Carnival Secrets they usually don't tell you about

Cinderellie

And lets not forget the 4k rooms on some ships! Gotta love french doors with an obstructed view at interior prices, too!

So far I think those two big secrets in my mind. When it deals with saving a little dough and having a good time.. Yea baby! let the goodtimes roll :D

At the beginning of this thread was at tip to ask the room steward for the book in the room and they will give it to you. Does this still happen ( the thread was dated 2004) and what kind of book are we talking about?

thanks

debbie

I'm not sure they still exist with cutbacks but it was a book that previous cruisers that stayed it that cabin would write their experiences onboard. You could read the text and add your own.

And lets not forget the 4k rooms on some ships! Gotta love french doors with an obstructed view at interior prices, too!

Just checked prices of these against 1A on a 7 day. Only $384 more to have a view and some air. How do these work? The door opens but there's no place to go out to, right?

I'm not sure they still exist with cutbacks but it was a book that previous cruisers that stayed it that cabin would write their experiences onboard. You could read the text and add your own.

Never saw anything like that. There was a book about Carnival with pictures of ships and I believe that's the book talked about.

bobsfamily, did you know there is a tour company by that name? On one trip I saw well over 200 people in blue shirts with Bob's Family written on it and asked if they were having a reunion. None of them knew the others, it was a group tour.

At the beginning of this thread was at tip to ask the room steward for the book in the room and they will give it to you. Does this still happen ( the thread was dated 2004) and what kind of book are we talking about?

thanks

debbie

Yes, they still have the ones that list all the tours and overpriced jewelry for sale at the approved stores on shore. The one in the cabin is hard bound. They have paper covered versions that they will give to the passangers. If you ask your Steward for one they will be happy to get it for you.

In the front of the ship on the decks between the Bridge, and Promanade Decks there are unmarked standard doors that lead to wooden exterior doors on each side of the ships deck that lead outside. There are also stairways that you can use to go up/down to different decks. (note-sometimes they are roped off) These are common areas but are usually quite empty of passengers. In fact I stumble upon more crew members having a cigarette breaks than passengers when I am out there. There are wooden benches to sit on, and the view is pretty good too. Thing is-when the ship is moving it gets quite windy. But, this is a way for inside cabin people to get the feel of having their own balcony.

Never saw anything like that. There was a book about Carnival with pictures of ships and I believe that's the book talked about.

bobsfamily, did you know there is a tour company by that name? On one trip I saw well over 200 people in blue shirts with Bob's Family written on it and asked if they were having a reunion. None of them knew the others, it was a group tour.

WOW... what a hoot!

The name of my company is Rent a Bob... and it gets noticed.

If I ever have employees outside the family they will have shirts that say BOB in the name area and Rent A Bob on the back.

The book goes back many years and used to be the "thing". People would write to future guests of the cabin and share their onboard experiences. Sometimes it would disappear (about the time something was written that was bad about the cabin/cruise) and a new one would be started. It started kinda going out late 80's and 90's. I have not seen the "book" in years.

Don't know if this qualifies as an actual "cruise" question or not :rolleyes:

...but any thoughts on underwater cameras? Never been snorkeling, so we want to take the snorkeling excursion, and want nice pics. Any suggestions as to what brand waterproof camera to get? ...or other snorkeling suggestions?

I would look at the Canon Powershot D10 $279 at Amazon:http://www.amazon.com/Canon-PowerShot-D10-Waterproof-Stabilized/dp/B001SER460/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1261703287&sr=8-1

Of all the waterproof digital point and shoots it is rated to be water resistant to 33 feet (most are only good to 10 feet). There is a special accessory kit that gives you some neat options for $100 as well.

Oh yeah it does video as well. Here are some videos taken from Canon D10's underwater! http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=canon+d10+underwater&search_type=&aq=1&oq=canon+d10

I plan on getting one later on before my trip in July. I plan on taking some videos of zip lining, snorkeling and hopefully a seaplane flight in Roaton.

Not trying to be a stick in the mud on the FRS-GMRS radios, but the higher power ones (any GMRS capable ones)do actually require a license ($75-85 for 5 years) and are good for use in the United States and its Territories (aka Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, etc) but not other countries where the FCC has no jurisdiction. IOW depending on the country, you may be operating an illegal radio. I am sure it gets overlooked, but the possibility of getting into trouble remains. So use on shore excursions or in port at your own risk...

Also technically since the ships are not US flagged they could be considered illegal... however I have yet to hear anyone get in trouble for this...

Like I said I personally don't care if anyone uses 2 way radios or not on a cruise, I just want folks to be aware that there is a gray and a black and white area in using these do so at your own risk.

I usually carry my ham radio with me (walkie talkie sized) and I have to be licensed in each country that we visit (as well as the country the ship is flagged in) as well as receive permission from the captain. I am also subject to the rules of those countries if I operate my radio in a way that violates their laws, but it is pretty cool to talk to the locals while in port :)

Just sayin...

