Live From The Island - Alaska 2006

ccrain

We're here!

Headed north to Ketchikan with a keyboard that has a sticky "t" key.

Ship is in wonderful condition. After two cruises in a Sun Class balcony cabin, we'd forgotten how nice a mini was. The aft facing balcony bumpout was a shrewd move on my part. Its perfect. Very little wind.

Pod of Orca's off the dining room last night. Zander was good, Tourneado's of beef with pepper corn sauce better. Table 94A and B for two next to window. Nice tip from others.

Richard Joseph is CD. I am saving patters for scanning and I do have .pdf menus.

CC meeting last night was slow. Hopefully more show up for lunch.

See ya all later...Live From The Island...Having a blast...

Thanks for your post. Sounds like you are off to a wonderful start. Regarding dining table information, are you traditional or PC?

Can't wait to hear how the rest of the trip goes. Leaving Friday for Anchorage and will join everyone on 5/22.

Hi ccrain..

Just got off the Island yesterday, and we scored 94-A in the PC dinning room for the whole 9 days .. Great !!

Just a question, is Dorin (from Romania) back as your waiter, he got sick or hurt the last couple of days, so we had the emergency waiter called up from the Horizon court to temporarly replace him.. (he was not very good)

Just Curious

Srpilo

Heading to ketchikan today. Lots to do, little time, great fun.

Couple of notes. The waiters rotate each cruise, so no one is in the same place. We just scored 94, table for 2 at window, PC Dining, tonight (first formal). Lobster Bisque, best of the last 4 ships, was the hit of the evening. Judy had the crayfish, I had the salmon, both good.

We've never tried to PC before, this is a first for us and so far we like it. We're done with dinner and can hit two shows and a game show and maybe some dancing before we turn in.

BTW, the love boat dream is back on the always available dessert menu. Lunch was good with the CC group today. Problems with the internet today, but solved by good old power on reset.

We'll keep her in good shape for the southbound crowd. Remember, 5-6 pm on Monday in the wheelhouse bar. They had a really neat setup for us on the Northbound.

Princess is starting to recognize the CC people more and more lately.

Heading for a drink and a show now. Having fun and taking it easy!

Charles and Judy...

Hi ccrain!

Thanks for posting. I'm really enjoying your updates, especially since I will be on the Island Princess in just a few weeks!! I hope you continue to enjoy your trip and update whenever you are able. By the way, have you noticed if they are still offering the Alaska cruise companion book onboard this year? Just wondering if it is still available?

Thanks again,

Kristi

We will be making our booking for Hawaii on the Island this A.M. :D

Many thanks for your table tip, I will be looking into this. May you and yours enjoy your cruise, your in one of the worlds most beautiful areas. Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

ccrain, I'm so glad you're doing the "live" posts :D Our group on the 5/29 sailing has been watching the webcams and feel like we're sailing with you!

Have a great cruise and I can't wait for more information :)

Linda

:D Thanks for posting Charles and Judy!

We'll be right behind you on the Sun Princess 5/28 Inside Passage. I think we do some of your ports so we are interested in your observations!

Debbie and Richard

Glad you are enjoying your cruise and fingers are crossed for you have great weather.I have the Island Princess webb Cam on our board I am another Linda travel buddy on the 5/29 cruise.You have done a lot of work for the ones you are sailing with on you b2b and you should be proud of it,are you sure you don't want to do a b2b2b and sail with us :confused: I'll buy you a drink:D

emmy

I am so glad to hear that they have the Love Boat Dream back on the AA menu! We just got off the 9 repo cruise, and it was not offered AT ALL , the entire cruise. Luckily, I asked earlier in the cruise when they were going to have it. The head waiter arranged for us to all get it at our table of 10. I must say, after eating this FAV dessert on the last 15-20 cruises, this one we had was one of the BEST! When I have had it made special in the past, it is always a little lackluster.

Have a great trip!

Kristi, What is the cruise companion book? I am going to Alaska this year also and don't want to miss anything. Marilee

Marilee,

The Alaska Cruise companion is a terrific guide and map of the route Princess sails in Alaska. Tons of great information that you can follow along with - once onboard the Patter will refer to the book for interesting sights along the way. On our Coral cruise the Captain was autographing the books as well. You can order it ahead of time and have it delivered to your home or it will be waiting onboard when you arrive.

Here's the link: http://www.princess.com/onboard/services/gifts/boutiques_4.html

Have a great cruise.;)

Waking up to Ketchikan bright and early after a late night. I think I'm going to like PC dining early in the evening. We caught the production show, Curtains Up, the Passenger Feud and the Comedy act, all in the same night, and did not go to bed bloated and full. Even woke up, seriously, a little hungry this morning.

NO RAIN THIS MORNING. Mostly cloudy, but not bad for Ketchikan. Did the waking tour of the town and then the lumberjack show. We missed the show the last trip and caught it this trip. A good time. Did our coupon book shopping (pick them up at the ship in Vancouver). Not bad pricing.

Got back to the ship about 1200 and did pizza for lunch, a little hot tubbing and lotus pooling, the a nice little power nap. I love this bumpout mini-suite. Great views of the city. As we left the port and traveled north, I was able to just sit comfortably in a tee shirt and watch Wal-Mart go by, along with a couple of eagles, seaplanes and a catamaran.

