Why tip for room service?

Pudgesmom

Teresa,

Here's a few tips from Brad:

1. You AND your pilot have the same goal: to arrive safely. Also, known as: he has a life and a family and wants to live a long time, too. Just thinking this makes me, Beth, feel very safe.

2. You're not alone. One in 10 have a fear of flying.

3. from me: there's always Xanax. :D

Beth

"It goes against the grain" but you still drop a quarter in the cup - :eek: makes no sense!.................

Sure it does! ... it makes 25 cents for someone!:) Seriously, of course it makes sense. I said it goes against the grain because I believe in my brain that I should not tip unless I'm given service over and above what's expected.

But I also said that I go there often and I like the kids so I throw a tip in the cup from my heart and I just ignore my brain. So that's the sense it makes to me:D .

Teresa, Xanax (or its equivalent generic) is something you don't want to take too much, but it's a wonderful prescription anti-anxiety drug that takes the edge off. That's all it does. You don't feel any different (unless you overdose), but the fear is diminished. I get 30/year from my doctor and generally have some left over. But I take one just before I travel or when going through an experience that is making me overly anxious and it helps get me through. If you fear flying, I'm sure it would help you. My husband's ex-wife is actually who told me about it years ago because she is terrified to fly.

Pudgesmon: Hi -

My comments were prompted by your Post (#59) made yesterday, i.e. “I would probably pay as much as $200 extra for a 7 day cruise.”

I don't apologize for ‘MY Very Honest Opinion’ as stated (giving your son permission to order Room Service whenever the mood strikes). Of course if you order for the children, that's are a very different story. Far be it from me to comment on parenting - I simply expressed an opinion based only on how we would do things.

In no way was I saying/implying/ that there should be a limit on the number of Room Service calls. Food Service is included in the cruise cost – we also very frequently use Room Service - and no explanation of why is necessary (unless perhaps someone else is paying our bills – and that NEVER HAPPENS!) and tip accordingly.

$10.00 per person per day is not much when split in so many ways so $5.00 to the Room Service fellow for a full dinner does not seem unreasonable considering the convenience of not having to dress up and leave the cabin. $2.00 for breakfast for 2 is not unreasonable either.

DH and I work in fast paced industries – phones, people all day – we too cruise to veg. out and recharge. We avoid port intensive itineraries and often don’t bother to go ashore, preferring the quiet of a half empty ship. :D

Now dakrewser :

I can only suggest that you more carefully read and comment on what was actually said in my post!

Oh! like most everybody else, I have been known to eat whenever the mood strikes!

"Aussie Gal" The may be a foolish question, but here goes. Since tipping is not the way of life in Australia and New Zealand, do you know if the automatic tipping is still used on the cruises that go there?

Yes, on the HAL and Princess ships that are here over summer, the automatic tip of $10US is in place as most of the passenger are U.S. citizens and obviously the powers that be feel that this amount is correct.

On the Pacific Princess, which we have here for 3 months of the year and the cruises are sold only to Australians, the tipping is different. Even though the crew are the same as man the ship when it is in other areas of the world, the automatic tipping is a lot less. It is $7Aud which comes down to probably around $4.50 to $5.00US depending on the rate of exchange.

The only time we tip here is when we have been out to a meal in a good restaurant, not a cheapie, and then we only give 10% or less. The waiters do not expect it and are not standing around waiting for it. We usually leave it in the folder that comes with the account and they do not know if they have been tipped until after we leave the restaurant. Everyone here gets a decent wage and therefore a tip is a bonus and I think it is pooled.

Jennie

Pudgesmon: Hi -

I don't apologize for ‘MY Very Honest Opinion’ as stated (giving your son permission to order Room Service whenever the mood strikes). Of course if you order for the children, that's are a very different story. Far be it from me to comment on parenting - I simply expressed an opinion based only on how we would do things.

cruiseoften,

It was not me that requested an apology.

I don't know how old your children are, but I feel that two older teenagers are very capable of deciding when they're hungry. (My empty refrigerator is evidence of that!) And many times, we are not in the same place at the same time. I feel that's one of the benefits of a cruise, the children are not always looking for me for cash. I also feel vacations are a good chance for letting young adults/children to get a little farther away from the nest. How exciting and innocuous to order your meal yourself! Of course, we all do things differently. My very good Canadian friend has a MUCH looser rein on her kids than I do!

