Formal Nights? Yay or Nay?

We are leaving in a week for a 12 day Med cruise. We had planned on taking DH's suits and my fancy dresses in a garment bag for formal nights. But, the more I contemplate the logistics of another piece of luggage (and the weight limits for our flights), I wonder if it might be better to forego formal night altogether. We could save the hassle and eat room service or casual dining.

What are the advantages of participating in formal night other than the fun of dressing up??

After 30 something cruises I've had enough formal nights. The weight of the suitcase alone is enough to stop me but now with the airline restrictions on weight and how my clothes wrinkle I'll opt to forgo formal nights whenever possable. I was recently on Xpedition where it is casual everynight, what a pleasure.

A 12-nighter plus any pre- or post-cruise stay means a lot of clothes, even without the formal wear. I'm sure you could eat in the specialty restaurants on formal night, in smart-casual clothes. Room service is pretty cool to have on your balcony, at least once.

Well, I guess I am the odd ball here. We LOVE formal nights when everyone looks so nice. Seems like a real cruise to dress up sometime. We have found it is very easy to leave DH tux at home and rent one on the ship. It is always hanging in the room when we board and we leave it when we leave. No heavy luggage that way. And I have found nice light weight formal wear which I pack easily. We will be on the 14 night Med. in Oct. and are hoping for 3 formal nights. Sorry others don't enjoy them as much. It is not just a novelty for us either because we have 3 black tie occassions at home per year. Just nice, classic fun.

I'd much rather go to the dining room and deal with the formal clothes than eat room service-style. If the ship is underway, the balcony is really breezy and uncomfortable for eating, IMHO! The food is fine, but not as nice as the dining room! Plus, you don't get to show off how wonderful you look! Go out and get one of the new light-weight suitcases that have a garment bag built in. Our large bag only weighs 13 lbs, and has plenty of room for folded clothes as well as hanging! The smaller bag is a 9 lb, with the same features. We took formal clothes for 2 people for 2 formal nights, securely packed in the suitcase. No problem!

I love formal nights. My family really enjoys getting all dressed up. I think people act slightly differently when really dressed up as opposed to being in bermuda shorts and shirts. It is also a really good time to get family photos. We don't really buy the pictures they sell on the ship, but if we do, its on formal night.

BIG yay to formal nights! It maintains the authenticity of a bygone era, when the days of sailing meant dressing up for dinner.

BIG BOO to "smart casual" nights. Don't get me wrong, but to me, that is the dumbest formality ever. If you follow it, it means having to drag along a suit AND a separate jacket....we have TWO smart casual nights in three weeks, and I plan on wearing just a nice pair of trousers and a shirt, and that's it. I might even wear sandals both nights.

A 12-nighter plus any pre- or post-cruise stay means a lot of clothes, even without the formal wear. I'm sure you could eat in the specialty restaurants on formal night, in smart-casual clothes. Room service is pretty cool to have on your balcony, at least once.

Specialty restaurants are "formal" on formal nights.The windjammer is your best option.

Yay for formal nights! We would rather bring our formal attire and lighten up on other clothing, thereby utilizing the ship's laundry service, rather than missing a forml evening in the dining room. We usually celebrate our anniversary on a cruise and make it into an additional formal evening for ourselves in one of the specialty restaurants. DH and I both enjoy getting dressed up, but we also realize it's not everybody's cup of tea and don't chastise those who choose not to dress and attend formal evenings in the dining room.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

We are leaving in a week for a 12 day Med cruise. We had planned on taking DH's suits and my fancy dresses in a garment bag for formal nights. But, the more I contemplate the logistics of another piece of luggage (and the weight limits for our flights), I wonder if it might be better to forego formal night altogether. We could save the hassle and eat room service or casual dining.

What are the advantages of participating in formal night other than the fun of dressing up??

The elegance of dressing up. It is so depressing to see men in leisure suits and women in sundresses on formal night. Come on! Some people think dressing that way is thumbing their nose at the cruise line wanting people to dress up. BAH! It's just being lazy. Even people who might not normally dress in tuxes and gowns get "dolled up". It makes you feel special - and kinda sexy too! Pass up the extra pair of jeans and go for it!

My husband and I are sailing on the Navigator on June 24 (together with my parents and friends of ours) and we are looking forward to formal night. None of the men are wearing tuxes, but the ladies are all wearing either gowns or fancy skirts and tops. I personally like the idea of getting dressed up and going to dinner. I am in my mid-40's and can't believe how people dress when they go out to dinner. I think it is really special for my husband and I to get dressed up and go out to dinner. For some reason, it just makes the food taste better!

