Cabins on higher decks?

Hi all. I’m new to cruising. I’ve only done one. I’m very excited about cruising on this great ship.

I’m trying to decide which deck to book. Is there a big difference between deck six and deck nine? I’m booking a balcony cabin. I noticed it costs a little bit more to be on the higher decks for the same cabin type. Could someone please shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

Jen :)

Hi all. I’m new to cruising. I’ve only done one. I’m very excited about cruising on this great ship.

I’m trying to decide which deck to book. Is there a big difference between deck six and deck nine? I’m booking a balcony cabin. I noticed it costs a little bit more to be on the higher decks for the same cabin type. Could someone please shed some light on this for me?

Thanks,

:o Good Question...I am also interested in any answers you get to it.

I have booked and my cabin is on Deck 7. I always thought that the higher decks were better and had less motion, but I am not sure.

I sure hope someone answers this one, for you...and for me! LOL.

:o HAPPY CRUISING!:o

:o Good Question...I am also interested in any answers you get to it.

I have booked and my cabin is on Deck 7. I always thought that the higher decks were better and had less motion, but I am not sure.

I sure hope someone answers this one, for you...and for me! LOL.

:o HAPPY CRUISING!:o

Actually the opposite is true. A cabin on a higher deck has more motion than a cabin in the same location on a lower deck.

The closer you are to the water, and the closer you are to the center of the ship (bow-to-stern), the less motion. As you go up and/or out, the motion increases.

actually the higher up you are the more motion there is... best location for little or no motion is lower decks mid ship... prices increase as you go up decks because of location and they seem to be more sought after.. (second after afts and humps) higher up, closer to pool deck and windjammer, etc.. also better views from balconies... I am sure others can enlighten some reasons why higher is better? Maybe??

The lower the deck the less sway. Also mid ship has less sway. The main dinning rooms are always on lower decks for this reason. The upper decks have the balconies and are more centrally located to get to the pool and public decks and therefore cost more. The larger rooms and suites are on the upper decks also making them more expensive.

I wasn't aware that RCI prices went up for higher deck. They have E1/2 and D1/2 cabins on decks 6 through 10 on our upcoming Freedom cruise and the only difference in price is the difference between the E's and D's. And the D's are more $ cause of the size. Not the deck. When I booked my E1 balcony cabin, I had a choice of any deck from 6-10. I guess it may be different for different ships.

We went on Voyager last year and had a Cat D1 on deck 9 and did not have a prob. with motion. Thats funny I always thought the closer you are to the water the more motion you feel:p We are going to be on deck 10 in a aft in December we love to be high up for us it is more relaxing.

Voyager Western Caribbean 12/16/06

Voyager Eastern Caribbean 11/26/05

S.S. Azure Seas Mex. 11/90

Regarding the motion---Try this little test--Put a pencil point down on a table and have it be straight up. Then swing the pencil from side to side. Where is there more motion? Near the top where the eraser is. The point doesn't move much but the eraser sure does.

It's the same principle with a ship. The higher you go, the more motion you feel. Having said that, I still go for the higher decks. I love being able to see more from my balcony.

I just thought of another reason people like the higher decks. As mentioned previously, they are closer to the buffet, spa, gym etc. If someone wants to come home and brag that he/she walked the stairs to/from the buffet, if one is on deck 9 and one is on deck 4, who got more exercise? But, most people wouldn't say, gee, it was only 1 deck to the buffet. Just a thought, lol.

No matter which deck, enjoy your cruise.

Thanks,

As others have already noted, you will feel more motion the higher up you are and if you are aft or forward. On my recent cruise aboard the Mariner of the Seas, we had the choice of a balcony cabin on Deck 8 or 10 and we chose Deck 10.

It seemed there were a lot of suites on Deck 10, so I figured being a first-time cruiser that if it was good enough for them, it was good enough for us. And we weren't disappointed.

Yes, we did feel a lot more motion -- we had a forward cabin (about five cabins from the bridge) -- but just some gentle swaying. It wasn't that bad at all until the last night when we were being chased by Tropical Storm Alberto. If you get seasick easily, take Bonamine and you'll be OK.

I really liked being higher up and enjoyed the view from there. Plus, it was a bonus to take a short walk from our cabin, go up one level and be on the pool deck. I guess that would be one of the perks.

Thanks,

The higher deck is going to cost more. The view for the most part will be pretty much the same on either deck. On the higher deck you will be able to see a greater distance because of the height, but when at sea and all you can see is ocean anyway does it matter?