I'm making my way thru this LONG thread (lots of great info btw) but am really surprised by the number of people taking lunch items, from the ship, to their various ports. We enjoy trying the local cuisine. Do people take food from the ship to save money or are afraid getting sick from eating the food off the ship?

Monica

A cheese sandwich could have a culture that is not present at the port you stop.. you never know. The apple is eaten BUT ALL of it? What you throw in the trash could have "stuff" on it/in it. The safest thing to do is not introduce foodstuffs into the environment...

I know it happens daily but why add to it.

In the front of the ship on the decks between the Bridge, and Promanade Decks there are unmarked standard doors that lead to wooden exterior doors on each side of the ships deck that lead outside. There are also stairways that you can use to go up/down to different decks. (note-sometimes they are roped off) These are common areas but are usually quite empty of passengers. In fact I stumble upon more crew members having a cigarette breaks than passengers when I am out there. There are wooden benches to sit on, and the view is pretty good too. Thing is-when the ship is moving it gets quite windy. But, this is a way for inside cabin people to get the feel of having their own balcony.

On the Conquest class ships the doors are in the front on decks 6 and 7. There are stairs outside between the two, but the stairs down from 6 to 5 are roped off because that is a crew only area. (The rope has a sign that says crew only.)That's why you have only seen crew members on that deck. They're the only ones supposed to be there.

Do people take food from the ship to save money or are afraid getting sick from eating the food off the ship?

Monica

There are probably as many answers to this question as there are people answering it, but I personally am not eager to test the quality of food sanitation in some of these countries.

HOWEVER, I also respect the laws of the country I am visiting, and I ONLY take pre-packaged, sealed, manufactured food items with me. (It is a necessity for me to keep food readily available for medical reasons, but that doesn't mean I am going to turn up my nose at foreign law. I would also hate to be singled out as a lawbreaker and required to pay a fine. Just not worth it to me.)

I have cruised several lines and many many times on Carnival lines. I still found this thread quite interesting. There are many great thoughts some of which I will be using myself having never heard of them before. But my overall response to this thread is to one blogger who said to expect people to cut in line, people to pay less for cruise, and other expectations that seem to disappoint us, but then many bloggers do nothing but tell everyone how to get past the rules-- how to cut in line, how to smuggle alcohol etc.

As a avid cruisers, I respect the rules because they are there for a reason-- mostly being for our safety and the safety of all the cruisers.

My one request for all cruisers is from past experience in a wheelchair. Let's all and I mean all, try to help those in wheelchairs get an elevator. All you have to do is sit back and watch how rude we can all be when it comes to getting that elevator. You know, everyone on the cruise ship is there to have a good time so let's all be good neighbors and make friends instead of making memories of rude people. I don't know about you, but I would rather people who will never see me again remember me for being a nice and helpful person instead of one who knew how to get around the rules and being rude.

On the Conquest there is Sur Mer a seafood place upstairs in the buffet area. They cook the food fresh to order. The hours are limited. If you go the first day it will not be crowded. People do not realize it is there but later in the cruise they will discover it.

I posted this "secret" several years ago and was flamed by some troll. But here goes anyway.

I secure $2 dollar bills from my bank and use them to tip. With over 2 thousand people on board I find that room service, bartenders, ect. tend to remember a guest who tips with a $2 bill. I have even received free drinks from bartenders.

The flamer who attacked me thought that since there was no room in a cash register for a $2 bill that they were somehow not real legal tender. FYI, the US mint still prints $2 bills. They are legal tender.

I have used these bills on numerous land vacations and the response is the same. The recipient is thrilled to receive them as they use them as presents for children, grandchildren, ect.

I posted this "secret" several years ago and was flamed by some troll. But here goes anyway.

I secure $2 dollar bills from my bank and use them to tip. With over 2 thousand people on board I find that room service, bartenders, ect. tend to remember a guest who tips with a $2 bill. I have even received free drinks from bartenders.

The flamer who attacked me thought that since there was no room in a cash register for a $2 bill that they were somehow not real legal tender. FYI, the US mint still prints $2 bills. They are legal tender.

I have used these bills on numerous land vacations and the response is the same. The recipient is thrilled to receive them as they use them as presents for children, grandchildren, ect.

I think it's okay! Too bad in Canada we have done away with our $2 bills - wonder if room service would like it if I gave them a Canadian toonie! :D - somehow I doubt it!! ha ha ha (will keep some US funny money on hand for this I guess?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_2_dollar_coin

The flamer who attacked me thought that since there was no room in a cash register for a $2 bill that they were somehow not real legal tender. FYI, the US mint still prints $2 bills. They are legal tender

That's hilarious! I guess $50 and $100 denominations are also not legal tender in his mind... :D:D

That's a great idea parafire!!!:cool:

Archived