I enjoy formal nights but the more cruises we go on, the less I take. I take a basic long black dress (Chico's) and wear it with different sparkly jackets. They take up very little space. The dress can be wadded up and it still looks fine.

I figured formal nights would mostly appeal to the older crowd. However, I was amazed to see that the most beautifully dressed people on our cruises has been the younger set. They seemed to be totally into the whole thing and they looked so INCREDIBLE!! They were having fun, felt great about themselves, I just really enjoyed watching them.

I have always detested formal nights because I felt so uncomfortable. But on my last cruise, I actually bought a new outfit and paid particular attention to how my outfit fit me. Guess what, if your clothes are the right size, you can actually be comfortable and well dressed, lol. I'm not overweight, but in the past I've always bought clothes that are really petite and don't have any "give" in them; I added insult to injury by wearing excrutiatingly painful shoes (but they looked great, by gosh). We had a blast last cruise on formal night, so I think it's a night worth keeping. Perhaps if they reduced it to only one night, people would feel more supportive of the concept.

BTW, we ate in a specialty restaurant on formal night. We were the ONLY ones there in smart casual; everyone else was dressed in formal attire. It didn't ruin our evening by any means, but I did feel out of place for a few moments when we first walked in and I realized our faux pas. No one said a word about it, it was simply my own discomfort and it quickly passed.

The elegance of dressing up. It is so depressing to see men in leisure suits and women in sundresses on formal night. Come on! Some people think dressing that way is thumbing their nose at the cruise line wanting people to dress up. BAH! It's just being lazy. Even people who might not normally dress in tuxes and gowns get "dolled up". It makes you feel special - and kinda sexy too! Pass up the extra pair of jeans and go for it!

Not everyone that skips dressing up is lazy so don't try to put us all in one group. After 27 cruises I am over formal nights. I cruise to relax and enjoy myself. I also do not eat dinner in the dining room on those nights so that I won't take away from those that do.

To the OP do what makes you feel comfortable. 12 nights is a lot of nights and a lot of clothes.

Some people will dream up all kinds of schemes to get out of formal night. You are going on a Med Cruise - right? That would be overseas - Right? Most airlines allow 70 lbs per bag on overseas flights. You are allowed 2 or 3 bags, depending on the airline. That is 140 - 210 lbs of clothing. Maybe you should consider leaving 50 lbs of Flip-Flops at home, then you might have enough room in your suitcase.

Nobody can answer this for you.........they can try.........some can provide smart answers..........but this is up to you.........I agree with crusingator.........while I haven't been on quite that many cruises......after 12 or so.........I get less and less formal.........

Enjoy your cruise..........

Growing up I remember hearing the stories my grandparents told me about travelling transatlantic by ship back and forth to England 40-50 years ago. They brought along my mother and her brother all the time, travelled first class and everyone was always dressed. The stories stuck with me, after I got married and had the ability to take a cruise, the one thing we really looked forward to was "formal night". Now we try to go once a year, my wife begins thinking about what gowns she is going to bring 3 months out. It is a tradition and with so few traditions left in the world today, I think we should treasure a few which define history, such as the history of cruising and how it has evolved through the years to a common vacation type for many today. I understand that everyone has their own oppinion, but think of the romance and elegance of formal night before you choose not to participate in it.

Thanks for everyone's input... I guess I was wondering if RCCL's food was extra-special those nights or if there was any entertainment or anything else we would be missing out on IF we didn't dress up?

The last cruise I went on (not RCCL), everyone changed out of their attire right after dinner, so the clothes got about two hours of wear. Now, all my flip flops can be worn the other 22. ;)

Some people will dream up all kinds of schemes to get out of formal night. You are going on a Med Cruise - right? That would be overseas - Right? Most airlines allow 70 lbs per bag on overseas flights. You are allowed 2 or 3 bags, depending on the airline. That is 140 - 210 lbs of clothing. Maybe you should consider leaving 50 lbs of Flip-Flops at home, then you might have enough room in your suitcase.

I don't think that the OP was "dreaming up a scheme" to get out of formal night. In fact I would not need a reason at all, except I just don't want to! I prefer going to the formal nights, but that is MY opinion only, and I would never criticize someone for choosing otherwise. It's frankly none on anyones business, although some will tell you if they see someone on formal night in less then formal wear that it ruins thier vacation.:confused: :confused: Gimme a break, if they dont like it, I sugest to them.. don't look! WOW there's a concept.. minding ones own business!:eek:

To the OP, enjoy your cruise.. I'm sure you will have a great time with or without formal attire!

-Mike

I loe formal nights, but I am not you and you have to haul your luggage. I do not change my attire after the meal. One dress was too expensive and I spent two month beading the other one. Besides my husband never dresses so nicely at home.

Archived