Do you have to be a strong swimmer to enjoy snorkeling?

kaikaixinxin

It all depends on where you are snorkeling and under what conditions.

If you are with a cattleboat snorkel trip in calm waters, they give you a snorkle vest, fins, snorkle and a mask. There is little effort to the stroke, but you just have to be comfortable with your physical condition and how far you are going to swim.

It can be as lazy or strenuous as you want.

There is no real "standard of practice" for snorkeling versus SCUBA>

Some of us experienced are going beyond just a vest. I would state that

a CO2 inflatable vest is the best option.

Yes they cost a bit more. Hassles. But trust me if you have a problem do you think you can blow the standard vest up fast enough?

i do suspect in time all vests will have a capsule to inflate the vest.

Doc

You will float like a cork in salt water. Use a vest if you need to for any reason. Comfort in the water is everything, so do it within your personal comfort zone.

Fins and a safety vest can do a lot to increase your comfort level in the water and facilitate snorkeling for a 'not so strong' swimmer.

But you MUST remain aware of your surroundings and conditions. Currents and just your own inattention can put you in bad situations.

I mention this while remembering the couple who went snorkeling with us in USVI a few years ago; and the subsequent nearly 1 mile tow I had of the Mrs who discovered she couldn't make it back to the boat cuz she wasn't quite as strong as she thought she was, despite fins and a vest. Oh, the charter capt' saw me waving a distress call. He waved back with enthusiasm :rolleyes:

:o As suggested...use a vest while snorkeling!

I was a first timer this past Sept. in Hawaii, and my DH insisted that I DID NOT need to have a vest so he didn't rent me one when he got the rest of the gear.

I went out in the water with him and could hardly stay on top of the water. So I hung on his arm for dear life the entire time I was swimming in the water. Needless to say, when I got back to shore, I went directly over to the rental shack and rented a vest myself. Even when my DH said I just wasted $6....I knew I didn't cause I enjoyed myself a lot more not feeling like I had to hang on to his arm or I would sink!

RENT A VEST! You will enjoy yourself a lot more.:o

As a swimmer, I super stink. I'm pretty good at dog paddling but get tired easily and freak if above my shoulders. Went to Puerto Rico with some friends in May and I decided we should go snorkeling. I freaked for about the first two minutes. Then I was totally comfortable as long as I could touch. And I had a blast. I just wish I'd gotten a vest so I could've gone out with my friends... I plan to be fully equipped for the cruise I'm going on in a couple months so I can fully enjoy. So, my advice: get a vest and enjoy!

Some more advice, get some swimming lessons.... I too had water issues. Love the water, the ocean but would get scared if things were out of my control or water over my head unexpectedly....:eek: So I took some lessons before learning to dive.. Now I snorkel and dive.... it helped alot.. I took private lessons so as not to compete with the kids:rolleyes: Now I'm half fish.... Well almost.....lol.....

One suggestion, use a noodle. Actually half (or a third of) a noodle.

My wife is a non-swimmer. She's afraid of the water. Last year in our Hawaii cruise trip, I bought snorkel gears for us. When we were in Hanauma Bay in Oahu, and later in Ke'e Beach in Kauai, she did snorkel but was still afraid.

In Kona on a boat snorkel trip (while I dived), the boat provide wetsuit for my wife and friends, and also noodles. That really helped. My wife (and friends) were able to hang on to the noodles in front of them (or held under the chest), and felt comfortable in water. They were able to enjoy seeing all the undersea life, the coral growth, and all the different fish.

In this year's cruise trip, she will be bringing a noodle with her.

I'm not a very good skier .... actually I've only been on skis a handfull of times. Should I go skiing?

Of course! Why not? But I'm proably wize to know the difference 'tween thos silly diamonds and squares and circles and stuff. Vail may not be for me yet.... I did Tahoe - had a blast - on the beginner slopes (and in the bar :p )

Know your limits ...

I must also add a warning to using a noodle or other type of 'hang on to' flotation aid. BE SURE you can swim well enough to get back to safety should you get separated from it!

My wife and I have snorkeled before and it really depends on what you want to do. I swim like a rock so need fins, my wife swims like a fish and uses aquasocks (hard rubber sole nylon slippers). Neither of us have used vests and have smokeled for hours. I like to go deep and wife likes to stay on the surface. Neither of us has drift snorkeled, but from what I've read in the forums, people are exhausted after an hour. If you want to go deep make sure your nose and ears are clear and equallize every few feet down. Snorkeling is real fun, so enjoy the water. As others have stated, be comfortable in your surroundings. Would I call myself a strong swimmer? No.

TracyB730 I would suggest not going snorkeling from a boat. Snorkeling vests are not life preservers and in clear water its very easy to float unknowingly into deep water. Go into the water from shore and walk the area first to set up land marks, note the tide tables for the area (the local charters should know when high and low tides are), once you have your boundaries go back to shore, put on the snorkel equipment, and have a blast. If you can float, you can snorkel. It really is amazing how many beautiful fish live in less than 5 feet of water. Read the excursion details carefully, most will say if the snorkeling is done from a beach or boat.

Tracy, the other thing I like about shore snorkeling is that it's easy to go back to shore or into shallower water if you tire or feel uneasy. It took me a long time to feel comfortable getting into the deep water from a boat. I can do it fairly easily now, but whether a boat snorkel or from shore, I never snorkel w/o a flotation vest.

• 1 month later...

Archived