Best Piano Entertainer on Carnival?

CrusinAgain

Has anyone reported on Bruce Mcghie on the Elation.

We will be on board 10/15/2011 and was curious what to expect.

Thanks,

Don

I've got a soft spot for Bruce. I sailed with him last June and again in September on the Glory. You will be sailing with him on what will be the last week of what became a somewhat long and trying contract.

This is what I posted after sailing with him for the first time in June:

"I just got off the Glory this past Saturday. I spent every night in the piano bar and had a blast. Bruce is a sweet and talented Scotsman (excellent accent!). Lower key than some. His playlist is varied and always includes lots more than what is just on the list he hands out, but pretty lean when it comes to current songs.

He does a good job making everyone feel included and welcome and absolutely loves audience participation, often dropping out and letting the audience sing and pointing out and featuring someone who is singing along enthusiastically. He's got an extra microphone for people who want to sing and it often got passed around. Early on he often does trivia and "Name that Tune" stuff to help people get involved (I can name that tune in 250 notes! LOL)

It can get a bit repetitious as he finds what works with his audience, on our cruise he had 20 somethings to 70 somethings in his bar, and he works to please everyone, that was quite an age gap to straddle. And he accommodates requests as he can, almost to a fault... Oh, if I never hear "Rhinestone Cowboy" again, it will be too soon! LOL!

His is one of those piano bars where it can be nice just listening and chatting with just a few people in the bar (as it was early on the first night) or a lot of fun with a big raucous group which it became later on in the cruise. The people in the bar and their willingness to participate definitely make a big difference. Seats around the bar were at a premium by the second night of our cruise as his "hardcores" found their way to the bar. The first night worried him a bit as he said that the previous two cruises were rip-roaring from the get go.

Just make sure it's after midnight before you ask him what his favorite thing to wear under his kilt is! LOL!"

There were some other good comments about him much further back in the thread before he took a couple year break from Carnival.

By all means go and have a good time. He appreciates people who love piano bars.

And make sure you tell him that "girrny b*tch" Laura says hello!

Happy Cruising,

Laura

BTW, here is a picture of him from that cruise. Click the thumbnail to view larger.

2650080840049731243gGNKvq_th.jpg

Big D,

Here are couple from way back when he was on the Spirit in 2006:

Bruce Mcghie from Scotland aboard the Carnival Spirit worked the Shanghai Bar each night and was fantastic. He had a loyal following, once the karaoke scene shut down and folks wanted to continue to exercise their pipes....

Bruce McGhie, currently appearing nightly in the Shanghai Lounge on the Spirit. He is great, has a phenomenal request list, and makes for a great night out.

Cheers!

Mal

Happy Cruising,

Laura

Got some dates from Ron Pass, he's doing a couple of weeks on the Triumph in October before heading to the Liberty for the big to do when it comes out of drydock.

That is great news! Any idea on how long his contract will be? (Hoping he will still be there when we board in January!)

That is great news! Any idea on how long his contract will be? (Hoping he will still be there when we board in January!)

He doesn't have an end date yet, but I don't think it will be much past the end of November. His website lists a private party the 2nd week in December and he usually has a regular gig in Puerto Vallarta during the winter.

Happy cruising,

Laura

He doesn't have an end date yet, but I don't think it will be much past the end of November. His website lists a private party the 2nd week in December and he usually has a regular gig in Puerto Vallarta during the winter.

Happy cruising,

Laura

Oh well - thanks for the info (guess it was too good to be true?) - hope we get someone just as fun! (last 2 cruises it was dismal!)

Just an update for the post drydock Elation.

Conquest: Wally B. 6/12/2011 - 9/4/2011

Destiny: Seth Gibson current - 9/10/2011

Destiny: Russell Villarin 9/10/2011 - ???

Dream: Milburn Dumas 6/26/2011 - 9/3/2011

Dream: Dave Filsinger 9/3/2011 - 3/3/2012

Ecstasy: Russell Villarin 2/24/2011 - 9/8/2011

Elation: Bruce McGhie 1/24/2011 - 10/22/2011

Elation: Drydock 10/22/2011 - 11/05/2011

Elation: Tom Grable 11/05/2011 - 5/5/2011

Fantasy: Hrvoje "H" Knezevic 7/16/2011 - 10/12/2011

Fascination: Lawrence Maconaghy 7/23/2011 - ???

Freedom: Richard Yerkes current - 8/21/2011

Freedom: Marty Gast 8/21/2011 - 1/14/2012

Glory: Doug Ross 6/27/2011 - 8/27/2011

Glory: Tom Riccio 8/27/2011 - ???

Imagination: Angela Johnson 7/11/2011 - 11/4/2011

Inspiration: Jafar Curry 7/10/2011 - 12/3/2011

Legend: Lizl Strauss 7/15/2011 - 10/2/2011

Liberty: Pollyanna Jones 7/16/2011 - 10/8/2011

Liberty: Drydock 10/8/2011 - 10/22/2011

Liberty: Ron Pass 10/22/2011 - ??? www.ronpass.com

Magic: James "Jim" Morris 7/10/2011 - 1/15/2011

Miracle: Billy J. Clay 5/14/2011 - 9/11/2011

Paradise: Jordan Heppner 6/3/2011 - 10/7/2011

Pride: James Quigley 7/31/2011 - 12/4/2011

Sensation: Adam Saxe 5/22/2011 - 9/1/2011

Sensation: Barry Miller 9/1/2011 - ???

Spirit: Keith Turner 7/19/2011 - 1/6/2012

Splendor: Jason Davis current - 11/13/2011

Triumph: Lorraine Ingle 5/14/2011 - 9/21/2011 www.lorraineingle.com

Triumph: Ron Pass 10/6/2011 - 10/20/2011 www.ronpass.com

Valor: Rob Crucilla 6/5/2011 - 9/18/2011

Valor: Brad Alexander 9/18/2011 - 12/11/2011 www.bradalexanderonline.com

Victory: Thomas Grable current - 9/4/2011

*** A note about this list: This list is compiled from reports and reviews of current cruisers and reports from the entertainers themselves. There is no guarantee of accuracy. An actual date usually means that the schedule has been confirmed by either the performer or someone inside Carnival. Schedules are subject to change.

Conquest: Wally B. 6/12/2011 - 9/4/2011

Destiny: Seth Gibson current - 9/10/2011

Destiny: Russell Villarin 9/10/2011 - ???

Dream: Milburn Dumas 6/26/2011 - 9/3/2011

Dream: Dave Filsinger 9/3/2011 - 3/3/2012

Ecstasy: Russell Villarin 2/24/2011 - 9/8/2011

Elation: Bruce McGhie 1/24/2011 - 10/22/2011

Elation: Drydock 10/22/2011 - 11/05/2011

Elation: Tom Grable 11/05/2011 - 5/5/2012

Fantasy: Hrvoje "H" Knezevic 7/16/2011 - 10/12/2011

Fascination: Lawrence Maconaghy 7/23/2011 - ???

Fascination: Duane Lewis 9/12/2011 - 10/1/2011

Freedom: Marty Gast 8/21/2011 - 1/14/2012

Glory: Doug Ross 6/27/2011 - 8/27/2011

Glory: Tom Riccio 8/27/2011 - ???

Imagination: Angela Johnson 7/11/2011 - 11/4/2011

Inspiration: Jafar Curry 7/10/2011 - 12/3/2011

Legend: Lizl Strauss 7/15/2011 - 10/2/2011

Liberty: Pollyanna Jones 7/16/2011 - 10/8/2011

Liberty: Drydock 10/8/2011 - 10/22/2011

Liberty: Ron Pass 10/22/2011 - ??? www.ronpass.com

Magic: James "Jim" Morris 7/10/2011 - 1/15/2011

Miracle: Billy J. Clay 5/14/2011 - 9/11/2011

Paradise: Jordan Heppner 6/3/2011 - 10/7/2011

Pride: James Quigley 7/31/2011 - 12/4/2011

Sensation: Adam Saxe 5/22/2011 - 9/1/2011

Sensation: Barry Miller 9/1/2011 - ???

Spirit: Keith Turner 7/19/2011 - 1/6/2012

Splendor: Jason Davis current - 11/13/2011

Triumph: Lorraine Ingle 5/14/2011 - 9/21/2011 www.lorraineingle.com

Triumph: Ron Pass 10/6/2011 - 10/20/2011 www.ronpass.com

Valor: Rob Crucilla 6/5/2011 - 9/18/2011

Valor: Brad Alexander 9/18/2011 - 12/11/2011 www.bradalexanderonline.com

Victory: Thomas Grable current - 9/4/2011

*** A note about this list: This list is compiled from reports and reviews of current cruisers and reports from the entertainers themselves. There is no guarantee of accuracy. An actual date usually means that the schedule has been confirmed by either the performer or someone inside Carnival. Schedules are subject to change.