We have met another couple on their first ever cruise. She is literally pinging off of the walls. She is having the time of her life and loving every minute of it. Judy spotted her across the theatre, easily, since she was the only one bouncing off the ceiling. It is so refreshing to see someone enjoying every single minute of a cruise with no complaints, only awe and wonder. Makes us appeciate our cruise even more. (BTW, their photo is the only one in the photo gallery that moves.)

Scored table 94 at 530 again, cancelled Sabatini's since this was ITALIAN NIGHT - our favorite night. The Eggplant Parmesan was great! I had the swordfish and the pork loin, plus the tiramuso and the ice cream dessert, plus a cappacino to top it off. Judy had the shrimp. All excellent. And then to top it all off, the whales were off our side of the ship as we went through the Snow Passage. No tails, but a couple of good blows as we slowed for the passage in the narrow channel - we did feel the ship list a bit as the captain pointed out the port side, and half the ship rushed to see. Could not have been better, except that it was...

The snow capped peaks on each side of the ship were in direct sun and simply glowing off the clouds. The contrast was incredible. The last time we were through this in 2001, it was dark. In fact we're headed back up on deck, those hidden decks on the back of the Island, to see the midnight sun glinting off the wake...

That's the update for the night. We're done with dinner, headed to all the shows and some late night dancing.

Having a great time and lovin every minute of it...

Charles and Judy...

ccrain, thanks for the wonderful day-by-day commentary - it brings back memories except we were on the Coral.

Who is the Naturalist on Board? Coral had Barbara (Bennett?) and she was extraordinary with her hands-on lectures and commentary.

Gotta love it! " watching Wal-Mart go by, along with a couple of eagles, seaplanes and a catamaran. "

It doesn't get better than that!

Can't wait to do Alaska next summer!

Charles,

Thanks for the great post. Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. We have used the PC dining option on our past two cruises. We have enjoyed it so much we don't think we will ever go back to traditional dining. Glad to hear you are enjoying the bump out cabin, we will be in one next week. Hope our view is just as great.

Limo picking us up in a couple of hours. Overnighting it at an airport hotel and then fly out early AM for Anchorage. Wishing you great weather and more memorable moments. See you Monday at the sailaway.

Karen

Headed to Sabatinis for dinner, (tonight is Continental, nee French, and our least favorite menu) so will be short and sweet. Our first do it youself day. Went to bed early last night and slept pretty good, but the new mattresses will get a pretty bad score for reasons I will discuss later on...

As usual, sprinkles and overcast in Juneau this morning. Its an Ak thing for sure. Got up worked out, had breakfast and then headed to the Mt Robert's tram. A great view from the top. Lots of snow left so our hike was short, but pretty intense. No major wildlife, but there are deer and bear tracks in the snow. I expect a lot more wildlife after the snow melts, but the view down the hill was pretty incredible. Watched the Tlingit film in the theatre. Very well done and informative. I would rate the Mt Roberts thing a must do at a very reasonable price.

Spent about two hours on the mountain and then took a local express bus ($12 each round trip) to Mendenhall. Hiked out to Nugget falls. You can walk all the way to the falls. Great views of the blue on blue ice at the base of the glacier. The arctic terns are nesting as well. There are tons of quartz laden rock if you want to look for gold as well. Different areas around the base of the glacier have an abundance of habitat to look at and in a few weeks the salmon get here to see as well. A very cheap, but great excursion.

For those of you planning, I would plan on spending at least 2-3 hours on Mt Roberts and 2-3 hours at Mendenhall. We're coming back next week and will spend the entire day at Mendenhall just to see what we missed today. Mt Roberts will have much less snow and the hiking and wildlife viewing will be much better.

Came back to town and went shopping with all the special coupons in the book. Tasted Taku wild smoked salmon - incredible but whoa is it expensive. So we went into the Twisted Fish next door and had Alaskan Amber Ale (MMMMMMMM) and the smoked salmon appetizer.

Now for the beds. The new minisuite mattresses are the most comfortable yet - for one person. The ravine in the middle that brought you closer to your significant other is now a hump about the size of a speed bump. Unless both people can fit on the one twin, which we can't comfortably, you are all alone on your side of the hump. Might as well have a wall there - and as Judy says, we ain't that old or that tired of each other yet! Anyway, that's the only thing I have to complain about.

Service has been great. Food is good to very good. The buffet is the buffet and is about as usual for breakfast - don't expect gourmand, but the Eggs Florentine this morning were pretty tasty!

For the budget concious. Water is $3 per liter on board and canned soft drinks are $1.50 each. There is water and soda at every stop. We picked up a 12 pack of soda in Vancouver and will restock in Skagway along with a couple of 6 packs of water bottles. In ketchikan a 6-pack of soda or water was $2.99 right next to the ship - so not too far to lug it.

Charles,

Thank you so much for keeping us posted with such great information although I wasn't to thrilled with the hump in the middle of the bed:( Looks like prices are the same as we pay for sodas and such in the lower U S.Being Pepsi and 7 up drinkers we are glad to hear that.I hope the weather coninues to get better and better for you and all your sailing buddies.Keep the dailies coming we all appreciate it:)

emmy

We'll be sailing on Island 8.28.06 and I have a question for anyone. Why is table 94 preferable? How do you request it? and are there other equally preferable tables? We're PC as well. As usual, I'm blown away by the information you can get on CC boards.

Archived