If the sea is rough you will notice more movement on the higher deck, but it is my impression on most ships today you notice more up and down movement (front to back) than a side sway (the stabilizers do a good job of damping the side to side motion). To avoid up and down movement book a cabin as close to the middle of the ship as possible.

I think there is also the perception that higher decks are somehow more prestigious, perhaps a holdover from the days when that was true.

LOL, we usually book a D1 on deck 10 because we like to be closer to the "action". It's really convienient to walk one flight up and "be there".

So, our "prestigious" actually translates to "lazy"!!!:D

This is a minor consideration, but for a balcony cabin where you might want to sit outside for a meal or to watch the ship dock, etc., the higher decks sometimes can see over the buildings that are on the pier. I had a starboard D1 balcony on Deck nine on Radiance, about 1/3 of the way from the stern (#9636), and had dinner on the balcony watching the fog roll in half-way across the Golden Gate bridge at sunset in San Francisco! Not all the balconies below me could see it because of the terminal buidings next to the ship.

It was my first cruise, and I didn't know how a ship's motion might affect me--no problems!

Have a great time in whatever cabin you choose.

The higher deck is going to cost more. The view for the most part will be pretty much the same on either deck. On the higher deck you will be able to see a greater distance because of the height, but when at sea and all you can see is ocean anyway does it matter?.

I still don't understand this. When I booked my upcoming cruise on Freedom, I booked an E1 cabin. It was the SAME price for any deck I wanted. I had a choice of an E1 on deck 6,7,8,9 or 10. And it was all the same price. I mentioned this before, but no one answered me.

An E1 on any deck will cost the same price. Where it does matter which deck you are on is with an inside cabin. An inside cabin on deck 7 will usually cost less than the same size inside cabin on deck 10 (same position on that deck, just 3 decks up).

An E1 on any deck will cost the same price. Where it does matter which deck you are on is with an inside cabin. An inside cabin on deck 7 will usually cost less than the same size inside cabin on deck 10 (same position on that deck, just 3 decks up).

That is what I thought. So why is everyone talking about the higher the deck the more expensive BUT the better the view?

Well, we decided to book a cabin on deck nine. We were able to get an aft corner cabin sailing on the Liberty next year. We were on deck nine on the last cruise we were on and it was too bad in terms of motion. Can’t wait. :)

Regarding the motion---Try this little test--Put a pencil point down on a table and have it be straight up.

That test of your doesn't compare unless you move the pencil point off the table. Unless you're sailing on a Norwegian ship in Bermuda. :eek:

:p Well, THANKS everyone for all these great replies and info on the 'higher/lower/motion or not' question.

I am planning on getting some meds from the doc before I go cause I DO get motion sickness. So I don't think I will have a problem.

As for the view...well we went the 'cheap' way and got an inside cabin. We are planning on spending most of our time with our 2 friends who will be going with us in various areas of the ship & at port. Their cabin is on the same deck/area as ours. So our cabin will only be a place to shower/sleep/change clothes. So we felt no need to spend extra $$$ for a 'view' we would probably not use much.

Nice of all of you to help out with this question...thanks again!

:o Happy Cruising!:o

Hi, FitzLA,

Is it possible that although the price for an E1 is the same on the decks you mentioned, the position of available cabins with regard to forward, mid or aft is different? When I was booking my current cruise, I found that on some ships, the higher you went (for the same price), the cabins were likely to be farther from mid-ship.

I'm too new at this to know how often this applies, and I wonder if it can even change according to itinerary/season/demand?

Glad monakayk and Da Bute found solutions for their situations.

Hi, FitzLA,

Is it possible that although the price for an E1 is the same on the decks you mentioned, the position of available cabins with regard to forward, mid or aft is different? When I was booking my current cruise, I found that on some ships, the higher you went (for the same price), the cabins were likely to be farther from mid-ship.

I'm too new at this to know how often this applies, and I wonder if it can even change according to itinerary/season/demand?

Glad monakayk and Da Bute found solutions for their situations.

Nope. We originally booked a E1 midship and then switched to a E1 corner aft....and it was still the same price. I think it mostly applies to the interior and ocean view rooms. Balconies are the same across the board.

I keep reading about having more motion the higher you are up and the closer to the front you are. Now my room is located on deck 10 towards the back of the boat. How does that go when motion is concerned? I am also quite new to cruising, my second one, so excuse this question if it seems silly.

Archived