You have now said twice, "whenever the mood strikes." I think the "mood" you are referring to is hunger. A 16 year old 6'2" 220 lb. football player is "struck" by the hunger "mood" frequently. He eats, eats and eats. That's why all you can eat cruise food is great for him. If he chooses to eat some of that in his cabin, why would that not be "fine?" You seem to think it inappropriate (I'm reading decadent parental indulgence.)

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Beth

Oh, and I also wanted to add that my children have busy lives to vacation from, too. They are both doing well in advanced college preparatory classes, work, volunteer, and play sports.

Our experience on HAL yesterday morning was the following: room service attendant was miffed that my wife and I had ordered seperate trays for breakfast and made it known he expected us to share a tray.

We ignored what he said and also ignored giving him a tip.

PS -- Wonder if he expects the singles travelling alone and choosing to share a cabin to share also.

I don't understand your message.

Did you order Room Service to be delivered at two different times? If that was the case, of course, you would need separate trays.

Did you request a tray be brought for each of you but delivered at the same time?

Why would you need two trays IF you had your breakfast delivered at the same time.

No one eats off the tray, do they? Doesn't everyone remove whatever plates/dishes are their food and put the tray aside?

I have to be misunderstanding something as I totally confused. :confused

Our experience on HAL yesterday morning was the following: room service attendant was miffed that my wife and I had ordered seperate trays for breakfast and made it known he expected us to share a tray.

What ship were you on? Did you have a good time. Hope you'll tell us about your cruise.

Welcome back.

We ignored what he said and also ignored giving him a tip.

PS -- Wonder if he expects the singles travelling alone and choosing to share a cabin to share also.

Would you mind explaining the advantages of two separate trays? Unless you stayed in the PH, the tables in the staterooms are on the small side and are just big enough to hold one tray, Two trays means two separate trips from the galley and/or two separate stewards. He probably shouldn't have showed his "dismay" but these guys more than likely have several orders to deliver at specified times. With one tray, he puts that puppy down on your table and you're good to go! I guess I don't get the big "two tray" picture:confused:

I, also, am confused by the two separate trays. However, we like to split the food up on our tray. I like to sit on the bed and eat with the tray underneath. This provides a stable platform and also protects the bedding.

My husband eats elsewhere. I wonder if this poster could have requested "two trays" so that each diner could have a separate platform. Those in-room tables are really small. Maybe he just wanted an extra tray for a tabletop, in which case the server could have stacked the trays and put the food on top of both of them.

Beth

As two of my children have been in the restaurant service industry, I believe in tipping for Room Service.

If you get room service early in a cruise and give a nice tip for timely, well set up food, the next time the service will be even better (per my kids). If not suit yourself but the wait service will act accordingly and you will have a variety of people dropping it off for you.

Linda

I haven't tipped for room service and I've always had the food right when I asked for it. I order breakfast at a specified time every day. Furthermore it's usually someone different that brings it in each morning so I don't see that giving a tip is going to make them keener the next day. On the few times when I've ordered something in the afternoon it's always come quite promptly. :)

Furthermore it's usually someone different that brings it in each morning so I don't see that giving a tip is going to make them keener the next day.

We certainly don't tip RS thinking we are assuring good service the next order/day and I don't know anybody who tips for that reason. We tip each and every RS steward for the wonderful job they did in delivering that particular order.

Our tips to anybody on the ship are not bribes for continuing good service. A gratuity given is a thank you.

LHC said "If you get room service early in a cruise and give a nice tip for timely, well set up food, the next time the service will be even better (per my kids). If not suit yourself but the wait service will act accordingly and you will have a variety of people dropping it off for you."

My point was the srevice was always good and prompt so I didn't think the above generalization applied. :)

Mel

Exactly...when you tip somebody, it lets them know that you have appreciated their special 'touch' and the care given to attend to your needs. I wish there was more I could do to express my appreciation to HAL employees, since they have always given us service with a smile and a lovely attitude, to boot.:)

I wish there was more I could do to express my appreciation to HAL employees, since they have always given us service with a smile and a lovely attitude, to boot.:)

Speaking of boot(s), hope your big toe is getting better and, btw, I would be more than happy to give you some pointers reference the above question! ;)

I, also, am confused by the two separate trays. However, we like to split the food up on our tray. I like to sit on the bed and eat with the tray underneath. This provides a stable platform and also protects the bedding.