Hey Laura - batten down your hatches - looks like we're gonna take a direct hit from Irene! Stay safe!

Thanks you too! W e are debating going up to visit my BF's mother in Binghamton this weekend. We were supposed to go see Lyle Lovett down in Red Bank, NJ on Sunday night, but I'm guessing that ain't gonna happen.

Take care!

I'm leaving on Miracle tomorrow out of NYC. Leaving my car at the port - hope it will still be there when we get back! Also looking forward to Billy J. Clay in the piano bar. Will give a report when I get back.

Getting out of town just in time huh? Well at least the port parking is on the roof of the port. So if the wind doesn't blow it off it won't get flooded!

I really enjoyed Billy when I sailed with him on the Destiny in March of 2010.

Have fun!

Happy cruising,

Laura

There are a bunch of new policies which makes it extremely difficult for any good entertainer to be on a cruise ship. New policies on Carnival ships are quite tough :

PianoBar is Non-Smoking!! Because a few sissies cannot 'take' the smoke! Reality check: It is a painobar, unfortunately the smoke is a part of it. It would be like saying, "I want to go to the superbowl but I cant take the crowd'!

Piano Bar Entertainer is NOT allowed to smoke in any guest area! Not even on Lido Deck!

Pianobar Entertainer Must keep alcohol content BELOW .08 ( In case he has to drive the boat?)

PianoBar Entertainer is NOT allowed to solicit tips as there is a growing number of guests who finds this offensive! Aah..... Nevermind.

Pianobar Entertainer is NOT allowed to get room service after work. Only option is Pizza, IF there is no line. If there is few people in line, he MUST wait until everyone is served before he can approach.

Too Many to list here, so next time you go to the pianobar on a fun ship, understand that the guy playing the piano has 100 rules to follow. These rules has NOTHING to do with being a pianobar entertainer. As a result of this, NO really talented musician is going to stoop to this slavery style of living for 4 months away from his family. Especially when the cheap crowd refuse to tip. They know who they are.

Enjoy your mediocre pianoman on your next cruise. As long as he sings 'pianoman', that is all most simple minds need from a pianobar. Most guests dont really appreciate true talent anyways, hence the reason why Karaoke always makes the 'TOP TEN' in the daily capers, or as they call it now, the "FUN TIMES". How cute.

Getting out of town just in time huh? Well at least the port parking is on the roof of the port. So if the wind doesn't blow it off it won't get flooded!

I really enjoyed Billy when I sailed with him on the Destiny in March of 2010.

Laura

Actually, I was kinda worried about my car getting blown off!:p And I hope they have good drainage on the roof. I am glad to see you liked Billy. Haven't heard too much about him. Good luck this weekend - hope Irene fizzles!

There are a bunch of new policies which makes it extremely difficult for any good entertainer to be on a cruise ship. New policies on Carnival ships are quite tough :

PianoBar is Non-Smoking!! Because a few sissies cannot 'take' the smoke! Reality check: It is a painobar, unfortunately the smoke is a part of it. It would be like saying, "I want to go to the superbowl but I cant take the crowd'!

Piano Bar Entertainer is NOT allowed to smoke in any guest area! Not even on Lido Deck!

Pianobar Entertainer Must keep alcohol content BELOW .08 ( In case he has to drive the boat?)

PianoBar Entertainer is NOT allowed to solicit tips as there is a growing number of guests who finds this offensive! Aah..... Nevermind.

Pianobar Entertainer is NOT allowed to get room service after work. Only option is Pizza, IF there is no line. If there is few people in line, he MUST wait until everyone is served before he can approach.

Too Many to list here, so next time you go to the pianobar on a fun ship, understand that the guy playing the piano has 100 rules to follow. These rules has NOTHING to do with being a pianobar entertainer. As a result of this, NO really talented musician is going to stoop to this slavery style of living for 4 months away from his family. Especially when the cheap crowd refuse to tip. They know who they are.

Enjoy your mediocre pianoman on your next cruise. As long as he sings 'pianoman', that is all most simple minds need from a pianobar. Most guests dont really appreciate true talent anyways, hence the reason why Karaoke always makes the 'TOP TEN' in the daily capers, or as they call it now, the "FUN TIMES". How cute.

Welcome to CC:rolleyes: You might have made a good case, with some good points. However, your delivery is sadly lacking. If you want to garner some empathy for the piano bar entertainers (sounds like you may be or know a disgruntled one), you don't do it by also trashing the customers. Just food for thought....:rolleyes:

Actually, I was kinda worried about my car getting blown off!:p And I hope they have good drainage on the roof. I am glad to see you liked Billy. Haven't heard too much about him. Good luck this weekend - hope Irene fizzles!

Good luck on your cruise....looks like you're sailing into the mouth of the lion!:eek: But the Miracle is awesome....have a great time!:)

Well, judging by your only other post, you must be a fan/friend of Brian Ames, who left the Splendor "unexpectedly" a couple weeks ago, hence the nature of your post.

The changes in policy regarding the entertainers have been happening for the last few years . We are quite aware of the effect that it has had on the ability of Carnival to get and keep good entertainers. That doesn't mean they don't have any good entertainers though, there are very good entertainers on some of the ships that can work within the confines of Carnival's restrictions.

As far as the non smoking piano bar policy is concerned, this has been applauded by several of the entertainers and many are reporting upswings in atmosphere and attendance.

Not being able to smoke in passenger smoking areas? They can thank their fellow staff members who abused it... right in front of Gerry Cahill and other big wigs, for that restriction.

Carnival is the only cruise line that actually allows a tip jar. I have not heard from any other entertainer that this is no longer so.

Frankly, passengers can barely get room service these days, an hour and a half last time I tried.

Nobody's happy about the restrictions, at least nobody who appreciates the piano bar, which most of the folks who frequent this thread too. We see the effect of the changes, several very popular entertainers have left Carnival because of it. Others do much shorter contracts less often.

The fact of the matter is that nothing will change until it bottoms out, until Rob King can no longer find butts for the benches, hence all the newbies.

Like I said, there are still several very talented entertainers newbies as well as veterans on the ships. The gentleman who replaced your friend for instance has quite a following.

I'm sorry your friend did not last on the Splendor, but I'm sure he was apprised of the rules when he signed on. (or should I be sorry that he lasted into the penalty period for cancelling your cruise?)

I have to say though that posting a rant about Carnival and it's restrictive ship board life on this particular thread is kind of preaching to the choir!

Happy cruising,

Laura

I tell you who I was not impressed with and that was Seth on the Destiny. While he had a great voice ( and was very pleasant on the eyes), he did not know many songs so his catalogue was VERY limited. He only stayed at the piano bar until 12:30am most nights even when the bar had plenty of people in it.

When I was on the Victory in 2010, Angela knew every song requested and if she didn't she would learn it from her I-pod and play it for you. And every single night she stayed until 2:00am no matter if there was a packed house or just a few people.

I tell you who I was not impressed with and that was Seth on the Destiny. While he had a great voice ( and was very pleasant on the eyes), he did not know many songs so his catalogue was VERY limited. He only stayed at the piano bar until 12:30am most nights even when the bar had plenty of people in it.

When I was on the Victory in 2010, Angela knew every song requested and if she didn't she would learn it from her I-pod and play it for you. And every single night she stayed until 2:00am no matter if there was a packed house or just a few people.

Amy, I agree! Really liked Angela a few years back, and will be seeing her again in October, hopefully go diving w/ also.

Brad

I used to smoke two packs a day but was in ill health; turns out I was allergic to smoke - 'doh! Name calling? Really? I think it's nice that anyone who is allergic or even worse, has asthma, can actually enjoy this fun activity now. In the past I just dealt with the smoke situation because I enjoy the piano bar, but it's a known health risk and bad for the vocal cords. Hellooooo!?!?! :eek:

I guess I'm lucky I live in Oregon, no smoking indoors, even in bars :)

I'm leaving on Miracle tomorrow out of NYC. Leaving my car at the port - hope it will still be there when we get back! Also looking forward to Billy J. Clay in the piano bar. Will give a report when I get back.

Could you ask him when he is leaving the Miracle. List says 9 11 but heard that Carnival was asking him to stay another week.

Have a great time.

I stand corrected. The non smoking policy in a piano bar is great. Cant wait for the no drinking policy. Drinking is actually worse for your health than smoking! As a doctor, I KNOW this. A few sissies cannot take the smoke, ok, lets ban it! It is the american way!

As a frequent cruiser, I have seen how this affects the pianobar, which is why I posted here. I am not ranting! I'm only voicing what I observed. Let's just make the whole world non smoking, that would be fun.

Archived