes anyway, so you get money back at tax time. Your paycheck is just delayed and paid in one lump sum at the end...

But with a bartender, you're sitting there taking up space for a period of time (same as at a table) where someone else might sit. At McDonald's or DD, you order, take your bag and go. Still, I do put a quarter in the cup at DD because I go there often and I think the kids are so nice. But it goes against the grain with me because no extra service has been performed.

Teresa, I'm with you! I never got a tip in my life ... just a little something at Christmas if I was lucky;) .

Heather,

It's pretty common to go to the bar, order a drink and take it to counter or table, especially in crowded clubs or bars. Often, there isn't space at the bar itself for you to sit. Should have clarified that. I very rarely sit AT the bar; I like to sit at a table, but sometimes they don't have table service - or sometimes I'm hovering for ages waiting for a table. A lot depends on the club; some of them do primarily bar-only service and don't have much wait staff on the floor. This is probably an experience thing - I used to go out a lot and I worked tending bar and waiting tables in some of these places. They're not like nice, quiet lounges. More of your packed-in-like-sardines places where service is usually hurried because they're chronically over-full and under-staffed.

Scrumpy

As far as the overall cost being $20 or so, that's not true for us.

We usually book two cabins, one for us and one for the children. Both cabins order breakfast every day. My growing son eats several extra times a day and orders and adores room service. My husband and I frequently order later at night as we watch a movie and want a snack. We usually also eat dinner at least once in our cabin.

For us, the extra tipping would be much more money. On the breakfast thread, someone mentioned handing the server $5 for a delivery. I know that's higher than most, but at those rates, I would probably pay as much as $200 extra for a 7 day cruise.

That thought was what led me to the original post. I realized then, and still do now, that extra tipping is up to the individual. I WANT my room service waiter to be fairly compensated. However, I had always felt that I had already paid for my food to be delivered, either in the dining room or cabin. If room service were an "extra" charge, then I guess I would treat it like a massage or a drink in the bar, and tip accordingly. So that led me to wondering whether the servers associated with room service were included in the autotipping.

My thought now after reading the various posts and the article here on tipping in general, is that I will not tip extra for room service unless I receive something "extra" in addition to the regular delivery.

Despite a few setbacks, this has been a very interesting thread to read.

Beth

OK, I'm ready to duck........it's fine that each cabin orders breakfast every day; it's fine that you order late night snacks and also to have dinner "in". I don't know the ages of the 2nd cabin occupants but giving your son permission to order Room Service whenever the mood strikes is, in MVHO, over the top!

Now it's true that we all pay to have food delivered---- at scheduled times in scheduled locations!----- I doubt that there's a squad of Stewards available all day/night to supply Room Service.

I've never noticed a shortage of food on board,(OK, on the last day, the selection may not be as varied and lavish) but apart from a short closing time for cleaning, setting up etc., there's always the Lido, the Tacco Bar/Hamburger/Hot Dog stand, and, Kids (adults too!) Delight, the Ice Cream Bar. Fruit is available for the taking - you can even have it in your cabin if you request it and invariably, there are 'late night snacks' available in the Lido.

We all like to indulge our kids but I seriously wonder if we frequently go 'overboard'. What 'values' are we teaching?

No question, the decision is a personal one.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I consider room service on the ship to be along the same lines as that in a hotel. If I want something, I order it (and tip). I've never felt like I was causing too much work. If they are busy, we wait a little longer and that's okay. We like shrimp cocktail on the balcony late afternoon, sometimes with a glass of wine. Is this really a problem? I'm speaking as an adult, of course. I try not to get involved with how people handle their children as long as they keep them away from me, ha ha ha! But seriously, should I worry about how much we get room service?

On our cruises we always have breakfast delivered for two and usually a FULL breakfast at that and I always tip the delivery person $5.00 since he's delivering a lot of food. I noticed on the last cruise on HAL we did have the same delivery person every morning and he was VERY thorough and listed off every item we had ordered and if it wasn't there he made sure to go get it and bring it back. Did it have anything to do with the $5.00 tip every morning? I don't know, but either way I wouldn't dream of ordering room service (be it ship or hotel) and not tipping the delivery person something. Happy sailing!

OK, I'm ready to duck........it's fine that each cabin orders breakfast every day; it's fine that you order late night snacks and also to have dinner "in". I don't know the ages of the 2nd cabin occupants but giving your son permission to order Room Service whenever the mood strikes is, in MVHO, over the top!

What's over the top is your comment. Last I checked, there were no set limits on how many times you could order room service, nor how much you colud order. And, yes, there ARE always stewards standing by to do the delivery.

Would you also squawk about someone who visited the Lido Grill, or the ice cream bar - or the Crow's Nest - frequently????

Do you not eat "whenever the mood strikes?"

I'm sorry, but I think Beth deserves an apology for your comments.

But with a bartender, you're sitting there taking up space for a period of time (same as at a table) where someone else might sit. At McDonald's or DD, you order, take your bag and go. Still, I do put a quarter in the cup at DD because I go there often and I think the kids are so nice. But it goes against the grain with me because no extra service has been performed.

Teresa, I'm with you! I never got a tip in my life ... just a little something at Christmas if I was lucky;) .

"It goes against the grain" but you still drop a quarter in the cup - :eek: makes no sense! I worked during my College years - waitressed in our Cafiteria at lunch time - no pay, no tips - but we got a free lunch - the less popular items mostly! we never went hungry and I saved what my parents gave as a 'meal allowance. Also worked at various odd jobs on short class days, weekends and other down times.

A 'Tips Here' cup has recently appeared in our Second Cup and Timothy's - I ignore it! Our McDonalds and coffee chains almost all have table time limitations posted - usually maximum 20/30 minutes.......enforced during busy periods.

Little machines are appearing at many Public Parking Lots - you must to insert your CC before the barrier swings up - the card is returned but no ticket. On the way out you reinsert the CC - it comes back, together with a receipt showing length of stay and charge, before the barrier swings up. There's still someone in the booth but I'm sure that will soon change! No 'Tip Cups' visible :D

Again I have to say, on cruises we pay the 'gratuity', give extra to our special servers, and tip for Room service.

I gave up using Spa services on board - those employees are reasonably well paid, have room and board and, what most of them want, a chance to see the world. I might feel differently if they didn't badger me to buy this, that and the other, usually products only available from the States and for which I have to pay postage etc. It's just not on for me.

I'm in a 'service' industry - I'm paid to do what I do - at year end, if I've done well, I may receive a bonus and we always have a Christmas Party. Regular clients sometimes give chocolates or a seasonal plant. It's all much appreciated but we don't 'hint' with 'Tip Cups'. ;)

Now it's true that we all pay to have food delivered---- at scheduled times in scheduled locations!----- I doubt that there's a squad of Stewards available all day/night to supply Room Service.

We all like to indulge our kids but I seriously wonder if we frequently go 'overboard'. What 'values' are we teaching?

No question, the decision is a personal one.

No need to duck, unless its to let comments roll off your back!:D

But thank you, Dave, for your defense of my position. I'm hoping this won't digress into a discussion on another hot topic, parenting of on-board children!

As far as that goes, and since you brought it up, number one, the fare has been paid for any child traveling just like any other passenger, so, they are entitled to the same services as any other traveler. If a passenger of any age chooses to avail himself of a service, that is fine. Room service is included in the price of the cruise, just as is circling the promenade deck (0-100 times,) eating pizza (1-100) slices, attending bingo (1-???). Well, you get my drift.

MY children do not attend Club HAL. They love movies in their down time and will sometimes watch several a day. Why shouldn't they order a snack? (For the record, my son is 16, and a very well mannered center for the Number One high school team in the nation. Go, Carroll Dragons!) They're on vacation, too!

I think you're trying to say that there should be an "appropriate" amount of times to call room service in one day, maybe less for children. I heartily disagree, but of course, you're entitled to your opinion. We lead busy lives and especially enjoy spending time in our cabins or on our balconies reading or watching movies. We don't always want to interact with people. My DH is an airline pilot who relishes the time away from the hub-bub of airports. So, we stay in our cabins alot and order room service, which I believe, is part of the cruise experience.

Beth

I've been noticing tip cups showing up all over the place.

I stopped in our neighborhood Qwik Mart the other day and there was a tip cup beside the register so we could tip the girl working the cash register. Give me a break!! Tip her.....she sat there snapping her gum; yawned her painfully slow way through ringing in my three items and expected me to tip her for BARELY doing what she is paid to do.

No tip from me. Actually....there was only one quarter in it and I think she probably put it there herself.

Archived