My husband eats elsewhere. I wonder if this poster could have requested "two trays" so that each diner could have a separate platform. Those in-room tables are really small. Maybe he just wanted an extra tray for a tabletop, in which case the server could have stacked the trays and put the food on top of both of them.

Beth

The separate trays are just a matter of personal preference. There was plenty of room in the cabin for two trays and I ate at the desk while using my computer while my wife breakfasted in bed.

Actually, I do not object particularly to having one tray only or stacking all the food on one tray but providing two trays -- what I objected to was the case of "attitude" the room service attendant showed. If he had just asked if we minded sharing a tray -- no problem, I would have gladly agreed. But to be scolded for ordering two trays -- no thanks!

In HAL' s favour, however, I must say this is the only case we have found. All the other staff on-board are most friendly, helpful and go out of their way to make the cruise enjoyable.

I did verify with the Dutch officer in charge of the front office that the room service attendants do share in the auto-tip arrangements. If they did not participate, of course I would have given the attendant a modest tip for modest tip and provided he gave better service on the following days would have given him a better tip. After all, everyone has a bad day now and then.

I agree......If you requested your breakfast be delivered on two trays, it should have been delivered on two trays.

Happy that seemed to be the only aggravation you encountered.

• 5 weeks later...

I will be on my first cruise this Summer (Alaska, Veendam, 7/23). It was interesting to read the threads about tipping and autotipping. It is so different in different places and I found the information useful.

I remember in Japan (back in 1986) tipping was completely unknown. If you left money on a cafe table the waiter would run after you as he thought you had forgotten it.

Here in Israel, a service charge (usually 10-15%) is often automatically added to restaurant/cafe/bar bills. If not, a mention that "SERVICE IS NOT INCLUDED" is usually added, and the same percentage is expected.

:)

Sarah, after you've filled your tray and when you turn to find a table, a HAL employee will offer to carry the tray for you. :)

I don't agree that this always occurs...On our 26 day cruise, we had lunch in the Lido every day..Only 5 or 6 times a HAL steward offered to carry my tray..I believe they do offer to carry your tray if you look like you really need help...I always smiled & thanked each one of the stewards, but never gave them a tip..If the same person had carried my tray every day, I probably would have tipped a small amount at the end of our cruise, as we do with our dining room stewards..

If we had room service I would tip a few dollars though..JMHO

I don't agree that this always occurs...On our 26 day cruise, we had lunch in the Lido every day..Only 5 or 6 times a HAL steward offered to carry my tray..I believe they do offer to carry your tray if you look like you really need help...I always smiled & thanked each one of the stewards, but never gave them a tip..If the same person had carried my tray every day, I probably would have tipped a small amount at the end of our cruise, as we do with our dining room stewards..

I would have never thought to tip the guy who carries my tray in the Lido. I think those stewards are also the waiters in the dining room as well. I always figured the waiters get their share of the auto-tip, so there is no reason to tip the waiter in the Lido if he carries my tray. As a sidenote, the only time I've accepted the steward's offer to carry my tray is if the seas were particularly bad that day and I'm afraid of tripping and dropping everything. Normally, I politely decline his offer as I would rather he be available for folks who really need some help.

Another reason I never tip the stewards in the Lido is because I usually don't have any money on me when I'm aboard the ship. I leave my cash in the cabin safe since I know I don't need it onboard ship. Though I do keep a few dollars in one of the drawers ... and would use that to tip for room service ... I generally don't carry money around with me on the ship since there's no need to.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Teresa, Xanax (or its equivalent generic) is something you don't want to take too much, but it's a wonderful prescription anti-anxiety drug that takes the edge off. That's all it does.

It's also a great sleeping aid. I use Xanax when I fly ... not because I have any fear of flying, but rather because I get very claustrophobic wedged into those coach seats. The Xanax gets me through the flight by helping me to sleep ... and that's the only way I can fly.

This problem has gotten worse for me as I've gotten older, and I am now at the point where when I fly cross-country I have to purposely book connecting flights because I can't stand a long uninterrupted flight for that long a period of time.

Luckily, though, Xanax is all I need for a flight to Florida from Philly. It's not a long flight, and if I can nod off for an hour or so, it makes it bearable.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived